Electrical System Failure

Two days ago while towing my 2015 Legacy Elite II the electrical connector cable and plug that attaches the trailer to the car came loose.  It was destroyed after being dragged on the ground for about 75 miles.  I had the cable repaired but the electrical system in the trailer doesn't work whether or not the trailer is connected to the car.   When I entered the trailer after discovering the problem there was an electrical burning smell.  I spent the night in a campground with an electrical hookup but when I plugged the trailer in to the outlet at the campground the electrical system in the trailer still did not work.  My question is whether anyone has any idea of what electrical component is likely damaged/broken and where to start the troubleshooting process?  What components need to be examined/tested?  Thanks.

This sounds serious . . . . . shouldn't the on board surge protection have kicked in?  . . . . . I don't know where in the electrical flow the surge protector is situated.  Maybe something with the converter?  Was the tow vehicle system affected?  Do the trailer lights still come on with the headlights when hitched and plugged in? . . . . . . just some thoughts.

Please let us know what you discover.

Edited by Susan Huff

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

• Moderators
3 hours ago, TerryOBrien said:

Two days ago while towing my 2015 Legacy Elite II the electrical connector cable and plug that attaches the trailer to the car came loose.  It was destroyed after being dragged on the ground for about 75 miles.  I had the cable repaired but the electrical system in the trailer doesn't work whether or not the trailer is connected to the car.   When I entered the trailer after discovering the problem there was an electrical burning smell.  I spent the night in a campground with an electrical hookup but when I plugged the trailer in to the outlet at the campground the electrical system in the trailer still did not work.  My question is whether anyone has any idea of what electrical component is likely damaged/broken and where to start the troubleshooting process?  What components need to be examined/tested?  Thanks.

I am attaching a couple of photos for your information.  One is specific to the 12v DC cord that connects to the tow vehicle.  The other is of the 120v AC wiring.

From your description of the results of the incident, I would expect that the was a short in the 12v DC system created by the damaged cable or plug.

Was the plug replaced?

Was the cable replaced or a damaged portion cutoff?

Do you have the skill set and tools to do any testing?

I am not sure about a 2015 LE2 but the following applies to my 2017 LE2.

There are 12v DC breakers in the attic, which is the upper cabinet above the back window.

There are also 12v DC fuses and 120v AC  breakers under the dinette.

Can you verify if they are working?

We will await your response.

MosseyB6DE5194-E0A9-444C-BB25-0A3C50076E0C.thumb.png.960e34c75af3f18f8e9eb11b2a358644.png

1DE194D7-4597-4AEF-A8D5-BBF2F089BD0C.thumb.png.3f95d8481723e39f876bfc0d68355b22.png

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

2 hours ago, Susan Huff said:

. . I don't know where in the electrical flow the

A 2015 did not have a built in EMS (electrical management system). 

A good place may be to look at the GFCI. Both the one at the dinette and the one on the inverter (if so equipped).

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Mainiac said:

A 2015 did not have a built in EMS (electrical management system). 

A good place may be to look at the GFCI. Both the one at the dinette and the one on the inverter (if so equipped).

If the 2015 had the built in EMS, would the problem possibly been avoided?

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg