Best 3/4 Ton Pickup to Tow an Elite 2

Nicole

Our 2021 GMC 2500 Turbo-Diesel is on order and will have the concealed steps; glad to hear someone else thinks those are a good idea.  I drove a 2020 diesel and could not believe how quiet and was surprised how well it rode compared to our 2017 Sierra 1500.  

Right this minute I am looking at receiver hitches.  I was going to purchase an Andersen (non WD) when I saw the "Weigh Safe 2-Ball Mount w/Built-In Scale" online at eTrailer.  Now I am SERIOUSLY considering that one.  I own an Aluma brand flatbed trailer which I use to haul my Polaris General, and the built-in hitch scale would be real handy for easy load distribution.  I just need to determine how much drop (4", 6", 8" or 10" are available) that I will need for "R-Villa" (our new Ollie) when it comes.  

Any advice?

• Like 1

2021 Legacy Elite II  Twin Beds   "R-Villa" ~ Hull #803 

2021 GMC Denali HD, 6.6 L Duramax Turbo-Diesel, 10-speed Allison

ALARILINIAKYMNMSMOMTOHSDTNWIWYsm.jpg

3 hours ago, SeaDawg said:

Oh, no! 

Running boards are really great, though I  wish I had power ones that concealed.

For my birthday, a year ago, Paul installed aftermarket running boards on my Silverado to make it easier for my mom. She loves them. 

The only down side with the concealing running boards, is when they conceal you loose the parking lot “door ding” protection. The standard running boards in my experience reeeally help prevent door dings from really careless people swinging their doors open.

Our running boards protrude out far enough that the only ding will be on the door slung open by someone who is just careless.

Just another view point. 😊

Edited by Patriot
  • Like 3

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

21 hours ago, topgun2 said:

Ghost - 

Nice!  I really like that chrome on the sides of the body.

Be a bit careful in using those running boards though.  And, never put tire dressing or "protectorant" type fluids on them - don't ask me how I know this 🤪.

Bill

Thanks Bill,

I applied that body side chrome trim myself, and it is not all that difficult.  Just need tape to stretch a straight line, wax cleaner, and a careful eye.  I had it on my previous 2001 Dodge Ram diesel and enjoyed the look.

Are you implying that the dressing on the running boards will cause your foot to slip?  I don’t dress the running boards at all....but never thought of losing traction.  Good tip, thanks.

Steve R.

ARLAPATNTXVAWVsm.jpg

2015 Oliver Elite 2

Hull #106

2019 Ford F-250 Super Duty, 6.7 diesel 

• Moderators

Steve - 

Yep - it makes those "rubber" parts on the running board very slippery for quite some time.

I've found mine difficult to keep looking sharp.  Grit gets into the area between each of those rubber parts and the chrome.  Even water after a wash is difficult to get out of those same areas.  But, when they are cleaned and shined they sure do look good - it just takes a bunch more work than it should.

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

For reasons mentioned - I prefer the standard - non moving. One less thing to quit working, adds a little more protection, and I actually like what they add to the Trucks looks. 

And for the title of this thread -the best TV - 3/4 ton - is with out a doubt - one that's paid in full!!

RB

Come on Spring - I am so done with winter - and yet it is just a TN winter.

• Like 1

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

• Moderators

I've read that "Back to Black" isn't slippery. I may try that. On my side, only, first. Not the passenger side.

We've used it on black trim, so I already have it.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Back to Black is simply a die that penetrates into the plastic, it isn’t at all slippery. I use this vinyl and rubber dressing on tires and plastic or rubber parts, it is not oily and stupid shiny like most others, nor does it make the tires turn brown when you drive on a dirt road and the particles get stuck to it. Spritz it on, wipe it around, wait five minutes, wipe off the excess with a rag.  The tires look great, and it doesn’t streak onto the paint, so you can use it on car body parts.

Griots Vinyl and Rubber Dressing

They have an actual tire dressing, I have not tried it.

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators

We do use Mothers Back to Black on body trim. And, we like it. It lasts several months in Florida sun.

I haven't tried Griot's tire dressing,  but I love their leather cleaner, and leather dressing. It's not "greasy." I use it on my leather sofas and chairs, and really like it.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

On 2/5/2021 at 5:02 PM, IL_Travelers said:

Our 2021 GMC 2500 Turbo-Diesel is on order and will have the concealed steps; glad to hear someone else thinks those are a good idea.  I drove a 2020 diesel and could not believe how quiet and was surprised how well it rode compared to our 2017 Sierra 1500.  

Right this minute I am looking at receiver hitches.  I was going to purchase an Andersen (non WD) when I saw the "Weigh Safe 2-Ball Mount w/Built-In Scale" online at eTrailer.  Now I am SERIOUSLY considering that one.  I own an Aluma brand flatbed trailer which I use to haul my Polaris General, and the built-in hitch scale would be real handy for easy load distribution.  I just need to determine how much drop (4", 6", 8" or 10" are available) that I will need for "R-Villa" (our new Ollie) when it comes.  

Any advice?

We have the 2020 2500HD Duramax w/10sp trans. The more we drive (21k as of today) the more we like it, incl the controversial Chev Grill.  The Duramax and 10sp are so smooth!

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Mac said:

We have the 2020 2500HD Duramax w/10sp trans. The more we drive (21k as of today) the more we like it, incl the controversial Chev Grill.  The Duramax and 10sp are so smooth!

I am pleased with my 6 speed 2018 - would be interesting to compare the two. Most folks don't realize- Gm upgraded, improved the LP5 diesel  a few times - - internal changes- since the introduction in  2017 model year.  Banks power has tried  to kill it several times on his dyno - seems it holds up well. I'll let you know in 200K more road miles....

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

I gotta say we couldn't be happier with our 2020 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel Longhorn with Anderson WDH and air suspension.  The WDH is no big deal at all. We don't even notice our 2018 Ollie LEII behind us.  And, as others have noted, driving without the trailer around town is a very pleasant ride.  We were getting 18 mpg towing on the flat roads of Florida.  They seemed to be paired extremely well but we are close to maxing out on payload capacity.  When checking in at a State park campground, there was a car that kept circling us taking pictures.  Despite being convinced otherwise, my wife assured me that they weren't taking pictures of me 😁

1903722072_OllieLEIIandLonghorn.thumb.jpg.e29844cfd43b180b8927023bbd4c2a19.jpg

• Like 4
  • Love 1

ALARCTDEFLGAILINIAKYLAMEMDMAMSMONENHNJNY

2020 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel. LE2 hull# 344.