The little things that matter

SeaDawg

26 minutes ago, ctshort09 said:

Option one - use zip ties and attach it to the round pipe that the power jack head is on...

Option 2 - as Frank showed in his Facebook Post, he simply attached with stainless bolts with larger backer stainless washers on the back side of the cowling for stress relief.

image0.jpeg.f8397f9d85439f5914f7422a10d8e2a2.jpeg

Thank you for the suggestions.   Zip ties are great things!

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

19 hours ago, ctshort09 said:

Option 2 - as Frank showed in his Facebook Post, he simply attached with stainless bolts with larger backer stainless washers on the back side of the cowling for stress relief.

This is exactly how we will install ours...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mainiac said:

This is exactly how we will install ours...

If installed in this position, is the cord long enough to wrap around something to take up slack, or do you need to use some sort of cable tie (terminology?)

Ray and Susan Huff

21 minutes ago, Susan Huff said:

installed in this position, is the cord long enough to wrap around something to take up slack, or do you need to use some sort of cable tie (terminology?)

Wrap or drape on the tongue. Done. Nothing fancy needed, no long thought process. Plug into holder.  Once plugged in it isn't going anywhere. If it was the right size before, and not 'messed with', it should plug into tow vehicle. Adios!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators

I was starting to go through all of the "stuff" I emptied out of the Oliver when I put it to bed for the winter and I came across two things that may be of interest - particularly if you are in a situation where you really need them:

1.  a four way sillcock key.  If someone has "borrowed" the handle on that faucet you need to use in order to fill your tanks or connect to city water then this comes in handy.  It has also been used to turn on the water at a gas station or other retail establishment where they have removed the handle due to vandals.  However - be warned - sometimes these handles have been removed because the owner simply doesn't want you to be taking their water.  Its always best to ask first.

Four way sillcock key.

2.  a water bandit.  Most often these are used in a National Forest Campground where the spigot does not have threads at the outlet.  Again - be warned - there are occasions when either the campground or person owning that spigot doesn't want you to fill your fresh water tank from that spigot.  Its always best to ask first.

Water bandit

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• 3 weeks later...

I don't remember where I bought this as we've had it for several years.  Hung on the face of the Elite II bathroom cabinet with a suction cup hook, It is perfect for drying small items.  When not in use, it collapses into a small size and stores in the bathroom cabinet.  Not sure this would work in an Elite. 

P1530197.JPG

• Like 1

Ray and Susan Huff

• 4 weeks later...
  • Moderators

So, today's purchase barely makes it under the $20 limit, at $19 . But, I'm really happy to find it, at Costco. 

I use a larger wok skillet a lot, at home. This little pan has high sides, 6 inch bottom, and 10 inches across the top. 

It will be great for cooking veggies, and super for skillet dinners. Should be small enough to fit in the drawer, and the smaller pan bottom still allows air to the smev burner.

I'll probably retire the small fry pan I carry. For 13 years, it's been one small pot, one small fry pan. 

20210108_120255.jpg

• Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• 2 months later...

Ha! I finally get to contribute. 

I have no idea how much these cost as my sis-in-law makes these. But, I'm sure they are under the $20 limit by at least $19.50. The secret is the type of thread. I assume it's some type of polyester but it makes a great scrub pad. 

This scrub pad has become the center of my wife's dishwashing system. First, she goes for a walk. While she's gone, I use a paper towel to scrape any loose stuff off the dishes. Then, I simply put a dot of Dawn Liquid Soap on the pad as shown and scrub each dish. I scrub then sort/stack the soapy dishes in the sink by size; largest on the bottom silverware on top. As I'm washing, I frequently rinse the scrub pad and re-apply a dot of Dawn. 

Rinsing is done in groups over the other dishes and scrubbing with a clean pad. In other words, I rinse the silverware in one bundle of running water, the saucers, plates then any cookware last.

This saves lots of water and of course uses very little soap. 

The pad is loosely woven and the "thread" doesn't hold water or food debris like a sponge. It washes clean with very little water. This was one of the first she did - she since added a loop at my request. I think they are crocheted? I'll try to get the name of the hairy thread material. 

My wife really enjoys this because when she gets back from her walk, the dishes are clean, dried and put away.

Dave

DishScrubber.JPG

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

David and Vicky | Burns, TN | 2020 LEII #686 | 2017 Ford F-250 4x4 6.2L

• Moderators
7 hours ago, BlueHighways said:

The secret is the type of thread. I assume it's some type of polyester but it makes a great scrub pad. 

What a great camping gift!

It's called Scrubby yarn, available at any craft store. I have a couple little bundles upstairs that I picked up at Walmart a few years ago.

Time to break out Gramma's crochet hook and see if I remember how to use it. 

Screenshot_20210319-053154_Google.jpg

• Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators

I added to the kitchen storage with this little item from Aldi. (Bought it last year, on discount. About $12.) 

It came with four small cutting boards, but I  put two away for future use, leaving me more room for hard to corral kitchen tools. It only takes up a few inches of the little tabletop, but holds all my knives, and all my tools. Fairly heavy, with nice nonskid feet. I'll shove it in the closet or a bin for travel.  

It's like gaining an entire drawer, for me, and made room in the odd drawer for my new little wok pan.

20210402_121846.jpg

20210402_120957.jpg

20210402_121009.jpg

Edited by SeaDawg
Add photo
  • Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

Here's one that I LOVE everytime I park the trailer:  It's a bubble level that I mounted on the face of my basket so I can see it from inside my TV via my backup camera.  Makes leveling the trailer (side-to-side) almost a one person operation (except I still need my partner to shove the Anderson wedges under the tires before I let the brakes off.)  

I did seal the backside of the tubes with epoxy per a suggestion from (I think) John Davies a few years ago.

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-25563-AccuLevel/dp/B000EDUTOA/ref=asc_df_B000EDUTOA/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312128189269&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=12342072316441648381&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9008247&hvtargid=pla-448524087016&psc=1

• Like 2

2018 Elite II, Hull #414 (the very last 2018 produced).  Trailer name "2 HOBOS" .   2018 F250 4X4 Crew Cab, 6.7L diesel

• Moderators

Hobo, I'm sure that's very helpful. Since you mounted the level to the basket instead if the trailer, which fastening method did you use?

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• Moderators
On 12/10/2020 at 9:22 PM, Ray and Susan Huff said:

I don't remember where I bought this as we've had it for several years.  Hung on the face of the Elite II bathroom cabinet with a suction cup hook, It is perfect for drying small items.  When not in use, it collapses into a small size and stores in the bathroom cabinet.  Not sure this would work in an Elite. 

P1530197.JPG

Susan, I  thinkthat would work in an Elite. I'd just hang the suction hook from the ceiling, as we don't have the cabinet over the window. (I have a hand towel ring hanging from the ceiling most days, and it works fine.)

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

On 4/4/2021 at 9:10 AM, SeaDawg said:

Hobo, I'm sure that's very helpful. Since you mounted the level to the basket instead if the trailer, which fastening method did you use?

I drilled a couple of holes in the basket and used some threaded bolts.  Easy/peasy.

• Like 1

2018 Elite II, Hull #414 (the very last 2018 produced).  Trailer name "2 HOBOS" .   2018 F250 4X4 Crew Cab, 6.7L diesel

On 4/3/2021 at 2:30 PM, SeaDawg said:

I added to the kitchen storage with this little item from Aldi. (Bought it last year, on discount. About $12.) 

It came with four small cutting boards, but I  put two away for future use, leaving me more room for hard to corral kitchen tools. It only takes up a few inches of the little tabletop, but holds all my knives, and all my tools. Fairly heavy, with nice nonskid feet. I'll shove it in the closet or a bin for travel.  

It's like gaining an entire drawer, for me, and made room in the odd drawer for my new little wok pan.

20210402_121846.jpg

20210402_120957.jpg

20210402_121009.jpg

Do you stow it whilst under tow?  

Maggie & Bryan | Arnegard, ND | 2020 LE II "Twins" Hull #665 | 2021 RAM 2500  6.4L HEMI Gasser  4dr  6.5' bed

ABBCMBNBNTNSONPEQCSKYTALARCTDEFLGAILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMONENHNJNYNCNDOHOKPARISCSDTNTXVTVAWVWIxlg.jpg.d41b39fcf844ad1935d35acdc8a6c203.jpg

• Moderators
30 minutes ago, SNY SD UP said:

Do you stow it whilst under tow?  

Yes. I think it (and the contents) could do some damage if it went flying. I plan to stow it in one if my underbed bins.

• Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4