1/2 vs 3/4 price

Dean

So I am considering a new TV and priced a Sierra 1500 5.3L, 10 speed, with maximum tow package, which requires 20” Aluminum wheels with extra load tires.  Th identical trim on a 2500HD with 6.2L 6 speed and 18” wheels.  The price difference is $1,000.

The payload on the 1500 is ~1990# (7300# GW) with 11,100 trailer cap.  

Edited by Dean

I looked at that option, but you can’t get NHT Package (max tow) on the 3.0.  Why GM isn’t offering towing upgrade with the 3.0???

The NHT requires 20” extra load tires and has 9.76-inch 3.42 rear axle, heavy-duty rear. springs, unique shock tuning, enhanced cooling (both oil and trans).   Also GM has gone to composite rear leaf springs on the higher trims to improve ride and save weight.   The NHT spring has kinda of a helper spring.  Not sure you could change the suspension if you later wanted to.  See video at 7:00

The max tow on the 3.0 is 9100 v 11,100 with the 5.3L NHT.  On an ext cab, with SLE trim, I believe the 3.0L  payload is <1700#.

The other option I am considering is the F150 XLT crew with 3.5EB max tow/ max payload, but really didn’t want an 8’ bed and that’s the only way to get the payload option.

Edit:

I have decided I don’t want a diesel duel to increased acquisition, maintenance and fuel costs.  

Edited by Dean

As others have pointed out, The differences between brands, powertrains, and capabilities  are certainly a personal preference - and should be made in consideration of the planned usage. 

Were I back at the looking stage - it would really come down to two things - Payload and the number of miles we planned to tow the Ollie.

For our purposes - the 3/4 diesel was the clear choice. ( I so wanted to be happy with my old GMC 1/2 ton)

Shorter distances, with few  mountains or elevation, the 1/2 ton gasser would be ok. 

I've done both, the current TV is perfect for our needs, given the cost differential - for me it is justified by the other intangibles of comfort, ease of towing, and carrying capacity. 

To each their own, have fun out there.

RB

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

RB,  I think what you may find interesting is the farm market, the guys who haul big cattle trailers and such, is trending away from the diesels and opting for the large displacement gas engines due to lower costs.  There are a lot trending to the F250 with the 7.3 gasser.

Edited by Dean
  • Thanks 1

On 8/30/2020 at 9:58 PM, Dean said:

The other option I am considering is the F150 XLT crew with 3.5EB max tow/ max payload, but really didn’t want an 8’ bed and that’s the only way to get the payload option.

The F150 HDPP is available with the shorter 6.5" bed with the Crew Cab. At least I've configured it that way many times!

Dave

2015 Oliver Elite, Hull 107

1998 Ford E-250, 5.4 liter