Future Oliverians (Olivites?)

Southbound

Hi everyone, 

We are Jim and Deb, and we want an Oliver!

We currently have a 2015 Casita 17. It has been a great camper, and we are completely sold on the fiberglass trailer concept. However, we would like more room and comfort. We had also been considering an Escape 21, but while it would be a move up in size, it would be a move sideways in overall quality. 

Yesterday, we met Oliver owners Foy and Myrna, who live a couple of counties away from us, and they graciously allowed us to check out their 2017 LE2. We had seen a few Olivers but this was our first detailed look and we absolutely loved it. So, we are now not very likely to be Escape owners.

Our master plan is to sell our house in the next 1-2 years and put some of the proceeds toward new rolling stock. Deb is retired, I’m working from home for a couple of more years, and we are planning to relocate from S Florida to Pensacola to be closer to family (and to be closer to where we want to travel.)

I’m sure we will have more questions as we move forward. I currently tow with a 2002 Tundra V8, and while it could pull the Oliver, it is almost 20 years old so we will be looking at a new TV sooner than later.

See you on the road!

• Like 1

• Moderators

Certainly you pick a delightful couple to have them show you the Ollie.  If you ever get the chance, be sure to take the factory tour.  There you will see the detail of how they are made which makes the finished product even more impressive.

Let us know if you have any questions and enjoy this new journey you have embarked on.

Bill

• Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators

Hi Jim and Deb, welcome to the forum.  Like Bill, I recommend a factory as well.  We’ve done it a couple of times and we still learn things.  Also, there will be a bunch of Olivers at Lake Guntersville State Park in Alabama the end of September.  It was going to be our annual rally but was canceled due to the virus.  Some of us are still planning to be there because we enjoy camping!  Mike

• Like 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• Moderator+

What are Oliver Owners called?  This was discussed at the rally several years ago. If I remember correctly, "Otters" was the front runner.  I believe we said that the Owners rally could be called an OTTOR - Oliver Travel Trailer Owner's Rally.

What does everyone think?963246391_RiverOtter.thumb.png.d5102203174ef4c7e24ac76c1d72ebd3.png

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

Welcome to the forum. 

You are correct about your older Tundra..... the 4.7 is a great motor but it is pretty anemic for pulling the bigger Ollie, and the lack of gears makes it worse. You would probably be fine getting your new trailer home to Florida at delivery time but further explorations will require better reserves of, well, everything - power, brakes, payload and safety technology.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies
  • Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Thanks for the welcome... Otters? Hope to cross paths in the near future, we have some in-Florida trips planned for this year and into 2021, nothing major planned... although we just returned from a rather spontaneous 2-1/2 week trip to Rhinelander, Wisconsin.