Outside Shower leaking into hull

Has anyone experienced the outside shower box leaking on the inside, dripping down into the hull?  It leaks on the input side around one of the rubber gaskets between two pieces.  I have replaced both pieces to no avail.  I may just order a complete replacement but this one from Fontana doesn't appear to be the quality that Oliver normally installs.  I'll first search for a better replacement that will fit the cutout.   Thanks for any feedback.

• Sad 1

• Moderators

I've had no problems with the outdoor shower on my Oliver.  But, I did have one develop a leak in a camper I owned previously.  Indeed, the plastic "feeder tube" or "mixer" area of that shower had cracked thus requiring a total replacement.

If you decide that you are going to replace the unit you might want to give Jason in Service a call, asking what price he'd charge for the unit.

Bill

• Like 3

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

I had a similar problem this summer, with water leaking inside the hull from the outside shower unit. The insulation below was wet, and water was coming out of the seep holes. 

923416921_IMG_4092annotated.thumb.JPG.c38c14339ebebb6f88cd897aecb344e1.JPG

When the shower valves were open, there was water coming out of the hole in the photo. 

584242134_IMG_4090annotated.thumb.JPG.565103438eb848a63f5d64367741edf9.JPG

I found part numbers from the manufacturer’s web site, and then found parts on Amazon. 

Replacement Vacuum Breaker. https://www.amazon.com/Fontana-97022-006-DB-Replacement-Vacuum-Breaker/dp/B015Q89WCM

Replacement Straight Nipple, Seal Collar and O-Rings. https://www.amazon.com/Fontana-97020-080-DB-Replacement-Straight-Nipple/dp/B015Q89WA4

Replacement Faucet Set. https://www.amazon.com/ITC-97022008-Exterior-Shower-Repair/dp/B007HRVOHW

They also had the entire unit for $99: https://www.amazon.com/Fontanna-97022-Compact-Exterior-Shower/dp/B019F81FQ0

I contacted Jason in Service, and he said that it would be much easier to replace the unit than to try to swap out parts in that hard-to-reach space. He also was able to send me a replacement unit for a price much cheaper than Amazon's. 

The outdoor shower unit is held in place by rivets, and since I don't have a rivet gun, I called a mobile RV tech that I had used previously, and he came out to where my trailer was stored and installed it. He charged me $75 for 45 minutes work. 

So, I agree with @topgun2 and I suggest you call Jason. 

• Thanks 2
  • Like 3

David Stillman, Salt Lake City, Utah

2016 Oliver Elite II  Hull 164    |    2017 Audi Q7 tow vehicle. 

Travel and Photography Blog: http://davidstravels.net

@DavidS, that exactly where mine is leaking.  As soon as I turn water on it spurts out from several places.  I've replaced the Straight Nipple, with new seal collar and o-ring but no improvement.  Fontana has a new model out that I'm trying to find out if it is an exact replacement for the 9"x4.5" cut out.  It looks better made.   I also have a note into Jason to see if they are using the newer model and the price on a replacement unit.  I'll keep this post updated as I make progress.

Also DavidS I enjoyed looking through your travel photos.

Edited by dfdouglas
  • Like 1

I'd suggest that if you're going through the trouble of repairing or replacing the shower box, that you add some cutoff valves on the water lines.  This will allow you a quick solution to any future problems and might also be useful when traveling through cold weather, to cut off the supply and drain the unit as best you can.  

If you get the new model, I'd be interested if it performs any better than the old one.  I wouldn't say that mine trickles, but it's not exactly forceful either.  

Edited by Overland
  • Like 3

• Moderators

That's a really vulnerable area for freezing, as it is in any rv with an outside shower. And, it's easy to forget when winterizing. (Ask me how I know... yup.) We replaced ours once already . 

I think a bypass/shutoff , as I  have said before, would be a grand idea. 

• Like 3

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/27/2020 at 2:52 PM, SeaDawg said:

That's a really vulnerable area for freezing, as it is in any rv with an outside shower. And, it's easy to forget when winterizing. (Ask me how I know... yup.) We replaced ours once already . 

I think a bypass/shutoff , as I  have said before, would be a grand idea. 

How much do people actually use the outdoor shower?  I would like the option to at least drain it and have a cutoff valve for Winter use.

• Like 1

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

• Moderators
48 minutes ago, Susan Huff said:

How much do people actually use the outdoor shower?  I would like the option to at least drain it and have a cutoff valve for Winter use.

Mostly, people use it for doing dishes, and washing dogs, from what I've seen.

And yes, we've actually used it as an outdoor shower. But noone uses it in the winter, I'm sure.😅

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

37 minutes ago, SeaDawg said:

yes, we've actually used it as an outdoor shower

Yeah,  I can  totally  see doing that while boondocking in  decent weather in a sufficiently  private spot. But I like your shutoff idea

Jim and  Yanna, Woodinville WA

2004 Ford E250 camper conversion

Oliver Elite II hull #709

4 hours ago, SeaDawg said:

Mostly, people use it for doing dishes, and washing dogs, from what I've seen.

And yes, we've actually used it as an outdoor shower. But noone uses it in the winter, I'm sure.😅

We don't have a dog . . . . nice for cleaning off dirty feet, but I could live without it.

Sure would be nice to not have to worry about leaky connections or freeze damage.

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg