Camping near Hohenwald, TN

sloppyjoe

Hi All,

We are thinking of scheduling a visit to the Ollie factory. I see several camp grounds listed on the internet near by. 

Does anyone have experience camping near the Ollie factory and do you have any recommendations?  

In addition to seeing an Elite II we would like to do some social distancing site seeing. 

Thanks

• Thanks 1

If you want to visit Nashville and the factory in one trip, I would recommend Montgomery Bell State Park. It’s 35 miles from Nashville and ~40 miles from Hohenwald. It’s located in Burns, TN (my hometown). 

From Davy Crockett SP, you can get to The space center in Huntsville and the Ollie factory but, it’s a longer drive to Nashville. It is in Lawrenceburg, TN.

If you would rather move closer to Nashville, and, depending on the time of the year, there are several campgrounds on Music Valley Drive close to the Gaylord Hotel. After Thanksgiving and until Christmas, the hotel is really something to see when it is decorated. Hohenwald would be about 90 miles away or close to 2 hours.  You can Uber or maybe shuttle downtown or the Opry is nearby also. They just started back with limited live shows.

Downtown has become a Las Vegas atmosphere pre-COVID; not my thing but may be a place to visit. If you want to hear good music, I would recommend  3rd & Lindsley (the address and the name of the bar) on Monday nights to hear the Time Jumpers. Get tickets!

Finally, if you want to see Nashville from an RV, I think the an alternative would be to look at some COE campgrounds around Percy Priest Lake. That is on the east side and I wouldn’t recommend getting to Hohenwald from there due to traffic.

There are some other locals here and I’m sure there are some that have made the trip in their Ollie! 

PM me if you have specific questions about the area and I’ll help if I can.

And, welcome to the forums! Next to a factory visit, it’s the next best place to learn about OTT.

Edited by DCdude
Clarity
  • Thanks 1

David and Vicky | Burns, TN | 2020 LEII #686 | 2017 Ford F-250 4x4 6.2L

1 hour ago, DCdude said:

From Davy Crockett SP, you can get to The space center in Huntsville and the Ollie factory but, it’s a longer drive to Nashville. It is in Lawrenceburg, TN.

Hmmm . . . . I didn't think about Huntsville being close to Lawrenceburg.  We'll be spending a couple of nights at Davy Crockett after picking up our Elite II in December.  Our boys went to Space Camp in Huntsville in the early 92s.  They had a blast (pun intended!)

Google Maps says it's about 65 mi from DCSP to Huntsville.  Don't know if we'd make the drive, though since it's away from the direction we'll be heading home (to Oregon).  Our adventure to Hohenwald won't be quite as much fun during these pandemic times.

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

DCdude- 

David Crocket CG is much closer to Oliver in Hohenwald Tenn. -https://tnstateparks.com/parks/david-crockett 

Davy Crockett CG is located in Crossville, Tenn. - https://www.davycrockettcampground.com

Two different areas of your state. 😉 

Davy Crockett CG is in Crossville Tenn, a much longer drive to Oliver in Hohenwald, Tenn.

Edited by Patriot
  • Thanks 2
  • Like 2

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

4 hours ago, Shredder said:

We are also planning to visit the factory sometime after Thanksgiving and before Christmas.  Any suggestions on a reasonably priced motel/hotel near the factory?  Thanks!

Last June we stayed at the Hampton Inn in Columbia Tenn, when we took delivery and drove to Hohenwald about an hour away. There was nothing that really appealed to us closer to the Oliver plant. The Hampton was very clean and quiet and we got great rest. Also a better selection of decent sit down dinning places to eat.
As for price, It really depends on what you think is reasonable? I think the Hampton Inn was $120 a night, which worked for us. For the plant tour in Dec be sure to dress warm and wear comfortable warm footwear. We did the Ollie tour in March and it was cold then. Brrrrrrrr!!

Edited by Patriot
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1

IMG_2879.jpeg

I was definitely referring to Davy Crockett SP in Lawrenceburg. Sorry for any confusion.

For modern day hotels, certainly the closest is Columbia  - exit 47 on I65. But it also may depend which direction you are coming from and what you would like to see in the area.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, sloppyjoe said:

Hi All,

We are thinking of scheduling a visit to the Ollie factory. I see several camp grounds listed on the internet near by. 

Does anyone have experience camping near the Ollie factory and do you have any recommendations?  

In addition to seeing an Elite II we would like to do some social distancing site seeing. 

Thanks

I was just going to ask about this as well! Thank you for asking the question! (I need to know for delivery date planning, staying in the area longer than the one night after the delivery and overnight "shakedown" -- which I assume the Ollie people provide a campspot for, but not sure which one, or where).

2021 Elite 1 -- Hull #731

Ram 1500 Rebel 4x4

Now Sold

states.png

Thanks All.  Great info, I'll look at these camp spots more this evening after work.  For what it is worth we will be coming from NW Florida and would be more interested in seeing what nature has to offer v/s the more populated areas.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, sloppyjoe said:

. . would be more interested in seeing what nature has to offer v/s the more populated areas.

Ahhh!  Good choice! I would not want to discourage a visit to Nashville but even though I grew up there and love listening and playing live music, it’s way too crowded for me. 

One of my favorites of mine in the SP system:

Cumberland Mountain SP in Crossville - that would set you up to take one of the prettiest spring time drives on Hwy 127 south thru the Sequatchie Valley then hit I59 to I65 to get back home. This would logically be done after visiting the factory and would be the long way home.

If you want something quicker, the Natchez Trace Parkway runs close to Davy Crockett.  The prettiest drive on the Trace is from there north towards Nashville. A nice day trip would be to drive to the northern terminus and eat at the Loveless Cafe (Southern food esp. breakfast) and drive back.  

There is a camp ground on the Trace (Meriwether-Lewis) but many here know more about that than I do.  

Another local favorite would be to take the backroads over to Lynnville, TN. It’s a small railroad town with a high end leather shop and a great cheeseburger place. East of Lynnville is Texas T campground on I65 exit 27 I think. It gets high reviews but I’ve never stayed there.

• Thanks 1

• Moderators

When visiting Nashville, we like Cedar Creek COE.  It’s a very nice campground and pretty close to downtown.  We stayed at Two Rivers RV park near the Opry, it was nice but pricey.  In Hohenwald we’ve either stayed at the Oliver showroom or Fall Hollow campground.  It’s been about 5 years since we were at Fall Hollow, not sure how they are doing now.

For Lodging in Hohenwald, we’ve stayed a couple of times at the B&B at Fall Hollow.  It is simple but clean and convenient to Oliver.  We also stayed in Columbia at the Hampton.  There used to be a B&B at Natchez Hills Winery, actually at the owners home.  I don’t think they still operate it.  Amber Falls winery has some rental cottages and they are also a Harvest Host location.  We go to Amber Falls whenever we are in Hohenwald.  Nice people and pretty good wine.  Mike

• Thanks 2

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• Moderators
1 minute ago, DCdude said:

There is a camp ground on the Trace (Meriwether-Lewis) but many here know more about that than I do.  

This is/was one of my personal favorites.  They have water available and flush toilets but no electric, sewer dump or showers.  However, when I was there two months ago this campground was CLOSED.  The Meriwether-Lewis exhibits and area were open though and are worth a look particularly if you can snag one of the Park Rangers.

Bill

• Thanks 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

2 hours ago, DCdude said:

I was definitely referring to Davy Crockett SP in Lawrenceburg. Sorry for any confusion.

For modern day hotels, certainly the closest is Columbia  - exit 47 on I65. But it also may depend which direction you are coming from and what you would like to see in the area.

Oh not again...🤣

It’s David Crockett in Lawrenceburg not Davy....😂 it’s alright we know which one you mean.
It can be confusing to out of state folk.

IMG_2879.jpeg

1 hour ago, Patriot said:

Oh not again...🤣

It’s David Crockett in Lawrenceburg not Davy....😂 it’s alright we know which one you mean.

Ok, Ok. But his real friends called him Davy!

• Haha 1

Oliver reserved a site for us at "David Crocket SP" the night after delivery.  I called the park and reserved an additional night which they added to Oliver's reservation.  Had to pay up front, but they offer a Senior Rate - less than $20/night, including tax.

• Thanks 2
  • Like 1

Ray and Susan Huff

I'll add - if you have time - a visit to the Jack Daniel distillery in Lynchburg is a good tour,   - not to mention all the other nice areas to explore  -- and I'll offer up our farm as a spot to park (camp) while your enjoying the sights.  Distancing is not an issue here....

• Thanks 3
  • Like 6

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

1 hour ago, Susan Huff said:

Oliver reserved a site for us at "David Crocket SP" the night after delivery.  I called the park and reserved an additional night which they added to Oliver's reservation.  Had to pay up front, but they offer a Senior Rate - less than $20/night, including tax.

Susan, thank you for this info! Just what I was wondering!

2021 Elite 1 -- Hull #731

Ram 1500 Rebel 4x4

Now Sold

states.png

• Moderator+
On 10/22/2020 at 8:06 AM, Patriot said:

Oh not again...🤣

It’s David Crockett in Lawrenceburg not Davy....😂 it’s alright we know which one you mean.

Don’t forget about David Crockett Birthplace State Park near Limestone, TN. 

Just in case it wasn’t confusing enough already 

Edited by ScubaRx
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

1 hour ago, ScubaRx said:

Don’t forget about David Crockett Birthplace State Park near Limestone, TN. 

Just in case it wasn’t confusing enough already 

David Crockett sure got around, didn't he?

• Like 2

Ray and Susan Huff

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Susan Huff said:

David Crockett sure got around, didn't he?

Yes, he did. He fell in love with his wife , Elizabeth Patton, in western NC, near Swannanoah/Black Mountain. 

Remember the Alamo.

Sherry 

Edited by SeaDawg
Typos
  • Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

There's a road marker 7 or 8 miles from our property in NC, about David Crockett.  At least there used to be.

He did, indeed, get around. Those were really long distances, at the time.

https://www.obcgs.com/crockett-david-and-elizabeth-patton/

Edited by SeaDawg
Typos
  • Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

We were in Hohenwald for service Oct 4-7. The 1st night we camped in the sales office parking lot. They have several power pedestals to use. There were three other campers there with us & one was a couple scheduled for a factory tour.

While Oliver had our Ollie, we stayed in Linden at the Commodore Hotel. It is an historic building on the main drag. The room/bldg needs some love but was clean. The Commodore allows pets & a continental breakfast is included. 

The Meriwether Lewis campground was still closed.

20201005_162447.jpg

20201004_174609.jpg

• Thanks 3
  • Like 1
Chris & Duke Chadwell
🐾Maddie & Baxter🐾
Elite II Hull 292
2022 F-250 Lariat 7.3 Godzilla 4x4 Lakeland,FL

1 hour ago, ShallowGal said:

We were in Hohenwald for service Oct 4-7. The 1st night we camped in the sales office parking lot. They have several power pedestals to use. There were three other campers there with us & one was a couple scheduled for a factory tour.

While Oliver had our Ollie, we stayed in Linden at the Commodore Hotel. It is an historic building on the main drag. The room/bldg needs some love but was clean. The Commodore allows pets & a continental breakfast is included. 

The Meriwether Lewis campground was still closed.

20201004_174609.jpg

We plan to stay at the Commodore on our way to delivery.  Spending 2 nights, maybe more, at David Crocket SP before heading back to Oregon.

I see you are social distancing . . . . 

• Like 2

Ray and Susan Huff