Garmin GPS Recommendations?

Ray and Susan Huff

• Moderators

B & B - 

Note that Patriot is presently on the road, so it might be a couple of days before he can get back to you.

The BuiltRight platform for the Ford's is great.  On my F-150 I did not use the backing plate (and I do not think that Patriot did either) and have had zero issues with vibration.  I'm not sure if Patriot has his 890 mount connected directly to the BuiltRight or not (I think he does), but, I connected a 6 inch RAM arm to my 890 and then to a RAM ball mount on the BuiltRight.  No vibration with this set-up.

Also note that I removed the rubber tray liner in the area where the BuiltRight is installed.  This way, in the event I replace the BuiltRight and/or sell the F-150 I can simply remove the BuiltRight from the tray and replace the rubber mat thus covering the holes.

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• 4 months later...
  • Moderators

A bit of an update for the Builtright platform.

Last month I took delivery of my new 2023 Ford F-150.  This truck has a 12 inch info screen versus the eight inch screen that was on my 2017.

I knew that the "tray" in the top of the dash of the Ford would be larger (due to the screen size) in the new truck, so, I removed and sold the old Builtright platform (easily done here on the Forum) and bought a new one, way back before Christmas.

The installation of the new platform is very similar to that of the old one given that Ford continues to use the same type of plastic clips to hold just about everything together.  Unfortunately though, in the area directly above the massive screen where the dash tray meets/joins the trim at the top of the screen, there is very little securing these two pieces together.  Thus, with the weight of the platform plus a Garmin 890 hanging off of it, I felt that there was too much flex in the plastic that would eventually cause fatigue in that plastic and there was a bit too much vibration in the 890.

So, I contacted Builtright and even though they do not normally sell the support bracket for the platform separately, the president of Builtright made an exception and put one in the mail to me - great customer service.  Since this support bracket actually bolts to the metal subframe under the dash, there will be no flexing and/or vibration through the platform.

I'll post some pictures after I receive the support bracket and do the re-install.  But, if anyone is considering the purchase of this product for a Ford that has the 12 inch screen then I'd highly recommend that they get what Builtright calls the "PRO" model since this includes the support plate along with the platform.

Bill 

• Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

9 minutes ago, topgun2 said:

Builtright and even though they do not normally sell the support bracket for the platform separately

Great deal! I have the same GPS and I probably didn’t need the bracket but I bought it anyway. It went together seamlessly.

I also opted for the 67 Designs Carbon Fiber Amps plate and a short Arm. This allows me to connect the magnetic part of the GPS mount to the amps plate and I get unlimited adjustments for viewing. I am going to mount my TPMS on another short arm and use a mag-mount on it, also from 67 Designs.  This company has several examples of Built Right products on their page.

Brian

• Like 1

I purchased a Garmin Smart Drive 65 with traffic four years ago, it has a 7" screen and works today just like it did when purchased new, $200 price. I will say that we don't use it that much as we just use the AppleCarPlay and iPhone, it does just about everything we need when traveling. Many new vehicles come with GPS today, but my biggest complaint is I have to pay around $150 for upgrades and a Garmin unit has lifetime free updates and my iPhone is always updated free, well free is in the monthly bill.  It's just another TOY to play with, mine is used on my motorcycle, because I get lost a lot.

trainman

• Haha 1

2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Brian and Brandelyne said:

Great deal!

Well - not so much.

Builtright charges $20 for that support plate if you order it along with the platform.  Matt (president of Builtright) agreed to send me just the platform and I agreed to pay the $20 plus shipping.  Therefore, by not ordering the support plate along with the platform I actually paid shipping twice - once for my original order of just the platform and then again for the shipment of the support plate.

So, save yourself some money on the shipping costs by ordering both at the same time with the "PRO" version, if you have interest in hanging cell phones, TPMS systems, GPS's, laptops, rearview camera monitors, etc. off your dash.

Bill

• Like 1

We have had very good luck with the Garmin Overlander.  If you are into more backwoodsy stuff the topo option is useful as is the campground database for those times where there is limited cell coverage.  Mounted ours on a Biltright base with a long arm to hang over the front of the dash ... keeps the unit out of the windshield and gives easier access to both driver and passenger. 

• Like 3