Jump to content

Recommended Posts

It's been some time since we have had a towable RV.  Our last was a 30ft fifth-wheel with plenty of onboard storage.  Now that we are getting an Oliver, I'd like to know just how much do you use the pickup bed for carrying essentials.

Our TV is an F350 SD long bed crew cab.  It doesn't have a canopy or even a tonneau cover.  It is also my husband's primary vehicle, aside from his motorcycle!

A few theft-prone items I know we will be carrying:  small toolbox, portable inverter generator, and fuel for the generator, bike gear, inflatable kayaks and gear.  

Other items I'm not concerned about: firewood, water jugs, 

Beyond these, what do you find you routinely carry in a pickup bed and how do you protect cargo from theft and the elements?

For the tools, generator and fuel, a bed width locking toolbox would suffice.  And we could secure the kayak/bike gear in the back seat.

We're open to any and all suggestions.  Thanks

  • Like 1

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; taking delivery December 7, 2020

2013 F350 3.2l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCACOGAHIIDILKSLAMSMONENVNMOKORSCTNTX

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I also have these bedside storage racks which are pretty handy - https://www.builtrightind.com/products/builtright-industries-mbrs-fseries-kit

Sold our 1/2 Ton short bed with an ARE bed cap. Bought a Duramax standard bed. Ordered an ARE bed cap for standard bed but it had a long lead time. In the meantime we used 3 Contico tool boxes for sto

My last 2 caps were Leer.  After 13 years and 150,000 miles it was evident the Cap would last as long as the truck. Highly recommend the bed rug and the Leer cap option to match.  

Posted Images

  • Moderators

Recommend a cap or tonneau cover.  My tools are now in the lockable Rambox on either side.  We carry our generator, grill, Clam, rug, chairs, camp tables, and a couple of large plastic containers in the truck bed.  Not all of it gets off loaded at every site and we use the truck for site seeing and other travel without the trailer so I wouldn’t want stuff in the bed out in the open.  Also, we’ve been in plenty of rain storms and a few snowy situations so I like to have things in the truck bed covered and secure.  Mike

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Mike and Carol | Fair Oaks Ranch, TX | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram Rebel 4X4 5.7L Hemi

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpg

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Mike and Carol said:

Recommend a cap or tonneau cover.  My tools are now in the lockable Rambox on either side.  We carry our generator, grill, Clam, rug, chairs, camp tables, and a couple of large plastic containers in the truck bed.  Not all of it gets off loaded at every site and we use the truck for site seeing and other travel without the trailer so I wouldn’t want stuff in the bed out in the open.  Also, we’ve been in plenty of rain storms and a few snowy situations so I like to have things in the truck bed covered and secure.  Mike

I need to check if our PU tailgate is lockable.  I don't think it is.  

We don't carry a lot of campground gear and what we do have is very compact.  Do you carry a portable generator?

I agree that protection from the weather is essential.

Thanks

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; taking delivery December 7, 2020

2013 F350 3.2l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCACOGAHIIDILKSLAMSMONENVNMOKORSCTNTX

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Moderators
9 minutes ago, Susan Huff said:

I need to check if our PU tailgate is lockable.  I don't think it is.  

We don't carry a lot of campground gear and what we do have is very compact.  Do you carry a portable generator?

I agree that protection from the weather is essential.

Thanks

I carry a 2K Watt Champion.  Nice size, 38 pounds, very quiet.

  • Thanks 2

Mike and Carol | Fair Oaks Ranch, TX | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram Rebel 4X4 5.7L Hemi

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpg

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sold our 1/2 Ton short bed with an ARE bed cap. Bought a Duramax standard bed. Ordered an ARE bed cap for standard bed but it had a long lead time. In the meantime we used 3 Contico tool boxes for storage. Really worked well. I did use a cable to lock the big cooler to the truck. 

Picture taken on the Washington Island Ferry. 
 

4770F2D4-C8E4-457B-B62B-B391D149A131.jpeg

Edited by Townesw
  • Like 4

Bill and Martha

2018 LEII Hull 313

2019 Chevrolet 2500HD Duramax with a custom Turboencabulator modification 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Townesw said:

Sold our 1/2 Ton short bed with an ARE bed cap. Bought a Duramax standard bed. Ordered an ARE bed cap for standard bed but it had a long lead time. In the meantime we used 3 Contico tool boxes for storage. Really worked well. I did use a cable to lock the big cooler to the truck. 

Picture taken on the Washington Island Ferry. 
 

4770F2D4-C8E4-457B-B62B-B391D149A131.jpeg

How long a wait for the ARE?  Do they colormatch to your paint?

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; taking delivery December 7, 2020

2013 F350 3.2l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCACOGAHIIDILKSLAMSMONENVNMOKORSCTNTX

Link to post
Share on other sites

We purchased an ARE cap and yes, they are color matched.  Ours has LED lighting which helps at night.  We have over $20K of product in the bed of the truck and wanted it protected from the elements and prying eyes when traveling with and without the travel trailer.  https://www.4are.com/product/z/

 

Steph and Steve from Jacksonville OREGON


Oliver Elite II, Pickup May 2019


Ram 1500 4x4 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Susan Huff said:

How long a wait for the ARE?  Do they colormatch to your paint?

June 2019 I had to wait 6 weeks to get the bed cap. I don’t know what the wait time is now. As sakthorp said they use the paint code from the vehicle to match the paint but if your vehicle is older the paint may have faded. My cap has a hinged window with sliding glass in the front so that you can wash the windows between the cab and cap. Also has an LED light with a prop switch that can be set to turn on when rear window is raised. The lock on the rear window is wired to the truck and is activated with the truck locks. The cap doesn’t completely seal the bed so you still get some dust inside but your stuff will be covered and somewhat secure. 
The cap will increase the noise level in the cab slightly, especially in the back seat. 
 

824ADB6E-9E47-4BEC-BB58-308AF92487DD.jpeg

Edited by Townesw
Added additional pontification
  • Thanks 1

Bill and Martha

2018 LEII Hull 313

2019 Chevrolet 2500HD Duramax with a custom Turboencabulator modification 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

My last 2 caps were Leer.  After 13 years and 150,000 miles it was evident the Cap would last as long as the truck.

Highly recommend the bed rug and the Leer cap option to match.

 

image.thumb.jpeg.4f2cebd423b3b08f54cb1025e356e688.jpeg

Edited by Dean
  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Townesw said:

June 2019 I had to wait 6 weeks to get the bed cap. I don’t know what the wait time is now. As sakthorp said they use the paint code from the vehicle to match the paint but if your vehicle is older the paint may have faded. My cap has a hinged window with sliding glass in the front so that you can wash the windows between the cab and cap. Also has an LED light with a prop switch that can be set to turn on when rear window is raised. The lock on the rear window is wired to the truck and is activated with the truck locks. The cap doesn’t completely seal the bed so you still get some dust inside but your stuff will be covered and somewhat secure. 
The cap will increase the noise level in the cab slightly, especially in the back seat. 
 

824ADB6E-9E47-4BEC-BB58-308AF92487DD.jpeg

Thanks for the pic.  Is that a 6' or 8' bed?  Looks like 6'; ours is 8'

 

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; taking delivery December 7, 2020

2013 F350 3.2l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCACOGAHIIDILKSLAMSMONENVNMOKORSCTNTX

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Susan Huff said:

Thanks for the pic.  Is that a 6' or 8' bed?  Looks like 6'; ours is 8'

 

I think it’s about 79 inches.

  • Like 1

Bill and Martha

2018 LEII Hull 313

2019 Chevrolet 2500HD Duramax with a custom Turboencabulator modification 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have the Decked drawer system and love it.  It is waterproof and I never am crawling/reaching for anything in the bed.  Everything stays locked up and organized.  For larger items, I have a Yakima rack where I can cable lock the generator on top of the Decked drawers, carry kayaks and, 2 - 4 extra gallons of gas in Rotopax cans.

  • Like 2

David and Vicky
2017 Ford F-250 4x4 6.2L
2020 LEII #686 (under construction)
ALAROKTNTX3eef69d249f7796ab0eb69cba1cb15

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t have an Oliver (yet!) but tow our Casita with an older Tundra with a 6-1/2’ bed. I found a Leer cap on Craigslist (was even the right color) and it has been great. I customized it by adding a removable side shelf for the Clam, and overhead rails for the solar panel and other thin light stuff. If I was to buy a new one, I’d get one with the side windows that open up. Easier access, and less need for “climb-ins.” I have a homemade shephers hook to snag things I can’t reach, but the side doors would make life easier.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, DCdude said:

I have the Decked drawer system and love it.  It is waterproof and I never am crawling/reaching for anything in the bed.  Everything stays locked up and organized.  For larger items, I have a Yakima rack where I can cable lock the generator on top of the Decked drawers, carry kayaks and, 2 - 4 extra gallons of gas in Rotopax cans.

Interested . . . . . Do you have some pics you can share?

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; taking delivery December 7, 2020

2013 F350 3.2l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCACOGAHIIDILKSLAMSMONENVNMOKORSCTNTX

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/7/2020 at 7:05 AM, Townesw said:

June 2019 I had to wait 6 weeks to get the bed cap. I don’t know what the wait time is now. As sakthorp said they use the paint code from the vehicle to match the paint but if your vehicle is older the paint may have faded. My cap has a hinged window with sliding glass in the front so that you can wash the windows between the cab and cap. Also has an LED light with a prop switch that can be set to turn on when rear window is raised. The lock on the rear window is wired to the truck and is activated with the truck locks. The cap doesn’t completely seal the bed so you still get some dust inside but your stuff will be covered and somewhat secure. 
The cap will increase the noise level in the cab slightly, especially in the back seat. 
 

824ADB6E-9E47-4BEC-BB58-308AF92487DD.jpeg

We just ordered a Leer topper on Monday and were told that it would be 5-6 weeks for delivery. We are downsizing from a 5th wheel and definitely needed the extra secure space in the truck for other items. 
If only our Ollie could be delivered in 5-6 weeks! Anticipation is half the fun though...

Edited by Time2Go!
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Moderators

Very nice truck...

  • Thanks 1

Steve, Tali and the dogs: Reacher, Lucy and Rocky plus our beloved Storm and Maggie (both waiting at the Rainbow Bridge) 2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, HULL NUMBER: 0026 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, HULL NUMBER: 0050 2017 Silverado High Country 2500HD Diesel 4x4 

 

      ALAKAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMA       ABBCMBNSYTsm.jpg

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Moderators
24 minutes ago, Mattnan said:

We have a tonneau cover for our Tundra and our item list is almost identical to Mike and Carol's with the exception of the generator.  We also keep our ladder in the truck bed.

Oh, I forgot the ladder.  We also carry a ladder and probably something else I forgot.

  • Thanks 1

Mike and Carol | Fair Oaks Ranch, TX | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram Rebel 4X4 5.7L Hemi

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpg

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

We have a Leer cap on our Tundra with the side windows that are hinged on top so they flip up to open.. easy access to the full length of the truck bed, which has been handy as it spends most of the year loaded with tools related to work...The flip up windows are the way to go, the ones that slide don’t ( I’m pretty sure) allow full access.. 

I’m in the midst of designing and building a storage system for the truck bed in anticipation of the November pick up of our new Oliver.... and hitting the road...

It’s a good distraction as I try not to count the days..🙂

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mcb said:

We have a Leer cap on our Tundra with the side windows that are hinged on top so they flip up to open.. easy access to the full length of the truck bed, which has been handy as it spends most of the year loaded with tools related to work...The flip up windows are the way to go, the ones that slide don’t ( I’m pretty sure) allow full access.. 

I’m in the midst of designing and building a storage system for the truck bed in anticipation of the November pick up of our new Oliver.... and hitting the road...

It’s a good distraction as I try not to count the days..🙂

 

Don't forget space for the Camp Chef. Without an oven in the Oliver you got to plan for a way to cook biscuits, or cornbread. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Well.... we don’t have the Camp Chef that bakes..we do have our old trusty Camp Chef Everest campstove however.. so in terms of biscuit baking, we opted for the convection oven in the new camper. Hopefully it works out well. We will be in David Crockett St Pk for Thanksgiving, and I’m tempted to try to jam a turkey ( ok, maybe just a chicken) into it...
 

Link to post
Share on other sites

We also ordered a 2020 ARE Z topper or camper shell depending on where you are from for our 2020 Ford Tremor. We will have more room than we will need to pack our gear. Taking delivery in mid to end of Oct. I have owned several ARE toppers over the years. They make a fine topper with hidden rear door hinges. The fit and finish is absolutely top shelf in my experience.

-Patriot

  • Like 2

2020 Ford F-250 6.7 liter Powerstroke Lariat Ultimate “Tremor” High Cap tow pkg  - 2020 OLEII - Hull #634 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rideandfly said:

Susan,

We have a Diamondback cover on the Tundra and like using it for camping. 

i-qZBwXxC-L.jpg

i-rpb7JVc-L.jpg

i-b2KJm84-L.jpg

 

 

Looking great Bill, beautiful rig!

  • Like 1

2020 Ford F-250 6.7 liter Powerstroke Lariat Ultimate “Tremor” High Cap tow pkg  - 2020 OLEII - Hull #634 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/8/2020 at 11:33 AM, Susan Huff said:

Interested . . . . . Do you have some pics you can share?

42E2270A-6DD6-466C-9550-01B66145A400.jpeg.fbccab2280ddec16caaf99880721691e.jpeg
Sorry about the rotation. 
 

This system works for me.  It supports 3 different functions so the content of the Decked system can be changed out in just a few minutes.  I’ve had  camper shells and tonneau covers but this is far easier for me to use and organize and most importantly, access! The Rotopax jugs aren’t in this picture because the Yakima mounts have been unavailable for months.
I can remove the rack in just a few minutes and park a 4 wheeler on top. 
I have 2 Hobie Outback kayaks that can fit on top of the rack which was a priority while pulling the Oliver.

Also, we know that in buying the Oliver, we forfeited taking along the occasional grandchild.  IF that becomes an issue, we can buy an overland style tent for the rack without losing storage.

Probably what makes this work for me is that I have terrible organization skills!  

Each drawer holds 200 lbs and everything in them stays dry and secure. 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

David and Vicky
2017 Ford F-250 4x4 6.2L
2020 LEII #686 (under construction)
ALAROKTNTX3eef69d249f7796ab0eb69cba1cb15

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...