Got Earplugs?

katanapilot

Well I ordered a 13.5 BTU Houghton today.  I am planning on installing the easy start that came with the trailer.  So I might have some questions on that in the future. I’ll post my experience when I get it and get it installed.  Anyone sold their used Dometic unit?  What did you get for it? Mine is only 7 months old with very little use.  I guess I’ll start trolling Craigslist and eBay.

John

• Like 2

John and Kim

2021 GMC Sierra 2500 AT4 6.6L Duramax 11350 GVWR  3048lb Payload

2021 Oliver Elite II.   Hull #887

I asked for $500 when I sold my 2017 Dometic AC unit, settled for offer of $450. Note that RecPro warned that warranty would be voided if easy start was installed. I took the chance. 

• Thanks 2
  • Like 3

Onward through the Fog!

EarthPicks of Cochise County

AZCACOKSMONVNMORTNTXUTmed.jpg

Calling all easy start experts.  So I received the Houghton and here is what I have found under the hood.  

IMG_1598.thumb.JPG.72832a813bebdea82900c946a8df7a98.JPG

So the red wire comes from the start position on the compressor and goes to the run capacitor.  There are no other wires on that terminal so I will connect the orange wire to the same terminal with the red wire.  The other terminal has 2 white wires.  I will check continuity to determine which wire comes from the Run terminal on the compressor and disconnect that wire from the capacitor.  I will then splice the white wire that I just disconnected to the brown wire from the easy start. Since this compressor is under 3 tons I will connect the white wire from the easy start to the same terminal that I removed the white wire that I connected to the brown wire from the easy start.

IMG_1610.thumb.JPG.d550c83fde6e6a0eef69028df2bffdf7.JPG

The brown wire from the control board goes to the overload protection device on the compressor and then is jumped to the C terminal on the compressor.  So will I need to splice the black wire into the brown wire somewhere before overprotection device.  What is the best technique to do that?  I was thinking of using a 3 way wago connector.  I appreciate all the knowledge here.  I don't want to fry my new AC unit. 🤑

IMG_1605.thumb.JPG.3951ee6a53fac050d0835fdff8c3cb3d.JPG

IMG_1614.thumb.JPG.15ae6c9a360599b3c23c2c06c4e53ccb.JPG

John

John and Kim

1 hour ago, Jps190 said:

What is the best technique to do that?  I was thinking of using a 3 way wago connector.

I  used a 2 to 1 flat terminal adapter on the protection device. That way the original wire terminations can be left in tact and  it will be easy to backout the easystart installation In the event of a failure.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, bhncb said:

I  used a 2 to 1 flat terminal adapter on the protection device. That way the original wire terminations can be left in tact and  it will be easy to backout the easystart installation In the event of a failure.

Brilliant!!  I didn't even thick about piggyback connectors.  Much happier not having to cut wires just in case.

John

• Like 1

John and Kim

2 hours ago, bhncb said:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008HQ63IW?psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&ref_=chk_typ_imgToDp

I ordered some of these but on further inspection it looks like it might be a tight fit under the cover on the compressor  connections.  Were you able to make it fit under the cover?

John and Kim

I used a different style but this one is similar and should work.

https://www.amazon.com/Supco-T1121-Chair-Terminal-Female/dp/B0071NCJ44/ref=pd_bxgy_img_sccl_1/140-1621370-1568045?pd_rd_w=T1dhB&pf_rd_p=6b3eefea-7b16-43e9-bc45-2e332cbf99da&pf_rd_r=E1WBW319HHWRDZ7E8V21&pd_rd_r=556ffc67-d620-4f02-8f4b-3b5a93b01b8f&pd_rd_wg=wGdMb&pd_rd_i=B0071NCJ44&psc=1

Edit:

On the other hand the reviews of that particular one make it questionable. The Ancor Marine version is more expensive but you can be assured of getting a quality piece.   You might  be better off sourcing it locally at a supply house. No need to have to buy 20 of them.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

On 4/4/2022 at 7:52 PM, Jps190 said:

Well I ordered a 13.5 BTU Houghton today.  I am planning on installing the easy start that came with the trailer.  So I might have some questions on that in the future. I’ll post my experience when I get it and get it installed.  Anyone sold their used Dometic unit?  What did you get for it? Mine is only 7 months old with very little use.  I guess I’ll start trolling Craigslist and eBay.

John

John:

I think that SeaDawg installed a Houghton AC last year. Check with them on your questions. 

• Thanks 2
  • Like 1

2018 Oliver Elite II, Twin Bed, Hull #354 

2024 RAM 1500, 4 x 4; Gas. 5.7L V8 Hemi MDS VVT Torque; 3.21 rear axle ratio

Maine 

• Moderators

My dometic dinosaur unot was well  over a decade old, but still (loudly) worked. The exterior shroud was mostly tape, cracked in so many places. (Our trailer is outdoors, 24/7/365.)

I offered parts here, then took it to recycling, with no takers.

The 9.5 works well in our parking spot beside the house, and on house 15 amp. We have a smaller 2008  elite. We don't have lithium, or a way to run the ac from battery. My experience is strictly running it at home. We don't have (nor ever had) an easy start.

It's very quiet. It works. In retrospect,  since we rarely have power camping, I could have replaced the old dometic with a vent fan, and saved a lot of money. 

It is nice, though, to have the ability to have ac, if we need it.

• Like 3

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• 3 weeks later...

I recently installed the Houghton 9.5 in my Elite and later decided to move the temperature probe located inside the a/c so that it protrudes about 3 inches into the cabin. The set temp now correlates almost exactly to actual cabin temp. Before, if I wanted the cabin temp the be maintained at 72 degrees I’d have to set the temp well below 72. Much more pleased now on how it  functions. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 4

2021 Legacy Elite I , Hull #765

2021 Chevrolet Silverado 3.0 Diesel 

Navarre, Fl

• Moderators

@C&MCurrie, does that also help keep the unit from frequent cycling? I moved ours a bit, but didn't think about actually extending it into the cabin. It would make sense, as the Houghton,  with the big chute, not mixing new cold air with hot air,  pretty much senses cold air within the inner adu.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

I want to say it cycles every 4 to 6 minutes which I think is normal. I’ll have to wait until June to really challenge the a/c. We’re going camping at Trimble Park in Mount Dora, FL. Temps probably will be in the 90’s with high humidity. 

2021 Legacy Elite I , Hull #765

2021 Chevrolet Silverado 3.0 Diesel 

Navarre, Fl

• Moderators

That's about what mine does, after reaching desired temp. We've barely used ours, so I figured I'd manage cycling by setting the temp 4 degrees higher, and dealing with it.

Easy with the remote. It's so quiet, it doesn't really bother me, anyway. Then again, we've never done an overnight with it. Just used it in the driveway a few times, as I've said before.

Mt. Dora will definitely give it a workout. Pretty inland town.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

On 4/10/2022 at 5:05 AM, Jps190 said:

I appreciate all the knowledge here.  I don't want to fry my new AC unit. 🤑

For grins have you talked to the EZ-Start gentleman that has installed a bunch of them at the Rally's?  Maybe he has already fried a Houghton and has since figured out the for sure THE ONE way to meet your goal of not "Frying your new unit".

My approach comes from being a Mechanical Engineer.  For electrical matters my wife June is about 50 years ahead of me and my slide rule.  🙂

• Like 2

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DYI’s:  BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DYI’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Timken Bearings, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all.

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

• Moderators
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• Moderators
7 hours ago, Geronimo John said:

For grins have you talked to the EZ-Start gentleman that has installed a bunch of them at the Rally's? 

Unfortunately the last I heard, Matteo (sp?) is no longer with the company.  Hopefully Micro-air will have another employee attend our Rally in the future and it would certainly be nice if the new employee is as helpful, kind and hard working as Matteo.

Bill

• Like 4

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

3 hours ago, SeaDawg said:

Houghton doesn't recommend an ez start. In fact, they state it is unnecessary:

It's unnecessary as long as your power source can handle the inrush current, while also providing power for potentially other demands.  I saw a Houghton table somewhere that the minimum generator size to reliably operate the 3400 was a 2200 watt class like a Honda or Yamaha. Key word being "reliably". A soft starter can still provide benefit.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

I also installed the Micro Air EasyStart on my Houghton AC. I wanted to ensure that my Honda 2200 which is set up with propane conversion would be able to start the AC from eco-mode. In my mind it defeats the purpose of the the inverter generator if it can not function from eco-mode. I also think it's make or break when running off batteries with the 2000 watt inverter.

The captured inrush amps before installation was 67.1 and 48.9 after install.

Paul

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

I did install the easy start on mine, however, my Yamaha 2200 has issues starting the AC when it is in eco mode.   Normal mode works fine.

John

• Like 1

John and Kim

I have also bought the  Yamaha 2200 and was profoundly disappointed, after a lot of back and forth between Yamaha representatives I found no fix for there design flaw of trying to achieve fuel economy by using a under powered engine. It is incapable of handling the load of the AC from eco-mode. I ended up buying a Honda 2200 that utilizes a larger engine, this was my solution to my problem. This was a costly solution and I had done my research but did not find any indication that there was issues in that regard. Here is a post I made back in February of 2021 to try to warn people about the Yamaha 2200.

Minnesota Oli

Good Morning

Yes it does  require a neutral ground plug, with the adapter I use it is workable. I thought the fuel gauge and the lit front instrument panel were nice features also, but if it is not capable of running it's claimed max load from eco mode with out suffering a temporary low voltage it neglect's the purpose of a inverter style generator. I tried to politely tell Yamaha that in the long run they were going to lose a lot of costumers in the RV market by enticing them with the RV receptacle and then fail on performance. That is the problem when the bean counters have more input then the engineering and R&D departments in product development. 

I also included pictures to show the difference in physical size.

Paul 

IMG_0814.jpg

IMG_0815.jpg

IMG_0816.jpg

• Thanks 3
  • Like 1

• Moderators
On 4/5/2022 at 1:40 AM, Spike said:

I asked for $500 when I sold my 2017 Dometic AC unit, settled for offer of $450. Note that RecPro warned that warranty would be voided if easy start was installed. I took the chance. 

Well, there's the rub. Warranty from recpro voided if ez start installed. 

Doesn't matter to me, now, as we are now over a year past install, so out of warranty anyway. Plus, I've never used an ac on generator,  other than in a motorhome rental or delivery. But, it's not our general practice to modify/void warranty on expensive investments. 

If I were someone who wanted to try the Houghton, I'd probably try it for at least six months without the ez start. In our experience,  most problems show up after install, within the first few months of use.

I have yet to find any evidence that houghton has attained an rvia or the Canadian certification,  so that may be the reason you only see aftermarket installs. Again, doesn't bother me, with established products. Our truckfridge isn't. Our 2nd set of solar panels aren't. But, when your trailer is your own, and in its 15th year, you can choose your battles. A manufacturer can't, if they desire to keep rvia certification. 

• Like 4

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

On 5/3/2022 at 12:16 PM, Minnesota Oli said:

I have also bought the  Yamaha 2200 and was profoundly disappointed, after a lot of back and forth between Yamaha representatives I found no fix for there design flaw of trying to achieve fuel economy by using a under powered engine. It is incapable of handling the load of the AC from eco-mode. I ended up buying a Honda 2200 that utilizes a larger engine, this was my solution to my problem. This was a costly solution and I had done my research but did not find any indication that there was issues in that regard. Here is a post I made back in February of 2021 to try to warn people about the Yamaha 2200.

Minnesota Oli

Good Morning

Yes it does  require a neutral ground plug, with the adapter I use it is workable. I thought the fuel gauge and the lit front instrument panel were nice features also, but if it is not capable of running it's claimed max load from eco mode with out suffering a temporary low voltage it neglect's the purpose of a inverter style generator. I tried to politely tell Yamaha that in the long run they were going to lose a lot of costumers in the RV market by enticing them with the RV receptacle and then fail on performance. That is the problem when the bean counters have more input then the engineering and R&D departments in product development. 

I also included pictures to show the difference in physical size.

Paul 

IMG_0814.jpg

IMG_0815.jpg

IMG_0816.jpg

Unfortunately I have owned the Yamaha since 2020 so my only recourse would be to sell it and by the Honda.  I might do that if I end up using the generator more in the future.

John

• Like 1

John and Kim

On 5/3/2022 at 4:47 PM, SeaDawg said:

Well, there's the rub. Warranty from recpro voided if ez start installed. 

Doesn't matter to me, now, as we are now over a year past install, so out of warranty anyway. Plus, I've never used an ac on generator,  other than in a motorhome rental or delivery. But, it's not our general practice to modify/void warranty on expensive investments. 

If I were someone who wanted to try the Houghton, I'd probably try it for at least six months without the ez start. In our experience,  most problems show up after install, within the first few months of use.

I have yet to find any evidence that houghton has attained an rvia or the Canadian certification,  so that may be the reason you only see aftermarket installs. Again, doesn't bother me, with established products. Our truckfridge isn't. Our 2nd set of solar panels aren't. But, when your trailer is your own, and in its 15th year, you can choose your battles. A manufacturer can't, if they desire to keep rvia certification. 

For those that are worried about voiding their warranty,  I installed the ez-start in a way that it can be backed out with no evidence of install.  I just used extra wire with some spade quick connectors instead of cutting the wire from the control board to the compressor and one of the wires on the capacitor.

John

• Like 1

John and Kim

• 1 month later...
On 9/24/2020 at 2:27 PM, katanapilot said:

Thanks for the information and video. The other systems show some promise.

I’m really hoping that John provides sound level data that supports my desire to install the Air Command heat pump. Better cooling, quieter, lower amp draw plus it’s a heat pump as well. 

Greetings . . . . again.  I just completed my HOUGHTON 13.5K low profile install last weekend.  Having an issue with excessive "cycling".  I have my Oliver in my climate controlled shop, ambient temperature is 75 degrees, so the Oliver thinks the outside temperature is 75 degrees.  I set the thermostat to 60 degrees, it blows out super cool air, roughly 40 degree cold air.  The problem occurs when it runs for about 2 minutes, the compressor kicks off and it blows 55 degree air for 2-3 minutes, then the compressor kicks back in again.  The cycle is continued over and over.  I understand that the thermostat is located on or near the return air plenum, and most likely the cold air is bouncing off of the nearby walls/cabinets and "fooling" the A/C into thinking it's achieved 60 degrees.  The lowest I've been able to achieve is 66. degrees.  I've tried different angles on the vent louvers, straight down, off, sideways, etc. and nothing helps.  Houghton technical support is unavailable.  Have you had this same issues, if so were you able to resolve it?  My next step is to take off the ceiling grill/control panel and tape or insulated the thermostat (if I can find it) so it doesn't kick off the compressor prematurely.  What are your thoughts?

• 3 weeks later...

We just replaced our Dometic today with the Houghton 3400 and we are very pleased with it.  Exponentially quieter than the Dometic and the install, according to the tech that did it, was very straightforward.  I have not used a generator for shore power yet but I have run the AC off of the (Lithionics) batteries and did so with no issue. 

It was suggested to me to do the install without the micro air easy start so I did not have it installed.  I'll report back if I run into any issues but, as mentioned, it ran just fine today from battery power.  Tomorrow I will run it with my generator to see how that goes and also check it for water leaks by simulating some rain.

I just need to get the screw covers to fill the holes.  I also did not need the thick roof kit.

Ric Brady, I will post if I run into any cycling issues you have had.  I just came in from running it for 25 minutes and there was no excessively cycling.  Dropped the temp in the trailer from 83 degrees to 69 degrees in a reasonable amount of time.

I need to thank all of the people that installed this same AC brand on their Olivers and subsequently posted a ton of helpful info into this thread about their installation. 

RoofImage2.jpg

Plenum.JPG

• Thanks 1
  • Like 9

ALCTKYMENHNYNCPATNVTVAWVsm.jpg2021 Elite 2 Hull # 832 "Bucket List"

2021 F250 7.3L Gas / 4.30 AR