Boondocking and securing valuables

Mac

While nothing is entirely theft proof, when camping and especially boondocking in places where  expensive gear is exposed, and especially vulnerable while away from the campsite (esp inverter generators), one way to heavily discourage a would-be opportunist, is a bolt-cutter proof lock and chain.  Pictured is a 1/2”  chain and lock. It would take a cutting wheel to break it. This chain is from Tulsa Chain. The lock is a Viro.  We worry a lot less about our gear things are secured with it.

540E9E22-3577-46C2-83F8-C4D36BC078AF.jpeg

• Thanks 4
  • Like 1

For sure we went overkill. Considered the 3-8” chain at about half the price (and weight) and it would have done the trick, but doubt we’ll regret experiencing the extra peace of mind from amped security of the 1/2” chain.  Two generators, two bikes and propane equipment, etc, would be a hassle to replace.  As noted, the lock wasnt inexpensive either, but necessary to complete the system. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

I am no expert but wouldn't it be more cost effective to remove the eye candy from your camp site and take it with you, so thieves have no reason to monitor your site and steal your possessions!  Another thought is many popular you tubers say thieves won't make the effort to leave populated areas to hunt for victims to steal from! An oxygen/acetylene portable torch will burn through any small chain in less than 60 seconds, in reality if someone wants your stuff they will take it.

Hull 833

2019 F250 6.2L

9 hours ago, xmavrick said:

I am no expert but wouldn't it be more cost effective to remove the eye candy from your camp site and take it with you, so thieves have no reason to monitor your site and steal your possessions!  Another thought is many popular you tubers say thieves won't make the effort to leave populated areas to hunt for victims to steal from! An oxygen/acetylene portable torch will burn through any small chain in less than 60 seconds, in reality if someone wants your stuff they will take it.

Any anti-theft device is merely a deterrent . . . . . a means of keeping honest people honest.  Aside from taking valuable items with you, theft-proof security is a rarity.  Make it difficult for thieves to "help themselves" to your gear, but remember that  "out of sight" removes the temptation.  

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

FWIW - and I am N00b with Ollie due Jan 26 - I was wondering if a battery  operated “Ring” “stick up cam” in a window or inside would be possible, or of use. Records motion, saves. I dunno about how to do internet in an RV (yet), or if it would work, but I have one in my rental house and was able to prosecute a nutcase would-be vandal because of it. Showing my ignorance here again but this is a topic I am gonna follow and thanks for posting it.

Edited by SherMica
  • Like 1

2021 Elite 1 -- Hull #731

Ram 1500 Rebel 4x4

Now Sold

states.png

• Moderators

I don't know if ring works without wifi. Many game cameras do, though. 

• Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.