Insurance & Roadside Assist

GAP

I am lining up ducks for December pick up of E2.  Have questions based on your impressive experience(s) with insurance and roadside assistance:

-  Roadside:  I saw in a recent forum chain that some are happy with Good Sam and othres with AAA.  Have tracked other forums where it seems that GS  has gone through recent changes resulting in spotty customer results.  I am primarily investigating AAA or FMCA as a consequence but, who know???  Can find folks with legit complaints or enthusiasims about all.  Considering first hand experience and different formats, any thoughts?  Seems like some policies will cover trip interuption, medical evac, hotels/meals during lengthy repairs, allow for tows to prefered shops, etc...  

-  Insurance:  We are just starting down this road.  Have heard goood things about Hartford and Allstate.  Did you bundle with existing insurance policy?  I have progressive and it seems like an option.

-  Etended Warrantee:  Interestingly, some have opted to set up their own program by contributing the cost equivalent in an account.  Mixed results on that.  I would bet with a solid performer like Oliver and a well maintained TV, could be worth the gamle.  I have not yet looked into the new Oliver offering along these lines but it would be a hard apple to bite, caughing up a wad a cash to purchase a pricey EW for a brandy new trailer.  That said it sounds like the only way to lock in a reasonable cost is to purchase a EW when the vehicle is close to new and sign on for multiple years.

SOLD:  2021 Elite 2, Twin Bed, Lithium & Solar, 3000W Inverter

SOLD:  2022 Ford F150, 3.5L V6 EcoBoost, 4x4 Supercab, Trailer Tow Package

3 hours ago, GAP said:

I am lining up ducks for December pick up of E2.  Have questions based on your impressive experience(s) with insurance and roadside assistance:

-  Roadside:  I saw in a recent forum chain that some are happy with Good Sam and othres with AAA.  Have tracked other forums where it seems that GS  has gone through recent changes resulting in spotty customer results.  I am primarily investigating AAA or FMCA as a consequence but, who know???  Can find folks with legit complaints or enthusiasims about all.  Considering first hand experience and different formats, any thoughts?  Seems like some policies will cover trip interuption, medical evac, hotels/meals during lengthy repairs, allow for tows to prefered shops, etc...  

-  Insurance:  We are just starting down this road.  Have heard goood things about Hartford and Allstate.  Did you bundle with existing insurance policy?  I have progressive and it seems like an option.

-  Etended Warrantee:  Interestingly, some have opted to set up their own program by contributing the cost equivalent in an account.  Mixed results on that.  I would bet with a solid performer like Oliver and a well maintained TV, could be worth the gamle.  I have not yet looked into the new Oliver offering along these lines but it would be a hard apple to bite, caughing up a wad a cash to purchase a pricey EW for a brandy new trailer.  That said it sounds like the only way to lock in a reasonable cost is to purchase a EW when the vehicle is close to new and sign on for multiple years.

Personally, we only consider extended warranties for vehicles with complex electronic components/drive trains where repairs are likely to be costly.  We have a BMW X5 with a diesel engine.  Better than average quality/build/reliability, but repairs cost an arm and a leg.  We do purchase the warranty, but this is, as you say, a gamble.  Historically our warranty cost has paid off.  When the screen on our 2015 BMW X5 nav sys began failing, the cost to replace would have been around $3,000 parts and labor.  Even after paying the $250 deductible, we broke even on the extended warranty.  

As for an Oliver, there is no drive train to fail.  Of installed components, the appliances are most apt to be problematic.  You can, however, get extended warranties on many of them (this used to be the case. Check with Dometic, et al.)  I feel the one or two year warranty on most equipment will cover any manufacturing defects and early life failures.  In the long run, you are better off paying for any eventual repairs.  It depends on whether peace of mind is worth paying up front.

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

• 1 month later...
On 10/10/2020 at 2:32 PM, Susan Huff said:

Personally, we only consider extended warranties for vehicles with complex electronic components/drive trains where repairs are likely to be costly.  We have a BMW X5 with a diesel engine.  Better than average quality/build/reliability, but repairs cost an arm and a leg.  We do purchase the warranty, but this is, as you say, a gamble.  Historically our warranty cost has paid off.  When the screen on our 2015 BMW X5 nav sys began failing, the cost to replace would have been around $3,000 parts and labor.  Even after paying the $250 deductible, we broke even on the extended warranty.  

As for an Oliver, there is no drive train to fail.  Of installed components, the appliances are most apt to be problematic.  You can, however, get extended warranties on many of them (this used to be the case. Check with Dometic, et al.)  I feel the one or two year warranty on most equipment will cover any manufacturing defects and early life failures.  In the long run, you are better off paying for any eventual repairs.  It depends on whether peace of mind is worth paying up front.

After doing some additional research, we are taking your advice to heart on the extended warrantee stuff.  Seems like it's better in this circumstance just to "self insure" especially considering the reasons you've listed above.

Doing homework now on a policy to cover the Oliver.  Have a couple of quotes but it's hard to find good suggestions as travel trailer insurance seems to be a different animal than typical RV insurance.  Anyhoo, looking at Progressive, Good Sam and Farmers so just in going through the process, we should come up to speed.  Of course, any/all suggestions are welcome.

One thing we've come across are multiple suggestions that we get an additional roadside assistance policy even if one is offered by the insurance policy on the trailer.  The thought is that the specialized roadside companies do that best and offer more complete coverage including potentially covering associated costs like having to stay in a hotel, rent a car, towing longer distances, etc...  Seems like AAA may be the way to go there.

Thanks for the input.  Hope your maiden voyage next month goes well.

I have AAA RV coverage with 200 miles towing. I have never needed the Roadside Assistance for the trailer, so I can’t say how good it is. I have been an AAA member for many decades, and only had a couple of calls for a flat tire and a wreck, both were not answered for many hours .....😢 in both cases I paid for a tow truck and then got reimbursed by AAA. No worries, it just pisses you off at the time.

I have full coverage with Progressive for $435 per year, and declined their RA coverage ($17) since I already had the AAA coverage. Be sure to look for full replacement (for 5 years) then after that they will pay you what you paid for the trailer. More than fair I think.

Of course rates vary wildly by state and city, your past RV experience, and if it is stored at a risky remote location or in your secure garage. Mine is out of sight in an attached RV bay.

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Good info John.  I am probably going with Progressive as well so it helps to know that one can decline the RA for the trailer.  We are doing the same policy as you with AAA.  Also good to know that one can cancel their call if you find a quicker tow source on your own and try to get reimbursed for those expenses.  Our customer service person stated that those attempts sometimes get denied.

• Thanks 1

• Moderators

We've had the good Sam's coverage on the trailer , both insurance and roadside, for over a decade. Have never, fortunately,  needed the tug and tow roadside or towing, but I  do know others have found it to be good, in years past. The premium coverage also covers us in Canada when we do Alaska deliveries. There is no mileage limit, just closest qualified repair shop. That can be a long ways in the Yukon.

Good Sam's gives a credit for layup time. We call in when we store the trailer, and call in again when we get back on the road in the spring. 

We've used the roadside for the vehicles a number of times. Response time has been good. 

Edited by SeaDawg

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators
  • Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• 3 weeks later...

Insurance - received the vin today, and am starting the registration process. I am a Good Sam member (and AAA roadside assistance), so decided to look at the Good Sam RV insurance. The insurance agent at Good Sam suggested National General for $473.76 per year, paid in full. He said that the policy included full dollar replacement, which means he said that the full $62,000 cost of the trailer will be reimbursed regardless of how old the trailer is when the claim is made. 

My other vehicles are insured by State Farm and California Casualty. Any suggestions or observations regarding the trailer insurance?

Thanks

John

2014 Toyota Tacoma 4x4

2021 Elite I #758       

image.png.d972b5fc86270818b1e0f030bfaa433a.pngMap of Provinces I Visited

• Moderators

Interesting. When we got our GoodSam's policy, I  think the full replacement was for the first three or five years only. I'll have to look at our actual policy again. Pretty sure GMAC was the underwriter back in 2008. I  don't have any complaints about GoodSam's. They've kept the price fair, for 13 years.

Well, a small complaint on the roadside assistance policy. But it's just an annoyance. They like to renew you 90 days ahead of time, and send a bunch of emails.... 

Edited by SeaDawg

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

I just Progessive Insurance and they had two RV plans. One Progressive plan is just for the RV. The other plan is for your tow vehicle and the RV.

I found them to be very competitive.

Like all insurance companies, make sure to ask how they determine the value of the RV in an accident.

• Thanks 1

2018 Oliver Elite II, Twin Bed, Hull #354 

2024 RAM 1500, 4 x 4; Gas. 5.7L V8 Hemi MDS VVT Torque; 3.21 rear axle ratio

Maine