Tow vehicles for the Elite I

SeaDawg

• Moderators

Yes - given that the maximum weight of an Elite II is (supposed) to be 7,000 pounds, a tow rating of 9,600 pounds gives you enough "safety" margin and it should certainly be enough for virtually and hills you encounter.

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/28/2020 at 10:35 AM, Brian and Maria said:

TexasGuy, glad to be of help. Here are my CAT scale numbers for the overweight: steer 3,260 drive 3,800 trailer 3,660. Truck GVWR is 7,050. So we were 10 lbs over, not the 40 I stated in my earlier post. Estimated the tongue weight at 640. As an aside, I've since added the Andersen WDH to try to even out the axle weights. It was a recent addition and I've weighed only once with it and it made only a very slight improvement in shifting weight to the front axle. I'll be increasing the tension on the hitch chains to see if that helps.

- Brian

As follow up on this, I reweighed at a CAT scale during our camp trip earlier this week. With a full fresh water tank, the tongue weight was 498 so much less than the 640 that I earlier estimated and thanks to those who pointed out that possibility. The truck with trailer attached weighed in at 6,960 - a good 90 pounds under GVWR. And I still have yet to trade out that heavy rubber bed mat so I'm in pretty good shape weight-wise. By the way, I recommend Calhoun Falls State Park (SC). Level RV sites with large, level living area pads, good spacing between sites and right on Lake Russell.

- Brian

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Brian and Maria | and furbabies Lucas and Joie | Western NC
2020 Elite I | Hull 583 | February 6 Delivery
2018 F150 XLT 4x4 Supercrew | 3.5L V6 EB | Max Trailer Tow | Undercover Elite Tonneau

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/4/2020 at 10:01 AM, BillATX said:

My truck is a stock 2019 Toyota Tacoma TRD Offroad, 4WD, double cab (bigger, 4 door cab), and longer (6') bed,  with no other options.  In my research, I think, according to Toyota specs, my truck should have payload (with my trim level) of 1,175 lbs.  So, I am a bit confused why my truck's payload is so low, but facts are facts. 

Thanks Back of Beyond and John Davies.  I do appreciate your feedback.  I now better understand that my truck is undersized for this trailer.

I would prefer a large margin of error (in terms of tow limits and payload).  Most of my previous camping experience has been spent backpacking (and counting ounces) and I'm getting an RV to be more comfortable while I am outdoors and I don't want to worry about weight.. A larger gas tank would be a big plus too..  All of that said, I am now looking at replacing the Tacoma with a half-ton (F-150 or Tundra, probably).  Rest assured, I'll pay attention to the actual payload and tow limits

UPDATE - I just picked up a Tundra.  I got (what I believe to be) a fair deal and now I won't worry about pushing the limits of my truck.

I have to set up the truck and get ready for delivery of our Oliver!

Thanks so much for your help.

Bill

Edited by BillATX
typo
  • Like 3

Hull #735 - 2021 Elite 1 (Shorty)  |  2021 Toyota Tundra

15 hours ago, BillATX said:

UPDATE - I just picked up a Tundra.  I got (what I believe to be) a fair deal and now I won't worry about pushing the limits of my truck.

I have to set up the truck and get ready for delivery of our Oliver!

What year? The 5.7 engine with 4.30 axles will hardly feel an LE behind it. I really love the super reliability of Toyota body on frame trucks but I do not care for the way they never seem to get updated.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators

The new 2022 Tundra may be released as early as mid-year, 2021, according to this article.

https://www-motortrend-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.motortrend.com/news/2022-toyota-tundra-pickup-truck-everything-we-know/amp/?amp_js_v=a6&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQHKAFQArABIA%3D%3D#aoh=16083150847211&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From %1%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.motortrend.com%2Fnews%2F2022-toyota-tundra-pickup-truck-everything-we-know%2F

Careful what you wish for, though. Looks like the big v8 may be going away. Then again, the whole article is speculation based on leaks, so who knows?

Edited by SeaDawg
  • Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

While neither of the Ford F-150 has let me down nor have they disappointed me, ever since I owned a Tacoma I've had a spot in my heart for Toyota.  This Tundra looks like it just might give Ford a real run for the money - I hope so anyway.

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

I would hate for there to be no Tundra V8. The Land Cruiser is going to be gone here in the USA, and the Lexus LX will have that heavily boosted twin turbo hybrid 3.5 liter V6. The Sequoia will probably lose the big motor too.... I suppose the light duty trucks have to keep pursuing those improved miles per gallon numbers. I have owned either a Cruiser or an LX for the last twenty years. I will keep my present LC 200 until it is totaled, burned or stolen.  At that time I will either look for a low miles used replacement 200, or perhaps get a Power Wagon. If the new Tundra were to be offered with a big motor, I might consider it, if I could also get the good off-roady stuff like locking differentials.

I am a huge fan of big V8s. My wife drives a 1998 Lexus SC400 (290 bhp V8) what a lovely car and what a stellar drivetrain.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies
  • Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

10 hours ago, John E Davies said:

What year? The 5.7 engine with 4.30 axles will hardly feel an LE behind it. I really love the super reliability of Toyota body on frame trucks but I do not care for the way they never seem to get updated.

I ended up with a new one (2021).  I had a deal on a 2017 with 34k miles for a bit less, but decided to go with new.  I am not sure exactly how Covid has impacted the truck market, but I can tell you I found fewer trucks for sale in my search than ever in the past.  BTW, I drove my Tacoma for two years, put 19,000 miles on it, and traded it in for $500 less than I bought it for.  Weird times.

I know the Tundra is dated (to say the least), but I am a card-carrying Toyota fan-boy, so in the end, it was easy for me to overlook its shortcomings.

I am working to get it in shape and camping-ready!

Bill

• Like 1

• Moderators

We’ve had a couple of Tacomas, lots of miles and they still held their value.  I was surprised both times at the trade in amount I got.  I actually got more at the Ram dealer for my second Tacoma than the Toyota dealer where I bought it.  Mike

• Like 2

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• 1 month later...

UPDATE on the Tundra (4WD, SR5, with 5.7L V8)

The Tundra pulls the smaller Elite 1 great.  The larger gas tank, the bigger engine, make the tow actually pretty pleasant.  I am really happy I upgraded the tow vehicle.

Edited by BillATX
typo
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, BillATX said:

UPDATE on the Tundra (4WD, SR5, with 5.7L V8)

The Tundra pulls the smaller Elite 1 great.  The larger gas tank, the bigger engine, make the tow actually pretty pleasant.  I am really happy I upgraded the tow vehicle.

Welcome to the Tundra/ Olly 1 club...😉... I put Firestone Riderites airbags on my 2020 Tundra and it made a big difference in the ride... It dampened the bouncing effect when going over bumps and potholes.  Enjoy your new toys.. ( show pics )

4692394C-1EEE-48E2-8BD2-96013AB510E4.thumb.jpeg.cc35f9fc3944f4895c3811dd806eda9a.jpeg 

• Like 3

Hello Airedales!  I also drive a 2020 Tundra and will be picking up my Elite l in June.  

I see that you have installed airbags.  Do you have an anti-sway device installed as well?  Page 214 of the 2020 Tundra Owners Manual cautions that if your trailer weighs more than 2000# a anti-sway device of sufficient capacity is required.  The warning applies to all models.

It would appear from the comments of other Oliver owners that these trailers don't have issues with swaying.  I ordered my Elite l with the Anderson Hitch simply to satisfy the requirement in the Tundra owners manual.  In the event of an accident, I would sure hate to have the insurance company deny my claim because I did not follow the manufacturers instructions.

Something to think about.

Mike and Yasuko

2021 Legacy Elite Hull #820