Camping near Hohenwald, TN

sloppyjoe

10 hours ago, Susan Huff said:

We plan to stay at the Commodore on our way to delivery.  Spending 2 nights, maybe more, at David Crocket SP before heading back to Oregon.

I see you are social distancing . . . . 

Also looking at Commodore for the night before I pick up in late Jan. Very helpful info here. Thanks to all! I have a black Lab and apparently the Commodore allows dogs. I know I’m early on all this, but I’m a newbie to RVs and going FT on the adventure, just me and doggo. Trying to plan where to stay in the area of the Ollie delivery place maybe a week or more til I’m sure I got it down, so to speak.  Thanks!

• Like 1

2021 Elite 1 -- Hull #731

Ram 1500 Rebel 4x4

Now Sold

states.png

• Moderators

If you bring your dog, where will he/she stay during orientation? 

What's the policy at Oliver now?  In January,  it's probably cool enough to leave your dog in the truck. If it's not too distracting for you. 

I think there's a boarding vet in Hohenwald,  for warmer seasons. It would be good to ask your rep.

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/29/2020 at 9:48 PM, SeaDawg said:

If you bring your dog, where will he/she stay during orientation? 

What's the policy at Oliver now?  In January,  it's probably cool enough to leave your dog in the truck. If it's not too distracting for you. 

I think there's a boarding vet in Hohenwald,  for warmer seasons. It would be good to ask your rep.

I will def ask rep re: dog. He’s a well-mannered sort, if that matters. I used to train dogs and worked for a couple vets. He has some “certifications” and papers and official stuff, but I rarely use anything to take him where he isn’t “wanted” or make anyone who isn’t a dog person uncomfortable in any way. I try to be a considerate dog owner. (Of course he owns ME, but that’s a conversation for another day. Ha.)

Ram 1500 Rebel 4x4

Now Sold

states.png

There used to be a very sweet little resident mop dog in the sales office, he may not be there any more (nearly five years ago), but at that time the staff seemed very dog oriented. Maybe a dozen doughnuts from Walmart and a big smile would convince them to watch your lab. Or at least convince them to go out to your Rebel and release him on lead every few hours. If he is like our Australian Labradoodles, he will get plenty of entertainment just watching the world go by, if you can park where things are happening. Or he’ll just sleep. 

Have you already figured out a way to protect your back seats and restrain him during travel? The Raingler nets are brilliant and easy to use, and go away completely when not needed. One will definitely work with a black lab 😀

5184C462-041A-4ED7-903D-A7075B028159.thumb.jpeg.96788b107be21fa1031377dc26b79aa0.jpeg

https://raingler.com/collections/dodge-ram-trucks/products/2009-2018-ram-1500-quad-crew-and-mega-cab-barrier-divider

You soon get used to looking back through the webbing in your mirror. It makes things much safer for everybody in a collision. You still need actual seat and door protection, drool won’t be stopped by a net. Add a canvas “pet hammock” and it gives you two completely out of sight areas behind the front seats where you can stow your purse, laptop or other items. I keep my bug-out backpack behind the front driver seat, held upright by the net with an aluminum carabiner, it works most excellent. Two pairs of windshield and side window sun shields ride neatly between the net and the hammock.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies
  • Thanks 2

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

On 10/21/2020 at 11:58 PM, Susan Huff said:

Hmmm . . . . I didn't think about Huntsville being close to Lawrenceburg.  We'll be spending a couple of nights at Davy Crockett after picking up our Elite II in December.  Our boys went to Space Camp in Huntsville in the early 92s.  They had a blast (pun intended!)

Google Maps says it's about 65 mi from DCSP to Huntsville.  Don't know if we'd make the drive, though since it's away from the direction we'll be heading home (to Oregon).  Our adventure to Hohenwald won't be quite as much fun during these pandemic times.

Site 81 at David Crockett SP was an excellent level long and wide asphalt site with water and electric. We spent (4) nights there. I would highly recommend this site if available. Just a thought.

Edited by Patriot
  • Thanks 2

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

• Moderators

SherMica, your comment about papers reminded me. Make sure you have a copy of your dog's rabies vax, including type given, date, etc.

We've only been asked for this a few times, but if course, the one time I forgot, a New York state park wouldn't let us in without it. My vet was kind enough to fax a copy to the park office. Luckily, we were checking in during business hours.

• Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• 2 weeks later...

I just caught up on this thread! For some reason I'm not getting emails for all the responses. Probably a setting somewhere. Anyway, yes I always carry the dog's "papers" and such in the truck/car with me! And as it turns out we are just gonna stop halfway to Hohenwald at a Fairfield (dog is very used to hotels) and then get up super early and head to OTT for delivery day excitement. My rep loves dogs and said the dog is welcome in his office. I could not be more impressed with OTT thus far. Simply outstanding people. And all you guys here on the forums have been FABULOUSLY kind and patient and helpful. Thank you all.

Ram 1500 Rebel 4x4

Now Sold

states.png

On 11/10/2020 at 12:00 PM, Patriot said:

Site 81 at David Crockett SP was an excellent level long and wide asphalt site with water and electric. We spent (4) nights there. I would highly recommend this site if available. Just a thought.

I might call tomorrow and see if I can get Site 81. I'm probably waaaay early (i.e., don't know if the OTT people have reserved a spot there for me yet or not), but that's how I roll. hah Always early. (There's a Joe Walsh song I always liked. called "Things." One of the lines is. "It's the best thing to be early so you have some time to wait." It's like Joe was in my head when he wrote that lyric I swear.)

Ram 1500 Rebel 4x4

Now Sold

states.png

Just tell the Oliver office that you want to stay an extra day.  They will put you in a site that's straight and easy to get into.  Our site got changed at the last minute because of a water issue at the park.  We ended up at the end of a narrow curve, I think it was site 87, would not recommend it!  

• Thanks 1

"Creativity is the fun of putting together unexpected ideas."  Hazel Edwards

We have reservations at David Crockett State Park for two nights following delivery - December 7 & 8.  Space #60; come by and say "Hi" if you're around.

• Like 1

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

19 hours ago, SherMica said:

I might call tomorrow and see if I can get Site 81. I'm probably waaaay early (i.e., don't know if the OTT people have reserved a spot there for me yet or not), but that's how I roll. hah Always early. (There's a Joe Walsh song I always liked. called "Things." One of the lines is. "It's the best thing to be early so you have some time to wait." It's like Joe was in my head when he wrote that lyric I swear.)

We called the CG directly and mentioned we were picking up our Ollie and they were very accommodating. Site 81 - I wide and level and I would pick it again. 😊

Edited by Patriot
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

5 hours ago, Patriot said:

We called the CG directly and mentioned we were picking up and Ollie and they were very accommodating. Site 81 - I wide and level and I would pick it again. 😊

Talked to my sales rep and the person who handles the David Crockett STATE PARK (not to be confused with the Davey Crocket CAMPGROUND, a whole other place in a whole other part of TN) is not in today, but will return Monday and is supposed to make my reservation for the delivery day NIGHT at the State Park (that comes with the Ollie purchase). Since I don't want to confuse things, I am gonna wait to call the State Park people and add my own "extra nights" (reserve) after I am sure the OTT person has made me a reservation at the State Park for the night of my delivery date.

Thanks for the rec for Site 81. Odds that OTT rep will get that one when they call the State Park may be slim, but I can ask the State Park people for that site number for my own additional days at the State Park if the site I get isn't so hot. As if I would know the difference between a good site and a bad one (newbie and all!), hah. And maybe they don't like you "moving" sites once you first arrive and set up for the first night, who knows. To me a "good site" (as a newbie) would be one away from noise, traffic. That's just me. I'm pretty quiet (not anti-social at ALL, but I like to respect nature etc., and the whole point of camping to me is to not bring a boom box and set it up outside my trailer.)

OT sorta, but just last night someone on a little motor scooter showed up outside where I live (brick and mortar rental home) and idled for 20 minutes with an earsplittingly loud radio playing on the scooter. I mean LOUD. AND it was blasting an obnoxious commercial. 20 minutes. I walked outside and just looked with my mouth hanging open. WTH? I just don't get that whole thing. I'm from a different generation or something. Like, contain your noise and respect others' rights not to hear your . . .  whatever.

Edited by SherMica

Ram 1500 Rebel 4x4

Now Sold

states.png

I think that the time and effort involved in moving sites would not be worth it.  Our first night we barely had time to unhook and start moving all our gear into our new Ollie before the sun set.  Summer would be different of course.  The Oliver company will get you into a good spot and you can likely just stay at that site and save yourself a lot of hassle.  For me, a good site is not on the edge of a sharp curve and is long enough to keep your tow vehicle in front of the trailer.

• Thanks 2

"Creativity is the fun of putting together unexpected ideas."  Hazel Edwards

• Moderators

Oth, moving from site to site would allow you to learn about hooking up, backing up, and leveling, while you're still in learning mode. 

It's up to you.

• Like 3

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

43 minutes ago, Nancy K. said:

I think that the time and effort involved in moving sites would not be worth it.  Our first night we barely had time to unhook and start moving all our gear into our new Ollie before the sun set.  Summer would be different of course.  The Oliver company will get you into a good spot and you can likely just stay at that site and save yourself a lot of hassle.  For me, a good site is not on the edge of a sharp curve and is long enough to keep your tow vehicle in front of the trailer.

I think I'll stay put wherever they put me, good suggestion. I am arriving late as it is. I may not even be able to set up fully. I might be lucky just to get to the State Park and park and sleep in the truck. LOL

Ram 1500 Rebel 4x4

Now Sold

states.png

• Moderators
33 minutes ago, SherMica said:

I think I'll stay put wherever they put me, good suggestion. I am arriving late as it is. I may not even be able to set up fully. I might be lucky just to get to the State Park and park and sleep in the truck. LOL

Nope. Get out of the truck, and sleep in that beautiful Ollie. 

Only saying, good to learn how to hitch/unhitch / backup/hitchup again, while you're in the mode, and help is relatively nearby. 

Edited by SeaDawg
  • Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

3 minutes ago, SeaDawg said:

Nope. Get out of the truck, and sleep in that beautiful Ollie. 

Only saying, good to learn how to hitch/unhitch / backup/hitchup again, while you're in the mode, and help is relatively nearby. 

I have a set of queen-full sheets and pillows and my dawg. And I will pop a celebratory adult beverage and breathe a huge sigh of relief and hope and things will get better. Been a helluva few years. I mean really a helluva few years. I wanna get back into writing (I used to be funny, to some anyway). 

• Like 1

Ram 1500 Rebel 4x4

Now Sold

states.png

It has been just over a year since we spent our first night at David Crockett SP after our delivery.  I think Oliver usually tries to reserve the same few spots.  I noticed from photos we were in the same spot at those that picked up before and after us.  We had never camped in a travel trailer and had very limited towing experience.  We had almost no experience backing up a trailer.

From experience, just take your time with everything.  A check list for set up and departure are a huge help.  Folks at David Crockett in the sites near us had seen other new Oliver's in and out of the campground.  They were understanding, nice and helpful.  By taking our time we were able to get our Elite II parked pretty easily.  If in doubt when backing up stop, get out of the truck and look!!! Good luck and don't rush.  

• Thanks 2