The little things that matter

SeaDawg

A second to the 7 Pin Protector....in our case installed on the Basket on the tongue.

2050288026_ScreenShot2020-10-18at12_11_09PM.thumb.png.f5aa183a2e113fcf514b130e3708b1d5.png

• Like 2

2019 Elite II (Hull 505 - Galway Girl - August 7, 2019 Delivery) 
Tow Vehicle: 2021 F350 King Ranch, FX4, MaxTow Package, 10 Speed, 3.55 Rear Axle
Batteries Upgrade: Dual 315GTX Lithionics Lithiums - 630AH Total
Inverter/Charger: Xantrex 2000Pro 

Travel BLOG:  https://4-ever-hitched.com

IMG_5421.jpeg.c1f697a00240a9bd6729b0930bd3a4aa.jpeg

• Moderators

Earlier in this thread Seadawg suggested a product called "Shoe Goo" and I then mentioned "E6000".  I believe that it is was in the craft section of a Super WalMart that I found a four pack of E6000 in small 0.18 fl oz tubes.  These very small tubes are handy in that they have enough glue in them for most projects without drying out like the larger tubes tend to do before you can use it all.  I always keep a couple of these small guys in the "junk" drawer of the Oliver just in case.

Another product I saw recently in a "You, Me and the RV" Youtube video was for E6000 Extreme Tack.  They used this product on the bottoms of several items to keep them from moving around on the counter as they drove down the road:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IR11XIM/?ref=exp_youmetherv_dp_vv_d

Bill

• Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators

E6000 is a very similar formula,  to shoe goo, from what i have read. I've only used shoe goo.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

Let me add that replacing the screening is really not difficult and there are many Youtube videos on the subject:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=replacing+screening

However, if you chose to tackle this then make sure that you do the screen door last.  The radius of the curved upper left and right of the screen door is reasonably tight which makes it a bit tricky to get the screening even in that area.  I found that more force had to be applied to the spline tool while gently smoothing the screen in order to get those corners done correctly.  Other than that this is a project that most owners can do without difficulty.

Bill

• Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

It's the middle of the night & Fido needs to go out. You want to be able to grab a flashlight without the need to turn on a light. This Command Broom Holder is the answer. Plus, it stays put when rolling down the road. 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01G1Y42H0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_-YJJFb4833X8E

20201019_202142.jpg

• Thanks 3
  • Like 4
Chris & Duke Chadwell
🐾Maddie & Baxter🐾
Elite II Hull 292
2022 F-250 Lariat 7.3 Godzilla 4x4 Lakeland,FL

• Moderators
On 10/19/2020 at 8:55 AM, topgun2 said:

I found that more force had to be applied to the spline tool while gently smoothing the screen in order to get those corners done correctly.  Other than that this is a project that most owners can do without difficulty.

Our local Ace hardware does rescreening, too.

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

1 hour ago, SeaDawg said:

Our local Ace hardware does rescreening, too.

"Ace is the Place" 

We love our Ace Hardware.  If they don't have it, they can probably get it.  We try to shop local 😃

• Like 1

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

Here's something that I've been carrying around with me while on the road and using a lot lately.  Seems I'm either trying to get/stay in shape or work out an elbow or shoulder pain.  These are lightweight and if creative, you can get in a full low impact weight workout.

Edited by NCeagle
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 2

States Visited Map

2020 Elite II, Hull 688 --- 2021 Silverado 2500HD, 6.6L Duramax Diesel

• Moderators

Nceagle, where do you fasten the door strap? To the truck door?

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• Moderators

NCeagle -

After rotator cuff surgery a number of years ago, I've been using these or bands at least three times a week.  I too carry them when camping but must confess that I have succumbed to the siren call of the adult beverage after a day of fishing versus putting in the half hour (or so) of exercise.

That is a decent price for the entire outfit.  Unfortunately, it is usually one of the bands wears out before the others and then it is sometimes difficult to replace just that single one.

Bill

I've used hotel doors (pre-COVID), but lately I have used my truck door, mirror, side-step and tailgate.  A lot of times just my foot.  😀  Carrying a few of these vinyl coated S hooks adds a bit more flexibility to where and what you can hook them up to as well.  These are not very "heavy duty" though (good to about 45 pounds each), so one may need to double up or use thicker ones if working with more of the bands.

Edited by NCeagle
  • Thanks 1

States Visited Map

4 minutes ago, topgun2 said:

NCeagle -

After rotator cuff surgery a number of years ago, I've been using these or bands at least three times a week.  I too carry them when camping but must confess that I have succumbed to the siren call of the adult beverage after a day of fishing versus putting in the half hour (or so) of exercise.

That is a decent price for the entire outfit.  Unfortunately, it is usually one of the bands wears out before the others and then it is sometimes difficult to replace just that single one.

Bill

Yes, camping gives lots of extra exercise opportunities and I'll bet I use these less in the Ollie.  I do use them primarily for rotator cuff problems too.  I haven't had surgery but probably will have to soon.  Anyway, perhaps if needed they can be used for other things such as extra tie downs, or a super cool sling shot of some sort!   Maybe lob water balloons at each other with them at the next owners rally. 😏

• Haha 1

States Visited Map

I use No-Rinse car wash and one of these super absorbent drying cloths on my car.  I'm getting another to carry in the Oliver for wiping down the bathroom after showering.  Great thing is, you just rinse and wring it out well, then store damp in the container.  Should work well, you think?

The Absorber.jpeg

https://www.amazon.com/CleanTools-149-Natural-Single-Absorber/dp/B0000AY69V

Edited by Susan Huff
  • Thanks 1

Ray and Susan Huff

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Susan Huff said:

I cut the Absorber in half to make 2 bath towels.  I never worry about it drying.  I just wet it, wring it out, dry off.  Wet it again, wring it out and put it back in a quart size ziplock bag.  
Mossey

• Like 1

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

14 hours ago, mossemi said:

I cut the Absorber in half to make 2 bath towels.  I never worry about it drying.  I just wet it, wring it out, dry off.  Wet it again, wring it out and put it back in a quart size ziplock bag.  
Mossey

Great idea, but you don't get the "warm-fuzzy" feel you get drying off with a towel.  We've tried the camp towels, but they don't seem to be very absorbent; they just smear the water around. I found a great deal on quick-drying Turkish towels at Sierra Trading post. Aqua Blue for me and Grey for DH.  I also see them on Land's End - a set of two each bath towel, hand towel and washcloth for a bit less.  They are soft and supposed to dry quickly without the sour towel syndrome.  If they don't work out in the Oliver, we need new towels for the house anyway!

Ray and Susan Huff

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Susan Huff said:

Great idea, but you don't get the "warm-fuzzy" feel you get drying off with a towel. 
We've tried the camp towels,

I’m already "warm&fuzzy", just ask anyone except Krunch.  And I was already using the Absorder's or chamois's while motorcycle camping when camp towels became available, so I never have tried them.  I would suggest that you compare the camp towel to the Absorber the next time you "are working at the car wash".😉

Mossey

Edited by mossemi
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

• Moderators

The absorber should work really well for the shower, Susan. I've always just used a microfiber towel.

Btw, I bought these over 4 years ago on Amazon. Probably similar to the Absorber, but much less in price. I wash them when necessary with microfibers, but not cottons or terry cleaning cloths. No fabric softener, and no dryer. Probably time to get some new ones.

Screenshot_20201031-130941_Chrome.jpg

Edited by SeaDawg
  • Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

We found a magnetic whiteboard calendar quite helpful. It is held on the closet door by Command stripes. Being on the closet door you see it every time you go in or out. Think we got it at a CVS for about $7. We can list check in/ check out dates and times, and local appointments. Also we can , with magnets', attach any paperwork the check in provided. That paper work will give us any local phone numbers we might need, ie; medical, owner, ranger, depending on park, and sites or places we might want to visit. IMG_20201102_111053.thumb.jpg.299c4c73638393975bf22ecfbcaa321b.jpg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mainiac said:

Probably the most useful addition we have made is the screen door 'assist' handle. Adds stability to the door, and certainly is easier to open and close the door.

IMG_20201102_111139.jpg

Do you recall the size/model you installed?  I recall they come in a couple of different sizes - maybe standard and wide, or some such thing.

Ray and Susan Huff

1 minute ago, Susan Huff said:

Do you recall the size/model you installed?  I recall they come in a couple of different sizes - maybe standard and wide, or some such thing.

No, don't recall. Pretty basic adjustable one. Discussed on here in detail, if you search. We did make the aluminum brackets, also shown on here. Those little brackets are what adds stability to the door and stops screwing into the light weight frame part of the door.

• Thanks 1

On 10/18/2020 at 12:11 PM, ctshort09 said:

A second to the 7 Pin Protector....in our case installed on the Basket on the tongue.

2050288026_ScreenShot2020-10-18at12_11_09PM.thumb.png.f5aa183a2e113fcf514b130e3708b1d5.png

We purchased the plug protector, but our 2021 Elite II will not have the storage basket.  Where might be a good place to install?  

Ray and Susan Huff

22 minutes ago, Mainiac said:

No, don't recall. Pretty basic adjustable one. Discussed on here in detail, if you search. We did make the aluminum brackets, also shown on here. Those little brackets are what adds stability to the door and stops screwing into the light weight frame part of the door.

Did a search, but not finding the discussion you mention.

How did you attach the aluminum brackets to the door frame?

Edit: I found your post on the bar installation.

Edited by Susan Huff

Ray and Susan Huff

On 10/17/2020 at 9:31 PM, FrankC said:

Best low cost addition to the Ollie that I’ve made is this plug holder for the 7 pin connector.   Keeps the plug off the ground and dry when set up at the campsite.   Purchased from etrailer

Bought one. Came in today. Snow and sleet squalls today, so maybe another day to install. Hate wading through deep snow to knock the snow out of the plug and turn off the "ghost" lights. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Susan Huff said:

We purchased the plug protector, but our 2021 Elite II will not have the storage basket.  Where might be a good place to install?  

Option one - use zip ties and attach it to the round pipe that the power jack head is on...

Option 2 - as Frank showed in his Facebook Post, he simply attached with stainless bolts with larger backer stainless washers on the back side of the cowling for stress relief.

image0.jpeg.f8397f9d85439f5914f7422a10d8e2a2.jpeg

• Thanks 2

2019 Elite II (Hull 505 - Galway Girl - August 7, 2019 Delivery) 
Tow Vehicle: 2021 F350 King Ranch, FX4, MaxTow Package, 10 Speed, 3.55 Rear Axle
Batteries Upgrade: Dual 315GTX Lithionics Lithiums - 630AH Total
Inverter/Charger: Xantrex 2000Pro 

Travel BLOG:  https://4-ever-hitched.com

IMG_5421.jpeg.c1f697a00240a9bd6729b0930bd3a4aa.jpeg