Water Filtration Pressurization

GAP

Hey All

We are picking up our brandy new  E2 in December.  Just lining up ducks here with questions concerning watering. Forgive basic query but it's our first go around with trailering.  We are hoping to use our clean water tnk for potable water.  Was condiering a dual stage filter set up - 5 micron and .5 micron.  That would filter out unwanted bits, plus nasty critters (cryptosiridium and giardia) and most bad taste.  Could go a step further by using a Brita type gravity feed at the faucet.

Questions:

-  would I need an AC or DC pump to get the water through those filters?  

-   Assuming so, would it work best pre filter (pushing) or post filter (pulling?

-  Is there an on board water pressure regulator?  If not I could attach one to the filtration system.  

-  Anyone know the highest pressure appropriate for taking filling the clean water tank or is it simply a matter of feeding somewhere south of the water backing up?

-  Does the "city water" port have a built in regulator and if not, what pressure should I be aiming for?

As a bonus question:  I see there is some sort of built in surge protector.  Went to University and saw that it shuts off in over & under volltage situaions which is great.  Question is, will it protect against ground fault and reversed polarity?  I beleive the coded warnings will indicate either of those situations but have no idea if it would shut off the feed in either/both circumstances.

Thanks much in advance.

GAP

SOLD:  2021 Elite 2, Twin Bed, Lithium & Solar, 3000W Inverter

SOLD:  2022 Ford F150, 3.5L V6 EcoBoost, 4x4 Supercab, Trailer Tow Package

Oliver normally supplies  a 40 PSI inline regulator as part of the startup kit.  *ask your salesperson for a list of supplied accessories*
40 PSI is the pressure they suggest for street (pressurized inlet).
It's also good to know that the interior pump can also suck water from a boondocking inlet on the back of the trailer through a short hose into a outboard water container.  The onboard tank pump is a 3 GPM pump, that provides between 45-55 PSI at it's output to the fixtures.
The pump is calibrated to shutoff at 45 PSI once the taps are turned off.

The manuals for the 2020 Elite II will be almost identical to those on the 2021 model (at least for plumbing).
You should consider finding the 2020 Elite II manuals in the Oliver University portion of the Oliver Web Page under the Owners Tab.

You can then pre-study for pickup and also look at the details that you may need to boondock successfully.

1893162839_ScreenShot2020-10-05at3_17_26PM.thumb.jpg.77cb8352b421538a5761d47f0a835266.jpg

Edited by ctshort09

2019 Elite II (Hull 505 - Galway Girl - August 7, 2019 Delivery) 
Tow Vehicle: 2021 F350 King Ranch, FX4, MaxTow Package, 10 Speed, 3.55 Rear Axle
Batteries Upgrade: Dual 315GTX Lithionics Lithiums - 630AH Total
Inverter/Charger: Xantrex 2000Pro 

Travel BLOG:  https://4-ever-hitched.com

IMG_5421.jpeg.c1f697a00240a9bd6729b0930bd3a4aa.jpeg

The supplied regulator is a typical cheap RV unit that is in reality a flow restrictor. A proper full flow adjustable unit with gauge is more appropriate. I set mine at 60 psi.

Valterra pressure regulator

I can’t answer any of your filter questions, but Expedition Portal would be a good place to check. I don’t try to keep the fresh tank drinkable, I use a cheap disposable inline Camco one, (two for $18) and filter all drinking water through a pitcher filter. That works 100% fine. I am not sure why you would want the entire contents of the tank that pure. For showering and dishes, it isn’t needed. OTH if you are going to be sucking raw water out of creeks, then yes, you definitely need a super system. 

https://olivertraveltrailers.com/forums/topic/4376-7-cup-pur-water-pitcher-fits-neatly-in-pantry-affordable-filters/

Add a strong brass 90 degree elbow to the end of the regulator (or inline filter), and the hose can be draped neatly over the back bumper to keep it off the ground and also to remove stress from the water port.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

6 hours ago, GAP said:

As a bonus question:  I see there is some sort of built in surge protector.  Went to University and saw that it shuts off in over & under volltage situaions which is great.  Question is, will it protect against ground fault and reversed polarity?  I beleive the coded warnings will indicate either of those situations but have no idea if it would shut off the feed in either/both circumstances.

Thanks much in advance.

GAP

We will also be picking up our new Oliver in December also (the 7th).  Perhaps we'll see each other on the road, at Hohenwald, or at Davy Crockett SP; we'll be spending a couple of days there, to make sure everything is working properly, before heading back to Oregon.

I can answer the "bonus question"!  We had the same surge protector in the Leisure Travel Van (that we sold to make way for the Oliver).  Yes, the Progressive Industries will identify all of those conditions mentioned above and shut the power off to the RV to protect the wiring and components from possible damage.  It's a bit of a bother, but it does occur at campgrounds and RV parks where sometimes the power is not up to snuff or perhaps being used heavily for A/C.  Be prepared, if this happens, to make do with solar (if you have that option) battery, and/or generator as your power source.  If you suspect the problem is with campground/RV park shore power, be sure to let the host/owners know as they may not be aware of the problem.  They may even offer to move you to another site, to see if that resolves the problem.

I'm sure you are getting excited about your new trailer; you've reminded me I need to visit the "University" and get ready for delivery.  December will be here before we know it!

PS: If you don't mind my asking, what is the meaning of your avatar?  I ask because at one time I raised goats 🐐 🐐 🐐 🐐 . . . . . . .

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

Really good pointers.  I ordered the Pur filter John suggested already.  The reason i am considering the dual stage filtration is to use in iffy boondocking situations.  While the system will be regularly "shocked" to clen out critters, I feel it may be worth the effort to prevent that sort of contamination from happening in the first place.  Ctshort09, do you think the on board pump would have the suction to pull water through a 50' hose and dual filtration system?  This could be a likely scenario if grabbing water fron a stream or lake.  I would assume that pump is more appropriate to the short hose (with standard el cheapo RV filter) scenario you described.

Susan, thanks much on the reassurance on the on board surge protector.  Really great to know it will shut things down when needed.  I will have a small genarator and opted for the impressively pricey lithium based solar package, so should be good to go.  BTW, 2020 still offers a solid solar system federal tax deduction which, as far as my research shows, does not depend on the trailer being claimed as a second home.  26% if memory serves me well.

We are slated to pick up just 3 days before you.  Not sure how long we will be at the campground but lets keep in touch.  It would be great to meet you.  The goat head is part of my business logo.  I have an ocean based, rough water instructional and event thingy:  Surf, rock gardening and tide race play.  Some of the folks I work with call my an old mountain goat (I used to teach mountaineering).

Thanks for all the input.  More newbie questions to follow.

sea sherpa revise copy.png

• Like 1

SOLD:  2021 Elite 2, Twin Bed, Lithium & Solar, 3000W Inverter

SOLD:  2022 Ford F150, 3.5L V6 EcoBoost, 4x4 Supercab, Trailer Tow Package

• Moderators
27 minutes ago, GAP said:

I have an ocean based, rough water instructional and event thingy:  Surf, rock gardening and tide race play.  Some of the folks I work with call my an old mountain goat (I used to teach mountaineering).

Well, my guess was way off base.

Brady

Screenshot_20201006-155604_Google.jpg

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

The onboard pump won’t suck 50 feet through two filters, I doubt it would even suck 20 ft with no filters, and certainly not if there is any air in the hose. It will simply airlock. To do what you want, you need a remote “booster pump” at the water source, to push water through the filters to the trailer. A simple RV water pump screwed to a piece of wood might work, using a long heavy gauge 12 volt power cord to minimize voltage drop, or better yet, carry your generator over to the water source and power something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/VIVOSUN-Transfer-Utility-Impeller-Gasket/dp/B07R7V1HJW/ref=sr_1_12?dchild=1&keywords=120v+transfer+pump&qid=1602019961&sr=8-12

It is far easier to just carry extra fresh water in a can and set it next to the rear inlet, or use a big storage bladder in your truck and feed it that way. Have you thought about converting your black tank to fresh? That would provide an extra 18 gallons, and it would gravity feed to the (empty) main fresh tank. We have talked about this endlessly, but nobody has yet posted a how to thread.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies
  • Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

13 minutes ago, Mcb said:

Milwaukee makes a cordless 12v transfer pump... works pretty well..

That is cool, thanks for the info. Does it come with a battery? A two pack of those is $100, the pump itself is $200. It does say “Indoor use only”, but who cares. Nifty:

Milwaukee Pump Owners Manual

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies

I would love to convert unused black water tank to an additional 18 gallons of fresh water.  Makes so much sense for those with the Natures Head composting toilet. We don’t have our trailer yet, March 25 delivery, but very interested in making this modification. 

2021 Legacy Elite I , Hull #765

2021 Chevrolet Silverado 3.0 Diesel 

Navarre, Fl

3 hours ago, GAP said:

Really good pointers.  I ordered the Pur filter John suggested already.  The reason i am considering the dual stage filtration is to use in iffy boondocking situations.  While the system will be regularly "shocked" to clen out critters, I feel it may be worth the effort to prevent that sort of contamination from happening in the first place.  Ctshort09, do you think the on board pump would have the suction to pull water through a 50' hose and dual filtration system?  This could be a likely scenario if grabbing water fron a stream or lake.  I would assume that pump is more appropriate to the short hose (with standard el cheapo RV filter) scenario you described.

Susan, thanks much on the reassurance on the on board surge protector.  Really great to know it will shut things down when needed.  I will have a small genarator and opted for the impressively pricey lithium based solar package, so should be good to go.  BTW, 2020 still offers a solid solar system federal tax deduction which, as far as my research shows, does not depend on the trailer being claimed as a second home.  26% if memory serves me well.

We are slated to pick up just 3 days before you.  Not sure how long we will be at the campground but lets keep in touch.  It would be great to meet you.  The goat head is part of my business logo.  I have an ocean based, rough water instructional and event thingy:  Surf, rock gardening and tide race play.  Some of the folks I work with call my an old mountain goat (I used to teach mountaineering).

Thanks for all the input.  More newbie questions to follow.

sea sherpa revise copy.png

We ordered the Lithium pkg as well.  Plan to take the tax credit, though there seem to be a few "grey areas" where it is concerned.

Not sure what "Surf, rock gardening and tide race play" are, but it sounds like something goats would enjoy, capricious creatures that they be.   

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

1 hour ago, C&MCurrie said:

I would love to convert unused black water tank to an additional 18 gallons of fresh water.  Makes so much sense for those with the Natures Head composting toilet. We don’t have our trailer yet, March 25 delivery, but very interested in making this modification. 

https://olivertraveltrailers.com/forums/topic/4388-other-uses-for-black-tank-with-composting-toilet/

https://olivertraveltrailers.com/forums/topic/2930-merging-gray-and-black-tanks/

https://olivertraveltrailers.com/forums/topic/3828-urine-redirect-to-gray-tank/

I have done this in my head many times, it should be simple enough, and quite inexpensive. It will harm the resale value if a buyer wants to install a standard water wasting toilet, and help it if he is an avid boondocker....

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies

Mine didn’t come with a battery, but because my business  requires a truck filled with tools, and since Im outfitted with Milwaukee gear I’ve got plenty of options. If you’ve got a couple of M18 batteries already, it might be worth it. I originally bought it to move water into the Casita, have ended up using it instead for all kinds of projects. It’ll move water through 30’ of hose with enough pressure to use a spray nozzle to water a garden, but not to wash a truck.. I suspect it has the oomph to easily move water from a creek to an Oliver from quite a distance.. 

• Thanks 1

Mark & Deb..2020 Elite II..Dearie..Hull #685..2016 Tundra

AZARCAFLMSNMOKPATNTXsm.jpg