Tow vehicles for the Elite I

SeaDawg

• Moderators

We tow with a 2008 Ram 1500, 4x4, 5.7 hemi, because we use the truck for many purposes,  and we need the 4x4 on our NC property. 

I'm curious for the new owners. 

For those of you with the smaller Elite, what's your choice?.  And pros/cons.

Edited by SeaDawg
  • Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Can’t comment on its tow characteristics as we don’t have our Elite 1 yet, but we will be using our 2018 GMC Canyon.  The tow ratings fall well within the Elite 1 weight. Hope it won’t feel too strained towing the trailer. 

• Like 1

2021 Legacy Elite I , Hull #765

2021 Chevrolet Silverado 3.0 Diesel 

Navarre, Fl

SeaDawg, our tow vehicle - F150 4x4 SuperCrew - selection was likewise impacted by the (western) NC climate and its wintertime snow/ice. I’m pleased with the overall towing performance of the F150, plenty of pulling and stopping power for the Elite and with the 36-gallon tank and the back seat for the dogs it fits us well. Another pro for us is the 6.5 ft. bed. I’m new to towing so the backup assist comes in handy but I find I’m using it less frequently as I gain experience. The cons thus far: mileage and payload. I “drive like an old man” - may be because I am - rarely exceeding the posted speed limits to be rewarded with 12 or 13 mpg. Not impressed. I’m using CAT scales now and then to track our weights; we did once exceed our payload with a full fresh water tank. A couple of weighty TV accessories factor in, hard tonneau cover and heavy duty rubber bed mat, so I’m looking at rearranging to move some weight from the bed to the trailer. With the limited storage space in the trailer I’m finding that the options in this area are limited. May need to look at leaving behind some stuff....seems that’s a natural occurrence as we become more efficient, packing less with each trip. - Brian

• Thanks 1

Brian and Maria | and furbabies Lucas and Joie | Western NC
2020 Elite I | Hull 583 | February 6 Delivery
2018 F150 XLT 4x4 Supercrew | 3.5L V6 EB | Max Trailer Tow | Undercover Elite Tonneau

1 hour ago, Brian and Maria said:

heavy duty rubber bed mat, so I’m looking at rearranging to move some weight from the bed to the trailer.

That rubber mat probably weights a whole lot, some of the recycled rubber ones are 70 pounds or more....you could swap it out for a light weight Bed Rug. I used one in my last truck and liked it enough I would buy again, if I had a pickup.

https://bedrug.com/bedrug-classic-bed-mat/2018/ford/f-150

I have been trying to find its weight but have had no luck, does anyone know this figure? They don’t tell you online but they do usually ship free. I do know that they are pretty darned light. I installed mine without the velcro, it worked fine, but an open bed and no cargo might result in it literally flying away.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies
  • Thanks 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

12 hours ago, Brian and Maria said:

SeaDawg, our tow vehicle - F150 4x4 SuperCrew - selection was likewise impacted by the (western) NC climate and its wintertime snow/ice. I’m pleased with the overall towing performance of the F150, plenty of pulling and stopping power for the Elite and with the 36-gallon tank and the back seat for the dogs it fits us well. Another pro for us is the 6.5 ft. bed. I’m new to towing so the backup assist comes in handy but I find I’m using it less frequently as I gain experience. The cons thus far: mileage and payload. I “drive like an old man” - may be because I am - rarely exceeding the posted speed limits to be rewarded with 12 or 13 mpg. Not impressed. I’m using CAT scales now and then to track our weights; we did once exceed our payload with a full fresh water tank. A couple of weighty TV accessories factor in, hard tonneau cover and heavy duty rubber bed mat, so I’m looking at rearranging to move some weight from the bed to the trailer. With the limited storage space in the trailer I’m finding that the options in this area are limited. May need to look at leaving behind some stuff....seems that’s a natural occurrence as we become more efficient, packing less with each trip. - Brian

Thanks Brian and Maria  - a good review of real world experience.  I was surprised that you were up against the payload limits on a Super crew. I did the math on my former TV  - an older 1/2 ton GMC 4x4, and I was about where you are with a full EII. I eventually decided on the 3/4 ton diesel route - I never worry about payload anymore, have Leer top, bed mat,, and bring everything we think we need/want. After 44K experience - 15K towing the O  - mpg is decent, comfort is great, albeit all at a  much higher expense - overall.  If I put about 200K on the truck - it will even out,,,,,,,,, ha. I lose $$ on each mile, but make  it up in volume......

RB

My rubber bedmat must weight about 70LBS about all i want to wrestle around given its unwieldy size,

Edited by BackofBeyond
  • Thanks 1

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

• Moderators

I've got one of those "bed rugs" in my F-150 and it is great.  I don't know the exact weight but its light.  I'd guess around 10 pounds or so.  When I bought it I thought that keeping it clean just might be an issue but it is really easy to power wash.  If you go this route, be sure to also consider the "rug" for the tailgate.

Bill

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

10 hours ago, John E Davies said:

That rubber mat probably weights a whole lot, some of the recycled rubber ones are 70 pounds or more....you could swap it out for a light weight Bed Rug. I used one in my last truck and liked it enough I would buy again, if I had a pickup.

https://bedrug.com/bedrug-classic-bed-mat/2018/ford/f-150

John, thanks for the Bedrug info and link. I watched the installation video; nice product - especially its light weight and the tailgate option - and I may end up buying one. In the meantime I’m planning to remove my current mat and see how my knees do with the spray-in liner underneath. - Brian

2018 F150 XLT 4x4 Supercrew | 3.5L V6 EB | Max Trailer Tow | Undercover Elite Tonneau

51 minutes ago, BackofBeyond said:

Thanks Brian and Maria  - a good review of real world experience.  I was surprised that you were up against the payload limits on a Super crew. I did the math on my former TV  - an older 1/2 ton GMC 4x4, and I was about where you are with a full EII. I eventually decided on the 3/4 ton diesel route - I never worry about payload anymore, have Leer top, bed mat,, and bring everything we think we need/want. After 44K experience - 15K towing the O  - mpg is decent, comfort is great, albeit all at a  much higher expense - overall.  If I put about 200K on the truck - it will even out,,,,,,,,, ha. I lose $$ on each mile, but make  it up in volume......

RB

My rubber bedmat must weight about 70LBS about all i want to wrestle around given its unwieldy size,

RB, thanks for sharing your experience with the 3/4 ton and I would definitely go that route should we ever end up with an EII. Having done my homework in selecting the trim (XLT) I think will serve us best for our EI - not a lot of bells and whistles but good payload, max tow package - I too was a bit surprised to be up against the payload limit. Getting rid of the rubber bed mat will definitely help. On the bright side, the time we were over payload it was only by 40 lbs and it was a "worse case" with full TV gas tanks, full trailer fresh water and LP tanks, both TV and trailer loaded for camping. - Brian

Edited by Brian and Maria
  • Like 1

Surprised to see F-150 over payload on the Elite.  Any idea of weight for cargo in truck bed and your tongue weight?  

I have 2021 F-150 Supercrew 4x4 on order to pull my Elite coming in May so no experience yet with TV.  Appreciate feedback from those already on the road.  

• Like 1

2021 Legacy Elite II Hull #807 - 2021 F150 w/ 3.5L EB and max tow package 

15 minutes ago, TexasGuy said:

Surprised to see F-150 over payload on the Elite.  Any idea of weight for cargo in truck bed and your tongue weight?  

I have 2021 F-150 Supercrew 4x4 on order to pull my Elite coming in May so no experience yet with TV.  Appreciate feedback from those already on the road.  

TexasGuy, glad to be of help. Here are my CAT scale numbers for the overweight: steer 3,260 drive 3,800 trailer 3,660. Truck GVWR is 7,050. So we were 10 lbs over, not the 40 I stated in my earlier post. Estimated the tongue weight at 640. As an aside, I've since added the Andersen WDH to try to even out the axle weights. It was a recent addition and I've weighed only once with it and it made only a very slight improvement in shifting weight to the front axle. I'll be increasing the tension on the hitch chains to see if that helps.

- Brian

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brian and Maria said:

RB, thanks for sharing your experience with the 3/4 ton and I would definitely go that route should we ever end up with an EII. Having done my homework in selecting the trim (XLT) I think will serve us best for our EI - not a lot of bells and whistles but good payload, max tow package - I too was a bit surprised to be up against the payload limit. Getting rid of the rubber bed mat will definitely help. On the bright side, the time we were over payload it was only by 40 lbs and it was a "worse case" with full TV gas tanks, full trailer fresh water and LP tanks, both TV and trailer loaded for camping. - Brian

We will be towing our Elite II with our tried and true 2013 F-350 XLT Super Duty 6.7l diesel long bed crew cab 4WD w/tow pkg. (55K trouble free miles).  We purchased it new as a TV for our then 30' 5th-wheel and for use on our ranch.  It has been a great pickup; the XLT is a nice balance between utility and luxury - we prefer fewer "bells and whistles".  And, being older, it doesn't have as many electronic engine components.   It doesn't have built in sat nav, but our Garmin 890 is arriving today!  Can't wait to play with it a bit before we head to Hohenwald the end of November.

Towing the 5th-wheel, mpg was 12-14; hoping for 18 towing the Elite II; 18 mpg is what our 11,000# Leisure Travel Van 3.0l Sprinter diesel 6-cyl got, at best; I expect towing the Ollie with the Ford will be more efficient, though fuel use will be a bit offset by the V8 engine.

Soon we will know!

• Like 1

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

3 hours ago, Brian and Maria said:

Estimated the tongue weight at 640. As an aside, I've since added the Andersen WDH

Your estimate is way too high for an Elite, by maybe 200 pounds. It is an appropriate guess for a LE2. The Andersen adds 60 pounds. Buy a decent tongue weight scale like the Sherline LM 1000 and you will know for sure.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

37 minutes ago, John E Davies said:

Your estimate is way too high for an Elite, by maybe 200 pounds.

John, could be but I don't think it's that far off. I should have included that I refer to it as an estimate only because I weighed the TV (only) and the TV plus trailer on two separate trips. Though both were laden ready for camping, I can't state that both contained the same items for both weigh-ins but there were no major (heavy) items added or omitted . The TV (only) weight was 6,420. The TV weight increased by 640 lbs. when I added the trailer. That said I do need to take those weights on the same day for accuracy. Or as you suggested buy a tongue weight scale. Thanks for the Sherline recommendation, I'll check it out. - Brian

The bed rug weighs next to nothing... don’t forget the tailgate piece... it saves my knees... I have the two separate.. but they sell all one piece as well... I’m also right at my payload limit when loaded with everything and the kitchen sink (ie: wife, dogs, generator, tools etc.).. tried an Anderson hitch  with the setup and didn’t feel any difference..only added more weight.. so I prefer towing without one.. I also prefer to tow with minimal water in tanks... and air bags made a huge difference for my setup....Payload will always be a factor with a 1/2 ton truck... but its my daily driver and I love driving it... best truck on the market!38310D38-5138-4081-ABD5-83A7D7867633.thumb.jpeg.da67bc135caa1429ffd433ba3622b5bc.jpeg97FE65CF-9B30-46C5-9F37-36C372ED57EC.thumb.jpeg.ea2dee4d91e83e1a8f1f4bd33092b2b3.jpeg   

• Like 4

• Moderator+
6 hours ago, Brian and Maria said:

...On the bright side, the time we were over payload it was only by 40 lbs and it was a "worse case" with full TV gas tanks, full trailer fresh water and LP tanks, both TV and trailer loaded for camping. - Brian

Brian, you don't have to consider the weight of all the necessary fluids, such as gas, oil, and radiator fluid that keep the truck humming along, it is included in your GVWR.

• Like 2

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

• Moderators
56 minutes ago, ScubaRx said:

Brian, you don't have to consider the weight of all the necessary fluids, such as gas, oil, and radiator fluid that keep the truck humming along, it is included in your GVWR.

Agreed. And, the tongue weight,  unless you're carrying a huge generator on the tongue, is way too high. 

We have the bed rug in the ram (since 2008).  Estimated weight, about 10 pounds. It's nice, but not as soft on the knees as a rubber mat, I'm sure.

• Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

I looked up my tongue weight, at  a CAT scale years ago,  loaded for camping. 420 for us, in an Elite. 

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

Thank you for the information on this thread.  Much appreciated.

We are picking up an Elite I in February.  I am planning to tow with my Toyota Tacoma, but am concerned about my payload and tow limits.  My vehicle is a 2019 Tacoma, 4wd double cab, longer (6') bed.  My payload max (from the driver door jam) is only 950 lbs.  My tow limit is 6,400 lbs.

From the Oliver website, the Elite I's GVWR is 5,000 lbs, with a dry weight of 3,700 lbs.  Tongue weight of "approximately" 370 lbs.

My wife and I weigh 300 lbs combined which only leaves approximately 280 lbs for all cargo and the Andersen weight distribution hitch.  I want to add a topper for more dry storage in the bed, but am seriously reconsidering that, given my narrow payload limits.  I am fairly inexperienced with trailers, so any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks again for the informative thread.

• Like 1

Hull #735 - 2021 Elite 1 (Shorty)  |  2021 Toyota Tundra

Good Luck BILLATX,

You will be fighting the payload limit of the Tacoma on almost every outing. Many of us have run into the same issue. And some  have up fitted their TV with equipment to help alleviate the issue, only to eventually move up to a more capable TV.

Give it a try with what you have, you'll  figure it out. Never worry - there's plenty of us here on the forum to tell you what's best - 🙂

Have fun,

RB

• Like 1

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

3 hours ago, BillATX said:

My vehicle is a 2019 Tacoma, 4wd double cab, longer (6') bed.  My payload max (from the driver door jam) is only 950 lbs.  My tow limit is 6,400 lbs.

Wow, that seems extraordinarily low, Base payload should be closer to 1200 pounds on these trucks. What trim level and options do you have? If that figure is correct you are going to have troubles, no doubt about it. You will hit that payload wall, hard, and about the only thing you can do is travel with empty water tanks and maybe pull out your rear seats to gain an extra 75 pounds or so. Don’t fall into the “add stuff to try to fix it” trap RB mentioned. That rarely has a satisfactory outcome, and you can waste a whole lot of money messing around with what is in reality the wrong TV.

Good luck.

John Davies

Spokane WA

19 hours ago, John E Davies said:

Wow, that seems extraordinarily low, Base payload should be closer to 1200 pounds on these trucks. What trim level and options do you have? If that figure is correct you are going to have troubles, no doubt about it.

My truck is a stock 2019 Toyota Tacoma TRD Offroad, 4WD, double cab (bigger, 4 door cab), and longer (6') bed,  with no other options.  In my research, I think, according to Toyota specs, my truck should have payload (with my trim level) of 1,175 lbs.  So, I am a bit confused why my truck's payload is so low, but facts are facts. 

Thanks Back of Beyond and John Davies.  I do appreciate your feedback.  I now better understand that my truck is undersized for this trailer.

I would prefer a large margin of error (in terms of tow limits and payload).  Most of my previous camping experience has been spent backpacking (and counting ounces) and I'm getting an RV to be more comfortable while I am outdoors and I don't want to worry about weight.. A larger gas tank would be a big plus too..  All of that said, I am now looking at replacing the Tacoma with a half-ton (F-150 or Tundra, probably).  Rest assured, I'll pay attention to the actual payload and tow limits

Hull #735 - 2021 Elite 1 (Shorty)  |  2021 Toyota Tundra

1 hour ago, BillATX said:

My truck is a stock 2019 Toyota Tacoma TRD Offroad, 4WD, double cab (bigger, 4 door cab), and longer (6') bed,  with no other options.  In my research, I think, according to Toyota specs, my truck should have payload (with my trim level) of 1,175 lbs.  So, I am a bit confused why my truck's payload is so low, but facts are facts. 

Not necessarily facts - perhaps a typo on the label? I suggest that you contact Toyota customer service, give them your VIN and a picture of your door label, and ask them to explain where your missing 200 pounds of payload went. If in fact it is wrong, they MUST send you a new replacement sticker with the correct information on it. I expect that a Toyota dealer would have to install it, to document the process. Have you asked on a Taco forum if anybody else has a “too low” payload?

I am not positive, but I think your your Toyota Owners home page should show all relevant data like payload for your VIN. I tried logging in to check mine, but the site is down. Give it a try, see what it shows.

6268CF33-FF63-482C-958C-3B313F68324C.thumb.jpeg.b644754b71d9841e7c0c655447b0ea51.jpeg

https://www.toyota.com/owners/home

Good luck.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators
21 minutes ago, Gerard Fulham said:

What do you folks think about towing an Elite II with a Tundra? I have a 2018 with the full tow package -- rated at 9600 towing capacity although I am unsure of the GVWR. Thoughts?

There are lots of Tundras pulling Elite II’s.  9600 is enough.  Mike

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS