GPS Recommendations

connor77

I'm researching GPS units and would like feedback from owners on whether they have dedicated GPS units and, if so, would they recommend them and why.  Also, if there are suitable apps for iphones that people would recommend I'd be interested in these too.  Thanks in advance.

I searched GPS and nothing returned.  If there are existing threads for me to reference please just let me know.

ALCTKYMENHNYNCPATNVTVAWVsm.jpg2021 Elite 2 Hull # 832 "Bucket List"

2021 F250 7.3L Gas / 4.30 AR

• Moderators

type "garmin" in the search box for a start.

I use a dedicated GPS unit because of its larger screen - yes, I could use my tablet but that device is already being used for my backup camera.  I also have navigation in my TV but I tend to like the features of the dedicated GPS better and it is nice to have the backup.

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

After a lot of research, we ordered the new Garmin RV 890.  $100 more than the previous RV model, because it has an 8" screen.  I like that the RV models Have campground specific info built in.  Will post updates when we receive.

The only hesitation I had, in ordering this model, is that it has a larger ball mount.  Will need to get an adapter to get it to work with aftermarket mounts.

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

30 minutes ago, Susan Huff said:

I like that the RV models Have campground specific info built in.  Will post updates when we receive.

That should be a good unit but I bet you a nice steak dinner that you turn off the RV warning nanny after a week. Maybe if you had a 14 ft tall motorhome, but with the Ollie, it is just noise. The campground database isn’t so great either, and the icons clutter up the screen. Many of them are never need anyway with the composting toilet, since you will be “dump station independent”.

Please post a report here.

If you want to load individual 24k state topo maps as an additional map option, let me know, and we can start a discussion about that. Be sure to play with the Voice options, my daughter prefers the New Zealand one. You can download custom or funny ones too, but that seems a little silly IMHO. But I do have to admit a Tom Selllck or Jessica Rabbit voice saying “Turn right in three hundred feet” might be cool.

This will give you a head start. .... https://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-load-maps-on-my-garmin-gps-unit/

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies
  • Haha 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

32 minutes ago, John E Davies said:

That should be a good unit but I bet you a nice steak dinner that you turn off the RV warning nanny after a week. Maybe if you had a 14 ft tall motorhome, but with the Ollie, it is just noise. The campground database isn’t so great either, and the icons clutter up the screen. Many of them are never need anyway with the composting toilet, since you will be “dump station independent”.

Please post a report here.

If you want to load individual 24k state topo maps as an additional map option, let me know, and we can start a discussion about that. Be sure to play with the Voice options, my daughter prefers the New Zealand one. You can download custom or funny ones too, but that seems a little silly IMHO. But I do have to admit a Tom Selllck or Jessica Rabbit voice saying “Turn right in three hundred feet” might be cool.

This will give you a head start. .... https://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-load-maps-on-my-garmin-gps-unit/

John Davies

Spokane WA

Thanks for the tips . . . . . as for the RV "Nanny", in the newer RV specific models you can use it in Car mode and not get the height, weight, and other restrictions.  In comparison to older Garmins, I think the screens are more simplified and navigating through the menus is a bit more intuitive.  Anything will be better than the Becker Pilot that came installed in our MB Sprinter camper van.

Yes, let's start a topo discussion.  And, for sure I will be choosing Tom Selleck as my navigator!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ray and Susan Huff

21 hours ago, gatorewc said:

I saw this yesterday.  Very informative.  We use our phone.  Just something to thing about for the future.....

We watched this when we were deciding between this and other Garmin GPS models.  Chose mainly for the larger screen, but also for Garmin reputation.  In addition, I have found that purchasing the latest technology is good practice.   Since this model is a new release, prices are the same no mater where you purchase (most likely someone will have a Black Friday sale; oh well).  We ordered direct from Garmin, and there's a 1-2 week delay in shipping.  I did use their customer support while planning the purchase and it was great. 

Will be using the Garmin as much as possible before we head to Hohenwald so we will be accustomed to its features.  I already have a rough out of our trip route, but will also try the Garmin trip planning feature.  I'm curious to see if Google Maps can send to the Garmin from our computer.  It does to our SUV nav, which is Google based (BMW).

Will report back once we have had a chance to play with the Garmin a bit.

Edited by Susan Huff

Ray and Susan Huff

I've just downloaded the TomTom Go app to my iPhone. It offers  downloading of maps for what appears to be solid offline use and they're continuing to funnel features from their dedicated units  into  the app (things like  heads ups on approaching things like gas stations in a sidebar etc.). I haven't used it yet so can't give a review but from specs it looks like it may  be  a good phone based option for navigation while in cell dead zones  (which gets tough  any time you  are even diverting from a route that you  set while connected, let alone  when you're starting up in the  morning w/o signal. 

I like Waze when connected as it has nice crowdsourced alerts, knows sneaky back routes around traffic jams, and does half decent predictive routing taking into account typical  traffic volumes ahead of you in  space  and time (one of the nice things about leaning  heavily  on massive cloud computing  capability).

I have a very old Garmin that is still useful  when offline but I'm hoping that TomTom Go will make it irrelevant as anything other than backup  in  case of  hardware  failure. The Garmin is still a pretty decent  unit - one of their first forays into  multitouch screen interface with half decent voice control. I've  found the voice  control to be moderately useful  particularly  when  driving alone. 

• Like 1

Jim and  Yanna, Woodinville WA

2004 Ford E250 camper conversion

Oliver Elite II hull #709

5 hours ago, Jim_Oker said:

half decent voice control. I've  found the voice  control to be moderately useful  particularly  when  driving alone. 

LOL, my RV660LMT is indeed half useful. “Stop route”, any of the canned commands, work 95% of the time without having to repeat yourself. It is the next step that often tanks, completely. 

“Find city.”

”What city please?”

”Republic Washington.”

”Did you say Tacoma Washington?”

”Republic Washington.”

”Did you say Wilmington Delaware?”

She continues to give increasingly ridiculous suggestions...

”#%*+#£#!!!!!”

Types in REPUBLIC while trying not to crash.....

There have been some pretty harsh comments directed at Ms Gerty Garmin. On the one hand, it is more than a little entertaining and breaks the boredom.  On the second hand, it is a distraction. On the gripping hand, it is dangerous. But I am sure the voice recognition firmware continues to get better.

I really would prefer, in my next vehicle, to have Apple CarPlay sync with my iPad Mini 4, so I can use GAIA. But Apple forces you to use a phone instead. GAIA on a phone is harder, less intuitive, and there is way less storage for maps. Apple’s decision doesn’t make any sense at all.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies
  • Haha 2

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

6 hours ago, John E Davies said:

the next step that often tanks, completely

I've had somewhat better luck, but  also  have spent time testing even worse speech reco software and learning how to adapt myself  to its foibles w/o dumping too much  of  my cognitive capacity into  the  task (again, years of training from  work in  the  software industry I'm afraid). But yes at least on my Garmin unit it's not fantastic quality reco - it's fairly typical of mid-late-oughts second tier speech reco. And unlike Siri it has no cloud processing assistance (with the cloud you  can use more modern tools such as deep neural  nets  or their variants, which have helped drive some significant improvements  in things like speech  recognition, image understanding, and language translation, but  these require a LOT of both memory and processing power...). And on  top of the reco quality,  you have to understand the speech  command hierarchy the device is expecting - very  early-oughts again.

When we were using it regularly my wife and I  did have fun experimenting with which other phrases might be reco'd as the "voice command" start phrase

Edited by Jim_Oker
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, topgun2 said:

Gee, I sure do wish I knew what you two are talking about! 😁

Just picture the captain of the starship Enterprise asking the  computer  for  "tea, earl grey, hot" and getting a plate of succotash from the food machine.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...

Susan Huff - just wondering if you might have received your 890 and, if so, any initial feedback on it if you've had a chance to play with it? 

Based on how many trailers have been sold recently I'm sure there are others that are interested in your feedback.  

• Like 1

One thing I have found is that purchasing a new vehicle with a factory GPS is pretty much paying a big price for it. Most new vehicles will cost you $4000 to $6000 more for the vehicle that has the factory GPS, now yes there is a lot of other stuff in the upgrade package, but not always worth the price you pay for it.  We recently looked at two vehicles, a Acura MDX and the Lexus RX, both vehicles in there base model are very well equipped, but for $6000 more you can get a GPS and other upgrades that just don't add that much to the base model, or $6000 worth. Plus upgrades with most auto  manufactures are going to cost you to upgrade, but buy a Garman GPS and they come with lifetime upgrades for free. Also in most cases you can't use your factory GPS when the vehicle is in motion, that means pull over and stop. All being said for $250 I purchase a Garman 7" screen that does much more then a factory auto unit. I realize there are many variations with each auto manufacture and some may work better for you and priced accordingly, but in general you pay more for a auto manufacture unit with less features then a stand alone unit.

trainman

• Like 1

2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.

3 hours ago, Trainman said:

One thing I have found is that purchasing a new vehicle with a factory GPS is pretty much paying a big price for it. Most new vehicles will cost you $4000 to $6000 more for the vehicle that has the factory GPS, now yes there is a lot of other stuff in the upgrade package, but not always worth the price you pay for it.  We recently looked at two vehicles, a Acura MDX and the Lexus RX, both vehicles in there base model are very well equipped, but for $6000 more you can get a GPS and other upgrades that just don't add that much to the base model, or $6000 worth. Plus upgrades with most auto  manufactures are going to cost you to upgrade, but buy a Garman GPS and they come with lifetime upgrades for free. Also in most cases you can't use your factory GPS when the vehicle is in motion, that means pull over and stop. All being said for $250 I purchase a Garman 7" screen that does much more then a factory auto unit. I realize there are many variations with each auto manufacture and some may work better for you and priced accordingly, but in general you pay more for a auto manufacture unit with less features then a stand alone unit.

trainman

Yep - I have  yet to find an installed GPS worth a darn. Let the auto manufacturers build the vehicle - I'll let Garman and the group build the GPS units. The one in my GMC is infuriating.  And for a $$$ update it will really tick me off.....

Mostly, I just use the cell phone - G works just fine. 

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

On 10/30/2020 at 5:27 AM, connor77 said:

Susan Huff - just wondering if you might have received your 890 and, if so, any initial feedback on it if you've had a chance to play with it? 

Based on how many trailers have been sold recently I'm sure there are others that are interested in your feedback.  

Just received it yesterday.  There was about a 2-week wait for availability, but once shipped it arrived in a couple of days.  We purchased direct from Garmin as prices are currently the same from all vendors.  For $100 less, the RV 780 would have given us similar functionality, but we opted for the newer 890 with the much larger screen.

We haven't used it yet, other than powering it up, quickly browsing features, and downloading updates; software was current, though it did download a map update.  You should be able to set the device to notify you when software updates are available;  as with a smart phone, there are layers of customization settings or you can just use the defaults. I found the icon based interface to be intuitive (dependent on your tech experience); I only wish the maps showed the satellite imagery we've become accustomed to with the Google Maps based Sat Nav in our BMW; perhaps there are map overlays you can download. 

The 890 has icons linking to RV locations (dump stations, repair shops, campgrounds, national parks) as well as the usual fuel stations, restaurants, rest areas, medical facilities, etc., making it quick to add locations to your route.  Yes, you could locate these with your phone (if you have cell service), but then you have to enter the locations manually.  You can easily switch from RV to car navigation if you don't need RV specific features.  I haven't looked in depth yet, so I don't know if you can customize the menus to only show features you want.

A few thoughts, thus far:

1. The RV890 provides real-time traffic (where available) and weather information, through the Garmin app you must install on your smart phone.  I don't know if this capability is dependent on cell reception or is satellite based; probably requires the cell signal.  Pairing the GPS and my Samsung S10e was a bit confusing; while the Gramin recognized and readily connected to our home network, it did not "see" my phone (nothing new as pairing communication devices is always a challenge).  I think the trick is to make sure, before you do the pairing, both devices have Bluetooth turned on.  I had success with pairing from the phone to the Garmin.
  2. Be aware that the 890 comes with a 22mm mount, probably to better support the larger-than-usual screen; most after-market mounts have a 17mm attachment.  Because of its size, the screen blocks a good deal of the driver's view of the road when attached to the windshield, as we knew it would.  In addition, by attaching the suction mount on the steeply sloping windshield of our F-350, the GPS could only be used in landscape orientation.  We are going to try using a CD slot mount.  This will place the screen low enough to not block the view, but high enough the driver doesn't have to look down to navigate.  Prior to purchase, we found a work-around: the 890 has an AMPS 22mm female adapter mounted to the back of the magnetic mount; this can be reduced by removing it (held by 4 screws) and replacing it with this 17mm adapter and attaching the unit to this CD slot mount.   Another option is a "bean bag" mount placed on the dash; not as ideal but there would be less obstruction than with the screen mounted on the glass.  I'm just not sure the arm on the bean bag is high enough to accommodate the larger screen; this method would also restrict orientation to landscape.

I will update after we take the 890 for a test drive; the CD mount will be here sometime next week.

Update #1

• Re suitability of the bean bag mount: I asked, on Amazon, the distance from the ball to the top of the bean bag; a user reported 2.5-3".  I think this is just enough for the 890 to fit.  However, as I mentioned previously, landscape/portrait functionality would be restricted to landscape.  If the CD slot mount doesn't work out, this will be "plan "B".
  • The 890 has a different mounting than previous Garmin GPS units,  The back of the unit has a powered magnetic mount, meaning the 12v power cord connects to the mount, rather than the device itself.  The ball on whatever accessory mount you choose attached to the magnetic mount on the back of the screen. This allows the screen to be easily removed from the mount which is handy if the co-pilot needs to make changes/adjustments to the route.  When taken off the magnetic mount, the GPS will run on internal battery for about 1 hr.  The battery recharges when the unit is again attached to the powered mount.  This makes removal of the device much easier than wrestling it off the ball/socket attachment.

Still haven't taken it for a test run.  We've become so accustomed to the Covid "Stay-at-Home" environment that it's hard to think of places to go 😖  Maybe tomorrow.; stay tuned.

Edited by Susan Huff
  • Thanks 2

Ray and Susan Huff

5 minutes ago, BackofBeyond said:

Yep - I have  yet to find an installed GPS worth a darn. Let the auto manufacturers build the vehicle - I'll let Garman and the group build the GPS units. The one in my GMC is infuriating.  And for a $$$ update it will really tick me off.....

Mostly, I just use the cell phone - G works just fine. 

BMW is the best we've seen; Mercedes, not so great.

Ray and Susan Huff

2 hours ago, Susan Huff said:

Just received it yesterday.  There was about a 2-week wait for availability, but once shipped it arrived in a couple of days.  We purchased direct from Garmin as prices are currently the same from all vendors.  For $100 less, the RV 780 would have given us similar functionality, but we opted for the newer 890 with the much larger screen.

We haven't used it yet, other than powering it up, quickly browsing features, and downloading updates; software was current, though it did download a map update.  You should be able to set the device to notify you when software updates are available;  as with a smart phone, there are layers of customization settings or you can just use the defaults. I found the icon based interface to be intuitive (dependent on your tech experience); I only wish the maps showed the satellite imagery we've become accustomed to with the Google Maps based Sat Nav in our BMW; perhaps there are map overlays you can download. 

The 890 has icons linking to locations (dump stations, repair shops, campgrounds, national parks) as well as the usual fuel stations, restaurants, rest areas, medical facilities, etc., making it quick to add locations to your route.  Yes, you could locate these with your phone (if you have cell service), but then you have to enter the locations manually.  You can easily switch from RV to car navigation if you don't need RV specific features.  I haven't looked in depth yet, so I don't know if you can customize the menus to only show features you want.

A few thoughts, thus far:

1. The RV890 provides real-time traffic (where available) and weather information, through the Garmin app you must install on your smart phone.  I don't know if this capability is dependent on cell reception or is satellite based; probably requires the cell signal.  Pairing the GPS and my Samsung S10e was a bit confusing; while the Gramin recognized and readily connected to our home network, it did not "see" my phone (nothing new as pairing communication devices is always a challenge).  I think the trick is to make sure, before you do the pairing, both devices have Bluetooth turned on.  I had success with pairing from the phone to the Garmin.
  2. Be aware that the 890 comes with a 22mm mount, probably to better support the larger-than-usual screen; most after-market mounts have a 17mm attachment.  Because of its size, the screen blocks a good deal of the driver's view of the road when attached to the windshield, as we knew it would.  In addition, by attaching the suction mount on the steeply sloping windshield of our F-350, the GPS could only be used in landscape orientation.  We are going to try using a CD slot mount.  This will place the screen low enough to not block the view, but high enough the driver doesn't have to look down to navigate.  Prior to purchase, we found a work-around: the 890 has an AMPS female adapter mounted to the back of the magnetic mount; this can be reduced by removing it (held by 4 screws) and replacing it with this 17mm adapter and attaching the unit to this CD slot mount.   Another option is a "bean bag" mount placed on the dash; not as ideal but would be less obstruction than having the screen on the glass.  I'm just not sure the arm on the bean bag is high enough to accommodate the larger screen; this method would also restrict orientation to landscape.

I will update after we take the 890 for a test drive; the CD mount will be here sometime next week.

You already have a wealth of knowledge about it without having used it!  Thanks for all of the great info.  Looking forward to hearing from you again when you've had a chance to use it and have figured out the best way to mount it.  Would be interested in seeing pics too.  We still have lots of time so no rush.

Your delivery date is very close.  My wife and I are excited for you.  We've also benefitted from all of your research and thoughtful posts so thank you again.  🙂

• Like 2

• Moderators

On our Volvo XC70 we used one of those CD slot mounting adaptors.  It worked well except that on a long trip or a trip over rough roads the adaptor would eventually work itself out of the CD slot and the unit would fall to the floor.

To fix this issue I "smeared" some E6000 (Shoe Goo would work too) on the parts that came into contact with the upper and lower slots of the CD.  It doesn't take much - just something to help improve the grip.

Bill 

• Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

4 minutes ago, topgun2 said:

On our Volvo XC70 we used one of those CD slot mounting adaptors.  It worked well except that on a long trip or a trip over rough roads the adaptor would eventually work itself out of the CD slot and the unit would fall to the floor.

To fix this issue I "smeared" some E6000 (Shoe Goo would work too) on the parts that came into contact with the upper and lower slots of the CD.  It doesn't take much - just something to help improve the grip.

Bill 

The mount I'm looking at has a lever that tightens the tabs that insert into the slot. 

I have one in my car that came with adhesive pads to adjust the fit of the tabs, but didn't need to use them; the car mount also has the lever to make it tight. It hasn't worked loose with my cell phone.  Hoping this type of mount will work for the Garmin.  If not, we'll try a bean bag friction mount on the dash.  The Ford dash has a recessed area in the center that will hold the bean bag nicely, but it will block the driver's view some, but not as much as the suction mount on the glass.

Ray and Susan Huff

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Susan Huff said:

The mount I'm looking at has a lever that tightens the tabs that insert into the slot. 

Yep - same one.  It even comes out of the box with what appear to be little "rubber" inserts that are supposed to prevent it from sliding out once that thumb screw is tightened.  But - mind my words.  Or, perhaps it is only the Volvo's that are that slippery?🤪

• Haha 1

Garmin Overlander - No personal experience. I was really interested in this until I read the specs and some actual off grid reviews; if you are a “wanna be” overlander this will get your feet wet. But for actual navigation in the boonies, the maps are sorely lacking. GAIA on a tablet offers way more options, like NFS maps and MVUM (motor vehicle use maps) layers, which are critical. 

https://www.lifestyleoverland.com/garmin-overlander-review/

BTW on many Garmin road gps units you can easily load state 24k topo maps. You don’t need to pay $700 for that feature....

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies
  • Thanks 2
  • Like 2