Post your Payload + Cargo Weights

jordanv

I used the search functionality here to see if this sort of thing was posted but I am curious!

I'm still on the hunt for an upgraded TV, and I would love to know the weights that others here are carrying and towing along in their TVs.

Would anyone be interested in posting their stats here? I know some users have this in their signature, but it seems like it would be easy to see what the norm is if we all posted here.

The truck I am looking at:

2018 F150 3.5L V6 w/ Max Tow Package

Max Towing Capacity = 12,700lbs

Curb Weight = 5050lbs

Payload Capacity = 1693lbs

It seems that most people's Oliver Elite IIs come in around 7,000lbs, but what about your cargo?

Edited by jordanv

2021 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Twin Bed - Hull 762 | 2018 F150 3.5L Ecoboost V6 w/ Max Tow package

• Moderators

jordanv - 

I think that your estimate of what "most people's Oliver Elite II's" towing weight is a bit high.  I tow mine at right near 6,000 pounds (depending on the level of water/stuff in the tanks - these are all normally empty unless I need the water for boondocking).  I own a 2017 F-150 just like the 2018 you are looking at and have never had one hint of an issue.  Usually I have in the bed of the truck - two sets of wheel chocks, three 11 inch lengths of 6 x 6 blocks (for use under the Oliver's jacks), two 8 gallon water containers (one is almost always empty unless I need it for extended boondocking), a shower tent, a cheap charcoal grill plus charcoal, a light (plastic) rug for under the awning and a fairly good sized truck box that contains all my fishing and/or backpacking gear (with the exception of the rods which I carry in the truck with me).  Hope this info helps you.

Bill

• Thanks 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators
36 minutes ago, jordanv said:

I used the search functionality here to see if this sort of thing was posted but I am curious!

I'm still on the hunt for an upgraded TV, and I would love to know the weights that others here are carrying and towing along in their TVs.

Would anyone be interested in posting their stats here? I know some users have this in their signature, but it seems like it would be easy to see what the norm is if we all posted here.

Curb Weight = 5050lbs

It seems that most people's Oliver Elite IIs come in around 7,000lbs, but what about your cargo?

I agree with Bill, 7Klbs is a bit high.  I estimate we’re about 6K and I usually travel with a full fresh tank.  We were 5100lbs with full propane when it was weighed at the factory.

• Thanks 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

Our LEII is still in production so I can't give you weights on it yet. We pick it up in mid-October. However, from what I have seen the dry weight of the 2020 LE2 is 4900 lbs and the GVWR of the trailer is 7000 lbs. Spec Sheet 

Our tow vehicle will be a 2019 Ram 1500 5.7l V8 and has very similar capacities as your vehicle.

Payload capacity: 1665

Towing capacity: 11,765

Curb weight: 5235

Edited by Ray Kimsey
  • Like 1

image.jpeg.09f40a09983d95bd862eb789e3430148.jpeg

2019 Ram 1500 5.7L V8, 3.92 axle ratio - 2020 LEll - Hull676

We have a RAM 4x4, 1500 'Limited' trim with the 3.92  rear end.  The payload is an issue for us.  All those 'options' add up and our payload is MUCH less than advertised in the brochure.  The accurate number is on the door panel and then you have to deduct your tongue weight.  Deduct the truck 'cap'/cover and two recumbent trikes, cooler, and all the little things and it's not looking good.  While we are well under for towing specs, the payload is an issue.  We'll be upgrading to a 3/4 ton next year.

Edited by sakthorp
  • Like 1

Steph and Steve Kimball

2019 Oliver Elite II ~ Twin

Hull No. 463

The 4WD Silverado 5.3L, extended cab in an LT package with max towing and without other options will have a payload  tad more than 2000#.  

The F150 XLT regular, Crew cab or super crew with 8 ft bed allow the max tow and max payload options.  Once you go beyond XLT trim or opt out of an 8 ft bed you cannot get max payload option.

Edited by Dean

11 hours ago, jordanv said:

Curb Weight = 5050lbs

Jordan, your truck is similar to my "older" truck in terms of towing capacity (mine is 12K lbs) and Payload (I have 1543 lbs).     One big difference is my curb weight is 7657 lbs. (just weighed it yesterday on a CAT scale).   With these numbers, towing the Ollie is certainly not going to be the limiting factor for our TV - it's going to be payload.  I've weighed all the items I'm taking and I know (mostly) what stays in the truck and what goes into the Oliver.  I'm ok with my payload, but it's closer than I thought it would be.  Here are some of my planning numbers that may help you assess whether or not payload is going to be an issue for you...

1.  These weights are already built into my curb weight, but something to keep in mind.  I've added a massive fuel tank (+252 lbs when full) and a full camper shell (+300 lbs) along with some HD suspension/steering (+ 175 lbs) over the years.  Will you have to add any weight to the truck to get it the way you like it?

2.  I always carry tools and emergency stuff (+169 lbs), the Rock Tamers (+41 lbs), some camping gear that won't go in the trailer (+65 lbs) and of course me and my wife (+320 lbs).  Has anyone else ever weighed their tools?  I think I carry way too many with my "hope for the best, plan for the worst" Reacher mentality.  🙂

3.  On the way to pick up the Oliver, I'll have the extra gear that will be put into the trailer (+655 lbs).  I'll still be under my GVWR by 300 lbs, but that's pretty tight, so depending on how the truck rides I may not fill up the massive fuel tank all the way to provide more buffer.

4.  Once we pick up, I'm unloading a bit more than the tongue weight (if my estimate of 620 is close) so all should be good there too.

5.  I'll have to keep an eye on this as I'm leaving home some things that I would normally have like my generator (+70 lbs), my solar suitcase (+41 lbs),  an extra propane tank (+33 lbs) and our dog (+75 lbs).  Fingers crossed that the Ollie has enough storage to make room in the TV for these extra things when boondocking, etc.

• Thanks 1

States Visited Map

2020 Elite II, Hull 688 --- 2021 Silverado 2500HD, 6.6L Duramax Diesel

12 hours ago, sakthorp said:

We have a RAM 4x4, 1500 'Limited' trim with the 3.92  rear end.  The payload is an issue for us.  All those 'options' add up and our payload is MUCH less than advertised in the brochure.  The accurate number is on the door panel and then you have to deduct your tongue weight.  Deduct the truck 'cap'/cover and two recumbent trikes, cooler, and all the little things and it's not looking good.  While we are well under for towing specs, the payload is an issue.  We'll be upgrading to a 3/4 ton next year.

What is your payload?

2021 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Twin Bed - Hull 762 | 2018 F150 3.5L Ecoboost V6 w/ Max Tow package

2018 F150 3.5L V6 w/ Max Tow Package      1693lbs     Oliver average dead weight - ~650 or so. Now your at 1000lbs give or take. Subtract a full tank of gas and two adults and a big dog ~660lbs and have about 330lbs left. Round up 400lbs - that's still a good bit of stuff  to add - but brings you to max. - if your not using a leer top or something similar. 

Last time I checked - Truck was at 7500 Oliver was at 6000 - half tank water. Theses days the Ollie is probably at about 6200lbs. Full of food, clothing, water, propane, bikes, other absolutely needed stuff , oh and a few liters of wine....

I do not think about payload -  my TV has plenty of room for error. Listed at 2226. As others have commented - your payload is vehicle specific - usually posted on the drivers side B pillar.  

R B

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

So the TVs I have look at in person have between 1400 -1700 on door jamb  sticker. This includes F-150, Expedition and RAM 1500.    I will be towing the smaller LE I. I really like LE II plan but don’t need it with just me and dog and smaller trailer size is appealing.

Plus a LE II would make it super easy to justify a nice diesel F-250 !

• Like 4

2021 Legacy Elite II Hull #807 - 2021 F150 w/ 3.5L EB and max tow package 

5 hours ago, jordanv said:

Oh wow, that's really low.

Mine on the door jamb is 1693 so im pretty confident it will do what we need.

Easy enough to find out.  Deduct the tongue weight of the trailer and then the weight of your bodies and anything you've added on to the truck after market.  Then you'll know what's left for 'stuff'.  

• Like 1

Steph and Steve Kimball

2019 Oliver Elite II ~ Twin

Hull No. 463

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Sport utility vehicle

Description

Towing capacity: 3,500 to 7,200 lbs
Payload: 1,396 to 1,955 lbs
MPG: Up to 19 city / 26 highway
Warranty: 3 yr/36,000 mi basic, 5 yr/100,000 mi powertrain
Curb weight: 4,545 to 5,104 lbs
Horsepower: 240 to 475 hp

To get more specific about the payload your Jeep, you are going to have to be a bit more specific.  I assumed that yours is a 2017 and assumed that it has the 6 cylinder engine because that is the towing capacity noted by Good Sam's 2020 towing guide for a Grand Cherokee with the 3.6L V-6 engine for both 2WD and 4WD versions.  Any options - OEM or otherwise?  Also see - 
Edited by topgun2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

For purchasing a brand new vehicle off the lot, for sure you have to study stickers and then plan for future permanent weight additions.

I am not sure why this is so hard for folks who already own a vehicle...... just take your SUV or pickup to a truck scale and weigh it with full gas and a driver, look at the GVWR number (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating), and the difference is what is left is for passengers and payload. This accounts for any aftermarket parts you added like bigger tires or a roof rack, or that heavy bag of tools that you always carry with you. Most of the “stuff” you carry weighs much more than you think it does..... if you guess at the weight most likely you will be guessing low.

It would be fairly uncommon for somebody in an SUV to exceed an individual axle weight rating unless he carried bricks. In pickups, overloading the back happens ALL the time.

John Davies

Spokane WA

2D61A413-B1E3-45AB-802E-1C827B2269C2.jpeg

Edited by John E Davies

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

2 hours ago, Skipster said:

need help. trying to figure payload weights and related.

Practically, payload is Gross Vehicle Weight Rating minus Curb Weight. Technically, it is whatever the Tire and Loading placard on the driver's door jamb says after: The combined weight of occupants and cargo should never exceed

In your case, the 2017 Jeep Trailhawk CW is published as 4869. Based on the 6500 GVWR, max payload should be 1631 minus the weight of factory optional equipment like the rock rails and engine block heater. Don't try to resolve the difference between this calculation and the figure on the placard because the placard calculation was determined by the legal department, based on the original equipment tires, and has little engineering basis.  Generally, using the placard number is advisable.

I'll spare the subjective on capability but what "related" capacity information are you looking for?

• Thanks 1

• Moderators

So, assuming this is the Grand Cherokee Trailhawk? Your Elite should look great paired with this 4 x 4. The tow package was standard, right?

I believe we had one or two others towing Elites with the Grand Cherokee. With a gvwr on the Elite of 5000 pounds, you'll likely be happy, and well within your tow capacity.  

I'd encourage you to limit the amount of "stuff" you carry the first trip, just til you get used to it. What else have you towed with the Trailhawk?

That's the Grand Cherokee version my daughter really loved when she was looking last year, but it was out of her budget range.

Sherry

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Hi jordanv:

We have essentially the same truck you’re looking at, SuperCrew, payload of 1,736 and GVWR of 7,050. A “stress test” with our Elite I had us exceeding the GVWR by ten pounds: full fresh water tank, full TV gas tank, two adults, two medium-sized dogs, two full 20-lb. LP tanks, and the 6.5 ft. bed full of gear. We have since reduced the amount of gear we carry but these figures give a good representation of how quickly it adds up. I’ll also note that we use a hard tonneau cover and heavy duty protective bed mat. I hope this helps.

- Brian
Edited by Brian and Maria

Brian and Maria | and furbabies Lucas and Joie | Western NC
2020 Elite I | Hull 583 | February 6 Delivery
2018 F150 XLT 4x4 Supercrew | 3.5L V6 EB | Max Trailer Tow | Undercover Elite Tonneau