6V AGM replacement options

mjrendon

John,

If you see my post from 3 hours earlier, there is an image of the PD control module jumper with the pins set to WIZ (lead acid wizard I supposed). I simply moved the jumper to the LI side for lithium as directed by the Progressive Industries support team.  

It is worth noting that the module from my 2017 LE2 was replaced last year and luckily for me it included the capacity for Lithium battery support.

• Thanks 1

On 10/6/2020 at 6:24 AM, mjrendon said:

Any suggestions on what type of materials and tools to get for making the new cables

Beyond the appropriate cable and lugs mentioned, you'll need:

Cable cutter For clean square cuts use one like the Temco TH0002

Stripper/slitter  The rotary style like in the photo work pretty good for  larger  diameter cables. There's a broad price and quality range.

Crimper For battery cables I prefer a lever style like the Temco TH0020 over the hydraulic others have mentioned. Hydraulics typically require three hands for larger lugs and don't provide any tactical feed back making over or under crimps inevitable.

Heat shrink tubing and heat source. Thick wall adhesive lined tubing specifically for battery cables is widely available in black and red. A decent heat gun can be expensive but a small butane torch is effective with practice.

Recommended option for lowest resistance crimp connections:

Rosin core 60/40 solder Use large diameter solder after crimping lugs. Watch how to video (first part)

image.png

• Like 1

On 10/6/2020 at 11:58 AM, mjrendon said:

John, 

Thank you for your reply. I have noted that hydraulic crimper. I still need to choose cable, lugs and tie downs.  bhcnb posted a link to imperial supplies which has quite a selection.

I had my Progressive Dynamics module replaced under warranty last year and the new module is Li compatible according to Progressive support team. Otherwise I would only get small portion of the new Lithium battery filled when attached to shore power.

IMG_3672.thumb.JPG.cc8dc8497eb720cb1713f18021afd42b.JPG

The ZAMP controller will support Lithium as well with a small adjustment to the settings.  

I will be in Hohenwald next week but unfortunately they will not be able to do a Li retrofit yet (2021). I will ask them to check out the charging system, if that is not part of the annual service.

mjrendon,

Appreciate information on Progressive Dynamics module. Replaced our Progressive module during 2017, so will check if we will need to buy a new Progressive module when we upgrade to Lithium batteries.

Thanks,

Edited by rideandfly

LE2

• Moderators
1 hour ago, rideandfly said:

mjrendon,

Appreciate information on Progressive Dynamics module. Replaced our Progressive module during 2017, so will check if we will need to buy a new Progressive module when we upgrade to Lithium batteries.

Thanks,

I’m not sure if you were asking for information about PDI or not, but the following link will provide some additional information.  Their phone support is excellent and a call provided all the information I needed.

https://www.progressivedyn.com/support-manuals-troubleshooting-guides/

The previously posted picture for Leisure Time Distributing has a phone number in it and they are very helpful and a great company to deal with.

Mossey

• Thanks 2
  • Like 1

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

• Moderators
On 10/1/2020 at 4:33 PM, mjrendon said:

Thank you to everyone that replied.  I am going to cancel the order for the BB GC2 cells. I have measured my tray/compartment and it has inside dimensions of 14"W x 21"D x 12.75H to the aluminum block for the door latch.

Overland's photo verifies that the standard batteries work without any modifications, other than the custom cables needed for the connections.  Does that black tubing contain the main lines to the distribution panel and solar?

There certainly no end to the different types of lugs in the link that bhncb posted. What tooling is needed to make your own battery cables? 

I installed 2 standard Battle Born batteries, but prepared for a 3rd in the future.  One problem I ran into was with the positive battery cable would not lay correctly with a straight lug.  I replaced it with a 45° lug which routed the cable toward the cable gland instead of the back wall, which reduced the strain on the battery terminal.

Good luck,

Mossey

78F3CA63-E2C7-4960-93C9-CE36A2F9F844.thumb.jpeg.a98faa02c8acac036967c74bec4ef8e2.jpeg

• Like 2

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

4 hours ago, mossemi said:

I’m not sure if you were asking for information about PDI or not, but the following link will provide some additional information.  Their phone support is excellent and a call provided all the information I needed.

https://www.progressivedyn.com/support-manuals-troubleshooting-guides/

The previously posted picture for Leisure Time Distributing has a phone number in it and they are very helpful and a great company to deal with.

Mossey

Mossey,

Thanks for the link!

LE2

2 hours ago, rideandfly said:

mjrendon,

Thanks,

To check which version of board that I was using I had to remove the cover ( 1 square head screw) and then the cover unclips.  At the top left corner is where I took the picture previously posted showing the WiZ/Li settings. 

https://olivertraIMG_3672.JPGveltrailers.com/forums/uploads/monthly_2020_10/IMG_3672.JPG.0f08d982adc35e6fe28251580c169ba8.JPG

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mjrendon said:

To check which version of board that I was using I had to remove the cover ( 1 square head screw) and then the cover unclips.  At the top left corner is where I took the picture previously posted showing the WiZ/Li settings. 

https://olivertra 146.51 kB · 0 downloads IMG_3672.JPG veltrailers.com/forums/uploads/monthly_2020_10/IMG_3672.JPG.0f08d982adc35e6fe28251580c169ba8.JPG 146.51 kB · 0 downloads

Here's a photo of mine before installation during 2017. My Progressive unit is different from yours. Will call with the serial number to see if I need a new Progressive unit for charging Lithium batteries.

Thanks,

IMG_0414-L.jpg

Edited by rideandfly

LE2

• 3 weeks later...

A quick update after our 12 day trip from TX to VA.  The two new Battle Born batteries were really great. No issues at all. Installation of these two batteries was pretty straight forward, being able to re-use only the existing cables.  Thank you to everyone for the guidance.

We had two long drive days (12+ hours) where the we started out with a full charge on the 2 batteries and by end of the drive the voltage had dropped to 12.8V with only the fridge and rear camera on DC. Note we do have the ZAMP PWM charge with 340 watts solar, so I was a bit surprised that the solar was not able to keep up with the fridge better than this. 

My next step will be to install the 2 additional Battle Born batteries for a total of 4 (400AH), a smart shunt and most likely one of MPPT solar chargers.  Still deciding which solar charger to get.  Please offer your opinion if you can recommend on MPPT charger for the the Eliite 2 setup.

For the four battery parallelization, I am considering using custom copper bus bars rather than wiring. Copying Overlands layout but using  six 7 inch copper should do the trick according to my test bench layout.  I am wondering if the bus bars connected to each terminal might be too rigid for an RV environment?

Thanks again for the help and responses.

Mike

• Like 1