2020 Chevy Silverado HD 2500 Trailer ap doesn't know the Ollie is connected

ThomB87

I have a new 2020 Chevy HD 2500 Silverado with one of those fancy computer trailering aps. From day one it kept telling me that the reverse lights and turn signals didn't work when they do. Today it didn't even recognize the trailer was connected. But the  brake controller light was on and the brakes and lights all worked. It would be a minor annoyance but we also had a $300 TPMS added. Since the thing didn't know the trailer was there, it will not give a read out on tire pressure and temp.  Went I asked Chevy dealer about all the error messages before, they blamed the trailer and said the lights weren't giving enough resistance. Vent: if you are going to provide a modern state of the art system to a tow vehicle would you not make sure it was compatible with a modern state of the art trailer! 

Saw a tread about a adapter for european vehicles. Would that work with a Chevy? 

Any other new Chevy or GMC owner encounter this? 

Any other thoughts on a solution?

Thanks 

Bill Thomas 2019 Elite II Hull # 534

2020 Chevrolet Silverado HD 2500

There was a similar issue with F150s a few years ago.  I haven't seen anyone post about it lately, so it could be that Ford has found a solution, or maybe they just passed the problem along to GM.  I don't think it's an Oliver problem so much as an LED light problem that the manufacturers haven't all come to terms with.  

Here's a long discussion about the issue and maybe you can spot a solution in that thread that will work for you as well - 

1 hour ago, ThomB87 said:

they blamed the trailer and said the lights weren't giving enough resistance.

I had the same problem with my European Audi, and I found an adaptor that solved the problem. 

1 hour ago, ThomB87 said:

Saw a tread about a adapter for european vehicles. Would that work with a Chevy? 

You may have sent the thread listed below. It appears that the same adaptors solved the problems for Ford F-150, so probably would for a Chevy.  

David Stillman, Salt Lake City, Utah

2016 Oliver Elite II  Hull 164    |    2017 Audi Q7 tow vehicle. 

Travel and Photography Blog: http://davidstravels.net

2 hours ago, ThomB87 said:

Vent: if you are going to provide a modern state of the art system to a tow vehicle would you not make sure it was compatible with a modern state of the art trailer! 

And GM thinks they're going to be a serious player in the high tech electric vehicle market? Does GM have a "Chevy Cares" hot line like Jeeps? If so, ask them your question.  This issue was widely resolved by most manufactures almost 10 years ago. The European fakery adapter may get around your problem but  this is a GM shortcoming.

The 2020 2500 HD Chevys have more tow features.  On my 2017 Chevy HD I had some trailer connection problems. The display was showing no brake controller connections, service trailer brakes. Or no connection at all. It was a simple fix. Dielectric Grease on the trailer plug  And the problem  was solved solved for me, 

F4B7D12F-9724-4705-B754-F22A373CFD8F.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Grant  2022 GMC Denali 2500 HD 2019  Elite 11😎

2018 GMC 2500. Works perfectly with the Oliver. Many others have similar experience, Perhaps there is another issue, rather than the  TRUCK. 

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

I'm glad we have an "older" pickup - 2013 F-350 SD.  It is equipped with a tow options - built-in brake controller, hill assist, HD alternator, power telescoping mirrors,  and backup beeper (no camera).  The beeper is automatically deactivated when a trailer is attached to the 7-pin connection.  Aside from the onboard computer with steering wheel controls, there are few tech components, aside from the Ford Sync connection, which we don't use; There is no LCD display on the dash.  

It's nice to still have a little bit of control over your vehicle 😁

• Like 1

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

Thanks everyone for the input. The Tow Ready is on order. Seems like a quick cheap fix if it works. I already use the dielectric grease as a brake light short preventive. And thanks for the encouragement I may take another run at GM going around the dealer. Oliver is not the only trailer manufacturer who has gone to LED lights. I can't be the only owner complaining. 

Bill Thomas 2019 Elite II Hull # 534

2020 Chevrolet Silverado HD 2500

• Moderators

I've used the Towready for five years now without a single issue.  However, I would recommend that you use something to help hold where it plugs into your TV and your trailer plug together.  I simply use a strip of Velcro wrapped around each of these connections to secure them.

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

12 hours ago, ThomB87 said:

Oliver is not the only trailer manufacturer who has gone to LED lights. I can't be the only owner complaining. 

Since your symptoms have changed, per your description at least, there is always the possibility of an isolated system malfunction with your truck. Since the issue with LED lights is so old and widely known, your dealer may have just jumped on this as their easiest  excuse. The adapter results should be all telling and provide further ammunition, one way or the other.

• Thanks 1

We also have a 2020 Silverado 2500HD and sometimes experience the same indicator readout BUT it’s not consistent.  Sometimes the readout shows no problem, recognizes the Ollie, etc., and other times the readout indicates a problem. So far, the signals, trailer brakes, Ollie recognition, etc, work fine, regardless of the readout. 

• Wow 1