The Elusive 2200w Generator

Ray and Susan Huff

Has anyone had any luck finding either a Honda or Yamaha 2200w inverter generator?  These days they seem to be in the same category as toilet paper and disinfecting wipes 😷

We have a Powerhorse 3000 inverter generator that we use it at home for emergency power outages.  We purchased it for use with our 5th-wheel, a few years back, but my husband wants something more portable and quieter to take along with our Oliver.  Our preference is the Yamaha.  It's a tiny bit louder than the Honda, but has a few features the Honda lacks - fuel gauge, 30 amp outlet, dual handles and a bit longer run time.

I've looked at several sources and all are out of stock with no estimate of when they might be available.  Any ideas???

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

• Moderators

Northern Tool stores in my area have the Honda in stock. Free shipping lower 48, I  think. You might try them. I don't think they have any stores in your area.

Costco.com still has the powered by Yamaha ai , 52db ar 1/4 load, with many of the Yamaha features. With Costco's great return policy, I wouldn't hesitate to give it a try, personally. 

Availability may go up after burricane season.

Sherry

Screenshot_20200919-140404_Chrome.jpg

Edited by SeaDawg
Add photo
  • Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

I just checked Amazon and they say the EU2200i is in stock as well as the newer model for $50 more.  And this site says they have it as well.

https://www.electricgeneratorsdirect.com/power/2000-3900-watt-portable-generators.html?sort_value=&displaynum=0&stores_id=&spec_options_id[1][]=Honda

Mossey

• Like 1

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

1 hour ago, SeaDawg said:

Northern Tool stores in my area have the Honda in stock. Free shipping lower 48, I  think. You might try them. I don't think they have any stores in your area.

Costco.com still has the powered by Yamaha ai , 52db ar 1/4 load, with many of the Yamaha features. With Costco's great return policy, I wouldn't hesitate to give it a try, personally. 

Availability may go up after burricane season.

Sherry

Screenshot_20200919-140404_Chrome.jpg

Just received a Northern Tool catalog yesterday, with $20 off $100 or more/free shipping.  However, when I look online, the Honda is unavailable for order online.  Will look at Costco online.  Thanks!

Ray and Susan Huff

9 minutes ago, mossemi said:

I just checked Amazon and they say the EU2200i is in stock as well as the newer model for $50 more.  And this site says they have it as well.

https://www.electricgeneratorsdirect.com/power/2000-3900-watt-portable-generators.html?sort_value=&displaynum=0&stores_id=&spec_options_id[1][]=Honda

Mossey

Thanks. 

Without a 30amp outlet, do you think there is room for a 20 to 30 amp adapter and the necessary (with the Progressive Industries onboard surge protector) neutral ground plug in the adjacent outlet?  And what does it mean "Neutral Floating" (labeled above the 120v outlets?

I think we will hold out for a bit, in hopes of the Yamaha becoming available.   I might be sorry! 

Ray and Susan Huff

More research on Honda 2200i vs Yamaha 2200i:

Honda is a lot quieter across all loads than the Yamaha, but the Yamaha is reported to be quieter at lesser load.  Overall size, the Honda is smaller and lighter.

Another feature I forgot to mention is that the Yamaha has a lighted control panel and it appears to have covered outlets.

Other differences: engine size:  Honda 121cc vs Yamaha 79cc.  Can anyone comment on this?  Seems like a big difference for similar output.  

I've yet to compare the Costco equivalent to these.

Ray and Susan Huff

I received my 2 Hondas last week within 4 days of my order from Northern Tool.  The had both the 2200 and the 2200 Bluetooth models which are just out.  I ran the Campanion with my Ollie hooked up to the 30 Amp plug in.  Using my Bluetooth function the soft start pulled right at 1000 watts starting and then settled down to around 600 or so.  (Didn't write it down ).  Once the compressor cut off it drew around 300 - 400.   The newer model has a magnetic flap that covers the outlets and the fuses have a clue rubber cover now for protection.. There is a UTube video that shows the guy unscrewing the front cover and disconnecting the CO safety device to see if it would still crank if the device failed while out camping.  Yes it would crank.  Of course this is not advisable but sampling testing to see if the CO would prevent a start.  I hope to get my parallel kit in the next day or so and will try that out.  Really pleased with the running of the Honda!     Also the oil dipstick cap is much larger which benefits adding oil.

The Yamaha was also tempting as was the Honda Handi 3000.   My final determining factor was weight.  I can handle lifting 2 Hondas 2200 but the 75+ pound on some other models was just too much with. a bad back.  There are a lot of great models and really you probably could choose several.  But after the one failure with the Sam's I just went with Honda.  Not sure if grounding was an issue with the A1 from Sams but I was working with Jason on the phone as we tried different things and it was apparent the load rating was not accurate with the actual generator I had purchased.

Edited by gatorewc
  • Like 1

Erv & Sherry  Hull # 650

2022  Platinum SD 250 Tremor. 7.3 Godzilla

ALARFLGAILKYMSMONENCSCSDTNWVmed.jpg

On 9/21/2020 at 10:42 PM, 2008RN said:

Susan,

It was a couple of months ago, but I believe I saw them on the shelf at Coastal in Eugene. Maybe call all of the Coastal in Oregon.

Thanks,

Bob

Yamaha?  Thanks!  I'll check with Coastal in Roseburg.

I really do want to hold out for the Yamaha, since it has some features the Honda does not (unless this has changed), specifically fuel gauge and 30amp RV outlet.

Ray and Susan Huff

Given all the options, and reviews, I must admit - for the prices and very similar comparison, the Harbor Freight would be worth a go. 

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

• Moderators
7 hours ago, BackofBeyond said:

Given all the options, and reviews, I must admit - for the prices and very similar comparison, the Harbor Freight would be worth a go. 

Tractor Supply sells a nice little Champion 2K that weighs 37lbs and is very quiet.  $399, we got one for $349 on sale.  It’s been very reliable.

• Like 2

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

On 9/23/2020 at 9:12 AM, Susan Huff said:

Yamaha?  Thanks!  I'll check with Coastal in Roseburg.

I really do want to hold out for the Yamaha, since it has some features the Honda does not (unless this has changed), specifically fuel gauge and 30amp RV outlet.

Susan,

Sorry, I didn't define what I saw. It was the Honda 2200i.  After I posted this I then remember all the power that was turned off during the start of the fires. What ever these stores had are probably gone.

Early 1999 Ford F250 SD 7.3L Diesel 

2020 Elite II Twin -  Hull # 648

3 hours ago, 2008RN said:

Susan,

Sorry, I didn't define what I saw. It was the Honda 2200i.  After I posted this I then remember all the power that was turned off during the start of the fires. What ever these stores had are probably gone.

I realized, when I looked at Coastal online that you must have seen Hondas.  It still puzzles me why there are many Hondas available, but no Yamahas.  I was looking before the fires, so it's got to be something else.

Maybe it's that Yamahas are blue.  Honda's are a prime target for "borrowers"; maybe people think blue will fly under the radar?   I'm sure the Honda would be just fine, but I would like to have the convenience of the 30 amp plug and still have two 20amp outlets available.  Also the Yamaha has a fuel gauge, longer run time, and a reset button so you don't have to restart the engine if the generator circuit breaker trips.  The Honda is a bit quieter, though.  

If someone knows why the shortage of one and not the other, please let us know.  In the meantime, I'm holding out for a Yamaha.

Ray and Susan Huff

On 9/27/2020 at 6:31 AM, xmavrick said:

I found this on line, Yamaha is in stock you may want to check it out. https://www.panthereast.com

Hey, thanks for the info.  The last time I checked that site, they were out of stock.  

Appreciate the head's up!

Ray and Susan Huff

On 9/27/2020 at 6:31 AM, xmavrick said:

I found this on line, Yamaha is in stock you may want to check it out. https://www.panthereast.com

1 hour ago, Susan Huff said:

Hey, thanks for the info.  The last time I checked that site, they were out of stock.  

Appreciate the head's up!

Maybe I'm a bit skeptical, but I'm wondering why this vendor has Yamaha 2200i generators in stock while no one else does.  Has anyone done business with Panthereast.com?

Ray and Susan Huff

The dual fuel, inverter champion we got from Costco is quieter than all the Honda/Yamaha inverters I've run into at campgrounds.  I know you've been mostly looking at those, but I see quiet brought up a lot in your post so I thought I'd mention it.  It's a little bigger than the 2200 series you are looking at, but it also can power the air conditioner at Gros Ventre (6000-7000') without a problem and no voided warranty to be able to run propane. It's not showing in stock now, but it pops in and out of stock as they get shipments. 

https://www.championpowerequipment.com/product/100204-3100-watt-dual-fuel-inverter/

Here is the super-secret link to Costco, it will show you a bear if it's out of stock: https://www.costco.com/Champion-DUAL-FUEL-2800wt-Running--3100wt-Peak-Digital-Inverter-Generator%2c-Electric-Start%2c-RV-Ready%2c-Parallel-Capable%2c-CARB-%2526-EPA-Certified%2c-Low-Decibels.product.100284958.html?bvstate=pg:2/ct:r

Champion has been super-responsive to emails, and sent me the high altitude jet for free in case we need to run gas at elevation. If Champion stops being super, then it goes back to Costco. For us, the generator is pretty low-risk as we only need it for AC or brief periods to run the microwave or convection oven - we are 12VDC only when boondocking otherwise and the solar keeps up so long as we aren't running our laptops hard on a cloudy day.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

Between Olivers…

On 9/29/2020 at 10:11 PM, WhatDa said:

Rats, I got a bear.  I don't need a generator, but knowing I can't have one makes me want it.

• Like 1

On 9/29/2020 at 11:11 PM, WhatDa said:

The dual fuel, inverter champion we got from Costco is quieter than all the Honda/Yamaha inverters I've run into at campgrounds.  I know you've been mostly looking at those, but I see quiet brought up a lot in your post so I thought I'd mention it.  It's a little bigger than the 2200 series you are looking at, but it also can power the air conditioner at Gros Ventre (6000-7000') without a problem and no voided warranty to be able to run propane. It's not showing in stock now, but it pops in and out of stock as they get shipments. 

https://www.championpowerequipment.com/product/100204-3100-watt-dual-fuel-inverter/

Here is the super-secret link to Costco, it will show you a bear if it's out of stock: https://www.costco.com/Champion-DUAL-FUEL-2800wt-Running--3100wt-Peak-Digital-Inverter-Generator%2c-Electric-Start%2c-RV-Ready%2c-Parallel-Capable%2c-CARB-%2526-EPA-Certified%2c-Low-Decibels.product.100284958.html?bvstate=pg:2/ct:r

Champion has been super-responsive to emails, and sent me the high altitude jet for free in case we need to run gas at elevation. If Champion stops being super, then it goes back to Costco. For us, the generator is pretty low-risk as we only need it for AC or brief periods to run the microwave or convection oven - we are 12VDC only when boondocking otherwise and the solar keeps up so long as we aren't running our laptops hard on a cloudy day.

7 hours ago, Overland said:

Rats, I got a bear.  I don't need a generator, but knowing I can't have one makes me want it.

I’ve had my champion duel fuel for over 5 years gone through two hurricanes 24/7 operation  7 and 10 days operating full bore with the ac on Florida weather. No problems 🤞

• Like 1

Grant  2022 GMC Denali 2500 HD 2019  Elite 11😎