Wiring Quality New Models - Feedback Please

connor77

I have an Elite 2 on order and I'd like to hear from owners that have newer models and get their feedback on overall wiring quality.  I'm interested in neatness of work, appropriate use of connectors (like butt connectors instead of wire nuts), tie wraps appropriately spaced and just overall layout and quality.  My brother does high end home theater installations as well as marine electronics installations and I've helped him on some projects.  He's super OCD and the quality of his work is impressive to say the least.  I'm wondering if, once he starts to look at the trailer,  he'll want to redo some of the wiring.  Obviously without voiding my warranty.

Thoughts?  I've read several threads from owners that have older models.  Just curious to know what the feedback is like on the later models.  

The forums are incredibly helpful.  Lots of great information from people genuinely interested in helping others and willing to share their great ideas and modifications.  It is very much appreciated.  Thanks to all...

• Like 2

ALCTKYMENHNYNCPATNVTVAWVsm.jpg2021 Elite 2 Hull # 832 "Bucket List"

2021 F250 7.3L Gas / 4.30 AR

• Moderators

Can't help you on the topic (ours is a 2008), but, I would like to welcome you to the forum. 

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

Back in the day prior to Oliver having "issues" with a host of production quality control things, each Ollie was individually wired.  Sometimes by one person, sometimes by another and even sometimes by a combination of people.  Then in order to get better control of quality control many things were "standardized".  Indeed, one of those things was wiring.  Now, all wiring for all campers is done the same regardless of what options any particular camper is destined to be originally outfitted with.  So, if one does the factory tour they get to see relatively large tables where the wiring is laid out and on these tables are diagrams of what color wire, connector, splice, etc., goes where.  This process insures (as far as anything that we humans are involved with can be) that each and every Oliver that comes off the production line is wired the same and is proper as per current electrical code.  

In addition to the benefit of having a new Oliver already wired for any options that are to be added after original delivery, the relative ease of completing the wiring on a large table right at waist height should make things like splices and connections much more secure than the way it was formally.  However, is there is "possibility" that a connection, splice, buss bar cover, screw, clamp, etc., could be or not be tightened or placed in the "right" location?  As long as humans are involved, of course the answer is yes.

Bill

• Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

1 hour ago, bhncb said:

Andrew,  Didn't Oliver put a cover on that buss bar?

They did not but all lower hull positive connections are under the bed and negative under the dinette.

Andrew

Andrew

2019 Legacy Elite II  2018 BMW x5 35d 

AndrewK, those "highly visible" locations under the dinette and bed have always looked pretty nice. How about the hidden areas, behind the round access potholes, or up in the rear attic behind the two side panels? That is where the older hull numbers had problems, where the main harnesses connected to the peripherals like radio, solar controller, switch panel, etc. Those were a mess....

I agree with bhncb - that main positive bus bar needs a cover, regardless of where it is located. A negative bus can make do without one. A dropped wrench on that big exposed hot bus could ruin your day and maybe burn you. You have to plan for the worst case scenarios, not hope they will not happen. Have Jason send you a cover!.

Thanks,

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies
  • Thanks 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

6 minutes ago, John E Davies said:

I agree with bhncb - that main positive bus bar needs a cover, regardless of where it is located. A negative bus can make do without one. A dropped wrench on that big exposed hot bus could ruin your day and maybe burn you. You have to plan for the worst case scenarios, not hope they will not happen. Have Jason send you a cover!.

To be clear, I wasn't trying to be critical. I don't know about RVIA, but ABYC would not require a cover given the distance to the circuit breaker connection. From a personal preference perspective though, I'm with John. There are a number of nearby sources for ground potential and one particular conductor that I addressed is the outside shower flex hose. But I'm sure Oliver probably looked at it as a way to save a few dollars and you can't fault them for that.

I’m pretty sure that those bus bars come with covers. My guess is that it was lost in production. 

Andrews wiring is so much nicer than mine. They’ve definitely improved. One thing that I don’t like though is all those wire clips screwed into the hull. I’ve discovered more than a few of mine that went all the way through. Take out the screws and you see daylight. Good thing Oliver doesn’t build boats. 

• Like 1

Overland - I like that idea.  The thought of removing a screw and seeing daylight is disturbing.  The strip of PVC (or better yet - Starboard) wouldn't cost much at all...

Thanks for all the feedback thus far.  Andrew's pictures made me feel better about the wiring and I watched a Youtube video supporting topgun's message of improved consistency in the wiring department.

2 hours ago, Overland said:

I’m pretty sure that those bus bars come with covers. My guess is that it was lost in production. 

Bluesea has two part numbers for the bar, one with and without the cover. It would be worth the time to call Oliver and check though since they used to be covered.

The bus bar cover itself ..,,, https://www.bluesea.com/products/2715/Common_BusBar_Cover_for_PN_2301_and_PN_2303.

If you have a marine supply close by you can find it for maybe $4. 

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

1 hour ago, Landrover said:

My only input on the wiring with years of different Rvs  its the best wiring  I have ever seen. 

Are you referring to mainstream Elkhart RVs? 

John Davies

Spokane WA

7 hours ago, John E Davies said:

Are you referring to mainstream Elkhart RVs? 

John Davies

Spokane WA

John  

The mainstream RV wiring are like rats nests Airstream included  Oliver has the best  wiring  I’ve seen.  I’ll  admit wiring is one of my weak points.   The Oliver is easy traceable  A least my 2019 Ollie is.

• Like 6

Grant  2022 GMC Denali 2500 HD 2019  Elite 11😎

Here are some in-production pictures I took mid August during our tour. It might give you some idea of the hidden wires that are between the inner and outer shells before they are put together. We were very impressed with the quality. 

1991B553-C13F-4323-B494-F0C4AE99E68D.jpeg

558601C9-6B14-4AF5-83EA-F0DF6736BB19.jpeg

C0E8B10C-35E0-444D-AE73-FAB61C884081.jpeg

E264AE4C-0DC5-4582-A3DE-BE5BF15415EA.jpeg

AEC30CB0-810D-4707-A93C-090072B49661.jpeg

F296E0EE-01BA-451F-80A2-BA7631826CD3.jpeg

7B613137-2710-45CC-AECC-BDE0A8DBD91F.jpeg

• Thanks 4
  • Like 3

Charlie & Cindy / Cleburne, TX / 2021 Elite II Hull #743 / 2013 Ford F250 Diesel 4WD Supercab

States we've camped in our Oliver:

ALAZLANMTNTXUTsm.jpg

Thank you for the images.  I continue to appreciate the importance of quality wiring especially in this type of application.  If re-work is needed due to poor workmanship it is probably very difficult.  

• Like 1

I'd like to see a side by side comparison of Oliver and SOB electrical installations.  And I'll bet not many assembly lines are as organized as Oliver's.  It's good to be small!

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • Moderators

From another thread - 

I just noticed that there are a couple of great shots of that water heater by-pass valve - see photos 2 and 4 (from the top) above. 

Bill

Edited by topgun2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"