Year-to-year changes of Elite I

DeeKay

Any of you been tracking the changes in features or structural differences between model years of the Elite that can comment on what was changed through the years and when? Maybe it's been covered here before, but I can't find it.

Thanks in advance, Daniel

Edited by SeaDawg

• Moderator+

Daniel, the first 49 trailers that Oliver built were all Elites. This was between late 2007 and early 2009. As you recall there was a downturn in the economy about that time and Oliver made the difficult decision to halt their trailer production. There was no layoff of personnel.

In 2013, they decided to reopen the trailer line but their plan was to only make the Elite II's. After many requests from potential customers, in 2015 they reintroduced the Elite.

The general layout and floor plan is essentially the same. In the early Elites, if there was ever a problem with the refrigerator, the entire front wall had to be removed in order to get the old one out and the new one in. I'm not sure if that ever had to be done, but it would have been a lot of trouble. That problem was fixed in the later models.

The early Elites had the furnace mounted in the cabinet facing along side the drawers. It is now moved to beneath the forward most dinette seat and is ducted into the cabin and bathroom.

The upper cabinets in the early Elites had sliding doors while the later Elites have drop down doors like in the Elite II's. The cabinets are somewhat larger on the latest ones.

Beneath the benchs and dinette seats of the older models were custom molded inserts that dropped into these areas for storage. These were eliminated in the newer models.

On the current Elites, the suspension has been lowered, the air conditioner is a smaller model, there is more storage (both more drawers and the aforementioned larger upper cabinets), the bathroom window is larger, all lighting is LED and the shower drain system is greatly improved.

There are probably more changes that have been made. We owned hull # 026 from 2008-2013. We bought hull # 050 (Elite II) in 2014.

Others will chime in perhaps, if I have misspoken anywhere, please feel free to correct me.

Happy travels...

• Thanks 4
  • Like 1

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

• Moderators

Are the upper cabinets actually changed in size? Interesting.  I don't see a big difference in the photos. 

I personally like our old sliders better , but maybe because we're used to them, in both the trailer and the boat. 

Our 2008 isn't "stock," as we've upgraded a number of items.  

I do think moving the furnace was a great idea. The original location (below the stove and between top and bottom drawer) was less than ideal, both from a noise and air circulation perspective. However,  the old furnace works well, and we're never cold .

When our original norcold fridge died, Oliver did have to remove the closet, and door frame, to install the same size Dometic (rm2454)  three way.  

When we later replaced the Dometic,  we just disassembled it, ourselves. Our new dc/danfoss truckfridge fit through the door just fine .

The under bench storage in the older models has been replaced,  for the most part, with upgrades. It's pretty useless,  anyway, having to move cushions or bed to access the spaces. Ours is pretty empty.

• Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Overland said:

Surely the most regrettable change in the Elites was when they removed the stripper pole. 😝

Yes, I'd agree. I hope it wasn't eliminated because if its nickname.

The pole is a very handy support for me when I have to get out of bed in the middle of the night. I can "step over" my sleeping husband, instead of waking him up. 

• Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, HMD1056 said:

I would swear I saw that plan...in a picture, somewhere.  

I don't remember that as a factory floorplan, but it wouldn't be tough to create. 

A friend of mine did something quite similar with a Casita.

Adding a wood support between the two big fiberglass seats to support a 36" mattress at the back  would leave about 16 inches for a VERY small desk or cabinet. The seat on the other side would be dining chair size, 16" or so, in width. 

I think this would be a great mod for a solo camper.

The bed in the original elite is 52 or 53 inches wide. Full size, not a true queen. 

Sherry

Edited by SeaDawg
Typo

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

On 9/4/2020 at 3:58 PM, ScubaRx said:

Daniel, the first 49 trailers that Oliver built were all Elites. This was between late 2007 and early 2009. As you recall there was a downturn in the economy about that time and Oliver made the difficult decision to halt their trailer production. There was no layoff of personnel.

In 2013, they decided to reopen the trailer line but their plan was to only make the Elite II's. After many requests from potential customers, in 2015 they reintroduced the Elite.

The general layout and floor plan is essentially the same. In the early Elites, if there was ever a problem with the refrigerator, the entire front wall had to be removed in order to get the old one out and the new one in. I'm not sure if that ever had to be done, but it would have been a lot of trouble. That problem was fixed in the later models.

The early Elites had the furnace mounted in the cabinet facing along side the drawers. It is now moved to beneath the forward most dinette seat and is ducted into the cabin and bathroom.

The upper cabinets in the early Elites had sliding doors while the later Elites have drop down doors like in the Elite II's. The cabinets are somewhat larger on the latest ones.

Beneath the benchs and dinette seats of the older models were custom molded inserts that dropped into these areas for storage. These were eliminated in the newer models.

On the current Elites, the suspension has been lowered, the air conditioner is a smaller model, there is more storage (both more drawers and the aforementioned larger upper cabinets), the bathroom window is larger, all lighting is LED and the shower drain system is greatly improved.

There are probably more changes that have been made. We owned hull # 026 from 2008-2013. We bought hull # 050 (Elite II) in 2014.

Others will chime in perhaps, if I have misspoken anywhere, please feel free to correct me.

Happy travels...

Thanks ScubaRx for all that information.  I am hoping to buy a used Elite I.

When you reference the "early Elites" are you talking about those built from 2007-09, before production was stopped?

So, if I buy one made from 2015 on, servicing/removing the fridge will NOT involve removing the front wall?

What year was the suspension, A/C, storage, bathroom window and LED lighting improved/implimented? Are you talking 2015 and on? If you don't know, does anybody else? I'd like to focus my search to model years that incorporate those improvements.

Thanks again. Hope you are well!

On 9/4/2020 at 3:58 PM, ScubaRx said:

Happy travels...

Thanks ScubaRx for all that information.  I am hoping to buy a used Elite I.

When you reference the "early Elites" are you talking about those built from 2007-09, before production was stopped?

So, if I buy one made from 2015 on, servicing/removing the fridge will NOT involve removing the front wall?

What year was the suspension, A/C, storage, bathroom window and LED lighting improved/implimented? Are you talking 2015 and on? If you don't know, does anybody else? I'd like to focus my search to model years that incorporate those improvements.

Thanks again. Hope you are well! And thanks to all the others who have and will contribute to this discussion. I think it will help others, like myself, that are in the market for an Oliver.

On 9/5/2020 at 10:18 AM, HMD1056 said:

In the early Elites, wasn't there a floorplan that had a back single bed with a seat on the driver's side and a fold up desk/table on the passenger side?  I would swear I saw that plan...in a picture, somewhere.  

I’d need to dig deep, but I remember this too and might even have a brochure.  We didn’t start looking at Olivers until 2017.   I suspect 2017 was the last year, or maybe 2018, of getting that floor plan on an Elite I.  It looked like a nice setup for a single person.  I’ve never seen it in person.  

• Like 1

2013 Toyota Land Cruiser 200

2018 Twin Bed Elite II #351

• Moderators

KenB, if you find the photo, I'd love to see it.

Oliver did more custom work in the earlier days. Wouldn't be totally surprised if they built one like you're describing,  pre-2017.

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• Moderators

One feature of my 2008 Elite, "The Wonder Egg", that is no longer available in later models is the 45 foot long 30Amp service cable on an electric reel.  It occupies the space under the front dinette seat which now contains the furnace on newer models.  It is one of my favorite features and I would sorely miss it if I ever bought a newer model . . . which is NOT likely to happen . . . ever . . .  I LOVE The Wonder Egg!

• Like 2

Pete & "Bosker".    TV -  '18 F150 Super-cab Fx4; RV  - "The Wonder Egg";   '08 Elite, Hull Number 014.

Travel blog of 1st 10 years' wanderings - http://www.peteandthewonderegg.blogspot.com

visited-united-states-map (2).pngvisited-canadian-provinces-map.png

ABBCMBNBNLNSONPEQCSKYTALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNJNMNYNCNDOHOKORPAPRSCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYsm.jpg

On 9/8/2020 at 4:46 PM, SeaDawg said:

KenB, if you find the photo, I'd love to see it.

Dug around tonight and found a set of 2018 printed brochures.  Not in there.  Must have been on line in 2017 or earlier where I saw the alternate Elite I layout.  Ken 

• Thanks 1

2013 Toyota Land Cruiser 200

2018 Twin Bed Elite II #351

On 9/5/2020 at 9:18 AM, HMD1056 said:

In the early Elites, wasn't there a floorplan that had a back single bed with a seat on the driver's side and a fold up desk/table on the passenger side?  I would swear I saw that plan...in a picture, somewhere.  

Here are the floor plans from the 2016 Elite Brochure. 

104362116_ScreenShot2020-09-10at2_37_16PM.thumb.png.219294b53da759ebb700f1e5b653f5c1.png

• Thanks 4
  • Like 3

David Stillman, Salt Lake City, Utah

2016 Oliver Elite II  Hull 164    |    2017 Audi Q7 tow vehicle. 

Travel and Photography Blog: http://davidstravels.net

• Moderators

This is close to the original twin bed configuration of the elite I,  circa 2008/9.

I remember the "desk" being a nightstand, and both bunks being +- 24 to 28 inches. It wasn't well received. The drop down table was awkward. The small dinette bed was really narrow, and 6' long. Ok for some  but not for couples. 

I do think it's a terrific floorplan for solo campers. Hope it will be revived .

Thanks, KenB, for the trip down memory lane,  and thanks, DavidS, for the floorplan. 

Sherry

Edited by SeaDawg
  • Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• Moderator+
On 9/5/2020 at 10:18 AM, HMD1056 said:

Yes, we had hull # 026, one of the (very) few twin bed models in the early Elites. It was just as you described it, the second bed was where the dinette is. We ate off the folding table midships. We needed something bigger so we sold it in 2013 and bought the first Elite II, hull # 050.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

• 1 month later...

would love to see Oliver revive this option for the Elite... My wife and I do not like to climb over each other. I'm 5'11 and she is 5'5  so it would work for us I believe.  We have a delivery date next june 2021.   also hoping for  a lithium package.   

• Like 1

• Moderators

the side bed (small dinette) was only about 24" wide , besides being only 72" long. Just something to keep in mind .

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2 hours ago, SeaDawg said:

the side bed (small dinette) was only about 24" wide , besides being only 72" long. Just something to keep in mind .

We are going to (maybe) use the dinette as a sofa during the days, since we eat outside for all meals, except breakfast - weather permitting.   I say, "maybe" because it will depend on how much I rely on the dinette table for food prep.  

Can't wait to get our Elite II so I can try all these ideas that are running around in my head.  I think I'll sleep better then!

• Like 1

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

• Moderators
9 hours ago, Susan Huff said:

We are going to (maybe) use the dinette as a sofa during the days, since we eat outside for all meals, except breakfast - weather permitting.   I say, "maybe" because it will depend on how much I rely on the dinette table for food prep.  

I use the  the little countertop above the fridge, and the small dinette table for prep,  often. In the smaller kitchen of the Elite, the only "counterspace" is a few inches between the sink and stove, and the additional space of the cooktop with the lid closed.

A few people installed a swing up top at the side of the stove, back in the day, but it had to be very small. 

What would be even more helpful would be an adjustable table in the small dinette, like the Lagun or Springfield marine hydraulic pedestal, that would allow me to raise the tabletop to counter height.  Not sure about how to handle the window shade protrusion,  though, in moving the top up and down. 

• Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

1 hour ago, SeaDawg said:

I use the  the little countertop above the fridge, and the small dinette table for prep,  often. In the smaller kitchen of the Elite, the only "counterspace" is a few inches between the sink and stove, and the additional space of the cooktop with the lid closed.

A few people installed a swing up top at the side of the stove, back in the day, but it had to be very small. 

What would be even more helpful would be an adjustable table in the small dinette, like the Lagun or Springfield marine hydraulic pedestal, that would allow me to raise the tabletop to counter height.  Not sure about how to handle the window shade protrusion,  though, in moving the top up and down. 

Would it work if the table was pivoted out a bit before raising it up to counter height?

Ray and Susan Huff

7 minutes ago, Skipster said:

24" is too narrow. length is good though      

I agree, for a bed.  Should be perfect as a sofa.  We purchased extra back cushions from another Oliver owner.

Dinette Sofa without table.jpg

Ray and Susan Huff

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Susan Huff said:

Would it work if the table was pivoted out a bit before raising it up to counter height?

That would work, with the Lagun. Much more flexibility. The Springfield pedestal is strictly an up or down adjustment.  The Lagun would be a much better choice, especially if the factory could mount it to the outside wall during construction. 

• Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4