curbside

Reese

I apologize for such a simple question, but as a new Oliver owner, I am confused by one thing.  In the forums and the University, there is a regular reference to the curbside this or that.  Well, I really have no idea what is the "curbside" side of the trailer.  Is it the side with the door or the other side?  Is it the driver's side or the passenger side?  Why is it called the curbside?  We find ourselves parking our Oliver on many curbsides and often the curb is on the drivers side, but also is sometimes on the passenger side.  I must say, that this term "curbside" is very confusing.

• Moderators

It’s a good question.  I don’t know the origin but curbside is on the passenger side of your vehicle.  Street side is the drivers side. Or, on the trailer, the side with the door is curbside.  Now you know!  Mike

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

Any other description is completely dependent on which way the person is facing. Curbside never changes, it is always the side you normally park on, on a two way street  ie the passenger side of your car; it’s the side of the Ollie with the door. You should never park a trailer the wrong way on a street because the cabin door will open into traffic instead of onto a sidewalk.

This is similar to saying “the drivers side door” of a car, it is 100% clear which one you are referring to.

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Curb side - The safer side next to the curb or road edge (usually the passenger side) of a parked vehicle or in this case the Ollie you which step out of so you don’t get run over flat by an oncoming traffic.

Be safe!

Edited by Patriot
  • Thanks 1

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

• Moderators

That's why boaters use port and starboard. Doesn't matter which way the boat faces, it's the same designation.

Port on the Ollie is streetside. Starboard is curbside.

On a boat, facing forward, starboard is to the right, port is to the left. On a trailer, facing the tongue, streetwise is on the left, curbside is on the right. Think about going down the highway...

The door is curbside/starboard.

What I use to teach young sailors is, port and left are the same number of letters. Right and starboard are longer words. And, with intracoastal signage, home is New Jersey. Red, to the right, returning from sea. But, at least if you confuse things in an Ollie,  you won't likely run aground, or worse. 

It is, after all, kind of a boat on wheels. 😅

I probably added more info than you need. I apologize. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

20 hours ago, SeaDawg said:

That's why boaters use port and starboard. Doesn't matter which way the boat faces, it's the same designation.

Port on the Ollie is streetside. Starboard is curbside.

On a boat, facing forward, starboard is to the right, port is to the left. On a trailer, facing the tongue, streetwise is on the left, curbside is on the right. Think about going down the highway...

The door is curbside/starboard.

What I use to teach young sailors is, port and left are the same number of letters. Right and starboard are longer words. And, with intracoastal signage, home is New Jersey. Red, to the right, returning from sea. But, at least if you confuse things in an Ollie,  you won't likely run aground, or worse. 

It is, after all, kind of a boat on wheels. 😅

I probably added more info than you need. I apologize. 

As a child, our RV was a houseboat.  My dad taught us how to tie proper knots and use "nautical speak". He also told us the Left=Port trick.  Same thing for the color of the lights red=port (shorter words) and green=starboard (longer words)

Edited by Susan Huff

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

River paddling - WW mostly - river left/river right is determined from your downstream direction. Port = left.  Starboard = right - as long as your headed downstream.....However curbside in the bottom of the royal gorge was on the left - that's where the ice-cream stand was.....back in the day.

• Haha 1

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201