Winterization help

• Moderators

Its getting to be that time of year when we are starting to think about winterizing the Ollie.  Certainly it is easy to winterize using the port at the rear of the Ollie but an often overlooked past of the process is putting a bit of antifreeze in the other three ports - City Water, Fresh Water and Black tank flush.

This is also easy if you use a hand pump - https://www.amazon.com/Horusdy-transferencia-combustible-multiuso-líquidos/dp/B075C3NNZF/ref=sr_1_7?crid=1TBR3DRPDJK7&dchild=1&keywords=liquid+transfer+pump+manual&qid=1598820277&sprefix=liquid+tran%2Caps%2C180&sr=8-7

But, these pumps come with both the intake and output hoses simply cut off at the ends.  Buying a plastic fitting with one end barbed and the other end compatible with the ports on the Ollie really simplifies the entire process.  Simply insert the barbed end of the fitting into the output hose on the pump, secure it with a clamp and you are ready to go.  Screw the fitting onto the Ollie port, place the other end into the antifreeze, give the handle a couple of pumps and you are done with that port.

Bill

P1020752.JPG

• Like 2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Great suggestion Bill,

Another hand pump option from Harbor Freight - $5 with a 20% off coupon. And Super Tech RV safe anti freeze- $2.58 a gal at Wally World.

EACE3C9F-7B91-4F50-9F53-8E6B10262C96.jpeg

9D210E4B-9012-47F6-9206-27CE57D6EC8E.jpeg

• Like 2

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

• Moderators

We’ve got 12 months of camping left before we winterize.  Will re-assess in 12 months, but will probably go for another 12 months!  I think I know quite a bit about my Oliver, but since we’ve never winterized I don’t have a clue how to do that.  Mike

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

2 minutes ago, Mike and Carol said:

We’ve got 12 months of camping left before we winterize.  Will re-assess in 12 months, but will probably go for another 12 months!  I think I know quite a bit about my Oliver, but since we’ve never winterized I don’t have a clue how to do that.  Mike

Good one Mike,

What ya just gotta love about Texas! We miss our days living there...oh Rudy’s BBcue! 😋 😄

Edited by Patriot

IMG_2879.jpeg

• Moderators

Another winterization tip:

In order to help prevent that "dreaded fridge odor" from developing during winter or other storage of the Oliver; simply empty, clean and dry the fridge and then place several sheets of crumpled newspaper inside both sections of the fridge.  Also then prop both doors (the freezer and the main door) slightly open.

When it is time to take your Oliver out of storage all you have to do is remove the newspaper, close the doors and turn it on.  There will be no odor at all.

Bill

P1020756.JPG

P1020757.JPG

Edited by topgun2
  • Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

The fitting that I mentioned in the first post above is a bit hard to come by.  Even though these are a bit more expensive, another way to "skin that cat" is to get what is called a "RV Blow Out Valve/plug"

https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-P23518LFVP-Blow-Out-Plug/dp/B00HSO2T5A/ref=sr_1_39?crid=29XWEBY27PKZB&dchild=1&keywords=rv%2Bblowout%2Badapter&qid=1600366608&sprefix=rv%2Bblow%2Bout%2B%2Caps%2C179&sr=8-39&th=1&psc=1

Don't forget to remove the valve stem from inside the plug/valve prior to using for the winterization purpose.  These valve stems simply screw out (lefty loosey to take it out) or (righty tighty to put it back in).

Bill

Could someone post a link to the proper fitting used to attach pump hose to the city water, fresh water and black flush tank.  I'm thinking it's probably a threaded male hose fitting; any drip irrigation supply vendor would have this (though I don't know the size of the hose that attaches the pump).  We might even have one in our drip system "toolbox" , as well as the necessary barbs.

Isn't there also a pressure relief valve somewhere in the utility area of the Oliver that must be winterized?  And are the tank dump valves vulnerable to freezing weather? 

I have way too much time to think, sitting at home waiting for our Oliver to go into production :classic_biggrin:

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

3 hours ago, Susan Huff said:

Could someone post a link to the proper fitting used to attach pump hose to the city water, fresh water and black flush tank.  I'm thinking it's probably a threaded male hose fitting; any drip irrigation supply vendor would have this (though I don't know the size of the hose that attaches the pump).  We might even have one in our drip system "toolbox" , as well as the necessary barbs.

Isn't there also a pressure relief valve somewhere in the utility area of the Oliver that must be winterized?  And are the tank dump valves vulnerable to freezing weather? 

I have way too much time to think, sitting at home waiting for our Oliver to go into production :classic_biggrin:

During our wait time my wife and I hit the books....and so glad we did. The more you read the better it gets! 😉

Here- https://olivertraveltrailers.com/oliver-university/

Edited by Patriot
  • Thanks 1

IMG_2879.jpeg

3 hours ago, Patriot said:

During our wait time my wife and I hit the books....and so glad we did. The more you read the better it gets! 😉

I didn't see anything about a pressure relief valve or winterizing the holding tank valves . . . . . so I guess they are fine?

When is Oliver going to get info in the University for 2021 changes?  And I'd like to see a video tour of the same.

Ray and Susan Huff

4 hours ago, Susan Huff said:

I didn't see anything about a pressure relief valve or winterizing the holding tank valves . . . . . so I guess they are fine?

When is Oliver going to get info in the University for 2021 changes?  And I'd like to see a video tour of the same.

Great questions to consider emailing and asking your sales rep. 👍🏻 I am sure they would gladly assist you if given the opportunity.

IMG_2879.jpeg

7 hours ago, Patriot said:

Great questions to consider emailing and asking your sales rep. 👍🏻 I am sure they would gladly assist you if given the opportunity.

Adding it to the list . . . 

Ray and Susan Huff

16 hours ago, Patriot said:

Found this winterization transfer pump.  It has the threaded fitting.

Ray and Susan Huff

• Moderators

Susan - 

For that price you can buy a bunch of the Harbor Freight pumps and a couple of the more expensive threaded fittings I mention above.

Bill

• Like 1

• Moderators
On 9/17/2020 at 2:33 PM, Susan Huff said:

Could someone post a link to the proper fitting used to attach pump hose to the city water, fresh water and black flush tank. 

The hose fittings are all just standard fittings.  Any old hose will work.  Not sure what you mean by “pump hose”.  The procedure I use is I take my hose, screw it into the water source and then screw the other end into the connection on the trailer.  Mike

• Like 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

3 hours ago, Mike and Carol said:

The hose fittings are all just standard fittings.  Any old hose will work.  Not sure what you mean by “pump hose”.  The procedure I use is I take my hose, screw it into the water source and then screw the other end into the connection on the trailer.  Mike

I was referring to using a transfer pump to put antifreeze into the city water, fresh water, and black flush ports as mentioned by the OP, @topgun2.  The "pump hose" I mention is the hose that attached the hand pump to the aforementioned ports, which would be the same as the threaded fitting on the end of a hose.  However, the transfer hand pump pictured in the OP does not come with that fitting.  This pump, however, does: 

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/camco--hand-pump-winterizing-kit--329179?recordNum=21

3 hours ago, topgun2 said:

Susan - 

For that price you can buy a bunch of the Harbor Freight pumps and a couple of the more expensive threaded fittings I mention above.

Bill

I agree . . . . just wanted others to know they can buy the whole works in one, if so desired.

Edited by Susan Huff
  • Like 2

Ray and Susan Huff

• 3 months later...

We have a freeze warning for tonight - temps predicted at 27 degrees.  We have our fresh and waste tanks drained, but have not winterized, a an oil filled heater running in the cabin and leave the basement access door open.  Temperature sensors in the cabin read from 58-66 degrees; in the basement 39-48 degrees with nighttime temps at near freezing.  

Is it necessary to hand pump antifreeze into the outside ports, in anticipation of temperatures in the upper 20's tonight?    If yes, would we just follow the winterization plan as listed in the Oliver manual, steps 20-27?  We have not drained the water heater (Suburban) and it is not turned on.

Ray and Susan Huff

The only things I worry about with short freezes are the check valves at the fresh and city inlets, since it's metal to metal and in a small unheated space.  A little antifreeze in those, or blowing them out with an air hose, might be prudent.

The water heater is very close on the list, but moreso with the Truma, and that's super easy to drain or set to antifreeze so never a big deal.

The rest of the plumbing is unlikely to freeze if the trailer is heated.

Edited by Overland