50 amp to 30 Amp adapter

ThomB87

Anyone have experience camping with a 50a to 30 adapter?  Booked a site a couple of weeks out and it only has a 50 amp hookup. I have an adapter that I have use in the past with another camper. I am guessing it only configures the contacts.  But wondering about the Ollie's Progressive Industries surge protector. I know the progressive is finicky about low voltage and flux in the current.  Will it throw an error code? Or will it be just fine plug into 50 amps? Thanks in advance for any insights. 

• Like 1

Bill Thomas 2019 Elite II Hull # 534

2020 Chevrolet Silverado HD 2500

7 minutes ago, ThomB87 said:

Anyone have experience camping with a 50a to 30 adapter?  Booked a site a couple of weeks out and it only has a 50 amp hookup. I have an adapter that I have use in the past with another camper. I am guessing it only configures the contacts.  But wondering about the Ollie's Progressive Industries surge protector. I know the progressive is finicky about low voltage and flux in the current.  Will it throw an error code? Or will it be just fine plug into 50 amps? Thanks in advance for any insights. 

Use one quite a bit. No problems. The PI doesn't notice it and not sure it's all that finicky. It does what it's supposed to do, quite well.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

A 50 amp plug has: a ground, a neutral, and two 120 v lines.

A 30 amp plug has: A ground, A neutral, and one 120 v line. The adapter has eliminated one 120 v line, just what the Oliver was designed for.

If you was to see the inside of the electrical box that has a 50 amp, 30 amp, and a 20 amp plug, you would only see 4 wires coming in to feed them. That wire carries all the power to the box. There is NOT a separate circuit for each outlet. That box is also only designed to feed ONE camper at a time. If you see a CG with only one plug in the box, it is either an older CG with older equipment, or a CG that is trying to eliminate people plugging into more than one plug at a time and overloading the circuit.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1