2021 Western Central US Rally: Please give your input ! :)

Lexi_Griffin

I don't own a Ollie yet, but very, very interested.  I would love to come see some Ollies and meet some of you great people.

Larkspur, CO (Jellystone)  is centrally located, with  great major highway access.  I have been to the  renaissance festival there.

Fort Stevens is also a beautiful place, with some great history around it.  

• Like 2

Early 1999 Ford F250 SD 7.3L Diesel 

2020 Elite II Twin -  Hull # 648

Hi Lexi, thank you to you & Oliver! As a quasi event planner in a previous life, I learned to capitalize on someone else's legwork. My suggestion is to find out where other RV groups hold their rallies & go from there. 

We're heading west next year & hope we can work this into our itinerary!!!

Chris

• Like 4
Chris & Duke Chadwell
🐾Maddie & Baxter🐾
Elite II Hull 292
2022 F-250 Lariat 7.3 Godzilla 4x4 Lakeland,FL

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not sure what direction the discussion regarding possible sites is going, but I might suggest something around Durango, CO.  There are a few RV parks that could accommodate 100 campers, although *just*; if there were 100 Ollies there, we'd fill the entire park.  Bayfield, Alpen Rose, United Campgrounds (sounds kinda sterile and corporate-ish), Blue Spruce, and the ever lovin' KOA all have 100+ sites.  I camped at Vallecita, a forest service campground, just north of Bayfield last year, and it is freaking gorgeous up there.  I know Jellystone Park at Larkspur was mentioned earlier.  Jellystone is right next to I-25, I mean *right* next to it, and a few of the most western campsites look right down a short slope onto the highway.  If that's where the rally is to be, I'll still go, but ... there are a lot prettier places.

Seven months until delivery of my Elite 1.  Waiting ... waiting ... waiting.

Mike / Wet Mtn Valley, CO / LE on order / Tundra SR5 5.7L 4x4 w/3" lift

There has been some, low key, talk about a New England Rally. Not once have I heard about anyone wanting a dining venue. A spot to gather and socialize , out of the rain, would be nice. Maybe a pot luck or a breakfast. No need for golf. But a great place to visit, like Acadia National Park within an hour drive? Someone to do a 'Clam Bake' with hot boiled lobster might be nice near by. Trouble is, in this part of the world most campgrounds are not that big. With the pent up demand to travel here, and some interstate travel restrictions, how many sites would be needed? Throw it open to all fiberglass campers might overwhelm a small place? Cabins for want to be owners? Questions? Questions? Questions???

• Moderators
17 hours ago, Mike260 said:

United Campgrounds

We spent one night there, three or four years ago. 

The staff was really nice. We didn't use any of the facilities,  so I can't comment on them. The campground itself was very clean and well maintained. I remember it being really windy, and giving up on using the awning.

The Silverton Durango RR goes thru the back of the park, but not obtrusive. It doesn't stop there. We took the hike up the hill to the trolley stop, and walked around Durango . It's a pretty town, quite walkable, with a few breweries,  restaurants,  etc. 

We enjoyed our day in Durango, and our time at the campground.

We chose a pull through, which showed a tree on the map. Unfortunately,  it had been severely trimmed, providing zero shade.

Molas Lake, a bit down the road, is flat beautiful,  but probably too small for anything but a mini rally.

Screenshot_20201117-095352_Gallery.jpg

Edited by SeaDawg

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

The highway is up above the red barn/office at United. So road noise wasn't an issue.

20201117_143949.jpg

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

Molas Lake. Not much for facilities, (vault toilets, no dump station, but there's a small camp store in season) but the views more than make up for it.

Screenshot_20201117-144541_Gallery.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Wow 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Swamp, is in (post July 19,2021delivery date) for any and everything.

Pat (Swamp) from Joliet IL,  2021 Oliver LE II Hull "848" (19K miles to date) , 2020 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi 3:92 rear end P75 Trans 

"Nowhere to be and all day to get there while looking for a place to happen. Making stops along the way"

Map2-22june.jpg