FT w dog(s) — leaving them in Ollie

Moonlight Mile

Hi all,

My excitement at getting an Ollie I and going FT with my Lab had me googling. And I came upon things about monitors etc., so your beloved pet — you HAVE to leave them in the Ollie alone at some points, right? — are safe.

I am very interested in hearing how any FT people w a dog etc. insure that their pet is ok when they run to the laundromat, the market, wherever, and have to leave Fido alone in the Ollie.

Temps can change. Power can go off (whether at a campground or wherever, right?). Too hot, too cold, a lot of things. My dog is my angel, my life. I will do whatever I must to insure his safety and comfort when I have to go “out” without him. Just saw some “monitoring” systems for this sort of thing but not sure how they work (wifi? cell?) and I don’t mind AT ALL paying for a subscription for that sort of thing but if any of you have suggestions or recs, I am all ears here. Thanks!

2021 Elite 1 -- Hull #731

Ram 1500 Rebel 4x4

Now Sold

states.png

I use this in our Sprinter.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M1OPOZB/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_porHFbQRBV7JV

The van is black and heats up like you wouldn't believe without the AC running. The only downside to the Temp Stick is that you need to have access to cell signal because it relies on wifi to transmit temperature data. And even if you camp with some signal (and have a cellular modem), it doesn't do you any good if where you are going without the pups puts you out of cell range....that happens all the time on some of our cycling adventures, so it isn't a Fail-Safe system. 

In reality, when we are out of cell range, we don't leave the dogs in the van unless it is parked 100% in the shade and we can leave the windows open and the Maxx air fan going.

If someone has a better system I'd love to hear about it. 

• Thanks 1

MaryBeth
Boulder, CO

2022 Elite II #953
TV: 2021 Ford Expedition Max Platinum, Max Tow Package

COKSMONESDTNUTWYmed.jpg

• Moderator+

We have traveled 130,000 miles in our two different Oliver's over the past 13 years. We have always had 3 dogs with us, although only one of our current three has made every trip. Unlike your Oliver you are not dealing with a car or van that will heat up dramatically. If the outside temperature is above 45° F and under 85° F, the inside of the Oliver will be very comfortable for them.  If the temp is toward the upper end we will leave the Maxxfan running and the windows open a bit. We always leave plenty of water. Our personal rule is that if the temp is above 75° F we will not leave them in the truck. If it is extremely hot (>90° F) we will leave the AC running on the generator. The longest we've ever left them was about 13 hours while we rode the train from Williams up to the Grand Canyon and back. They were fine and very happy to see us and ready to go pee. Usually, it's not more than 2-3 hours.

This issue has been cussed and discussed several times here and in other places through the years.  As technology has progressed there probably have been some electronic solutions, I'm just not personally familiar with any good ones. Please follow up with your findings.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

22 hours ago, VBistro said:

I use this in our Sprinter.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M1OPOZB/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_porHFbQRBV7JV

The van is black and heats up like you wouldn't believe without the AC running. The only downside to the Temp Stick is that you need to have access to cell signal because it relies on wifi to transmit temperature data. And even if you camp with some signal (and have a cellular modem), it doesn't do you any good if where you are going without the pups puts you out of cell range....that happens all the time on some of our cycling adventures, so it isn't a Fail-Safe system. 

In reality, when we are out of cell range, we don't leave the dogs in the van unless it is parked 100% in the shade and we can leave the windows open and the Maxx air fan going.

If someone has a better system I'd love to hear about it. 

I saw this system and it’s on the list for sure. Thank you VERY much for first-hand experience/info!

• Like 1

Ram 1500 Rebel 4x4

Now Sold

states.png

19 hours ago, ScubaRx said:

We have traveled 130,000 miles in our two different Oliver's over the past 13 years. We have always had 3 dogs with us, although only one of our current three has made every trip. Unlike your Oliver you are not dealing with a car or van that will heat up dramatically. If the outside temperature is above 45° F and under 85° F, the inside of the Oliver will be very comfortable for them.  If the temp is toward the upper end we will leave the Maxxfan running and the windows open a bit. We always leave plenty of water. Our personal rule is that if the temp is above 75° F we will not leave them in the truck. If it is extremely hot (>90° F) we will leave the AC running on the generator. The longest we've ever left them was about 13 hours while we rode the train from Williams up to the Grand Canyon and back. They were fine and very happy to see us and ready to go pee. Usually, it's not more than 2-3 hours.

This issue has been cussed and discussed several times here and in other places through the years.  As technology has progressed there probably have been some electronic solutions, I'm just not personally familiar with any good ones. Please follow up with your findings.

Thank you! I searched here — maybe not the right terms — and came up empty, which surprised me. I will try again.

Ram 1500 Rebel 4x4

Now Sold

states.png

On 10/12/2020 at 11:53 PM, ScubaRx said:

We have traveled 130,000 miles in our two different Oliver's over the past 13 years. We have always had 3 dogs with us, although only one of our current three has made every trip. Unlike your Oliver you are not dealing with a car or van that will heat up dramatically. If the outside temperature is above 45° F and under 85° F, the inside of the Oliver will be very comfortable for them.  If the temp is toward the upper end we will leave the Maxxfan running and the windows open a bit. We always leave plenty of water.

Good to know, and as I suspected.  The van is black and not nearly as well insulated as an Ollie.  Looking forward to a little more "wiggle room" re: the dogs than we have now!

MaryBeth
Boulder, CO

2022 Elite II #953
TV: 2021 Ford Expedition Max Platinum, Max Tow Package

COKSMONESDTNUTWYmed.jpg

• Moderators

As Scubarx said,, if we are camping  in the summer with the trailer in tow, the oliver is the safe place for the dog, not the truck.

Bath window and vent open, bath door propped open, fan on. The trailer is secure. The dog is comfy.

I will say, we don't travel out  west in extreme summer desert heat. 

Edited by SeaDawg
Typos
  • Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

16 minutes ago, SeaDawg said:

As Scubarx said,, if we are camping  in the summer with the trailer in tow, the oliver is the safe place for the dog, not the truck.

Bath window and vent open, bath door propped open, fan on. The trailer is secure. The dig is comfy.

I will say, we don't travel out  west in extreme summer desert heat. 

SeaDawg

If humans aren’t allowed to ride in travel trailers while in tow, I think the same goes for animals. The Tv would be a safer place. Have you ever seen a trailer trailer in a roll over crash?  Nothing left to it. Maybe not the same results with the Oliver. Tv heavy damage but stayed intact. I could be wrong. My opinion only.

Grant  2022 GMC Denali 2500 HD 2019  Elite 11😎

• Moderators

Landrover, 

I certainly wasn't talking about while towing. Only at camp. 

Obviously,  our (princess) dog rides in her prime seat in the back seat of the truck, while traveling. 

I guess I should have made that more clear?

I would never travel with my dog in the trailer. I'm talking about safer place, truck or parked trailer,  going to the store, laundry, etc., which I thought was the topic.

Edited by SeaDawg

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

1 minute ago, SeaDawg said:

Landrover, 

I certainly wasn't talking about while towing. Only at camp. 

Obviously,  our (princess) dog rides in her prime seat in the back seat of the truck, while traveling. 

I guess I should have made that more clear?

SeaDawg 

my apology’s  mis read when you said with the trailer in tow. My mistake 

Grant  2022 GMC Denali 2500 HD 2019  Elite 11😎

If possible, park the Oliver so it is in the shade during the warmer part of the say, close the shades.  Make sure the dogs have water available.

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg