Replacing our Old KingDome. With what?

SeaDawg

• Moderators

When we bought our 2008 Elite, it was a build in progress, with a Kingdome satellite antenna already installed.  Original buyer had canceled the contract,  and we chose that one, hull #12 , because we could have it in a month.

Never really used the kingdome. Now, it's cracking, and we want to get it off the roof.

We can just remove it, clean everything up,  and seal the mounting bracket holes with epoxy, and cover the wire leads with eternabond.

But, after this last camping trip, 6 out of 8 days mostly inside with  torrential rain, Paul thinks he might actually want a roof mount TV/FM radio antenna, even though we've turned the TV on twice in the last ten years...

Converge, the cool shark fin? Winegards new air360? Both are upgradeable to wifi/internet with inside units.

Or, just stay simple, with a marine, Shakespeare Seawatch 19" omnidirectional saucer antenna, with a distribution box /amplifier for TV and fm radio, dc or ac powered. Total cost about $150, if I buy open box on Amazon, and we install ourselves. Still under $200, if I order from one if our favorite marine suppliers.

I'm leaning toward the Shakespeare Seawatch, since it's relatively inexpensive (we'll likely  not use it much, anyway),  gets good reviews, and has a range of 75 miles (optimal). And, it's kind if pretty. 

Or, just pull off the KingDome, and seal the penetrations 

Any real reason to go with a more advanced choice?

Screenshot_20200913-235701_Chrome.jpg

Edited by SeaDawg

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

BTW, I  have no idea what Oliver is installing these days for TV antenna. Do any if you know?

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

I missed your original post on this. A few things to consider:

The Shakespeare mount may not hold up on an RV installation. Best to check with their product support.

The Glomex line of omnis look nicer and have more robust mounts. These are popular with the go-fasts. I believe Hodges carries them.

Seems to me the Air360 is a good choice but it requires a second coax for the AM/FM antenna section. Course you'll also need an ethernet cable for the wifi option if  included. The footprint may cover the Kingdome mounting holes, making for a cleaner install. 

• Like 1

• Moderators

Thanks for that. The Glomex  mount looks much beefier than the Shakespeare.

Price isn't much different.  Hodges and others carry them.

As to the Air 360 (new version,) I'm not concerned about the number of wires. I think(?)  the kingdome already has 4, but we can always pull additional cable, since some are already there. I think it's (a) really big,, and somewhat ugly, and (b) we're unlikely to expand the capabilities with the inside units.  

I'll look further at the glomex ranges, and reviews. I like the automatic gain control.

Is the magnadyne  the current Oliver choice?

Screenshot_20200915-194153_Chrome.jpg

Edited by SeaDawg

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

1 minute ago, SeaDawg said:

Is the magnadyne  the current Oliver choice?

I believe they started switching over within 2020 production. It also requires a second coax but the connector is a Motorola style so you'd have to adapt. I was thinking in terms of a replacement for my Winegard Roadstar which only has the one RG 6. For my LEII, it would be more difficult to pull an additional even though it could go directly to the radio.

The Air360 is actually smaller than it looks and imo wouldn't be too obtrusive, going from a Kingdome. But, it sounds like the Magnadyne may be your best bet.