Safety tow chains

Bobc

Our 2019 Elite came with the heavy cables with hooks instead of the traditional safety tow chains. We would like to replace the cables with chains. Can someone tell use how long each chain should be?

thank you

BobC

2019 Elite I Hull 431

Do the cables have some sort of covering or are they bare metal?  If covered, this may be the new standard.  Many roadside fires have started as a result of metal safety chains dragging, causing sparks.  You should first check motor vehicles regulations for clarification.

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

The cables are covered, I have grown to like mine - certainly not worth the effort to change them out  - in my world.  A few folks have done the replacement - perhaps they will comment. 

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

2 hours ago, Bobc said:

We would like to replace the cables with chains. Can someone tell use how long each chain should be?

It depends on where you plan to connect them to the frame. They should form an X when hooked to the receiver, to catch the coupler if it disconnects. The factory location does not allow for this. If you drill new holes about a foot back at the bottom of each frame rail, that should be fine.

Decide where they will attach, measure across diagonally to the receiver hole, and add another foot of length for each one, to allow them to droop under the Andersen plate, if you have one. Trim the chain length as needed to get rid of any excess after you have tow tested the mod. You can support the chains with a short bungee cord, as I do with the Andersen chains when not in use.

I have cables, and while I originally thought they were a downgrade, I have come to like them a lot. They seem to be secure enough, are neat and tidy, and they coil themselves back and out of the way when disconnected. Plus they are WAY lighter. I plan to keep mine.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

I have an F150 with a connection point way under the bumper. 
While the coiled cable chains worked well, I wanted to change to make it a bit easier to connect.
I've added the following chains, along with a woven cover.

2x - CURT 80302 35-Inch Trailer Safety Chain with 1/4-In Clevis Snap Hook, 7,800 lbs Break Strength

1746268217_newchains.thumb.jpg.48f25490edda72e2f40b5b73501275e7.jpg

I saved my previous cable chains in my backup box.

1469453911_ScreenShot2020-09-23at12_33_14PM.thumb.png.521bdd9a7f736fed1e78091b3045202a.png

• Like 1

2019 Elite II (Hull 505 - Galway Girl - August 7, 2019 Delivery) 
Tow Vehicle: 2021 F350 King Ranch, FX4, MaxTow Package, 10 Speed, 3.55 Rear Axle
Batteries Upgrade: Dual 315GTX Lithionics Lithiums - 630AH Total
Inverter/Charger: Xantrex 2000Pro 

Travel BLOG:  https://4-ever-hitched.com

IMG_5421.jpeg.c1f697a00240a9bd6729b0930bd3a4aa.jpeg

Cables were an initial concern. Not anymore. Pull them out and snap on, done. Disconnect and throw over tongue, done. Never drag, stretch in tight turns as needed and then retract. Trouble free. We like to "fine tune" things, but never found a need with the cables.

• Like 1