Battery compartment lock

Not sure this is the correct forum for this, but here goes:

We are ordering the Lithium Solar package on our 2021 Elite II.  I see, by watching videos, that the battery compartment is lockable.  Is it keyed the same as the basement?

In addition, are these locks the standard RV exterior compartment locks that every RV owner probably has on their keyring?  Or does Oliver install uniquely keyed locks?  (I'm concerned about the security of the $$$K batteries).  If "common keyed" what locks are compatible?  And is this something we could have Oliver Service do at delivery?  

I know, why pay someone else to do something we could easily do . . . . . . I guess because it's easy and contributes to the local economy 😀

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

• Moderators

I'm not positive regarding any changes that have been made to the latest models and certainly not any changes for the fancy lithium stuff.  But, I'm guessing that there have been no changes to the locks/closures for these models.  To specifically answer your first question - Oliver has never used the kind of locks that are typical on most RV's.  Indeed, the Oliver closing latches are actually from the marine industry and are of a better quality.  Having said this though, the locks on these latches are fairly standard as are the keys.  I'm not sure just how many different ones are in existence but I'd bet that there simply aren't many.  Yes, better than standard RV's but not what I'd call a great difference.

If I was worried about my batteries I would make a call to your Sales rep and ask what options are available.  Since the lock is part of the latch I doubt that this will be an easy fix for you.  However, an additional lock of some sort might make sense given the issues involved.

Bill

• Thanks 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators

If you are worried about someone stealing your batteries you could padlock the sliding rack that they are mounted on.  Unless you plan on storing it in a publicly accessible storage with no security I wouldn’t be too concerned.  Most folks don’t even know where the batteries are stored on the Oliver or that they have more than the normal 1 or 2.  Mike

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

1 minute ago, Mike and Carol said:

If you are worried about someone stealing your batteries you could padlock the sliding rack that they are mounted on.  Unless you plan on storing it in a publicly accessible storage with no security I wouldn’t be too concerned.  Most folks don’t even know where the batteries are stored on the Oliver or that they have more than the normal 1 or 2.  Mike

Thanks for the encouraging words.

When not in use the Oliver will be stored on our property on a private road without public access.

Ray and Susan Huff

• Moderators
Just now, Susan Huff said:

Thanks for the encouraging words.

When not in use the Oliver will be stored on our property on a private road without public access.

Just don’t put a “Lithium Powered” sticker on the side of your trailer and you’ll be fine.

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

37 minutes ago, topgun2 said:

I'm not positive regarding any changes that have been made to the latest models and certainly not any changes for the fancy lithium stuff.  But, I'm guessing that there have been no changes to the locks/closures for these models.  To specifically answer your first question - Oliver has never used the kind of locks that are typical on most RV's.  Indeed, the Oliver closing latches are actually from the marine industry and are of a better quality.  Having said this though, the locks on these latches are fairly standard as are the keys.  I'm not sure just how many different ones are in existence but I'd bet that there simply aren't many.  Yes, better than standard RV's but not what I'd call a great difference.

If I was worried about my batteries I would make a call to your Sales rep and ask what options are available.  Since the lock is part of the latch I doubt that this will be an easy fix for you.  However, an additional lock of some sort might make sense given the issues involved.

Bill

I feel better now 😏

Ray and Susan Huff

• 3 weeks later...

I saw this latch on a Polaris Slingshot and thought it looked like the latches on my Oliver, only it appeared to have a cut-key-lock instead of the stamped-key-lock I have. 

447FD3D0-B165-48F2-B06A-27D8D87F269F.thumb.jpeg.f646b3f95087144f60387a0bce4eab2b.jpeg

This is the stamped-key-lock on the battery compartment and basement doors on my Oliver.

F75CD50C-8A8E-4BA8-A222-244713687C8C.thumb.jpeg.68d9388ecdb61b79629ab349d716521e.jpeg

I looked at the Southco website and found that more secure latches are available. You might consider replacing the OE latch with one of these more secure options. Notice the cut-key “lock style 9” vs the stamped key “lock style 8”. 

https://files.southco.com/static/Literature/m1-c.en.pdf

Edited by Townesw
  • Thanks 3

Bill and Martha

2018 LEII Hull 313

2019 Chevrolet 2500HD Duramax

Southco offers a gazillion types and sizes and they are pricey. I have no idea of what size (thickness) you would need, but something like this, added to the existing factory latch, would be pretty secure.

https://www.amazon.com/E3-55-62-Action-u00AE-Compression-Latches-Southco/dp/B07MC91X22

OTH a second “special” lock shouts STEAL ME and advertises that there is something special in there. Replacing all the OEM ones so they look the same probably would be better in this respect.

The Oliver supplied key is a very sad thing made of stamped sheet metal. I suspect that every owner of a high end boat has a few lying around that will match the Ollie latches. I don’t know if many RVs use these due to their high cost. In an email I asked about getting some spares and was met with a figurative blank stare.... I made multiple backup door keys but have only two latch keys. The Ace Hardware guy couldn’t make any. If anyone knows a source for more keys, please tell us.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies
  • Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

12 minutes ago, Townesw said:

Woah! Seems a little pricey at $25 per pair. A quick search shows you can order direct for $3.37. Shipping adds $12 to the cost. (Sometimes Amazon Prime prices are criminally high.) Maybe Oliver should buy a few hundred and offer them for $5 to owners  through the mythical and much hinted about Ollie Store.... Add a $1 to ship in a USPS envelope.

D18341E7-D491-4815-BD8B-A95221D2219E.thumb.png.828412c5430410d83fb99410f2a6b934.png

https://shop.southco.com/en_us/latches/rotary-latch-systems/actuators/m1-546

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies
  • Thanks 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators

I believe that Patriot recently purchased  couple of these.  You might want to PM him for details. 

Edited by topgun2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

1 hour ago, topgun2 said:

I believe that Patriot recently purchased  couple of these.  You might want to PM him for details. 

Bill, Indeed I did and paid too much...

FEFE3A7B-94E4-44B0-A844-5574E7145834.png

Edited by Patriot
  • Like 1

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

2 hours ago, Townesw said:

I saw this latch on a Polaris Slingshot and thought it looked like the latches on my Oliver, only it appeared to have a cut-key-lock instead of the stamped-key-lock I have. 

447FD3D0-B165-48F2-B06A-27D8D87F269F.thumb.jpeg.f646b3f95087144f60387a0bce4eab2b.jpeg

This is the stamped-key-lock on the battery compartment and basement doors on my Oliver.

F75CD50C-8A8E-4BA8-A222-244713687C8C.thumb.jpeg.68d9388ecdb61b79629ab349d716521e.jpeg

I looked at the Southco website and found that more secure latches are available. You might consider replacing the OE latch with one of these more secure options. Notice the cut-key “lock style 9” vs the stamped key “lock style 8”. 

https://files.southco.com/static/Literature/m1-c.en.pdf

Thanks . . . . great info. . . . .  I'm still a bit concerned about the security of the lithium batteries while we are away from our Oliver.

Ray and Susan Huff

2 hours ago, John E Davies said:

Woah! Seems a little pricey at $25 per pair. A quick search shows you can order direct for $3.37. Shipping adds $12 to the cost. (Sometimes Amazon Prime prices are criminally high.) Maybe Oliver should buy a few hundred and offer them for $5 to owners  through the mythical and much hinted about Ollie Store.... Add a $1 to ship in a USPS envelope.

D18341E7-D491-4815-BD8B-A95221D2219E.thumb.png.828412c5430410d83fb99410f2a6b934.png

https://shop.southco.com/en_us/latches/rotary-latch-systems/actuators/m1-546

John Davies

Spokane WA

Oliver should install the more secure locks . . . . . what are there, two on the exterior?  In the least, they should include the cut key on units with the Lithium option and build the price difference into the upgrade price.

Warning: Do not mail keys in an envelope.  I mailed our son a car key, when he lost his,  The envelope was sent through the franking equipment and tore.  The key jammed the equipment, shutting it down . . . . . thank goodness the PO assumed responsibility . . . . . . Could have been an expensive key!

• Sad 1

Ray and Susan Huff

• Moderators

At one time Bruce Norton ordered a lot of these keys.  He sold me a couple.  Anyone interested might try sending Bruce a PM.  Good luck.

Bill

Edit  -  if sending a PM try Forum member name - Cheryl

Edited by topgun2

• 1 month later...

When I saw this key I immediately started looking into new locks for the exterior battery and basement doors.  I'm not as concerned about the batteries (which can be secured in other ways from inside with a padlock), but the fairly easy access to the interior through the basement concerns me.  I will probably end up calling Southco as I don't see the part with the over-molded key listed on their website.

States Visited Map

2020 Elite II, Hull 688 --- 2021 Silverado 2500HD, 6.6L Duramax Diesel

If I stored my trailer in a paid by the month facility I might have some concerns about thief, but we store our trailer at home where I feel pretty safe with it there. When camping I've never had anything stolen from the campsite in 45 years of camping, but I do lockup our ebikes as they are expensive and could just be rolled off, or put in the back of a truck with not too much effort. We do camp when to old people camp, during the week and try not to camp on weekends when the wild ones are out, haha, oh we are the wile ones.

trainman

• Haha 2

2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.

On 9/26/2020 at 9:22 AM, Townesw said:

The lock pictured can be found on page 3: https://www.onmar.se/pub_docs/files/catalogue/section_b.pdf

They mention a 3 Wafer Flat Key (MIM) lock which should correspond to keys PK-10-01 and PK-10-01-05. I can't tell if the cylinder comes out to allow a re-key though.

Does anyone know the D and G values for an Oliver?

lock.PNG.32637c1a8c4cc38f3133c69837110d62.PNG

Edited by Jairon

2019 Toyota Land Cruiser

2021 Oliver Elite II, Hull #748

20 hours ago, Jairon said:

The lock pictured can be found on page 3: https://www.onmar.se/pub_docs/files/catalogue/section_b.pdf

They mention a 3 Wafer Flat Key (MIM) lock which should correspond to keys PK-10-01 and PK-10-01-05. I can't tell if the cylinder comes out to allow a re-key though.

Does anyone know the D and G values for an Oliver?

lock.PNG.32637c1a8c4cc38f3133c69837110d62.PNG

I have the lock off of the door right now (2020 Elite II).  The hole size is 2" and the thickness of the fiberglass is 10mm.  So D is 1 above.  I have the short cam offset reversed from what I can tell.  Worse case is just to re-use the same cam that's on the stock lock.  I found the correct Southco locking compression latch with the overmolded keys here:

http://www.uglyfishinc.com/southco-m1-deck-hatch-marine-enclosure-latches-p/m1-2x-xx-x8.htm

• Thanks 2
  • Like 1

States Visited Map

2020 Elite II, Hull 688 --- 2021 Silverado 2500HD, 6.6L Duramax Diesel

• 2 weeks later...

I will add this - although I am not sure if anything has changed since 2018 builds.

The latch on the battery tray slide has a history of breaking off - shearing - and the door then becomes the only thing keeping the tray and its contents from sliding out.

I drilled a 1/4 hole through both of the slide arms and secured with a double nutted bolt. It is not coming out with out taking the bolt loose. If I needed an an additional locking mechanism - this is where I would do it.

Its cheap too.

If I were a thief - the lockable latch just does seem that difficult to overcome. But then what passing by thief has  the tools and time to disconnect the batteries - 

RB

Edited by BackofBeyond
update
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 2

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201