What DO I need to buy before I pick up Ollie Elite I?

Moonlight Mile

I am a newbie to RVs (does it show?) and excited beyond all belief. Going to go FT w dog. That’s it. You probably see me asking lame qs all over here even though I don’t get the Ollie Elite I til late Jan. Yes, dead of winter. Got a new tow vehicle and all (tomorrow!) and ya’ll have been SUPER patient and kind with me. MUCH appreciated.

So, my “plan” is to pick up Ollie in late Jan and hang around Hohenwald a week (or more?) after pickup/delivery. With dawg. Learning. Campgrounds?  Nearby Ollie factory, til I feel comfortable towing, operating, doing whatever I need to do to be safe and enjoy it all. No big hurry to “get” anywhere, although I am moving to establish “domicile” etc. — looking at SD. Yeah, I know. Cold. Winter. 

So yes it will be in the dead of winter and I have no idea what that’s like in TN during “pickup Ollie day” or after. Wherever we may roam.

What basic stuff that does not come with my Ollie would I need? Tire chains? A parka? A space heater? MREs? Heh.

Hoses? Stuff to keep Ollie from freezing up? A snow shovel? Generator? Which? What “basic toolbox” would I want to have?

My sense of humor is weird, I know. But if there are things ya’ll know of that I can order in advance while I have a real mailing address, in Nov and Dec, and most of Jan, let me know.

I’m not actually crazy. Just wanna be as prepared as I can. For winter roaming in a new Ollie with muh dawg. Thanks all. Oh. And feel free to message me.

Edited by SeaDawg
  • Like 1

2021 Elite 1 -- Hull #731

Ram 1500 Rebel 4x4

Now Sold

states.png

• Moderators

My advice: resist the temptation to buy too much stuff that you won't use.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 4

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

17 minutes ago, SeaDawg said:

My advice: resist the temptation to buy too much stuff that you won't use.

Is this possible? I failed - miserably .

• Haha 2

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

• Moderators
3 hours ago, BackofBeyond said:

Is this possible? I failed - miserably .

I did too!  But, it’s good advice.  Get the basics then add as you need.  Between Amazon, Camping World and Walmart getting what you need is not difficult. 

• Like 3

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• Moderators

When we picked up, I  honestly didn't bring a lot of extra stuff.  

Chocks, a few leveling blocks,, first aid kit,  bedding. Clothes. 

For several days I'd add several items. A way to make coffee, and a mug/s.  Small tool kit. A few  Paper plates and some silverware. 

I  think it's important to be able to focus,  and learn, and not be dumpster diving in the pickup bed, looking for everything  . Learn the trailer systems.

We often have to fly to pick up delivery rvs. One duffel handles my clothes, and other kitchen gear. My husband packs first aid kit and small tool kit. We buy the rest along the way, as needed.

One pot, one pan, one cutting board, a few good knives. For me, a tea kettle is indispensable.  But, I often buy that along the way, too 

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Doggy preparedness: 

1. A dog first aid kit & book. 

2. Skip getting a pretty rug for inside the door. Get two turf-like/shoe-scraper ones, one for outside & one for inside. Grass & sand will still get beyond them, but not as much.

3. Cordless stick vacuum. You don't want the little short ones because the exhaust sends into orbit what you're trying to suck up.

4. A broom with a small head. I found a great one at the dollar store. 

5. These towels because, like our dogs, terry cloth never dries.  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00RSQH0N4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apap_nShgBHG4HMpAn

6. A way to restrain your pup while on the road. We use this harness & seatbelt thing.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B014IJNP3C/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_PK3MFbZD2V7KW?psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D8XRNWR/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_mJ3MFbEC4DWCQ

7. We built a platform for the back seat of truck. It keeps dogs off upholstery, makes it easier for them to see out the windows, & provides extra storage underneath. 

8. What seems like a lifetime supply of poo bags. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MBY2694/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_c82MFbK96X5RE?psc=1

9. A length of cotton rope & a couple carabiners to give you flexibility of where you tie up your furbaby & the ability to do it quickly. Those plastic coated wire lines are friction burning neck breakers. 

20201029_210440.jpg

20201029_214337.jpg

20201029_214317.jpg

Edited by ShallowGal
Fixed link
  • Thanks 2
  • Like 3
Chris & Duke Chadwell
🐾Maddie & Baxter🐾
Elite II Hull 292
2022 F-250 Lariat 7.3 Godzilla 4x4 Lakeland,FL

Good advice by ShallowGal!!!!  We had our 11 year old dog Marley with us last year in our Tundra.  Unfortunately, Marley (part pug part Shar pei) passed away in June.  We miss him so much.  He was an awesome dog!!  Our lives are not complete with out a dog so on November 14 our new puppy will arrive.  He is a medium-sized Labradoodle.  He will likely be named Baxter (after the Maine State Park)  He will go on our journey with us this year.  We have a lot of training ahead of us before we leave in Late January or early February.  We like traveling with our dog!!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Fritz said:

Has anyone built something to protect the screendoor from dogs that occasionally scratch as a signal to get out? 

A piece of expanded metal from Home Depot ($15). Cut to size.  A piece of plastic edging designed for plastic bathroom panels ($2).  Four short self tapping screws into pre drilled holes in the door. We did put beveled trim washers under the screw heads to expand the gripping area. Done. The local RV dealer had screen door guards for high $80.

In the Spring, with the guard approaching four years old, I probably will remove. It will then be primed and painted and reinstalled. It has developed a few small spots of surface rust. A little steel wool would remove, but how much fun would that be.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

We came from a Casita, so we learned to travel lite and still doing it today with the Elite II. We camped some 40 plus years ago with a 30" travel trailer and I can tell you we pretty much camp and carry the same things we did back them. Sure we have more update items today, but in general and fork is a fork and a grill is a grill.

trainman

• Like 3

2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.

3 hours ago, Mainiac said:

A piece of expanded metal from Home Depot ($15). Cut to size. 

It has developed a few small spots of surface rust. A little steel wool would remove, but how much fun would that be.

FYI you can avoid that “fun” by purchasing aluminum at a specialty metals supplier rather than plain low carbon steel. No rust, and much lighter.

https://alcobrametals.com/product/1-2-x-081-3003-aluminum-expanded-flattened/

You could get stainless steel but that is overkill for dog claws and two square feet would cost $50.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies
  • Thanks 3
  • Like 2

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

13 hours ago, ShallowGal said:

Doggy preparedness: 

1. A dog first aid kit & book. 

2. Skip getting a pretty rug for inside the door. Get two turf-like/shoe-scraper ones, one for outside & one for inside. Grass & sand will still get beyond them, but not as much.

3. Cordless stick vacuum. You don't want the little short ones because the exhaust sends into orbit what you're trying to suck up.

4. A broom with a small head. I found a great one at the dollar store. 

5. These towels because, like our dogs, terry cloth never dries.  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00RSQH0N4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apap_nShgBHG4HMpAn

6. A way to restrain your pup while on the road. We use this harness & seatbelt thing.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B014IJNP3C/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_PK3MFbZD2V7KW?psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D8XRNWR/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_mJ3MFbEC4DWCQ

7. We built a platform for the back seat of truck. It keeps dogs off upholstery, makes it easier for them to see out the windows, & provides extra storage underneath. 

8. What seems like a lifetime supply of poo bags. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MBY2694/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_c82MFbK96X5RE?psc=1

9. A length of cotton rope & a couple carabiners to give you flexibility of where you tie up your furbaby & the ability to do it quickly. Those plastic coated wire lines are friction burning neck breakers. 

20201029_210440.jpg

20201029_214337.jpg

20201029_214317.jpg

I already have almost all that you listed! Dog person and all! Great list, and thank you!

• Like 1

2021 Elite 1 -- Hull #731

Ram 1500 Rebel 4x4

Now Sold

states.png

15 hours ago, SeaDawg said:

When we picked up, I  honestly didn't bring a lot of extra stuff.  

Chocks, a few leveling blocks,, first aid kit,  bedding. Clothes. 

For several days I'd add several items. A way to make coffee, and a mug/s.  Small tool kit. A few  Paper plates and some silverware. 

I  think it's important to be able to focus,  and learn, and not be dumpster diving in the pickup bed, looking for everything  . Learn the trailer systems.

We often have to fly to pick up delivery rvs. One duffel handles my clothes, and other kitchen gear. My husband packs first aid kit and small tool kit. We buy the rest along the way, as needed.

One pot, one pan, one cutting board, a few good knives. For me, a tea kettle is indispensable.  But, I often buy that along the way, too 

I am limiting what we take to whatever will fit in the back seat of the pickup: four totes of camping "essentials", two small totes of supplies to use on the journey to Hohenwald, bedding, and warm weather clothing. Trailer related gear (chocks, leveling blocks, tools, tire chains, anti-freeze, tank treatment, etc.) will stow in the pickup bed toolbox.  In addition we are taking a cooler of food for meals on the road.  Hey, if you've got the room, why not use it? 

We have a long drive home in December, so could be faced with weather related delays. We plan take our time and to be on the road at least 10 days.  I'm sure we'll be making a few purchases after delivery. 

• Like 2

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

In reply to Fritz - I bought some heavy duty frosted vinyl, cut it to the size of the screen door area I wanted to protect, attached velcro dots to the vinyl and the door frame, then stuck the vinyl in place. Some day I'd like to do a plexiglass panel but the vinyl has worked for a year.

• Like 1

David Caswell and Paula Saltmarsh

Hull 509 "The Swallow"

16 hours ago, ShallowGal said:

A length of cotton rope & a couple carabiners to give you flexibility of where you tie up your furbaby & the ability to do it quickly. Those plastic coated wire lines are friction burning neck breakers. 

We use one of those plastic coated wire lines attached to a Balance brand harness on our  dog (attached to  the front, not the top).  BUT we anchor the  line to  something like a  picnic table or whatever is  handy using one of those ultra  beefy rubber  bungies that people use to  hold down  truck  bed covers  and  such. I've used channel lock pliers to  bend the hooks on  each  end to  be closed, and I wrap the bungie around the anchor point and  use a climbing locking carabiner (i.e. one that's  been  tested for relatively high tension loads, unlike the cheaper "carabiners") to clip the two hook/loops together along with the anchor end of the plastic coated  wire  line. The rubber provides a nice dynamic spring if the  dog darts off after a squirrel or some such. A good dynamic load rope  (i.e. a 9 or 10 mm dynamic climbing rope) would give some degree  of spring but  the rubber bungie is  even  more forgiving for  the  dog than a relatively  short length of dynamic load rope (you  do NOT want to use "static load" rope which has little to no give!). This has worked well for us for two dogs and well over a decade of use while van camping.

• Like 2

Jim and  Yanna, Woodinville WA

2004 Ford E250 camper conversion

Oliver Elite II hull #709

Here are a few shots  of the dog connection I described in that last reply. 

Here's an example of a similar carabiner to what I'm  using (i.e. one tested and certified for climbing use, thus assured not to be cheesy soft  metal etc.). Non locking would be fine also - it's  unlikely the  dog would somehow maneuver the  carabiner into a position where  the gate would  accidentally open. But since I have some of both types in my climbing gear kit,  I grabbed this type.

And this is  the  harness we use - this also  helps a LOT with control of the dog while  walking, is  super  adjustable  so doesn't interfere with  the  dog's gait if adjusted properly, and much better  distributes  any load that  comes when the dog might dart  after a critter while on a fixed  line, springy  or not, versus attaching to the collar.

IMG_7317.jpg

IMG_7316.jpg

Edited by Jim_Oker
  • Like 2

On  a separate note, I agree with some of the  comments above about  starting  out relatively light and adding as you go and find out what else  you  might need. Most of what I've wished for  while out on the  road has been  readily  available at places like Wally  World, Home Depot,  or  various sporting goods stores that are scattered  throughout the nation.

• Like 2

• Moderators
23 hours ago, Fritz said:

Has anyone built something to protect the screendoor from dogs that occasionally scratch as a signal to get out? 

Since my dogs are short and visually stimulated, I use corrugated sign board and 3M Command picture hanging strips to block their view.  I do lose air circulation through the lower screen.  And after the elections, you can recycle the political signs which will be in plentiful supply.

Mossey

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

23 hours ago, Mattnan said:

He will likely be named Baxter (after the Maine State Park) 

Too funny! Baxter State Park was the inspiration for our boy's name. I must warn you, when you are screaming his name (because he & his sister are playing tug-of-war with a possum) it sounds like you are saying something quite inappropriate. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 7
Chris & Duke Chadwell
🐾Maddie & Baxter🐾
Elite II Hull 292
2022 F-250 Lariat 7.3 Godzilla 4x4 Lakeland,FL

On 10/30/2020 at 7:22 PM, ShallowGal said:

Baxter State Park

Such a great place - it's one of the places I miss from New England despite having the  amazing Cascade and  Olympic mountain ranges very near  my current home of  WA.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 10/30/2020 at 12:02 PM, GraniteStaters said:

In reply to Fritz - I bought some heavy duty frosted vinyl, cut it to the size of the screen door area I wanted to protect, attached velcro dots to the vinyl and the door frame, then stuck the vinyl in place. Some day I'd like to do a plexiglass panel but the vinyl has worked for a year.

I am bringing some vinyl to protect the screen door when we pick up the  the trailer in 3 weeks (we're coming with dogs).   I hope to velcro, rivet, or even temporarily tape it to the screen door soon after delivery.  What is the approximate size of the lower portion of the screen door?

in advance, thanks for measuring!  

2021 Oliver LE2
Ram 2500 diesel