Trying to Understand Diff between “Tow Hitch” and “Tow Package”

Moonlight Mile

Looking at 2020 Ram 1500 Bighorns 4WD, 8cyl etc.

Sales guy sent window sticker.

Can you guys tell me if this is a TOW PACKAGE, which is what I want, right?

Or is is something less?

If something less, what does it lack that I would have to buy myself before I drive this (assuming I buy it!) to Hohenwald in Jan?

Thanks. As always.

65AAA4C6-CB86-4887-937D-74103148F590.jpeg

AFBA9DE6-ED19-4F4E-95BC-98550350771F.jpeg

2021 Elite 1 -- Hull #731

Ram 1500 Rebel 4x4

Now Sold

states.png

Everything is fine (3.92 axle ratio is great), except the gas tank is only 23 gallons, no good at all....  why did they put such a small tank in it? Don’t buy this one.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 2

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

9 minutes ago, John E Davies said:

Everything is fine (3.92 axle ratio is great), except the gas tank is only 23 gallons, no good at all....  why did they put such a small tank in it? Don’t buy this one.

John Davies

Spokane WA

I agree . . . . . our 2013 F-350 has a 35 gal tank.  This translates to a range of 450 -650 miles, depending on driving factors (weather conditions, hills, towing, etc).  

• Like 1

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

Here is a 2020 Laramie in Boise, heavily discounted ($47k) and it has a more appropriate spec sheet, with a 33 gallon tank.

https://www.dennisdillonchryslerjeepdodge.com/inventory/new-2020-ram-1500-laramie-4x4-crew-cab-1c6srfjt0ln367053

Maybe the eTorque engine option reduces fuel capacity since it in theory gives better mileage, but not necessarily while towing. Dennis Dillon does about 90% of its sales remotely, folks fly in, the sales guy picks them up, they buy the truck and drive it home. They have very hard to match pricing.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

WOW! YOU GUYS ARE AMAZING.

*I would NEVER have thought about the 23 gallon tank. I've been just saying, "Look, I want a 2020 Ram 1500 with the 0% financing deal, gotta be a  V8, cab, 4WD, with a TOWING PACKAGE* not just a "Tow Hitch." And email-contacted a couple local dealers. That sticker above was one of their responses. NOW I know to add, "And a 33-35 gallon gas tank."

*whatever that is

Thank you!

• Thanks 1

Ram 1500 Rebel 4x4

Now Sold

states.png

Tow hitch is just that, a hitch and probably a 7 and or 4 pin connector. Tow package varies by manufacturer and they may have levels of tow packages. It usually means a bigger alternator, upgraded transmission, larger radiator,bigger gas tank 🙂 etc. .  Sales people do not always know.  So you have to dig into the details on the sticker and on the manufacturer's website to see what is included the package. 

• Thanks 2
  • Like 2

Bill Thomas 2019 Elite II Hull # 534

2020 Chevrolet Silverado HD 2500

• Moderators

Sales people in farm/ranch country, where everybody buys a truck to haul something, are often better versed than city salespeople.

That said, it's still important to check all the info through the stickers and vin. 

The Laramie trim John proposed is a flatout lux truck. But, you'll want to protect the seats with your big dog, for sure.

My 2005 Silverado has a 25 or 26 gallon tank. It was really fine for towing our Elite, with all the right equipment except 4 x 4. It would not have been fine in some sparsely populated western states, and especially in the Yukon. I'd probably have some anxiety about distance between gas stations. With the Silverado,  we averaged around 12 mpg, towing. Definitely,  more gas stops.

At our age, we probably stop more often to stretch legs and visit the rest stop toilets than we stop for gas, with the 35 gallon tank in the Ram.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Also for RAM's when you find one outfitted the way you want, don't forget to check the PAYLOAD sticker on the Door Frame before you sign off.

If you can't see the vehicle on the lot, RAM has a way to lookup the payload based on the VIN.

https://www.ramtrucks.com/towing-guide.html

669116436_ScreenShot2020-10-23at3_22_14PM.thumb.png.43e9c9be96cff450bdceaaecea32dc19.png

Once you put in the vin you'll see out the door of the "factory" payload. *See the image below*

While the picture isn't ever correct (see the disclaimer below the picture of the truck) , it should be the correct payload and tow rating.

One thing for sure....don't under buy on Payload...the more glitz in the truck, the lower the final payload.

Then as a final check, ask for or go take a PIX of the door jamb Payload Sticker before you sign.

I found that on some RAM's their ONLINE payload stickers didn't match the final sticker upon delivery.

This one matches with a bit of round up to 1282 lbs payload.  (This was a fully loaded truck) one with a much lower trim level had a 1700 lb payload.

248794399_ScreenShot2020-10-23at3_42_04PM.thumb.png.c4aa8dea13f0999ddbb3499f78afc137.png

IMG_2238.thumb.jpg.895668c97c54c6df470cf345bad52ea0.jpg

Edited by ctshort09
  • Like 2

2019 Elite II (Hull 505 - Galway Girl - August 7, 2019 Delivery) 
Tow Vehicle: 2021 F350 King Ranch, FX4, MaxTow Package, 10 Speed, 3.55 Rear Axle
Batteries Upgrade: Dual 315GTX Lithionics Lithiums - 630AH Total
Inverter/Charger: Xantrex 2000Pro 

Travel BLOG:  https://4-ever-hitched.com

IMG_5421.jpeg.c1f697a00240a9bd6729b0930bd3a4aa.jpeg

• Moderators

The Ram 1500 can have a 23, 26 or 33 gallon gas tank.  My 2016 had the 33 gallon.  My current 2020 has a 26 gallon.  They factor in a full gas tank when they figure payload capacity so the 33 gallon will yield a lower payload number.   I was a bit concerned going from 33 to 26 gallons but honestly it hasn’t made much difference.  We stop every 2-4 hours anyway so filling up isn’t the issue I thought it would be.  I think most Ram 1500s come with the 2” hitch receiver and 7 pin connector.  The towing package comes with some extra cooling, a larger alternator and brake controller.  It’s important to make sure the towing features you want are listed on the window sticker.  Mike

• Like 2

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

1. Try to get your hands on the buyer's guide, for 2021 it's here: https://www.fcausfleet.com/content/dam/fca-fleet/na/fleet/en_us/shopping-tools/brochures-literature/docs/buyers-guide/2021/2021_Ram_1500_DT_Buyers-guide.pdf
    1. Here are the options listed:
    2. Trailer Tow — Four- /seven-pin connector (XFK) • • • • • • •
      1. — Class III hitch (bumper; not available with Class IV hitch receiver) (XFJ) • • •
      2. — Class IV hitch receiver (included with H1 and H2 Equipment Packages, Tradesman Group, Trailer-Tow Group and Max Tow Package) (XFH)
    3. Trailer-Tow Group — Includes Class IV hitch receiver, integrated Trailer Brake Controller, 7 x 11-inch trailer-tow mirrors, Trailer Light Check, Trailer Tire Pressure Monitoring system, Uconnect® 4 with 8.4-inch display on Tradesman only and Trailer Reverse Steering Control (AHC)
    4. Max Tow Package — Includes max towing 10-inch axle with 3.92 axle ratio, Trailer-Tow Group, 18 x 8-inch aluminum wheels and LT18-inch OWL On- /Off-Road tires (available with 5.7L HEMI V8 with eTorque or 3.0L EcoDiesel V6 4x2 Quad Cab® only) (AJL/AJQ)

My Guess is you want at least Trailer-Tow Group, and probably the Max Tow Group in addition.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Between Olivers…

OK ya'll, now I have a new sticker to show you. Well ok I won't post the whole thing but it's the 2021 Ram 1500 Rebel crew cab 4x4.

The tank is 33 gallons. Here is the stuff on the Tow Package and the GVWR. Surely this beast would easily tow an Elite I, with "stuff" in the TV (mainly my dog, who is a good 75-80 lbs, hahaha) and stuff in the Elite I.

900269899_ScreenShot2020-10-24at8_49_23AM.thumb.png.b02dcb237ebb51819fa5affbff15ce38.png

Screen Shot 2020-10-24 at 8.51.27 AM.png

Edited by SherMica

Ram 1500 Rebel 4x4

Now Sold

states.png

• Moderators
1 hour ago, SherMica said:

OK ya'll, now I have a new sticker to show you. Well ok I won't post the whole thing but it's the 2021 Ram 1500 Rebel crew cab 4x4.

The tank is 33 gallons. Here is the stuff on the Tow Package and the GVWR. Surely this beast would easily tow an Elite I, with "stuff" in the TV (mainly my dog, who is a good 75-80 lbs, hahaha) and stuff in the Elite I.

This Rebel is more than enough to tow an Elite I.  It’s essentially what I am driving now.  I see it has the brake controller which is a plus, that will also give you the trailer brake status on your instrument panel if you choose.  The 5.7L Hemi in the Rebel is plenty for the small Ollie.  

Rebels are not any more powerful than any other Ram 1500 with the 5.7.  The Rebel just gets you some cosmetic trim upgrades and some suspension upgrades.  I wish Ram would up the Rebel HP a little like Ford does with the Raptor.  Maybe slap on a supercharger?  The Rebel TRX does that with the bigger V8.  Mike

• Like 1

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

1 hour ago, SherMica said:

900269899_ScreenShot2020-10-24at8_49_23AM.thumb.png.b02dcb237ebb51819fa5affbff15ce38.png

Screen Shot 2020-10-24 at 8.51.27 AM.png

You will love the heads up display, especially if it shows turn by turn navigation.

What color?  

• Like 1

Ray and Susan Huff

2 hours ago, SherMica said:

Think I’m going for black. Matches my dog. Heh!

Black is nice, unless you live on a dirt road like we do . . . . . Most of the year it's either mud or dust!

• Like 1

Ray and Susan Huff

The Rebel is a very nice choice for a 1500 pickup, but be aware it has some “offroady” aspects like bigger (33”) All Terrain tires, upgraded suspension, skid plates and a 1” taller height. If you actually want these features (as I do, for boondocking and exploring the VAST network of unimproved roads in the West) then go for it. If you don’t want these features, and you want an easier to enter vehicle, plus a lower bed height, then a standard Ram 1500 would be a more logical choice. In terms of cool factor, the Rebel wins hands down.....

I don’t know if this has been mentioned before, if you plan to install a canopy, which I do recommend, do NOT buy the Ram Box option, since the box lids cannot open with a canopy in place. They will work with a retractable tonneau cover. The bed is also a lot narrower when you have the boxes, some people do not like this aspect.

4EB3E6A8-9C76-4375-9BA6-23E18489F955.thumb.jpeg.d6819e30b99cd0c35f9b9a57edbbe945.jpeg

Nice truck: https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a19561753/2019-ram-1500-rebel-first-drive-review/

Black especially, or any really dark color, is a bitch to keep looking nice, pardon my language, especially when traveling long term. White will match your Ollie, but any light color will be easier to maintain. I really like khaki (desert tan) since it is the color of dirt.... but they don’t offer “Dirt” in the Rebel color chart.😀

Always always, drive before you buy. Make sure it fits you, both physically and emotionally.....

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies
  • Like 3

• Moderators
3 hours ago, John E Davies said:

I don’t know if this has been mentioned before, if you plan to install a canopy, which I do recommend, do NOT buy the Ram Box option, since the box lids cannot open with a canopy in place. They will work with a retractable tonneau cover. The bed is also a lot narrower when you have the boxes, some people do not like this aspect.

4EB3E6A8-9C76-4375-9BA6-23E18489F955.thumb.jpeg.d6819e30b99cd0c35f9b9a57edbbe945.jpeg

I’ve had Ram 1500s with and without the Ram Boxes. I used a Bakflip tri-fold tonneau cover on both which provides nice security for stuff in the bed.  I don’t mind the squared sides of the bed with the Ram Box option.  That space isn’t always real usable anyway and I like being able to put tools, supplies and other things that need to be accessible in each Ram Box.  If you are going to go with a cap, like John says, don’t get them. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Mike and Carol said:

I’ve had Ram 1500s with and without the Ram Boxes. I used a Bakflip tri-fold tonneau cover on both

So, since you have lived with both configurations, if you bought another truck, would you specifically choose the Ram Boxes? I really like the storage concept, but I wish they had a drop door design that would function with a normal canopy. How effective are the seals in keeping out moisture and dust?

Thanks,

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies

• Moderators

One more thought on the Rebel (which I  actually love, btw.).

Beyond the huge physical step up into the cab and bed, there's a big/not quite huge but really big step up - in tire price, when every three to five years you have to change up tires, with 33" cool looking tires. 

You can get cool looks with blackout trim and black rims, and 20 inch a/t tires, if you're not an "offroader." All depends on what you want.

At the very least, even if you're tall, make sure there's a step up built into getting into the cab. We carry a two step folding ladder for the bed, with 20 inch tires. Even with smurf bars, I carry a footstool to get my mom into Paul's truck. She can barely make it into mine, with 17" tires, and running boards.

Food for thought. Especially when your big dog gets older.

Edited by SeaDawg
Add info

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, John E Davies said:

So, since you have lived with both configurations, if you bought another truck, would you specifically choose the Ram Boxes? I really like the storage concept, but I wish they had a drop door design that would function with a normal canopy. How effective are the seals in keeping out moisture and dust?

Thanks,

John Davies

Spokane WA

Yes.  If I get another Ram (either 1500 or 2500) I will get the Ram Box option.  I am not fond of the look of a cap/canopy on a pickup.  I prefer the look of a tonneau cover.  The seals work well, I’ve not noticed any moisture inside after a rain or after washing.  I keep a number of tools, bungies, and other things that I would not want to get wet in there. If the cover of the Ram Box was a drop door design I think more customers would get that option so they had more options as far as covering the bed, but I’m happy with the boxes and the tonneau cover.  

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, John E Davies said:

The Rebel is a very nice choice for a 1500 pickup, but be aware it has some “offroady” aspects like bigger (33”) All Terrain tires, upgraded suspension, skid plates and a 1” taller height. If you actually want these features (as I do, for boondocking and exploring the VAST network of unimproved roads in the West) then go for it. If you don’t want these features, and you want an easier to enter vehicle, plus a lower bed height, then a standard Ram 1500 would be a more logical choice. In terms of cool factor, the Rebel wins hands down.....

Nice truck: https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a19561753/2019-ram-1500-rebel-first-drive-review/

Black especially, or any really dark color, is a bitch to keep looking nice, pardon my language, especially when traveling long term. White will match your Ollie, but any light color will be easier to maintain. I really like khaki (desert tan) since it is the color of dirt.... but they don’t offer “Dirt” in the Rebel color chart.😀

Always always, drive before you buy. Make sure it fits you, both physically and emotionally.....

John Davies

Spokane WA

I def want those features. And I’m used to black vehicles. This beast is right up my alley. I can’t WAIT! 

Edited by SherMica
  • Thanks 1

Ram 1500 Rebel 4x4

Now Sold

states.png

3 hours ago, SeaDawg said:

One more thought on the Rebel (which I  actually love, btw.).

Beyond the huge physical step up into the cab and bed, there's a big/not quite huge but really big step up - in tire price, when every three to five years you have to change up tires, with 33" cool looking tires. 

You can get cool looks with blackout trim and black rims, and 20 inch a/t tires, if you're not an "offroader." All depends on what you want.

At the very least, even if you're tall, make sure there's a step up built into getting into the cab. We carry a two step folding ladder for the bed, with 20 inch tires. Even with smurf bars, I carry a footstool to get my mom into Paul's truck. She can barely make it into mine, with 17" tires, and running boards.

Food for thought. Especially when your big dog gets older.

I’m tall, kind of a tomboy, and a tough chick. Heh. Used to ride Harleys. Blah blah blah. Once lived in a tent a year and a half building a custom home in a remote area at 8000 ft with NO elec water etc. Been thru some crap. As have we all, I’m sure. One of these days — soon I hope — wanna meet up with some of you guys. 🙂 

Edited by SherMica
  • Like 2

Ram 1500 Rebel 4x4

Now Sold

states.png