Atwood LP/CO Detector - False Alarms!

Have been experiencing recurrent and spontaneous false propane alarms from the Atwood detector in my two-year-old Elite.  Often requires a half dozen resets before the alarm ceases to repeat.  Valves on propane tanks closed, windows open, fans running...doesn’t matter.

Anyone else had this problem?  Any ‘fix’ short of replacing the unit?

41 minutes ago, RoadPheasant said:

Have been experiencing recurrent and spontaneous false propane alarms from the Atwood detector in my two-year-old Elite.  Often requires a half dozen resets before the alarm ceases to repeat.  Valves on propane tanks closed, windows open, fans running...doesn’t matter.

Thing's loud, isn't it?

We had the same issue in our 2017 Leisure Travel Van.  Seems there were some defective alarms distributed to dealers during that time.  LTV replaced the alarm under warranty and we had no further false alarms.

The only fix I read about when we were having problems was to either pull the fuse or cut the wires, but then you have no warning.  I understand there are also portable units  you can use.

If not still under warranty, these aren't expensive to replace.  Call Oliver Service and they can advise you on a replacement based on your hull#

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

1 hour ago, RoadPheasant said:

Isn't that's how they're supposed to work? If you decide to replace, order two so you'll have a spare for the next time. Pursuing a warranty replacement will just raise your blood pressure. Pull the fuse and repurpose the hole.

• Like 1

Do you by any chance travel with a dog? Dog farts can trigger the alarm.....

Sorry, that isn’t a really pleasant subject.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

2 hours ago, Overland said:

Only dogs?

Well, dogs tend to sleep on the floor under the table, in very close proximity to the gas sensor....

John Davies

SpoKane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.