Remote campsite communications

• Moderators

We have small portable FRS walkie talkies that recieve NOAA weather broadcasts. That is good, but there are times when we might need to monitor police, fire, forest service, ambulance, airlife, TV network news, ect..

We have a scanner that picks up that stuff, but it was a table model and we all know how limited we are on table space. A couple of strips of the 3M adhesive velcro and it now looks like this:

th_100_0111.jpg

To replace the internal memory's backup battery, we just slide a butter knife between the velcro and it releases.

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth 08' Oliver Legacy Elite HULL NUMBER 0003(sold)

• Moderators

Nice looking installation, Larry. Did you use regular Velcro, or the industrial strength stuff?

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

Thanks Sherry, we used the industrial strength though the scanner is so light that regular strength may well have served the porpouse.

The first try wasn't succcessful however. I applied the velcro on a cool day and hung the scanner immediately. It came off quickly, and it was time to rethink how I was doing it.

Attempt #2 was a success and went as follows:

Cleaned both the scanner's back and the Oliver's wall with 91% alcohol.

Applied the velcro, rolling the surface to massage the adhesive side onto the contact surface.

Let both sides sit for twenty four hours before hanging the scanner on the wall. ( Lets the chemical process of adhesion complete. The warmer day was no doubt a factor in the adhesion process. )

After seeing that the scanner stayed on the wall for forty eight hours, I tried the same process on the rough textured surface inside of one of the cabinets. Same result. It worked well even though the 400 watt inverter was much heavier than the scanner.

I have another small inverter that I may hang somewhere in a handy place also.

• Like 1

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth 08' Oliver Legacy Elite HULL NUMBER 0003(sold)