Fastener Thread

Jim_Oker

Is there good thread covering various approaches to  fastening various types of modification items (mounted photos/prints, paper towel holders, clotheslines,  etc. etc.) to different parts  of the trailer? I've done a few stabs at searching and may just not  be using the right search  terms to turn  an existing thread up. If there isn't such a thread, perhaps folks can post strategies  and products here. Bolts/washers/nylock nuts,  3M VHB tape  (so many VHB types to choose from!), velcro tape, 3M Dual Lock  tape, 3M tape primer, etc. etc. I can make some pretty good guesses but I know some of you  have seen  what does  and  perhaps  doesn't work (worth mentioning too!) and  have opinions on all this!

Edited by Jim_Oker
  • Like 1

Jim and  Yanna, Woodinville WA

2004 Ford E250 camper conversion

Oliver Elite II hull #709

10 hours ago, Jim_Oker said:

Is there good thread covering various approaches to  fastening various types of modification items (mounted photos/prints, paper towel holders, clotheslines,  etc. etc.) to different parts  of the trailer? I've done a few stabs at searching and may just not  be using the right search  terms to turn  an existing thread up. If there isn't such a thread, perhaps folks can post strategies  and products here. Bolts/washers/nylock nuts,  3M VHB tape  (so many VHB types to choose from!), velcro tape, 3M Dual Lock  tape, 3M tape primer, etc. etc. I can make some pretty good guesses but I know some of you  have seen  what does  and  perhaps  doesn't work (worth mentioning too!) and  have opinions on all this!

If it comes to the dreaded drilling holes in the fiberglass, I prefer pop rivets.  Flatter heads  better grip less chance  of rivets backing out or striping threads like screws.   stick on fasteners is my first choice.

• Thanks 1

Grant  2022 GMC Denali 2500 HD 2019  Elite 11😎

I am a big fan of HASKO suction cup fasteners (hooks).  We use them for paper towel holders, kitchen item storage, hanging clothes, and other uses.  Adhere strongly to Oliver fiberglass and can easily be moved around as needed.  No glue mess.  No holes. A simple suction cup attaches to wall.

IMG_1243.thumb.jpg.09053a2d751b65adac250d7e23a60041.jpgIMG_1244.thumb.jpg.1b4f32479bfc40c92c1e12445f991489.jpgIMG_1245.thumb.jpg.f3276bd75f5334721cc24bb60b75b841.jpgIMG_1246.thumb.jpg.6511c0eaec8f3bb2a24b420c086e50ba.jpgd as needs change. Can get them from Amazon.

• Thanks 2
  • Like 3

KWR

2019 Oliver Legacy Elite II, Hull#444

2019 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab, 4WD, Denali, Duramax 6.6L Turbo Diesel V8 Engine with Allison 6-speed transmission

14 minutes ago, KWRJRPE said:

I am a big fan of HASKO suction cup fasteners (hooks).  We use them for paper towel holders, kitchen item storage, hanging clothes, and other uses.  Adhere strongly to Oliver fiberglass and can easily be moved around as needed.  No glue mess.  No holes. A simple suction cup attaches to wall.

Thanks  - those are an interesting option I  hadn't seen mentioned much across threads here. Do you leave them stuck on while traveling, and if so will  they even tend to stay put on bumpy dirt roads and such?

We always leave them attached while traveling but sometimes (when we remember) remove weight (such as paper towels, kitchen items, clothes, towels) while traveling.  Never had one fall.  Turning the dial clockwise presses the suction cup tighter to the wall.  These work remarkably well.  Check them out on Amazon or on the HASKO website for different types, uses, and designs.  They have types for organizing bath/shower items that look interesting (we have not tried yet)    

KWR

2019 Oliver Legacy Elite II, Hull#444

2019 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab, 4WD, Denali, Duramax 6.6L Turbo Diesel V8 Engine with Allison 6-speed transmission

We do use a suction cup caddy behind the sink, similar to what @KWRJRPE mentioned. We use command strip hooks all over the trailer. Sticks great to fiberglass; be sure to clean the surface first with isopropyl alcohol. We use command picture hanging strips to hang pictures. Double sided tape is very useful, and I initially used double sided tape to put a cheap plastic towel holder above the sink. After several years it started to come loose, and as I had overcome my earlier fears of drilling into the fiberglass, I mounted a  Kamenstein Paper Towel Holder, using the t-nuts that @mossemi had recommended. 

Edit. The command strip hooks are very strong, and we leave everything up on them when driving. Same for pictures hung with picture hanging strips. 

Velcro also works well for things you want to detach and reattach. Again. clean the surface first with isopropyl alcohol. 

Edited by DavidS
  • Like 2

David Stillman, Salt Lake City, Utah

2016 Oliver Elite II  Hull 164    |    2017 Audi Q7 tow vehicle. 

Travel and Photography Blog: http://davidstravels.net

• Moderators

For me, the fastener depends on the job I want it to do.  However, as DavidS says - Command Strips are your friend.  Never had one fail (yet) and they can be removed without leaving any trace.  I've used Command Strips with Velcro on them, Command Strips that are plain double sided tape, Command Strips that have various hooks attached, etc., etc.  And, they are fairly cheap.

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators

We attached our paper towel holder first with double-sided tape to be sure we liked the placement.  About a year later, Paul fastened it with small bolts through the underside of the cabinet.

We use industrial velcro for a lot of quick access items. Flashlights, remote controls,  etc. Rough face on the trailer, soft on the item.

The clear bins, sold for bathroom storage, have been in use for over twelve years. We leave them up when we travel. They're fastened with suction cups. These little bins have given me a lot of extra storage in the tiny kitchen. I have two suction cup towel rings, as well.

Lots of command hooks spotted around the trailer. Command strips are great.

Sherry

20201004_125056.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

I’ve used all of the above. I’ve also used a good deal of marine adhesive.

There’s a use for everything - it’s just a question of the application, how strong it needs to hold, and how permanent you want it to be. 

I haven’t tried pop rivets, but I’ve had a handful of Oliver’s rivets on the pantry, closet, basement, and microwave door fail. Five in total - some snapped in two and some pulled through.  No idea if the issue was an over aggressive riveter or the rivets themselves.

I haven't had tremendous success with suction cups either, maybe because I'm using Ikea brand.

I think the best, strongest solution would be rivnuts with a wide flange. That, and I’m slowly getting to trust VHB as much as people say I should. 

Some examples -

• Photos, things you may want to change or remove - command strips, heavy duty velcro
  • Small permanent items - VHB tape if the item allows, stainless screws (with a little adhesive caulk on the threads to hold them)
  • Heavy permanent items - bolts with washers if you have access (fender washers if there's space), screws, adhesive caulk (where you can't or don't want to screw into the fiberglass), possibly VHB tape or rivnuts
  • Wiring and plumbing tie downs - Zip ties (either the cable tie kind with eyelets for screws, or regular installed on a screw-down saddle

Always stainless screws and bolts, always nylock nuts.  For things inside the hull, I usually try to glue a piece of PVC to the hull with adhesive caulk, and then screw to that.  

Edited by Overland

Thanks for all the contributions - there's a  nice set of options above and super helpful voices of experience.

14 hours ago, Overland said:

I’m slowly getting to trust VHB as much as people say I should. 

Yes, it was an eye opener for me to browse this 3M publication on  all the uses of the various types of  VHB tape they make. There are some very demanding and can't-fail type applications!

Edited by Jim_Oker
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/4/2020 at 11:43 AM, KWRJRPE said:

I am a big fan of HASKO suction cup fasteners

And now, I am also.  These have performed flawlessly! Many thanks for bringing these to our attention. Note that these also come with VHB pads for a more permanent mount. 

David and Vicky | Burns, TN | 2020 LEII #686 | 2017 Ford F-250 4x4 6.2L

I haven’t tried suction cups yet, but plastic Command Hooks and broom holders work for me. As well as self tapping screws combined with VHB tape - the two combined are 100% bullet proof... VHB tape alone is fine for a light object like a wall mounted charger, as long as you make sure there is adequate surface area. If necessary screw or rivet the bracket to a plate, then attach the plate with tape. Thick aluminum is easy to shape and drill and needs no paint:

643539DA-4020-4DBE-88EC-5A1AA9463559.jpeg.ad604901ba479071444975a4276176c9.jpeg

I caution older people with balance issues to never mount steel holders or hooks up near eye level such as on your pantry door. Ouch.... Anything below ceiling height should be smooth plastic, or rounded at the very least. I still vividly recall a public safety television commercial from the 1960s showing a little girl running with pointed scissors and falling, then the screen goes dark. That was cringe inducing. It worked for me, there are no scissors in MY trailer!

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.