RAM truck owners

TexasGuy

So I drove a couple vehicles this  weekend to tow my LEI on order. I was really impressed with the RAM drive and interior.     I have never owned a FCA product.   For those towing with 2019 or newer RAM 1500 any issues ? Would you buy it again?

TIA

2021 Legacy Elite II Hull #807 - 2021 F150 w/ 3.5L EB and max tow package 

We purchased a RAM 1/2 ton with the "Limited' trim level three years ago.  (2017 model) Very nice truck, nice interior and the newer ones look even nicer.  That said, because we purchased the top of the line trim level, with all options, plus adding a bed cap/canopy, we don't have much payload capacity left and it's a real issue since you have to deduct the tongue weight from the payload capacity.  Note that our payload capacity listed on the brochure is different that the sticker in the door because we have all the options like moonroof, running boards, 4x4, etc etc etc.  

You're probably fine with the Oliver Elite I, since your tongue weight will be less.  But figure on the weight you will add to the truck, including humans.   Just check those numbers on the door jam to figure it out.  We're looking at upgrading to a 3/4 ton, either RAM or Ford because we need a truck canopy to cover and secure the items we take with us (recumbent trikes and accessories, Honda generator, tools, ice chest, etc.). 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Steph and Steve Kimball

2019 Oliver Elite II ~ Twin

Hull No. 463

• Moderators

We towed with a 2016 Ram 1500 Lone Star edition for about 50K miles.  We liked it enough to trade it in on a 2020 Ram Rebel, same engine and drive train.  We like the comfort and features of the interior.  We had no issues with our 2016 1500 and had almost 100K miles on it when we traded it.  Our new Rebel is pretty loaded, some stuff not very necessary like the sunroof.  I’ve got about 1500 lbs of payload capacity, so with the tongue weight, tonneau cover  and stuff we carry we’re close to the limit.  We are very happy with our Ram.  Mike

• Thanks 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

Hi Tex.  We bought a 2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn ecodiesel 4x4 with air suspension and 3.92 rear axle last month in part for towing our LEII.  It has been absolutely a dream.  We have been all over flat Florida with it; in some cases we got 18 mpg.  The Ollie has the Anderson hitch. We didn't even know we it was behind us.  

One word of caution.  As has been pointed out on this and other forums, check the payload capacity.  Each option you get on the Ram will reduce the PC.  Our is only about 1200 lbs.  Don't believe the salesmen either - they will quote you a base trim model with 2wd and no options.  The PC for the specific vehicle will be posted inside the driver's door.   

Bottom line - no issues and we love it!

1903722072_OllieLEIIandLonghorn.thumb.jpg.e29844cfd43b180b8927023bbd4c2a19.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

ALARCTDEFLGAILINIAKYLAMEMDMAMSMONENHNJNY

2020 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel. LE2 hull# 344.

• Moderators

You're towing an ollie elite I? Ram is a delightful machine. Our 2008 has 200k on it, about half pulling the Ollie. Super.

• Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

14 hours ago, SeaDawg said:

You're towing an ollie elite I? Ram is a delightful machine. Our 2008 has 200k on it, about half pulling the Ollie. Super.

Not yet.  I have a 2021 Elite I on order!

• Like 1

2021 Legacy Elite II Hull #807 - 2021 F150 w/ 3.5L EB and max tow package 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators
21 minutes ago, TexasGuy said:

So RAM owners are Ramboxes worth the upgrade? Not crazy about how they look on side but looks super practical.  

I like mine.  Tools (plus other stuff, bungies, lubes, gloves, etc.) go there and not in a tool box in the bed under a bunch of stuff.  I won’t get a Ram without them.  

• Thanks 1

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

I would never choose the Ram Boxes for one big reason. You can’t use a canopy. That is a killer for me, no way would I make do with a tonneau cover. If they hinged in the opposite direction so one would work, no worries. They are like the Ollie’s inside cabinet and outside access panels, why do they go in the “wrong“ direction?

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators
16 minutes ago, John E Davies said:

That is a killer for me, no way would I make do with a tonneau cover.

John Davies

Spokane WA

I like my tonneau cover on this Ram and my last 3 trucks.  I guess we all don’t have the same preferences!  Mike