Anyone signing up for Starlink?

Overland

• Moderators

Spacex launched another full raft if satellites a few days ago. As long as they don't go broke, this will likely be our best bet for reliable mobile satellite internet, I think. 

https://www.space.com/spacex-starlink-29-internet-satellites-launch-webcast

Someday..

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

I've had Starlink since March.  Figured I'd chime in with my experiences - 

- I've yet to mount the dish permanently (it will end up on the roof using their volcano mount), it's still sitting in our yard on the ground.  I just move it to mow.  It is heated, so I have no concerns about snow.  Indiana isn't exactly Arizona, but it still gets warm here in the summer - no issues with overheating.

- Outages are minimal.  Had more outages when we first got it - typically ~15-30min/week if I had to guess.  There was a single 4hr outage right after we got it.  Outages were usually no more than 2 minutes back then, with the rare longer one.  For the last several months - I have never noticed an outage in usage.  The outage tracking in our app shows about 4 per day, but they're like 2 seconds each.   They do sometimes push updates - this is typically around 3-4am, and one or both of the dish or router will reboot/update - this is typically in the 15-20min range.  The app is used to control both the dish & router - they've consistently updated it to add functionality over time.  I can reboot both the router & dish remotely.  It has stats and you can run a speedtest.  

- The included router is pretty decent.  It originally had almost no user controllable features - now it has a few more via updates, but still not very many.  It works great though - I've kept the 2.4ghz signal on my cell phone mowing our 5acre yard for example.  I've had it in our garage, so it's pretty tolerant of heat as well.  The 5ghz signal penetrates to our bedroom - furthest away from the garage you can get, so it doesn't propagate too bad either.  You can replace it with your own router if you want.  I've so far seen no reason to dig out a more advanced router I have from our last residence.  

- Speeds are very good.  There is some variation.  The outer range limits are typically about 50-300Mbps download and 10-35Mbps upload.  Ping is typically in the 25-60ms range.  I'd say the average is typically in the middle - I almost always hit the 2.4ghz bandwidth limits on the wi-fi (50-80mbs in the house, depending which room), and I'd say 80-120mbs is the typical download range (15-25ish upload).  Ping tends to hang closer to 45ms on avg.  All of these speeds have improved since we first got it.  

- We live on a hill in the middle of a field - there are no obstructions close except the house, and I didn't put it close enough for that to be an issue.  The app has a few ways to help check for obstructions/monitor for them.  Users who have obstructions can still get service - just with some limits due to the arcs - lots of reports in other locations of people with some very tall trees around them - would be worth reading up on those.  You still need line of sight to enough of the sky though.  Some reports of people who have put it on the top of telephone poles and such.  Rain has yet to cause any interruptions - the satellites are only around 250 miles up or so.  Snow shouldn't cause issues either, nor should any accumulation (the dish is heated).  

The service is a game changer in rural areas IMO.  My only internet options are cellular and a local WISP.  I can see the interstate from my house and a small town - I'm within 20 miles of three different small cities (pop 20k-60k each).  I can see two cell towers from my front porch.  The cellular - our local towers are not upgraded for any of the Home Internet options, and two of the cell companies are in a position that we can get good high speed service with an exterior antenna, but inside the house (and neighbors not on the hill) service is much slower.  Plus, since there is no home internet option, we'd blow through cell data caps instantly.  Prior to Starlink we were doing illegal tethering to our cell phones vis usb.  Traditional sat internet is just bad.  The WISP is pretty decent, but I'd have to put up a 30-40ft tower to get over some treetops to get line-of-sight with some of their equipment.  They have speeds slower than Starlink for less, but for $100/mo I'd be getting speeds 1/3rd the speed of Starlink.  Plus there is sometimes weather related issues with the microwave dishes.  Starlink, at this point, is functionally identical to our old Comcast cable internet in town - the speeds are almost the same.  Comcast had a slight edge in latency and price, but even those differences weren't super large.  

I can't wait to see their mobile options.  While nice for RVers, it could also be a game-changer for boats.  The technology behind the dishes, satellites, and how they work is pretty amazing.  Musk can be controversial, but SpaceX and Starlink are a lifeline to a ton of underserved rural areas & remote workers.  I would highly recommend Starlink based on our experience to anyone in similar circumstances.  

• Thanks 5
  • Like 4

• Moderators

@Annwn Thank you so much for the personal observations! 

I agree, this will be a game changer for so many people in rural areas. 

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

9 hours ago, mossemi said:

Thank you for the excellent write up!

Mossey

Your welcome!  That was my first post!  Wanted to give back a bit after devouring the forum for the last few days.  I only just heard about the forum a week ago when looking at some fiberglass camper brands (I was already familiar with Bigfoot and Escape) and hearing of the Oliver name spoken of in hushed & awesome tones.  Did some research - was absolutely amazed there was a company making a camper how I'd want one to be made - true durability, good service, and who is responsive in changing their features for their customers.  The info here is great as we try to decide if we want to wait for a used Oliver or get a production slot. 

• Like 2

• Moderators

Sometimes Olivers are talked about in whispers and hushed tones out there in fiberglass and aluminum trailer land.  Here on this forum most of us are loud and obnoxious when talking about our trailers!  😆

I also enjoyed your write up on Starlink.  It’s good to get first hand experience.  Thanks!  Mike

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

I signed up and paid the deposit months ago, received an email yesterday with a $450.00 Payment due in order for them to send me the system and I could not hit the "take my money" button fast enough. 

I do not expect anything close to perfection, but where I am located in SW Montana the only thing available is 19-20 MB and that is already spotty so it wont take a lot to improve my situation. 

I will update as there is something to say, No, I do not know when I will receive the equipment, only that they did take my $450.00 and "its being shipped". This is not an RV system just the standard system. 

Dan

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, fairmontrvpark said:

the only thing available is 19-20 MB and that is already spotty

@fairmontrvparkfor those that are remote and needing satellite I am just wondering if anyone is using HugesNet or Viasat as those seems to be the only big players right now. Viasat says you can get up to 100Mbps and HugesNet is only 25Mbps. Just wondering of those needing this type of service what you are using (Based on this thread it seems obvious none of the current satellite players and fulfilling the need). 

Our son and daughter-in-law just installed Starlink at home where they don't have cell reception.  She works a lot from home, and they were relying on Hughes Net, which was unbearably slow.  They say Starlink is 500% faster.

We are going to hold out for our Rural Electric Coop fiber, but it might be a few years before we are connected.  As for mobil data, we still rely on cellular for connectivity on the road.  Most always we have service around towns and plan our needs accordingly.  Sometimes it's a pain, but that's life!

• Thanks 1

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

On 9/23/2021 at 11:59 AM, Zodd said:

@fairmontrvparkfor those that are remote and needing satellite I am just wondering if anyone is using HugesNet or Viasat as those seems to be the only big players right now. Viasat says you can get up to 100Mbps and HugesNet is only 25Mbps. Just wondering of those needing this type of service what you are using (Based on this thread it seems obvious none of the current satellite players and fulfilling the need). 

Currently on a microwave system, not at all interested in using either of the companies mentioned above. 

If Starlink can provide anything close to what Annwnn describes in their post I will be very satisfied. 

• Like 1

I have Starlink and it's very fast with low latency. I believe Viasat & HugesNet are using high orbit satellites and will have extremely high latency/delay, won't work well for video conferences. Starlink is using low orbit satellites, so far it's been working well. It's very easy to set up and it's the same monthly price I paid for slow DSL internet. Highly recommend.

• Thanks 2
  • Like 1

2021 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #854
2021 Ford Expedition Platinum

On 9/28/2021 at 12:16 PM, sak said:

I have Starlink and it's very fast with low latency. I believe Viasat & HugesNet are using high orbit satellites and will have extremely high latency/delay, won't work well for video conferences. Starlink is using low orbit satellites, so far it's been working well. It's very easy to set up and it's the same monthly price I paid for slow DSL internet. Highly recommend.

Yep, you nailed it on Viasat/Hughes vs Starlink sats.  Starlink sats are like 250-280ish miles up.  ViaSat/Hughes have geosync sats - they're stationary about 22k miles out.  Round trip on Starlink is like 500ish miles - round trip on the others is 44k miles.  There's also like 30 of their sats or so at geosync for traffic vs like 1400+ for Starlink (will eventually be MUCH more).  

On 9/23/2021 at 1:52 PM, fairmontrvpark said:

I signed up and paid the deposit months ago, received an email yesterday with a $450.00 Payment due in order for them to send me the system and I could not hit the "take my money" button fast enough. 

I do not expect anything close to perfection, but where I am located in SW Montana the only thing available is 19-20 MB and that is already spotty so it wont take a lot to improve my situation. 

I will update as there is something to say, No, I do not know when I will receive the equipment, only that they did take my $450.00 and "its being shipped". This is not an RV system just the standard system. 

Dan

Looking at my emails - I paid on the 23rd and the email claimed it could take 2-3 weeks to actually ship due to heavy volume.  It shipped only a week later - on the 30th, and arrived 6 days later (from Hawthorne, CA via FedEx, no signature required).  The mount/install accessory stuff on the other hand...were much more delayed/backordered.   Would recommend checking out - https://www.reddit.com/r/Starlink/ if anyone has questions or would like more info from owners.  

• Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...

The equipment arrived rather quickly as described above, It is installed and working and the following are the results to date. 

Local Provider via Microwave type system;

Mbps Download - 22.3 

Mbps Upload - 1.91

Latency - 39 ms

Star Link:

Mbps Download - 152.9

Mbps Upload - 3.00

Latency - 40

Thus far Star Link is the ONLY option for us with these types of internet connection speeds. Now to see how reliable it is with our weather patterns.  

I personally have yet to experience it as I am sitting in Guthrie Oklahoma in Hull #928 (my pick up date was bumped up two weeks) but I was so happy to hear this report from my office that I decided to update my post here. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

I’m still on the fence on all this as I am with solar.  Is this system going to wind up like satellite dish Tv?  No one talks about this any more because of its poor performance due to weather and solar flares. I’m sure this is the thing of the future. Like a new model year vehicle everyone has to be the first to own one. I always wait a model year or two to get all the bugs worked out. As far as mobile WiFi for traveling  my GM vehicle has OnStar for $20.00 a month unlimited data for WiFi  while traveling across the country  we never had a connection problem.  I haven’t grasped yet all this new technology I still like my old school ways. Anyone seen my news paper? Couldn’t even find a news paper emoji to end with. 🙄

Grant  2022 GMC Denali 2500 HD 2019  Elite 11😎

8 hours ago, Landrover said:

As far as mobile WiFi for traveling  my GM vehicle has OnStar for $20.00 a month unlimited data for WiFi  while traveling across the country  we never had a connection problem. 

That is good to hear, but did you get into any of the more remote mountain/ desert Western areas where cell coverage is poor at best, and sometimes non-existent? What kind of speeds did you see?

Does the Onstar system act as a cell booster?

Thanks.

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

9 hours ago, John E Davies said:

That is good to hear, but did you get into any of the more remote mountain/ desert Western areas where cell coverage is poor at best, and sometimes non-existent? What kind of speeds did you see?

Does the Onstar system act as a cell booster?

Thanks.

John Davies

Spokane WA

JD 

Good questions. I cant give you the answers except that we were in some of the higher  elevations Breckinridge Colorado no WiFi loss we did have cell service problems with at&t some said Verizon is better out west.  We did need cell service one time.  We used the Onstar operator to make a call. And Onstar also found us the nearest camp site and made all the arrangements. At the time Onstar complete pkg was $65,00 a month with WiFi  if I ever make another 6mo voyage I will use the Onstar system again.  Short trips just the WiFi works well. 

• Like 1

Grant  2022 GMC Denali 2500 HD 2019  Elite 11😎

• 4 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Starlink is offering a new antenna, half the weight of the original, and physically a bit smaller, as well. 

https://techcrunch.com/2021/11/12/starlinks-new-rectangular-satellite-broadband-dish-is-smaller-and-lighter-than-before/amp/

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

On 9/23/2021 at 12:59 PM, Zodd said:

We had Hughes Net at one time but it constantly buffered. We ended up canceling it and just use our cell service. We are signed up about 6 months now and still waiting on Mid-Late 2021... 😞

• Sad 2

Charlie & Cindy / Cleburne, TX / 2021 Elite II Hull #743 / 2013 Ford F250 Diesel 4WD Supercab

States we've camped in our Oliver:

ALAZLANMTNTXUTsm.jpg

• Moderators

Well, here's an interesting twist. Starlink and verizon working together?

https://qz.com/2081223/amazon-wants-to-make-your-cell-phone-into-a-satellite-phone/

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

I just got an email last night that my mid to late 2021 delivery is delayed until March 22 because of silicone shortage delaying satellite launches... I've been on the waiting list for almost 9mo now. Maybe someday we'll be able to have a working internet where we live.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Charlie & Cindy / Cleburne, TX / 2021 Elite II Hull #743 / 2013 Ford F250 Diesel 4WD Supercab

ALAZLANMTNTXUTsm.jpg

• Moderators

I got a similar email, but no date. 

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

On 11/24/2021 at 2:27 PM, SeaDawg said:

I got a similar email, but no date. 

I actually had to sign on to my log in to find the new date. It wasn't in the email. Once you log in to your account page from the link in the email, scroll down about half way the new date is listed there.

• Like 1

ALAZLANMTNTXUTsm.jpg

It's all relative to wants and needs.  My company pays $425 a month for internet for one of our employees to work from his home - and that's for just 20 down and 20 up.  It was the only thing available several years ago and we had to beg for it since it was for business from a residence.  Obviously, we're interested in trying out Starlink's service. 

• Like 1

ALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMA

Arizona | 2020 Oliver Elite II Twin bed Hull #617 | 2021 Ram 1500 e-Hemi 4x4

• 3 months later...
  • Moderators

An FYI. We've been on the waiting list for the fixed starlink service. I got a notice today that prices are increasing. 

20220323_075933.jpg

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4