Dometic Refrigerator Not Working

Hello. We have a 2018 Oliver Elite 2, with a Dometic 3 way fridge. When trying to turn it on it does not respond - no lights come on the control panel. We have checked the plug, the breaker, the fuse - all good. We pulled off the panel on the top of the fridge and checked the board - nothing was loose. We are not just pushing buttons quickly - we know it needs patience - but we just can’t get it to respond. Any ideas? It is stored at a lot and we were trying to cool down the fridge before we headed on the road tomorrow morning.

• Sad 1

Kim and David Thompson Nomads' Nest 2018 LE2 #366 2018 Toyota Tundra, 4x4, 5.7L

• Moderators

Do your other 12v and 110 outlets work? Are you plugged into 110? Have you checked that you actually have power to the fridge outlet?

The eyebrow board on our Dometic rm2454 gave us fits in the last year if its life. I sometimes had to hold the start button in, or duct tape it down. Also, check the connection on the end of the eyebrow board. It seems that you are not getting power to the board, or the board is bad. 

We had to buy a new eyebrow, about two and a half years in, from a dealer in Arizona . It started acting up about two months after the 2 year warranty. 

Edited by SeaDawg
  • Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

Dean, their boards are great. Our neighbor fixed his 20+ year old dometic fridge with a dinosaur board.

When we were looking, dinosaur didn't have our needed board. It could be different now, years later.

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

The converter panel under the dinette table has 12v DC fuse and a 120v AC breaker for the refrigerator.

Is the 12v DC fuse good or is it blown?  

Is the 120v AC breaker tripped?

And as David mentioned, be sure to verify the refrigerator is plugged into the AC outlet underneath the sink.

Do you have the ability to test 12v DC or 120v AC circuits?

Mossey

Edited by mossemi
  • Like 1

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

Thanks for the replies everyone. We have checked the fuse and the breaker, and the fridge is plugged into the outlet. We have tested for both 12 and 120 volts, and both seem to be working. We think it must be the circuit board on the fridge? Are there 2 boards or just the one?  For those who have replaced their board, does it just snap out and in? Thanks again everyone. 

• Moderators

thompsonkd, did you check for 12v at the fridge? 

My guess would be the eyebrow board, just because ours gave us trouble, but that's a "guess." There are two control boards. The eyebrow, and the lower main board. There are a number of reasons that you might not be getting power. 

You can Google and find the technical manual online for almost any appliance, these days. I found one for both our norcold, and our dometic. But, they're written usually for several models, and the newer rm2454 is slightly different from the older models, as I  recall. 

You'll find much more complete troubleshooting and diagrams in the tech manual than the user manual. But, it's made for technicians, obviously, so it's not easy for all users to follow.

Good luck. Sorry you're having trouble, especially on a holiday weekend.

Sherry

Edited by SeaDawg
  • Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

Mine did that - I held the button in for a little longer - then got pissed, smacked it, tried it again, and it worked all summer.... GOFIGURE......

• Haha 2

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

We haven’t hit it yet, but Kim jammed a butter knife into the on button to get more “traction “ on the button. It’s done this before, and then just started working. We figure it’s the eyebrow board, and are trying to find one. Any other ideas, let us know! Thanks everyone. 

• Like 1

Pull fuse #1 (20amp) in pdc. Remove the circuit board from the upper panel and blow off the dust with compressed air. Spray the switches liberally with electrical contact cleaner while working the power switch on/off. Let dry for a few minutes and try it.

C0F420E0-EE15-4DDB-A562-ED6167A17C95.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, thompsonkd said:

What’s PDC?

That’s the black box under the dinette. Open the door and make sure your fridge fuse is in the #1 position. I think I read where some trailers are set up different. 
E1E6B514-A005-442C-B944-71AE111FEE1F.thumb.jpeg.31070082ef96fed88c55926eaaecec26.jpeg

Then pull the fuse that is used for the fridge. In my case it is the fuse in the first position. 

1895F311-14C7-4BB7-BEC2-F6CE691ED519.thumb.jpeg.897720f514614397edfed7d6817f91a2.jpeg

• Thanks 2
  • Like 2

Bill and Martha

2018 LEII Hull 313

2019 Chevrolet 2500HD Duramax

• Moderators

When we disassembled and parted our dometic, I  gave Scubarx / Steve our eyebrow board, which was only a month old. You can pm him. He might or might not still have it. It's almost 3 years ago.

He keeps a lot if stuff in his truck, to help others. Good guy.

Edited by SeaDawg
  • Like 3

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

1 hour ago, Townesw said:

What’s PDC?

Thanks or the bailout Bill. I was fat-fingering the post on my phone and couldn't elaborate.

David, in an earlier post you mentioned removing the top panel so I just assumed you'd be familiar with what  is involved. Let me know if you'd like more details. There's not a lot going on with that board beyond the switches that are prone to failure. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks again everyone. I think we have checked everything that we can; I actually got ahold of Dometic and they helped me to walk through the issue. It could be the lower circuit board, or it could be the eyebrow circuit board, but I can’t tell without more sophisticated electrical tools than I have. I am going to take it to a repair place that we use. If we need an eyebrow board I’ll contact Scubarx. 

• Moderators

Thompsonkd, are you still under warranty? When did you pick up your Ollie? Pretty sure you have a two year warranty on your dometic,  at least on parts? 

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

Thanks Sherry. We are probably outside of the warranty by just a few weeks. We’ll have to see what Dometic will do. We used to do a lot of tent/car camping and backpacking, so we are used to using coolers. We might invest in a better cooler, if nothing else as a backup to the fridge. Hopefully we can get the fridge working quickly. 

• 1 month later...

Hey folks...we have confirmed that the Dometic refrigerator eyebrow is not working on our refrigerator. We have been unable to secure one through Dometic (working through a repair shop) and unable to find one else where ( we checked with Dinasour electronics, and have looked online). Our repair shop is unable to give us a clear date on when Dometic can ship one. Any ideas?

• Moderators

You could try Adventure rv. Have you pmd scubarx? The board i gave him may or may not be the right one. Dometic has a couple different boards for the rm2454, if i remember correctly. 

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• Moderators

Did you call dinosaur, or just look online?

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

Thanks Sherry. I did pm ScubaRx, and he gracious offered me the board, but it appears to be missing in action! I called Dinosaur, but their message system told me to email, and I got no response from an email. I plan on trying again to contact Dinosaur since I hear good things about their boards.  I have not tried Adventure RV; I’ll call them tomorrow. I also plan on contacting Dometic again to see if I can get a ship-by date; Dometic is helpful once I get through to them, but they won’t budge on replacing the board under warranty and are vague about shipping dates.  I actually like the fridge, when it works! I’d like to fix it, it’s not very old. It would be wasteful to not be able to fix the fridge because of a relatively low priced circuit board. 

• Moderators

Yes. I think our eyebrow board was only about $80 or 90. 

Make sure you have model and serial number handy when you finally get someone on the phone. It can be such long hold times, these days. 

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

A couple of years ago I went through the same issues. Dometic had a difficult time finding the correct boards and Dinosaur didn’t have the eyebrow board. I got their main board but it wouldn’t communicate with the Dometic eyebrow board. 

Edited by mountainoliver

2017 Elite II, Hull #208

2019 Chevy HD 2500 Duramax