Hello from the Wet Mtn Valley

Mike260

Greetings all!

While not an Ollie owner yet, they have my deposit, and I expect to have a Legacy Elite next June.  All I have to do now is nail  down the options I think I want; get the Truma or go with the standard 6 gal heater?  And what decor package?  Decisions, decisions.  I'd also like a custom logo on the front ... all I have to do is design one!  HA HA.  I have a Casita at the moment, which I bought so I wouldn't have to sleep in a mountaineering tent any more, but it will be going to another good  home soon.  My experience with these trailers is nil next to some of yours, but I lurk a lot and will hopefully learn something ... you know what they say about old dogs and new tricks.  My early goal was primarily boondocking, and I still intend to do mostly that, but an occasional campground with full hook-ups and a shower wouldn't be entirely awful.  I read about the potential western rally next year and I'm in!  I would really enjoy meeting you all and soaking in some of the knowledge and ideas you've used in your Oliver travels.  

Thanks to all who contribute their knowledge of, and experience with, Olivers.  I know I'll learn a lot and maybe one day I'll be able to make a positive contribution. 

Mike Allen

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

Mike / Wet Mtn Valley, CO / LE on order / Tundra SR5 5.7L 4x4 w/3" lift

• Moderators

Mike - 

Welcome to the family (almost).  I feel your pain regarding all of the choices one has to make and trying to sort through the positives and negatives of all the options.  As you most likely already know - there is no "stock answer" to these questions.

We're so happy that you have found us and (like us) appreciate the quality and versatility of the Oliver.  Look forward to meeting you either on the road or at one of the Oliver Rallies.

Bill 

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Mike -

The Wet Mtn Valley is south central Colorado.  If you've ever been to the Great Sand Dunes NP, the valley is just over the Sangre de Cristo mountains that form the eastern boundary of the dunes.  The major town in the valley, if you call ~800 permanent residents "major", is Westcliffe, and I live a few miles outside of town. 

This is the view from my deck.  The sand dunes are on the other side of those mountains, kinda to the left.

If you ever make it up this way, please let me know.  Hope we'll cross paths in the coming year.

Mike

DSC04164.JPG

• Like 2

• Moderators

Mike - 

Even though that appears to be a bit chilly, it is gorgeous!  I'd bet that this is where the deer and antelope play too.  An Oliver would look fantastic here and look at all that room to roam.

Bill 

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators
9 hours ago, Mike260 said:

Mike -

The Wet Mtn Valley is south central Colorado.  If you've ever been to the Great Sand Dunes NP, the valley is just over the Sangre de Cristo mountains that form the eastern boundary of the dunes.  The major town in the valley, if you call ~800 permanent residents "major", is Westcliffe, and I live a few miles outside of town. 

This is the view from my deck.  The sand dunes are on the other side of those mountains, kinda to the left.

If you ever make it up this way, please let me know.  Hope we'll cross paths in the coming year.

Mike

DSC04164.JPG

Our son and his family live in Durango, so we are pretty familiar with the area.  We’ve camped at Great Sand Dunes NP (and all of the other NP’s in Colorado).  We travel to Durango frequently, so maybe we’ll have a chance to cross paths.  Mike

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

Welcome Mike, we have a place on the floor of the Wet Mountain Valley (Colfax Lane).  It looks like you are in the Wet Mountains looking towards the Sangre de Cristo. The picture is of Humbolt Mt. (14,000+ feet) from our picture window. I am sure we will run into each other at ACE hardware some day.

5BF2E976-9A5A-4A07-8C26-B0322C3C6679.jpeg

I thought there HAS to be an Ollie owner or two in CO ... I just never guessed one was just 10 miles from me!  We'll undoubtedly run into each other, either at Ace of the market.

I'm going to be back in OH most of the next 2 weeks and am planning a side trip to Hohenwald.  I'm looking forward to that.