Buffalo, WY help

topgun2

• Moderators

Anyone out there that has either camped or fished in the area just west of Buffalo, WY?

In thinking about my 2021 fishing trip out west I realized that I had never been due north of Casper and have heard that there was some good fishing without the crowds in the Buffalo area.  Certainly there are a number of campgrounds and streams just west of Buffalo but if anyone has actually been there any information would be appreciated.

Bill

p.s.  I prefer small to mid-sized streams with a bunch of trout and no people.  Of course, boondocking is always interesting.

• Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Bill, I don’t have any advice for this cool area of WY. But if you are a Longmire fan, this might be of interest, in mid August, no 2021 dates published yet.

http://craigallenjohnson.com/longmire-days.htm

Have you already fished the Wind River Mountains south of Lander? I know that area quite well but my knowledge is from 1974.... probably it is not of much use.😀

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators

Thanks, John.

Its been a few years since I've fished the area around Lander.  These days unless you are willing to don the backpack the crowds are simply too much.  The Sinks Canyon area is beyond ridiculous on the weekends and even during the week it is a bit silly.  This past summer I was camped just outside Dubois and one of my neighbors was from Lander while the other neighbor was from Jackson.  Both said that they were trying to get away from the crowds.

Bill 

• Thanks 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

I drive past Buffalo every year on my way to and from MT, but have never fished there.  In fact, I just drove by Buffalo at the end of last month after fishing for several weeks in SW MT.   I would suggest contacting one of the fly shops in Sheridan, like the Fly Shop of the Bighorns, and ask them if you don’t get your answers here.

I believe you are looking more for boondocking locations, but I could recommend the Deer Park Campground in Buffalo or Peter D’s RV Park in Sheridan if you’re looking for full service campgrounds to stay in.  I’ve stayed in both of those multiple times, as have a number of my friends.  I’ve also stayed overnight a few times at the rest stop located on the east side of Sheridan along Interstate 90.  That one is nice and clean, and is located a bit off the interstate so it is a quieter than most, and sits on a hill side overlooking the town.

Lake De Smet is right next to the interstate just west of Buffalo and I understand it has some pretty big trout in it.  I don’t see many people fishing it when I drive by, and I always tell myself I should stop to check it out, but never do.   I’m sure there are some small streams in the area, and other lakes to fish in too.

• Thanks 2

• Moderators

Flyfisher - 

Thanks for the info!

My plan would be to approach Buffalo from the south and after a few days in that area I'll head due west towards Meeteese.  So, I doubt if I'll venture up towards Sheridan.  Your recommendation for Deer Park Campground is helpful in that I will probably need to fill my fresh water tank and possibly dump before hitting the boonies.

I rarely fish "still water" unless I feel like looking for bank cruisers early or late in the day.  But, usually where there are lakes there will be small streams coming into or going out of them that people overlook.

Bill

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • Moderators

About the same time I started this thread I also contacted the Buffalo, WY Chamber of Commerce.  Apparently there was a bit of a snafu in their office but once that was straightened out they sent me a very nice packet of information including information regarding local museums, camping, sightseeing, fishing and real maps.

Having received this after I had already basically set my schedule I now wish I had allotted more time for visiting this area.  Perhaps next year.

Moral of the story is that if you have the time it just might be worth that email to a local Chamber of Commerce.

Bill

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

Bill,  thanks for the tip on contacting the Chamber of Commerce.  I just called them and requested literature for an upcoming trip my wife and I have planned for Wyoming.  I had a very pleasant phone call with someone who was very eager to help with getting me information about what to do in that area.  

Hope you have a great fishing trip! 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

ALCTKYMENHNYNCPATNVTVAWVsm.jpg2021 Elite 2 Hull # 832 "Bucket List"

2021 F250 7.3L Gas / 4.30 AR