Pickup storage solutions

Ray and Susan Huff

• Moderators

Banjo - 

Yes the bakflip does leak to a very minor extent.  Primarily at the rear corners where it mates with your tailgate.  But, this is minor and can be (somewhat) mitigated with the use of some additional weather striping in these corners.  I'm guessing that nearly all of these covers will leak to some extent under the right conditions.

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• 2 weeks later...

This lists approximate weights of the DB options.  Weight will be +- based on actual bed length too:

https://diamondbackcovers.com/pages/compare-covers

I didn't weigh mine separately, as it was part of my do-not-worry-about-payload-anymore HD truck upgrade

The DB doesn't leak, but my tailgate isn't sealed on the vertical or bottom seam so I get dust or driven water there. 

Between Olivers…

As so many have said, getting the right product to meet one’s PRIMARY usage need is the issue.  We primarily needed 1600 lbs load carrying capacity for our SxS and secure storage for our generators and other gear so went with the heavy DB option.  As for leaks, we’ve been in many a torrential downpour without a problem BUT our Silverado 2500 HD truck bed rails are level and flat all around and the bedliner is sprayed on, insuring a level surface.  In contrast, one of our Ollie friends has a new Ram 1500 with the 400 lbs DB. his bed liner doesnt set flat on his rails and compresses under the the compression of the DB clamps ... creating a dip at the clamp, and thus a makes sealing more of a challenge.  With so many options, it’s a bit crazy-making, challenging and fun(?) to make THE perfect decision.  One of my college professors had a good line about making decisions amongst several good options, “go with the option that makes the most sense.” You can always change your mind if something comes along that makes more sense.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I know I know, this thread ended quite some time ago. But it was quite interesting to me, so I figured I’d add one more thing .

Our TV is a Tundra, Leer cap with the flip up side windows. Plenty of room for our gear in the past.. But we decided we wanted to lug a couple of bikes around, and working out a bike rack without the trailer in hand was unsuccessful.... so the bikes go into the back of the truck..

So I built a storage system into the back of the truck, with space for the bikes, and everything else. There are vertical slots for a folding table and 2 chairs. Street side has a deck 19.5” above the bed with storage for the camp stove and propane bottles, screen room, another chair etc on top. There is a hatch in it to access the area below, where the tools, telescoping ladder, shop vac, power tools, generator, etc get stowed. The generator is easily accessed through an opening next to the bikes. There is also a bait tray ( a plastic tub about 18”x 26” x 11” used to carry lobster bait) with a plywood top.. this gets filled with sea shells, fossils, shark teeth, rocks, pine cones and who all knows what else along the way. The top enables us to store things on top of it. All of this slides out easily to the tailgate with a boat hook. The big cooler slides under the deck behind it. The bikes, which were the cause of all this, back into the curbside of the bed standing up. You can see the plywood receivers I made for the back tires to help hold them upright, and they get strapped to the side of the bed.  I can get our water jugs and other stuff on that side as well. 

I can have the whole contraption disassembled in about 15 minutes..

This is a prototypical project, we will give it a try this winter, redesign as needed next summer, rebuild it with more attractive material than CDX plywood and scrap lumber...

DB86208F-518D-4124-B908-66E309FDDB03.thumb.jpeg.efa34815300b41ec92d40b2af8fc2bf3.jpegBCC7A1C0-649E-4D35-A0A5-3D4B040880E9.thumb.jpeg.8aa841374a344f7b7a67c2a8d2b8fba1.jpeg12C32EAD-E5B3-4A6F-8BAE-2E15F682EC54.thumb.jpeg.4f3baae4553d413030aeab1b8ca35755.jpeg7F998A51-1C4E-4D60-BBC2-7EF22E273F33.thumb.jpeg.fbce40e3fc4bca0b6cba6fd9186dea69.jpeg

• Thanks 2
  • Like 4

Mark & Deb..2020 Elite II..Dearie..Hull #685..2016 Tundra

AZARCAFLMSNMOKPATNTXsm.jpg

5 hours ago, Mcb said:

I know I know, this thread ended quite some time ago. But it was quite interesting to me, so I figured I’d add one more thing .

Our TV is a Tundra, Leer cap with the flip up side windows. Plenty of room for our gear in the past.. But we decided we wanted to lug a couple of bikes around, and working out a bike rack without the trailer in hand was unsuccessful.... so the bikes go into the back of the truck..

So I built a storage system into the back of the truck, with space for the bikes, and everything else. There are vertical slots for a folding table and 2 chairs. Street side has a deck 19.5” above the bed with storage for the camp stove and propane bottles, screen room, another chair etc on top. There is a hatch in it to access the area below, where the tools, telescoping ladder, shop vac, power tools, generator, etc get stowed. The generator is easily accessed through an opening next to the bikes. There is also a bait tray ( a plastic tub about 18”x 26” x 11” used to carry lobster bait) with a plywood top.. this gets filled with sea shells, fossils, shark teeth, rocks, pine cones and who all knows what else along the way. The top enables us to store things on top of it. All of this slides out easily to the tailgate with a boat hook. The big cooler slides under the deck behind it. The bikes, which were the cause of all this, back into the curbside of the bed standing up. You can see the plywood receivers I made for the back tires to help hold them upright, and they get strapped to the side of the bed.  I can get our water jugs and other stuff on that side as well. 

I can have the whole contraption disassembled in about 15 minutes..

This is a prototypical project, we will give it a try this winter, redesign as needed next summer, rebuild it with more attractive material than CDX plywood and scrap lumber...

DB86208F-518D-4124-B908-66E309FDDB03.thumb.jpeg.efa34815300b41ec92d40b2af8fc2bf3.jpegBCC7A1C0-649E-4D35-A0A5-3D4B040880E9.thumb.jpeg.8aa841374a344f7b7a67c2a8d2b8fba1.jpeg12C32EAD-E5B3-4A6F-8BAE-2E15F682EC54.thumb.jpeg.4f3baae4553d413030aeab1b8ca35755.jpeg7F998A51-1C4E-4D60-BBC2-7EF22E273F33.thumb.jpeg.fbce40e3fc4bca0b6cba6fd9186dea69.jpeg

You are amazing!!!  We don't don't have plans, as of yet, to put a cap on our pickup bed; hoping our 1up rack will work with a dual hitch adapter and we can have a tonneau cover.  Will know in a month or so (delivery December 7).  If the bike rack doesn't work out, a storage solution, such as yours would make a great Winter project!

• Like 3

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

Mcb,I don’t see two unmolested bikes fitting into that narrow slot. Do you rotate the handlebars so they face fore and aft? Remove the front wheels? Do you add foam padding and strap the frames to each other?

I also don’t understand how you can possibly get to the generator when all that stuff is loaded. It seems to me that a gennie has to be near the back, possibly on a slide so it can be run out onto the tailgate. I would very much like to see a few pictures please.

Thank you.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

The front tires are removed, forks turned sideways. The bikes are beaters, so being lashed in fine.. not worried about scratches, just don’t want shifting gear in transit.

The generator is easily accessed with the bikes and one chair removed, which would most likely be the case if I need it anyway, as we’d have camp set up. I can crawl up in there and haul it out without issue. We plan on using the generator far less than we did with our Casita and it’s single group 27 battery. 
I have the option to put the generator behind the cooler where it would be easy to rig up a way to slide it in and out and rework the stowing of other gear. 
As I said, this winter will be a trial run for us on many levels.. next summer will be one full of design, modification, and tweaking of the truck and new camper. 

4544E1E3-7766-4BDB-A47F-A11F664B8564.thumb.jpeg.a9984c4c6b6852d8de358d4741a806c5.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, John E Davies said:

Mcb,I don’t see two unmolested bikes fitting into that narrow slot. Do you rotate the handlebars so they face fore and aft? Remove the front wheels? Do you add foam padding and strap the frames to each other?

I also don’t understand how you can possibly get to the generator when all that stuff is loaded. It seems to me that a gennie has to be near the back, possibly on a slide so it can be run out onto the tailgate. I would very much like to see a few pictures please.

Thank you.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Yes . . . . can you possibly post a picture of the bikes loaded.  Our pickup is a long bed, so perhaps the wheels won't need to be removed.

The long bed also poses the problem of how to reach cargo up by the cab.  

Ray and Susan Huff

47 minutes ago, Mainiac said:

A bike rack on the front of the vehicle makes sense too.

Sure does.. but I’ve been listening to the humming, whining, and whistling of ladders, planks and various other gear lashed on top of trucks for years and while I’ve no experience with bikes on the front of the truck, it seems like a potential noise maker..

besides, designing and building stuff like this is way more fun, and a far better distraction...

20 more days til  delivery day... 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Susan Huff said:

Yes . . . . can you possibly post a picture of the bikes loaded.  Our pickup is a long bed, so perhaps the wheels won't need to be removed.

Sure, it’ll be a few days. One advantage of removing the wheels is being able to turn the handlebars, which means the bikes are occupying a much narrower footprint. 

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Mcb said:

Not long, now!

Good luck, and safe travels!

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

3 hours ago, Mcb said:

Sure does.. but I’ve been listening to the humming, whining, and whistling of ladders, planks and various other gear lashed on top of trucks for years and while I’ve no experience with bikes on the front of the truck, it seems like a potential noise maker..

besides, designing and building stuff like this is way more fun, and a far better distraction...

You have a few days on us . . . .  32 days and counting.  Look for our Elite II, Hull #699.  It will be the one without the TV antenna 😀

• Like 1

Ray and Susan Huff

1 hour ago, Mainiac said:

That went quick. At least here. Thanksgiving on the road. A frozen turkey dinner, and a can of cranberry sauce, only trouble...no left overs. Stay safe and enjoy...

We’ve got a few blue potatoes from the garden and we’ll pick the last of the Brussels sprouts to bring with us before we push off. Grab some Turkey someplace, rotisserie chicken, something like that..

Thanksgiving at David Crockett in a new Oliver with plenty to be thankful for...sounds kind of perfect to me..

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 11/4/2020 at 5:33 PM, Mcb said:

We’ve got a few blue potatoes from the garden and we’ll pick the last of the Brussels sprouts to bring with us before we push off. Grab some Turkey someplace, rotisserie chicken, something like that..

Thanksgiving at David Crockett in a new Oliver with plenty to be thankful for...sounds kind of perfect to me..

Great way to spend Thanksgiving . . . . . we're picking the last of the tomatoes . . . . . still have carrots and green onions in the ground.  Beginning to put the garden to bed for the winter.  I'm going to miss the fresh vegetables!

• Like 2

Ray and Susan Huff

On 11/4/2020 at 3:25 PM, Susan Huff said:

Here’s a couple of pictures of the bikes loaded 7B6096AC-FD71-43BF-8598-BE2E9A8D5BD7.thumb.jpeg.727005f333934c43e4ee97a93d4da0a6.jpegEB2FE10C-A611-4A16-AD1F-A3BFB8E0B8B2.thumb.jpeg.32833ed36220923dcaffc446f0441e7b.jpeg8CEBE05B-D82B-45C9-B069-FF2A30669299.thumb.jpeg.a429170b801111e3abe6128885fa36e4.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Mcb said:

Here’s a couple of pictures of the bikes loaded 7B6096AC-FD71-43BF-8598-BE2E9A8D5BD7.thumb.jpeg.727005f333934c43e4ee97a93d4da0a6.jpeg

I see . . . . . the front wheel must be removed since the handle bars wouldn't clear the top of the cap.  We like to carry our bikes with both wheels attached.  I'm hoping our bike rack solution will work.

Ray and Susan Huff

• 3 years later...

Time to resurrect this thread!

I had my truck box sprayed with Line-X, added a cargo ease slide and leer cap

image.thumb.jpeg.6595d14d88e13d9f8d760ea1b5c82076.jpeg
image.thumb.jpeg.80530997288c96ef56c71f289d46c08c.jpeg

Now for those who have a slide, what are you all using for storage on the sides of your slide, the gaps in front and behind the wheel wells? And please if you don’t have a slide, your ideas/suggestions are also welcomed!😊

**FYI, I posted same question here.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

2023 Elite II, Hull# 1386, Lithium Platinum Package (640AH, 400W Solar, 3000W Xantrex Inverter)
Truma water heater & AC

TV: 2024 Silverado 2500HD 6.6L 10-Speed Allison

17 hours ago, rich.dev said:

And please if you don’t have a slide, your ideas/suggestions are also welcomed!😊

Resurrect indeed, your bed liner, slide and cap are great additions! 

I carry two Wavian NATO Jerrycans stowed in front of each wheel well; one with spare TV fuel (E85), the other non-ethanol fuel for the gennys (can be used for the TV in a pinch, but more-so for my two duel fuel generators when propane is not the best for given situations). No slide, but note the loft  for ample stowage.

IMG_6640.thumb.png.bcf2d34171cc1a152728158630072431.png

A portable 100Ah power station is staged behind the driver-side wheel well for use with a Dometic dual zone unit. It is charged via a 200W solar array atop the bed cap. 

IMG_6642.thumb.png.59360f8ca3f4ae7ced01dfd4b4066dd8.png

A folding winch hoist is staged behind the passenger-side wheel well for use in handling heavy cargo, as well as the OTT’s 30# propane tanks.  

IMG_6638.thumb.png.261f0ee0d64b50f0533704b8eca28a85.png

• Like 4

2020 OLEll, Twin, 579

2012 Silverado 1500 4x4

No installed solar, Renogy 40A DC-DC charger, 460Ah LFP battery bank/Victron SmartShunt

On 1/25/2024 at 3:34 PM, rich.dev said:

Time to resurrect this thread!

I had my truck box sprayed with Line-X, added a cargo ease slide and leer cap

image.thumb.jpeg.6595d14d88e13d9f8d760ea1b5c82076.jpeg
image.thumb.jpeg.80530997288c96ef56c71f289d46c08c.jpeg

Now for those who have a slide, what are you all using for storage on the sides of your slide, the gaps in front and behind the wheel wells? And please if you don’t have a slide, your ideas/suggestions are also welcomed!😊

**FYI, I posted same question here.

Pretty slick set up. How much space is occupied by the slide, the distance from the truck bed bottom to the slides storage surface? 
My hesitation in going this route is that sometimes I need my truck to just be a truck, so I’ve got to be able to maximize the bed area… I built the set up in mine so I can disassemble and remove it in 20 minutes or so, and reinstall in about the same time frame. It’s fun looking at those photos from this old thread, as our traveling patterns and needs have evolved the last few years, so has the storage solutions in the truck bed. 

3 hours ago, Mcb said:

How much space is occupied by the slide, the distance from the truck bed bottom to the slides storage surface?

The slide is 78”x48”, from bottom of bed to slide is 4.5”

2023 Elite II, Hull# 1386, Lithium Platinum Package (640AH, 400W Solar, 3000W Xantrex Inverter)
Truma water heater & AC

TV: 2024 Silverado 2500HD 6.6L 10-Speed Allison