Garmin GPS Recommendations?

Ray and Susan Huff

Passing the wait time for our new Oliver shopping for a Garmin GPS.  There are so many models, I'm confused.  I found reference here for the  61LMT @Trainman and RV660LMT @John E Davies.  Any other Garmin users care to share your experiences?

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

14 minutes ago, Mainiac said:

Make sure whatever you get lists any overpass that is 10' or less. Oliver's have a tendency to travel back roads and places with low trees and bridges.

I wonder if it's necessary to get the RV or truck version to have that function?

Ray and Susan Huff

I have the RV660LMT and really like it. It is a slightly older model, and a larger screen would be welcome. The RV mode is needed to warn you of low bridges, steep grades, etc and it is SUPER ANNOYING. I turned it off the second day of our first trip. It kept popping up constant alerts that I already knew about “curves ahead!!!”, duh, I have been driving on curves for an hour. “Steep grade ahead!!!” True, but many miles away. The RV database is clunky, the icons are big and block details. In general I think it is simply poor programming.

For low clearance, use the eyeballs you were born with, anything posted 12 feet or under, stop and double check before proceeding. I have a height placard hanging down to remind me as I drive.

21B68893-3A3B-4DE9-A5E3-D91EE94BE967.thumb.jpeg.b06b181d765d7774e12bc1cb838a5d47.jpeg

You can add additional map layers to this series Garmin. I have 24K topo maps which I can add to the existing road map when out in the boonies. Instead of a single line against a totally blank background, I get elevation contours and other features. The big plus is that the Topo maps are routable.

You can add up to four low res camera inputs to the main display, I use one for my trailer backup camera. 

The Garmin Connect phone app is pretty lame, I never use it. 

I am a big Garmin fan, for the most part. I won’t buy another brand. The only thing I dislike about mine, other than RV Mode, is the external flash card sticks out the bottom, no recess or guard, and it is easy to accidentally press and eject it. 

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

I see Garmin now has Drive Smart 65 which is bluetooth compatible.  Can this be paired to the vehicle system to send the voice directions through the dash speakers?  My husband has a hard time hearing.

Ray and Susan Huff

Those with Garmin drivesmart (61 or 65):

1. How does the unit plug into vehicle power - USB or 12v socket?  (I'm new to these devices) and how does it charge?

We want to use a beanbag type mount, but there are so many, it's confusing.  I don't think all will work with the 6.95" display.  Which one do I need?  Or, is there a better type of mount?  Our pickup dash has a flat recessed top where this would work well.

Edited by Susan Huff

Ray and Susan Huff

• Moderators

Susan - 

Research, research, research!

What's good for me is not necessarily good for you and GPS units are no exception.

Garmin's new 8 inch screen and the model 890 is getting good reviews.  Garmin's website used to have a matrix that compared their various models and features.

Several years ago I upgraded to a NUVI 2797LM that has a large 7 inch (diagonal) screen and have liked it very much.  But, I usually travel alone which makes the large screen much easier to see and interact with while driving down the road.

Good luck on your search.

Bill

p.s.  I have a bean bag mount 

https://www.amazon.com/Bestand-Dashboard-Portable-Friction-Garmin/dp/B01N6KWHSC/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=A2F2DL4BGFDE&dchild=1&keywords=garmin+bean+bag+dash+mount&qid=1601297711&sprefix=garmin+bean%2Caps%2C169&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzN09LQTRFSlhGWU5BJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNTQ1MDE3MUg3REo0U0Q0R0JYWSZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNjQxMzgyMlBBTktOVERUTERYOSZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

that works great and is very stable.  Of course there are also vent mounts, magnetic mounts, suction cup mounts and (if you have a CD slot in the dash of your truck) a CD slot mount.  Before we sold our Volvo XC70 last year, this CD mount was my favorite in that it got the Garmin off the top of the dash but was still high enough to be able to see the Garmin easily.

Edited by topgun2
  • Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

3 hours ago, topgun2 said:

Susan - 

Research, research, research!

What's good for me is not necessarily good for you and GPS units are no exception.

Garmin's new 8 inch screen and the model 890 is getting good reviews.  Garmin's website used to have a matrix that compared their various models and features.

Several years ago I upgraded to a NUVI 2797LM that has a large 7 inch (diagonal) screen and have liked it very much.  But, I usually travel alone which makes the large screen much easier to see and interact with while driving down the road.

Good luck on your search.

Bill

p.s.  I have a bean bag mount 

https://www.amazon.com/Bestand-Dashboard-Portable-Friction-Garmin/dp/B01N6KWHSC/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=A2F2DL4BGFDE&dchild=1&keywords=garmin+bean+bag+dash+mount&qid=1601297711&sprefix=garmin+bean%2Caps%2C169&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzN09LQTRFSlhGWU5BJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNTQ1MDE3MUg3REo0U0Q0R0JYWSZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNjQxMzgyMlBBTktOVERUTERYOSZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

that works great and is very stable.  Of course there are also vent mounts, magnetic mounts, suction cup mounts and (if you have a CD slot in the dash of your truck) a CD slot mount.  Before we sold our Volvo XC70 last year, this CD mount was my favorite in that it got the Garmin off the top of the dash but was still high enough to be able to see the Garmin easily.

Thanks!  Good info.  Hmmmmm , , , , , I like the sound of the CD mount . . . . . we don't use the CD player in our PU. . . . . . will check it out.

What size screen are you using with the above mount?  Do you use it on the dash?  If so, can you see the screen well, with sunlight?

So now there is an 8" option . . . . . great . . . . . another decision!

Edited by Susan Huff
  • Like 1

Ray and Susan Huff

19 minutes ago, topgun2 said:

7 inch (diagonal) screen - I would never go back to a 5 inch screen.

Yes, mine is on the dash of my F-150.

No issues with sunlight.

Bill

It seems the mounting options are limited with the 8" screen.

• Like 1

Ray and Susan Huff

• 1 year later...

We have the Garmin 890 and like it a lot after using it this past year. I like that you can program in the dimensions of the TV and the Ollie and it will not take you on roads that have  low overpasses. It also has a lot of CG listed on its app and gives information about each CG. 

The 890 can be updated to the latest software versions.

• Like 1

2018 Oliver Elite II, Twin Bed, Hull #354 

2024 RAM 1500, 4 x 4; Gas. 5.7L V8 Hemi MDS VVT Torque; 3.21 rear axle ratio

Maine 

• Moderators
On 9/28/2020 at 1:46 PM, Ray and Susan Huff said:

It seems the mounting options are limited with the 8" screen.

There are a number of mounting option for this 890 Garmin.  Try doing a search for the 890 here and a whole series of mounts using RAM mounts and a "Builtright" shelf should show up.

Bill

• Like 2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Not what you're asking for, but I pondered a dedicated GPS but decided to go with the TomTom Go app on my large screened smartphone instead. Yeah, it doesn't have the low clearance warnings and such, but see John's comment (and I've seen other comments on line by folks saying that these Garmin RV devices also miss some overpasses to the point where these folks have just gone ahead and bought a trucker's atlas (print) anyway. The TomTom Go app lets me download the maps for the entire continent onto my phone, and has good UI/features at least for my uses. It's not as crafty as Waze for navigating sneaky routes around traffic in many urban areas near home, but is great for road trips. (OTOH, the Garmin routable topo map layers sound pretty nice, and I do not get this feature in the TomTom Go app; Gaia is only a partial substitute since it does not have the turn-by-turn directions type routing).

• Like 1

Jim and  Yanna, Woodinville WA

2004 Ford E250 camper conversion

Oliver Elite II hull #709

As topgun2 said there are many mounting options. My bride aka “navigator” likes being able to remove the 890 on the fly and type in directions while holding the 890 in her lap. The magnet works great quickly allowing her to place it back on the dash mount. We used the 890 all last summer visiting 16 states and 22 CGs. The location of our 890 does not obstruct my view will driving our factory lifted F350 has a tall stance, so no issues. Thank you Bill for recommending this gps! The RV890 is a game changer! 😊

C0964F4F-D742-40B7-93B7-BD52760E6C7A.thumb.jpeg.163828c2f0f310c893c48afb7dc17ecb.jpeg

This large magnet mount works great. It allows us to store the unit in our console vault when ever we exit the vehicle for an extended period of time. 
F79CC836-DBE8-4BE1-A6BB-554B7E50E89A.thumb.jpeg.29c5af2a8e3749b7f62ce04dcdc70c05.jpeg

• Like 3

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

• Moderators

Note the "Builtright" shelf in Patriot's pictures above as can be seen right below the 890 GPS and its magnetic mount.

In my case with a non-lifted F150 I attached a RAM mount to the shelf and brought the 890 closer to the driver's position also without obscuring any of the view out the windshield nor any of the controls or view of anything on the dash.

Bill

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Garmin GPS Recommendations?

We have an RV890. It has at times been a point of intense discussion and frustrations between navigator and driver… that we changed to iPhones & iMaps and utilized CarPlay in the RAM for a good part of our May-Oct 16,000-mi adventure after the 2022 Rally.  We switched back to the 890 the further north we ventured into Canada.

Does anyone have issues with the speed that the 890 refreshes as you are traveling "At or Lower” than safe/posted speed limits?  Sometimes our truck-trailer icon would lag behind, so when the 890 (aka Karen) tells us to turn right/left at the next intersection, I am already thru the intersection, having one of those Navigator/Driver discussions.

From what I am seeing when it is active here in our home, the RV 890 will only connect to the iNet/Web at 2.4GHz even if a 5GHz connection is available.  The Garmin 890 manual appears ("Wireless frequency 2.4 GHz @ 14 dBm) to state.

Has anyone had a similar experience or issue? 

I suspect that it was Garmin's attempt so the unit would always work in either 2.4 & 5GHz environments.  

B-Out

Maggie & Bryan | Arnegard, ND | 2020 LE II "Twins" Hull #665 | 2021 RAM 2500  6.4L HEMI Gasser  4dr  6.5' bed

ABBCMBNBNTNSONPEQCSKYTALARCTDEFLGAILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMONENHNJNYNCNDOHOKPARISCSDTNTXVTVAWVWIxlg.jpg.d41b39fcf844ad1935d35acdc8a6c203.jpg

• Moderators

We’re trying to get used to the RV890.  I use it in conjunction with my Apple or Google maps on the CarPlay display on the dash.  It is slower and sometimes wants to take us on a route we don’t want.  It has some nice features which I’m finding of more use than the navigation.  I still rely mostly on my iPhone apps, either Apple Maps or Google maps, sometimes Waze.  Carol monitors the 890.  Mike

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• Moderators

My Garmin 890 is better in all respects as compared to any other GPS unit I've owned.  This includes the GPS navigation system in my Ford F-150.

Having said this - none of these units (in my experience) are perfect.  Speed limit signs/zones are delayed or missed, wrong turns and/or directions are given and these units can be a bit slow when it seems that they are needed the most - heavy traffic and congested areas.  School zones are missed, etc..

It really does help to:  have a navigator who really knows how to use these devices.  Knows or at least has a general idea of where you are going and the general direction you should be taking to get there.  Has a "sense of direction" and can read a map - both digital and paper.

These devices are "aids" but do not replace my responsibility for knowing where I'm going and what the conditions are in getting there.  I can only wonder what that State Trooper would say when I'd tell them that my Garmin told me it was "x" speed limit when in reality the speed limit was "y"?

Perhaps there is something wrong with your specific unit.  Mine always connects to my 5G here at home.

Bill

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, topgun2 said:

My Garmin 890 is better in all respects as compared to any other GPS unit I've owned.  This includes the GPS navigation system in my Ford F-150.

Having said this - none of these units (in my experience) are perfect.  Speed limit signs/zones are delayed or missed, wrong turns and/or directions are given and these units can be a bit slow when it seems that they are needed the most - heavy traffic and congested areas.  School zones are missed, etc..

It really does help to:  have a navigator who really knows how to use these devices.  Knows or at least has a general idea of where you are going and the general direction you should be taking to get there.  Has a "sense of direction" and can read a map - both digital and paper.

These devices are "aids" but do not replace my responsibility for knowing where I'm going and what the conditions are in getting there.  I can only wonder what that State Trooper would say when I'd tell them that my Garmin told me it was "x" speed limit when in reality the speed limit was "y"?

Perhaps there is something wrong with your specific unit.  Mine always connects to my 5G here at home.

Bill

I agree with the above comments.  We try to review our route the night before we travel, the GPS is an AID and the ultimate responsibility is on the Driver then Navigator.  We used the iPhone/Apple Maps/Car Play/UConnect when in populated areas, and the RV890 when out in remote areas.  The RV890 feature of Campgrounds & Attractions helps us find a location that may be a bit more difficult to find with Apple Maps.  I will look into WAZE.

Bill - Does your 890 automatically connect at 5G, right now I am not seeing any "setup" option where I could make a choice for that.  i will reach out to Garmin on this.  

B~Out

Maggie & Bryan | Arnegard, ND | 2020 LE II "Twins" Hull #665 | 2021 RAM 2500  6.4L HEMI Gasser  4dr  6.5' bed

ABBCMBNBNTNSONPEQCSKYTALARCTDEFLGAILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMONENHNJNYNCNDOHOKPARISCSDTNTXVTVAWVWIxlg.jpg.d41b39fcf844ad1935d35acdc8a6c203.jpg

• Moderators

Yes, it automatically connects to 5G but even though my router has both the slower and the faster networks, I only saved the faster (5G) to the Garmin.  Therefore, the Garmin has no choice.

Of course I could add another network (i.e. the slower one) but since I've had no issues I'll leave sleeping dogs lie.

Bill

p.s.  perhaps you might try deleting and then reconnecting your networks to see if that helps? 

• Moderators

Time - out!

I just rechecked my Garmin and it actually does not specifically tell me which of the two networks I'm connected to.

More research is needed to make sure it is actually the 5G.

I'll be back!

Bill

• Moderators

That was quick - 

I simply Googled the question and here is the response:

Wi-Fi capable Garmin devices support 2.4 GHz frequencies and cannot connect to a 5 GHz Wi-Fi network. For more details on Wi-Fi network compatibility and ...

Sorry about that - I (obviously) simply assumed that 5 G was it.

Bill

On 9/21/2022 at 4:31 PM, Patriot said:

The magnet works great quickly allowing her to place it back on the dash mount.

@Patriot I like your setup, I have seen several use this BuiltRite plate. Two quick questions, is your 890 mount bolted to the rack?  If it is, I assume you attached it during installation. Second question, did you purchase the backing plate for the dash rack?  They say most people do not need it but I am curious to see how many people actually get it or what the performance is without it. 

Thanks in advance for the info. 

Brian

Here are my thoughts on that.  

Garmin chose the lower transfer rate so that it would be compatible with more networks.  If you are running at 5g, and you enter an area that has only 2.4g coverage, it would probably not work.  so it is throttled down to 2.4g just to get a connection in more areas.

that said, in the setup give "the owner of the device" a choice, "to set a Default to 2.4g if 5g network is not available".

here is what i found similar to what you found.    https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=NSX1SiyVkJ32XiopghB9g8

bummer - the 890 is not among the devices capable of connecting to a 5g network.

i guess i do not need to call Garmin and ask, as they have already answered with the above.

B~Out

• Like 1

• Moderators

While we are on the subject - 

Note that there are currently both software and map updates available for the 890.

There are also map updates available for most (if not all) other Garmin GPS units (like the 2797)

Bill