Pickup storage solutions

Ray and Susan Huff

15 hours ago, Overland said:

Anyone familiar with the RSI SmartCap?  It's a stainless steel cap with hinged side windows and a ton of accessories.  Looks like it could be really nice - https://www.rsismartcap.com/smarter-truck

I like this. Seems the GMC 2020 2500 and on are a different box  configuration. When I get a new truck (and a divorce) this would be in consideration. I can dream...

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

I got a Leer -  dealer was close by - got the Leer - has been a great product. Didn't see a big difference between the two major brands.  Color code to your truck, fit and finish are great. I built some dividers for the interior storage. 40K miles - all looking good.

20180820_162145.jpg

• Like 1

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

I had not heard of the Smart Cap. The fact that it can be shipped to your house implies it can be disassembled for storage....? Interesting. How does it attach and seal? I need to do some reading. 

If I had a pickup I would buy a Go Fast Camper. Fully welded steel cage, massive roof carry load, and a place to sleep too.
https://gofastcampers.com/

Assuming I could get one. The waiting list is veeeeeery long. It used to be 18 months, with Covid, who knows? Made in Montana.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

The Smart Cap was originally made in South Africa, so it is engineered and built right. I have a few concerns, notably all the dinky 6mm fasteners holding the parts together, but from reviews it is rock solid once secured to the truck. It is not easily disassembled for flat storage, but you can swap out a damaged panel. I like the looks, but not the IKEA Furniture construction. Maybe I could get over that. I bet it sweats moisture inside and wonder what a big hailstone would do..... Weight is 175 to around 200 pounds for the basic shell, with no accessories. I have been trying to determine the sheet metal gauge, it appears to be pretty thin in the installation video. 

If you have ever owned a stainless steel table, you will understand the importance of gauge. The cheap tables on Amazon are 18 gauge (0.050”) or even 20 gauge, which is way too thin. Commercial ones are much thicker, as heavy as 14 gauge (0.078”). Thin ones arrive all bent and dented in their shipping boxes. Drop a heavy object on one and it will leave a deep gash. Heavy ones are pretty much bulletproof. The designer of the Smart Cap needed to find a good balance between weight, strength and dent resistance. I wonder what they use? Has anyone seen a specification? Do you wonder why they don’t publish it? Maybe because it is really thin? I am a little uncomfortable with this comment:

SmartCap will earn its scars the same way your truck does — one rugged adventure after another.“

It is really hard to paint stainless and have it stay on. I hope they use a really good product. It will be interesting to see what these look like after getting scratched and then pressure washed....

Great review here:

https://www.f150forum.com/f7/rsi-smartcap-evo-2018-f150-review-473893/

I owned a steel Gem Top many decades ago, it looked great but had a lot of issues. I had a Leer on my ‘06 Ram. It looked great and had some fitment issues (gaps mostly, that I had to seal myself). One thing I did learn is that if you are like me and do not like dirty windows, buy the flip up front window so you can get in the “gap” to clean both the back of the truck window and the front of the canopy window. It is almost impossible otherwise, even with a small slider there.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

On 9/12/2020 at 10:02 AM, rideandfly said:

Susan,

Here's the Diamondback before installation on our Tundra:

i-xpC9kHr-L.jpg

Ready to camp:

i-9qVtqFH-L.jpg

My husband is concerned that the brackets (lock-rod brackets?) that are part of the installation will be in the way when the pickup bed is used without the cover.  I spoke with DB and they say they protrude about 2" from the inside of the bed and are about 4" wide.  Could you share a picture of the brackets up close so we can get an idea of how much they impair the use of the bed without the cover.

DB did mention that the HD/SE model brackets are the lest imposing.

Thanks

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

3 hours ago, Susan Huff said:

My husband is concerned that the brackets (lock-rod brackets?) that are part of the installation will be in the way when the pickup bed is used without the cover.  I spoke with DB and they say they protrude about 2" from the inside of the bed and are about 4" wide.  Could you share a picture of the brackets up close so we can get an idea of how much they impair the use of the bed without the cover.

DB did mention that the HD/SE model brackets are the lest imposing.

Thanks

Susan,

Our Diamondback on a 2016 Tundra is the SE model. Hope these photos help.

https://diamondbackcovers.com/products/diamondbackse?variant=32626020089955

Edit: If you are asking about bed rails that locking rods insert into, bed rails were standard on our SR5 Tundra and probably many pickups. They are almost flush with the top inside of the pickup bed:

i-NHxj2Z3-L.jpg

Measuring from bottom of cover:

i-cpCXhqZ-L.jpg

Measuring from top of truck bed:

i-DtRN6HZ-L.jpg

Exterior lock lever:

i-r6pKKgh-L.jpg

Interior lock:

i-mmV7jRC-L.jpg

i-zhm6kDN-L.jpg

Edited by rideandfly
  • Thanks 2
  • Like 1

LE2

3 hours ago, rideandfly said:

Susan,

Our Diamondback on a 2016 Tundra is the SE model. Hope these photos help.

https://diamondbackcovers.com/products/diamondbackse?variant=32626020089955

Edit: If you are asking about bed rails that locking rods insert into, bed rails were standard on our SR5 Tundra and probably many pickups. They are almost flush with the top inside of the pickup bed:

i-NHxj2Z3-L.jpg

Measuring from bottom of cover:

i-cpCXhqZ-L.jpg

Measuring from top of truck bed:

i-DtRN6HZ-L.jpg

Exterior lock lever:

i-r6pKKgh-L.jpg

Interior lock:

i-mmV7jRC-L.jpg

i-zhm6kDN-L.jpg

Our 2013 F-350 SD doesn't have those rails built in.   

While we like the robust construction of the Diamondback covers, we aren't too keen on the access, especially when we have a bike rack attached to the rear of the pickup.  Also, we'd eventually like to ditch our inflatable kayaks and haul hard shell kayaks on a rack; doing so, the doors on the DB cover would hit the kayaks when open.

Another option we have looked at is the Bakflip MX4 .  It can also be equipped with a rack assembly for Kayaks; load limit is 400#, so no problem there.

Before we make any decision, and spend $$$ for a bed cover, we need to confirm that our bike rack and bikes will fit between the pickup and the hitch jack on the Oliver, with the addition of a dual receiver adapter.  If not, what we do will depend on what alternative means of carrying bikes we choose.

So, until we actually have our trailer and can confirm the bike rack installation, we will do without a bed cover.  That means driving to Tennessee with everything we need in the back seat of the pickup.  I'm just a little nervous about traveling cross country in December without a generator . . . . . . and a generator is yet another story!

I appreciate all the suggestions . . . . . keep them coming ☺️

Edited by Susan Huff

Ray and Susan Huff

• Moderators

Susan - 

I've had a Bakflip MX4 for several years now.  Basically I really do like it since I can fold it right up to the cab of the truck without taking it leaving plenty of room to haul my motorcycle or mulch or ...

However, two words about their customer service:

1 - when a buckle broke they sent me an entire set of hardware at no charge - great for them

2 - when I put a nasty scratch in one of the panels I called them to get the name/color of the paint they use.  They said that they would send me touch-up paint at no charge.  After not receiving that paint and repeated calls asking simply for the color I gave up.  On the advice of a local auto painting shop I repainted the MX4 with "trim & bumper" rattle can paint.  The result is OK but not great.

So, if they were playing baseball they'd be batting 500.  Very good for baseball but certainly not up to Oliver standards.

Bill

• Thanks 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

4 hours ago, topgun2 said:

Susan - 

I've had a Bakflip MX4 for several years now.  Basically I really do like it since I can fold it right up to the cab of the truck without taking it leaving plenty of room to haul my motorcycle or mulch or ...

However, two words about their customer service:

1 - when a buckle broke they sent me an entire set of hardware at no charge - great for them

2 - when I put a nasty scratch in one of the panels I called them to get the name/color of the paint they use.  They said that they would send me touch-up paint at no charge.  After not receiving that paint and repeated calls asking simply for the color I gave up.  On the advice of a local auto painting shop I repainted the MX4 with "trim & bumper" rattle can paint.  The result is OK but not great.

So, if they were playing baseball they'd be batting 500.  Very good for baseball but certainly not up to Oliver standards.

Bill

Thanks for the info!  Did you install it yourself or have someone do it?  Do you feel it is secure enough with just the tailgate lock?

Edited by Susan Huff

Ray and Susan Huff

• Moderators

I installed it alone.  No problem at all.

Yes, it is "secure" with the tailgate locked.  Unfortunately though if you are armed with a coat hanger and a small piece of knowledge you can open it (the cover) in less than two seconds.

Besides being able to use virtually the entire bed of the truck with the cover in place, another good feature is being able to close the tailgate and/or the cover with the tailgate and/or cover in any position.  That is - you don't have to open the cover in order to close the tailgate or vice versa.  And, you can open the entire cover without having to get into the bed of the truck.

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

15 hours ago, Susan Huff said:

Before we make any decision, and spend $$$ for a bed cover, we need to confirm that our bike rack and bikes will fit between the pickup and the hitch jack on the Oliver, with the addition of a dual receiver adapter

These receiver adapters/extenders limit the hitch capacity to 3500# so using one with 7000# GTW is out of the question.

2 hours ago, bhncb said:

These receiver adapters/extenders limit the hitch capacity to 3500# so using one with 7000# GTW is out of the question.

Usually this is true, but there are a few other products that might work for Susan, like this Curt ball mount, with 7500/ 750 pound limits. 

2274D31C-C86D-4A34-839C-91CE1FC45F2A.thumb.jpeg.217b42b5c1a40581b944f11016e24723.jpeg

https://www.etrailer.com/p-D210.html

If the Ollie’s tongue is kept light (no cargo tray!) it should work. Unfortunately, finding a unit like that with the correct drop for a Super Duty will be problematic, it is most likely that that one is the wrong height. 

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies

8 hours ago, bhncb said:

Are you sure?  I'd better look into that.  Thanks

Etrailer information on the Ball mount with 2" receiver says wt limit of 7500#  Am I reading that wrong?  Maybe there's something I don't understand.

Tongue weight limit is 750#.  Oliver = 490#  Bikes/rack = 120# total 610#

Bike rack and two bikes weigh 120#

https://www.etrailer.com/s.aspx?qry=dual+receiver+hitch+adapter&furl=-vw-1-pg-Trailer_Hitch_Ball_Mount

Edited by Susan Huff
add link

Ray and Susan Huff

1 hour ago, WhatDa said:

There is nothing left from the diamondback when I remove the HD from our truck.  The center panel connects with 4 clamps, which are easy to take off.  It just connects to the factory bed rails that your F-series has too.

image.png.c26d96a729f191229fb539a4c614dbe2.png

The DB 270 also has brackets that have to be attached to the bed at the cab end.  These are for the locking mechanism.

Ray and Susan Huff

5 hours ago, John E Davies said:

Usually this is true, but there are a few other products that might work for Susan, like this Curt ball mount, with 7500/ 750 pound limits. 

2274D31C-C86D-4A34-839C-91CE1FC45F2A.thumb.jpeg.217b42b5c1a40581b944f11016e24723.jpeg

https://www.etrailer.com/p-D210.html

If the Ollie’s tongue is kept light (no cargo tray!) it should work. Unfortunately, finding a unit like that with the correct drop for a Super Duty will be problematic, it is most likely that that one is the wrong height. 

John Davies

Spokane WA

Yes, my husband thinks the drop won't work.  Oliver has told me a 2 1/2" drop will work with our pickup, but I find that puzzling.  More to investigate, for sure.  Taking our bikes along is becoming a pain in the neck!  Might just have to throw them in the back of the pickup 😬

Ray and Susan Huff

1 hour ago, Susan Huff said:

Yes, my husband thinks the drop won't work.  Oliver has told me a 2 1/2" drop will work with our pickup, but I find that puzzling.  More to investigate, for sure. 

It is easy to check, have you measured your receiver height with the truck loaded for travel (with a simulated cargo plus tongue weight)? I used a 2.5” drop ball mount on my 2006 Ram 3500. It worked perfectly. I used an extended shank (extra long threads) ball with hard Grade 8 washers to fine tune the coupler height. If I remember correctly, I only needed to add a couple under the ball flange to level the trailer perfectly. But that truck had oversized 33” tires, all trucks are different, so you need to measure. Go to the landscape supply place and bring back a couple of yards of dry bark or something, so you can measure with the truck squatting a little.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, John E Davies said:

It is easy to check, have you measured your receiver height with the truck loaded for travel (with a simulated cargo plus tongue weight)? I used a 2.5” drop ball mount on my 2006 Ram 3500. It worked perfectly. I used an extended shank (extra long threads) ball with hard Grade 8 washers to fine tune the coupler height. If I remember correctly, I only needed to add a couple under the ball flange to level the trailer perfectly. But that truck had oversized 33” tires, all trucks are different, so you need to measure. Go to the landscape supply place and bring back a couple of yards of dry bark or something, so you can measure with the truck squatting a little.

John Davies

Spokane WA

I didn't think about simulating a load in the pickup.  My measurement was unloaded.  We have a lot of balast around our ranch to load test with :classic_biggrin:  This is encouraging.   Thank you for the fine tuning tips.

Ray and Susan Huff

2 hours ago, Banjo said:

New Oliver (Monday) here!!  Question:  Does the backflip leak vs the diamondback?  how much do they weigh and how will this affect the payload?  I assume it will of course.  Thanks for yall's help!!

We are seriously considering the Bakflip MX4.  Weight of either would depend on the make/model/length of your pickup bed.  The Diamondback seems more robust; I'm sure it weighs more than the Bakflip.  However, we don't especially care for any of the DB hatch configurations.  IMO, the Bakflip is more versatile with the way it opens and more desirable since there is less of a need to remove the cover to carry large items in the bed.  Both brands are rated at 400# load,  If you need a higher load capacity you'd want to look at the DB HD cover which is rated for 1600#, but costs quite a bit more.

We also looked at the Undercover Ultra Flex but like the Bakflip for these reasons:

Bakflip is quad-fold; Undercover tri-fold

Undercover has one folded position: straight up; Bakflip has two: straight up or leaning against the cab

The underside of Bakflip panels are powder coated; Undercover are carpeted.  

Bakflip has an optional rack for kayaks.

Hope this helps.  We aren't concerned about payload, since we will be towing with an F-350 diesel.  If you contact customer service of either make, I'm sure they can tell you the weight of each.

Ray and Susan Huff