Elite 1 Bedding Size Etc.

Moonlight Mile

Hi all,

QUESTION 1: I did search the forums here and for some reason nothing on the bedding sizes most appropriate for the Elite 1 (2021). Ordered and my delivery date is Jan 2021.

So excited, lots of questions, searching for everything. All I got was that the rear dining table converts to a 52" x 74" bed. I will likely leave it converted most of the time -- if not ALL THE TIME -- and I will probably because a) I plan to FT with a big ole Lab who likes his creature comforts during the day (i.e., sofa dawg!); and b) I'm lazy and don't want to be making a dining table into a bed once a day.

So, I googled and find this:

Full/Double 54" x 75" Full

I have no idea what shape the Elite 1 cushions-dining pads are, exactly, when converted to a bed, but I don't imagine it's "rectangular," which sheets usually are, right? And, also, I'm getting the "standard" bed cushions with my "build," so I THINK I will be wanting a mattress topper of some sort. Sizing, again, is my question. Shape and sizing, materials, even (see below, concerns re: mold). All recs appreciated re: sheets, toppers, sizes, etc.

I'm not very domesticated. In case you can't tell. HAH. So I have no clue if sheets, blankets, and a comforter labeled as being for "full size" beds will work well and look nice on an Elite 1 "bed." Can anyone confirm? If I add a topper, wouldn't I want slightly bigger/deeper "pocket" fitted sheets and stuff? Would I want to fo up a size and get Queen-size everything?

What has worked best for you Elite 1 owners? (Assuming Oliver has not changed the bed conversion specs for the Elite 1 totally for 2021 Elite 1s.) I have no idea if Elite I beds are the same as Elite II beds, but if they are, let me know and I will incorporate searches accordingly. 

QUESTION 2: 

Is there anything in general you recommend for the bed situation to prevent mold? I saw a scary thread somewhere about mold growing under the "mattress" within a month. Should I use a dehumidifier when possible and keep a window cracked all the time? Or one of those choices, or the other? I plan to be in some cold weather, is the thing. Definitely don't want a mold problem if I can prevent it. My "build" is going to include the add-on option "Hypervent Condensation Prevention Matting" which sounds like something designed to prevent mold, at least somewhere in the trailer, right?

Be gentle, I'm a n00b! Thanks for any clues! Hope this makes sense. I am not as caffeinated as I should be.

Edited by SherMica

2021 Elite 1 -- Hull #731

Ram 1500 Rebel 4x4

Now Sold

states.png

• Moderators

Re # 1 - Send a PM to Sherry (Seadawg).

Re # 2 - The Hypervent thing has got you covered on the moisture under the bed thing.  It is fairly expensive for what it is but I'm told that it works.  Particularly in cold weather, anything you can do to reduce moisture (our campers really do not "breath") is a good thing.  Cracked to open windows, use the bathroom and/or the MaxAir Fan, a small dehumidifier, etc..

Bill

• Thanks 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators

I've always bought queen bedding and tuck the extra in under the cushions. I bought a full size mattress pad once, by mistake,  and it was a real struggle to make it fit. I'd rather have the "extra", and ease of making the bed.

If you already have queen sheets, just take a set with you. You'll see what I  mean. 

Most blankets and quilts these days are labeled queen/full, anyway.

I take an extra old top sheet to cover the bedding during the day, as our little dog claims the bed as her own daytime. She sleeps on her own bed, on a dinette cushion, during the night. Daytime,  she claims the entire trailer as her own.👑 She's a bit of a princess 👸 

A few years ago, I bought a queen foam topper for the cushions and cut it down with dressmaker sheers to fit the curves. When I had a fiberfill/down alternative topper, it was fine.  I made no alterations. Just tucked the thin stuff under.

Btw, I  like microfiber sheets (amazon basics are good. Charisma from costco our favorites) in cooler season, flannel in cold, and cotton (thinner Hillcrest sateen)  in hot summer only. Good microfiber has a nice feel, and dries really fast at the laundry,  or on the line. Seems to stay fresh longer than cotton, which I find holds moisture.

We don't have hypervent.  But, we have cushions, plus 1.5 inch foam topper,  not a mattress. 13 seasons in, no issues. I do have Ikea bumpy shelf liner under part of the cushions. And, we intentionally don't camp much under 25 to 30 degrees at night. I left Minnesota winters  decades ago.

Sherry

Edited by SeaDawg
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

I would try the cushions plus topper, first. 

You might also want to look at the Froli system vs hypervent. The froli has great reviews in the boating community,  and also adds some "spring", like a box spring, but thinner.

We also leave our large dinette set up as a bed. Not sure where the leg is for the table, anymore.😄

We keep three bins of clothes and extra bedding/towels/ gear under the "permanent " bed, or two, and two backpacks and a small duffel.

Edited by SeaDawg
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

3 hours ago, topgun2 said:

The Hypervent thing has got you covered on the moisture under the bed thing.  It is fairly expensive for what it is but I'm told that it works.  Particularly in cold weather, anything you can do to reduce moisture (our campers really do not "breath") is a good thing.  Cracked to open windows, use the bathroom and/or the MaxAir Fan, a small dehumidifier, etc..

Bill

Hey Bill! Thank you so much. I got the Hypervent thing and will hope it works, especially as I am inclined to venture to colder weather areas (snow, pines, love 'em; grew up and lived in hot humid places all my life, that explains it!). I know a double fiberglass hull can't "breathe" -- exactly as you said -- Will definitely be cracking open windows, even in freezing temps(?), using whatever fan it comes with, and perhaps getting a small dehumidifier (if anyone has recs, I'm all ears) as well! I am so excited. A bit nervous, honestly, but excited. At a time in my life where I must make a change and "seize the day" -- as they say. This will be a grand adventure, risk, etc. but . . .  life is now, right? Thank you again!

Ram 1500 Rebel 4x4

Now Sold

states.png

1 hour ago, SeaDawg said:

You might also want to look at the Froli system vs hypervent. The froli has great reviews in the boating community,  and also adds some "spring", like a box spring, but thinner.

We also leave our large dinette set up as a bed. Not sure where the leg is for the table, anymore.😄

We keep three bins of clothes and extra bedding/towels/ gear under the "permanent " bed, or two, and two backpacks and a small duffel.

I copied your post to a sheet I will be printing out, thank you so much! Topper was even what the Oliver sales guy suggested. I googled around and saw the Froli, looks interesting! If I *have* to, I will do that. I'm with you totally on leaving the large dinette as a bed. All day. With some attractive comforter and pillows. My black Lab (Mica) is  "slightly" spoiled and "requires" a sofa to spread out on. 80 lbs! This will be "cozy" huh? Heh. I am really glad to hear the details of what you are able to keep under the "permabed." Excellent info I have been wondering so much about what I have to get rid of to live FT and do this. I am already down to an 800 sf rental and half of the stuff is furniture going to Goodwill or will sell to a neighbor when the time comes. I am into the simple life now. Been there done that with all the "stuff," and I just wanna explore beautiful  areas of this country I've never seen with my dog and meet some nice people (Ollie owners?) along the way, for sure.

Thanks again!

Ram 1500 Rebel 4x4

Now Sold

states.png

• Moderators

I think you made a good choice with the Elite I.  Easy tow, should work well with your existing tow vehicle. 

Plenty of room for one and one dog (even a spoiled prince.👑😄).

We had several friends back in the day who fulltimed with a couple, and two dogs, in their elites.  

Edited by SeaDawg
  • Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

1 hour ago, SeaDawg said:

I think you made a good choice with the Elite I.  Easy tow, should work well with your existing tow vehicle. 

Plenty of room for one and one dog (even a spoiled prince.👑😄).

We had several friends back in the day who fulltimed with a couple, and two dogs, in their elites.  

Thanks so much for the encouragement! It means a lot. Been thru a rough few years and this is finally my time to try to enjoy some life while I can. Everyone here has been so kind and patient, SO appreciated. 

I am a bit nervous about things I’ve read a little about (mold, condensation, even one video showing WATER drizzling down the walls in an Ollie). But I will read on and learn from you all, and I hope to be able to a do whatever it takes to avoid these scary (and perhaps rare?) things. All suggestions for a newbie are MOST appreciated. This is just a fabulous forum. And the Olivers are well made and the overall view I get of them is extremelY positive! I wanted a 4-season trailer I can live in FT, and this looks like The One. I am so happy to be joining all you experienced Oliver owners and would love to attend rallies etc. Once I know what the heck I am doing!

Ram 1500 Rebel 4x4

Now Sold

states.png

• Moderators

Beyond a few essential safety things there is no need to know what the heck you are doing.  There is always help here and at the Oliver Service Department.  Rallies are a great place to meet new people and see what they have done to make camping with the Oliver even more enjoyable.  There is always new stuff to learn - enjoy the journey.

Bill

• Thanks 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

1 hour ago, topgun2 said:

Beyond a few essential safety things there is no need to know what the heck you are doing.  There is always help here and at the Oliver Service Department.  Rallies are a great place to meet new people and see what they have done to make camping with the Oliver even more enjoyable.  There is always new stuff to learn - enjoy the journey.

Bill

I can't WAIT to get out there and plan where and when to do a rally with you guys. That will be SO much fun! Counting the days til Jan 26. Watching the Oliver website videos about "delivery day" and all that. Hotel rec they make. And sales lets you stay in a campground on them the night of delivery, for the "shakedown" (?) testing, etc. Wonder if there is any way for me to stay a couple extra nights at the same place (near the Ollie factory), I'd pay my way of course, just in case. I am that new, I'd wanna be really sure I understand everything and drive around the area a bit towing it, etc. before I go back "home" to load up things and prepare to truly go FT in it. The video doesn't mention the name of the campground, or maybe I missed it. If anyone knows (I will Google too, near the factory), let me know. Then again, could be reserved out into 2025, haha. Thanks!

Ram 1500 Rebel 4x4

Now Sold

states.png

• Moderators

Check David Crockett State Park, 1400 W Gaines St, Lawrenceburg, TN 38464 - this is where that first "free" night has been in recent times.  There are other campgrounds that are even closer to Hohenwald, but, at last report these were simply not as nice.  And, there are boondocking sites as close as Oliver's own parking lot in the "old" Sales Office.

It is good to stick around for a few days.  Not only for you to become familiar with your new camper but to make sure all systems are functioning properly (this is called a "shakedown").

It is good to watch those videos.  Your delivery day will be exciting but also filed with more information than most people can easily absorb.  The more familiar you are with both the process and your new Oliver before you arrive to actually pick it up - the better.

Bill

• Thanks 1

Sher,

I would definitely check with sales as time gets closer.  My date is Nov 11 and they gave me a heads up that the new camping area at service may be open. Therefore, I would expect it to be ready by January.  Now, How long they would let you stay, I have no idea.  If needed, I feel confident the state park should have room in Jan. If you check your favorite campground apps, there are plenty in the broader area depending on which direction you will be headed.

Dave

David and Vicky | Burns, TN | 2020 LEII #686 | 2017 Ford F-250 4x4 6.2L

32 minutes ago, DCdude said:

Sher,

I would definitely check with sales as time gets closer.  My date is Nov 11 and they gave me a heads up that the new camping area at service may be open. Therefore, I would expect it to be ready by January.  Now, How long they would let you stay, I have no idea.  If needed, I feel confident the state park should have room in Jan. If you check your favorite campground apps, there are plenty in the broader area depending on which direction you will be headed.

Dave

Oliver made a reservation for us at Davy Crockett SP the night of our delivery.  I called the park and asked for an additional night, so we will be there two nights for "shakedown".  Very reasonable rates; with a Senior discount, less than $20/night.  Good to know that Oliver might have a camping area on location, in case we need to have any adjustments made before we leave the area.

• Thanks 1

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

• Moderators

If you're new to camping, towing, and the whole nine yards, I  would plan a week or two within reasonable driving distance of Hohenwald. Just in case you have questions or problems. 

There's a lot to learn, and absorb. Take your time. Tennessee is a beautiful state, with varied landscapes. 

Sherry 

• Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

On 10/10/2020 at 11:38 AM, topgun2 said:

Check David Crockett State Park, 1400 W Gaines St, Lawrenceburg, TN 38464 - this is where that first "free" night has been in recent times.  There are other campgrounds that are even closer to Hohenwald, but, at last report these were simply not as nice.  And, there are boondocking sites as close as Oliver's own parking lot in the "old" Sales Office.

It is good to stick around for a few days.  Not only for you to become familiar with your new camper but to make sure all systems are functioning properly (this is called a "shakedown").

It is good to watch those videos.  Your delivery day will be exciting but also filed with more information than most people can easily absorb.  The more familiar you are with both the process and your new Oliver before you arrive to actually pick it up - the better.

Bill

Bill, thanks! I plan to video (phone) size-maneageble chunks of the walkthru too. I know I won’t retain much, but I can watch later, and with this forum etc. I hope I’ll be ok! Yeah def wanna stay in the area several days, even if I have to pay for campground or whatever. I have to get used to towing etc. too!

Ram 1500 Rebel 4x4

Now Sold

states.png

23 hours ago, SeaDawg said:

If you're new to camping, towing, and the whole nine yards, I  would plan a week or two within reasonable driving distance of Hohenwald. Just in case you have questions or problems. 

There's a lot to learn, and absorb. Take your time. Tennessee is a beautiful state, with varied landscapes. 

Sherry 

Will DEFINITELY be staying close to Ollie factory for a week or so possibly! And take my time. TN is lovely and I just hope there are openings for Rv parking. Will reserve some based on your recs etc. and others’, SOON.

Ram 1500 Rebel 4x4

Now Sold

states.png

On 10/10/2020 at 1:34 PM, Susan Huff said:

Oliver made a reservation for us at Davy Crockett SP the night of our delivery.  I called the park and asked for an additional night, so we will be there two nights for "shakedown".  Very reasonable rates; with a Senior discount, less than $20/night.  Good to know that Oliver might have a camping area on location, in case we need to have any adjustments made before we leave the area.

Excellent! I will def look into this also! Thank you SO much.

Ram 1500 Rebel 4x4

Now Sold

states.png

• Moderators

I'd also recommend taking the time to watch (and rewatch) the videos on Oliver University.  That will give you some familiarity ahead of time, with many of the systems. It's not the same as having the trailer and equipment where you can touch and see it, but it's definitely a running head start before the orientation at pickup day.

• Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• Moderators

If you will be taking delivery alone, I think that you will find it difficult to try to take video at the same time all the other stuff is going on.  Noble idea but generally not too practical.  That was one of the reasons the University was created in the first place.

Bill 

23 hours ago, SeaDawg said:

I'd also recommend taking the time to watch (and rewatch) the videos on Oliver University.  That will give you some familiarity ahead of time, with many of the systems. It's not the same as having the trailer and equipment where you can touch and see it, but it's definitely a running head start before the orientation at pickup day.

Def watching all videos etc. As I can. I have a few months. Well, Oct, Nov, Dec, and most of Jan!

Ram 1500 Rebel 4x4

Now Sold

states.png

• 3 months later...
On 10/9/2020 at 3:26 PM, SeaDawg said:

@SeaDawg - Do you recommend a 1" or 2" topper?  Something like this?  I understand that we are trying to balance the comfort of a more traditional mattress and accessibility to the compartments underneath the benches.

https://amzn.to/38I6qye

Hull #735 - 2021 Elite 1 (Shorty)  |  2021 Toyota Tundra

• Moderators

Bill, coincidentally,  I'm shopping for a new topper. The 1.5 memory foam one we've used the last 3 or 4 seasons has developed a tear.

Latex is heavier to move around, but I'm guessing better cushioning than my previous inexpensive 1.5 inch memory foam. I've never had a latex topper. 1 inch is definitely more "manageable" when you have to go into the compartments. 

A full size topper is probably big enough. I  bought a queen because it was in sale, but I  had to cut it down.

For a mattress pad/cover, going over the topper, I recommend queen size, and tuck it in. Full size is really difficult for me to work with.

• Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

We have the Elite II but just wanted to say that I am so glad we did not get the full mattresses.  I am perfectly comfortable with the provided cushions, and my husband added a foam topper.  It's so nice to be able to easily lift up the cushions or even put them in the aisle to check on things underneath.  The hypervent is a definite plus.  We live in the humid SE and just returned from a trip.  We kept a constant eye on the humidity using a sensor.  One day had condensation on the windows,  but we kept things under control with a dehumidifier , cracking windows, and running the fan to pull air out whenever we did any cooking.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

"Creativity is the fun of putting together unexpected ideas."  Hazel Edwards