Not Since Dinosaurs Roamed The Earth Have I Had A New Vehicle. It's HERE NOW.

Moonlight Mile

Thanks to all for EVERYTHING. Someone said they wanted to know if I had taken possession of the new (2021) Ram 1500 4x4 Hemi Rebel with the tow package included.

I do have it. First new vehicle in about 20 years. So much cool tech. I do web dev, among other things, but man, this is automotive, not web, and this is blowing my mind. I had no clue car tech was this advanced. (Ah, so many things "can" go wrong. 27 computer modules or something.) But, it has heads-up display, it's badass looking, I LOVE the height of it and have NO trouble getting in and out, and I love the power of the V8 (which I was used to), and the nav and the even disembodied voice coming at me. I like that it makes tacos and shoots them out the glove box at me on voice command. (Well, it seems like it could.) All of it. So much to learn. For those just joining us, I'll be towing an Elite 1 (late Jan deliv) and this is my Tow Vehicle. There are many like it but this one is mine. I am attaching a pic of it parked next to my nabe's SUV, which my Rebel looks like it could eat -- as a snack. Snarf!

Here is the door sticker for your Truck Nerdz. And I could not be more excited. I love this thing! LOVE IT. Married it and had its babies LOVE IT.  My dog LOVES it. Dogs and trucks, trucks and dogs. YAAAAAAHHHS.

The sales guy at OTT is still telling me to get the Anderson. I am calling tomorrow to discuss this further while there is still time. FYI. Also shopping for a generator that will fit in Ollie "basket" option (or in whatever one buys to cover the back of a Ram 1500 Rebel securely) and which has a propane option. Still so much to learn, obviously. Overwhelming at times, but thank you all again!

dinosaur.jpg

ram sticker 1.jpg

ram sticker 2.jpg

my rebel.jpeg

Edited by SherMica
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

2021 Elite 1 -- Hull #731

Ram 1500 Rebel 4x4

Now Sold

states.png

8 minutes ago, topgun2 said:

That puppy will not even know that it has an Elite I behind it!  Enjoy the heck out of it!

Bill

Thank you Bill! I am already just in shock most of the time. I cannot BELIEVE it. Any of it. What a long haul of a few rough years, etc. This is some kinda cool miracle. THANK YOU.

Ram 1500 Rebel 4x4

Now Sold

states.png

• Moderators

Awesome truck!!!

Congratulations! I  understand the whole "new tech" thing, as our tow vehicles are older, too.  But, the new vehicles have so many safety features  built in. I'm super happy for you. You're going to love that Hemi.

I'm baffled by your rep's insistence on the Anderson. I'd love to hear the "why." We've never used any type of sway bar or wdh, with our trucks and the Elite.

Your tongue weight on the Elite will likely be around 430 pounds. That leaves 1000 pounds for you, your dog, and a whole bunch of stuff in the truck, looking at your sticker. 

Edited by SeaDawg
Typo
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

29 minutes ago, SeaDawg said:

Awesome truck!!!

Congratulations! I  understand the whole "new tech" thing, as our tow vehicles are older, too.  But, the new vehicles have so many safety features  built in. I'm super happy for you. You're going to love that Hemi.

I'm baffled by your rep's insistence on the Anderson. I'd love to hear the "why." We've never used any type of sway bar or what, with our trucks and the Elite.

Your tongue weight on the Elite will likely be around 430 pounds. That leaves 1000 pounds for you, your dog, and a whole bunch of stuff in the truck, looking at your sticker. 

I am gonna call in the AM and gently inquire as to the push for the Anderson. I may gently go around the rep and ask for a manager and tell mgr experienced forum people are wondering why the push as well. No names of course. Just gathering intel. Baffling discrepancy. Thanks so much for your kind words and support!

Ram 1500 Rebel 4x4

Now Sold

states.png

• Moderators
1 hour ago, SherMica said:

I like that it makes tacos and shoots them out the glove box at me on voice command

Wow! That's funny.🤣🤣

Also shopping for a generator that will fit in Ollie "basket" option (or in whatever one buys to cover the back of a Ram 1500 Rebel securely) and

A tongue basket increases your tongue weight. I'd skip it.

A good choice for "out of sight", relatively lightweight cover for the bed is the Undercover bed cover. 

You'll find a lot if discussion on bed covers if you do a search, but we like ours.

• Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

are you getting the solar panels?

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, SherMica said:

No names of course. Just gathering intel. Baffling discrepancy. Thanks so much for your kind words and support!

You can use my name. I don't mind. 

I don't know anyone, personally,  who uses an Anderson, with a half ton pickup and towing an Elite. The last time I  made that statement,  someone did post and said they used one, but I can't remember the vehicle.

With an Elite II, much heavier tongue and trailer weight, it would make sense. I'll wait to hear the response you receive. All ears.🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

• Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• Moderators

https://tonneaucoversworld.com/p/undercover-se-tonneau-cover/

This is similar to our Undercover.  It's plastic, so fairly light, but strong enough to stand on. They have many options. As do other companies.

You'll need a bed cover, like the undercover, or something like it, to protect your stuff from the elements,  and prying eyes.

Since you're going to full-time, I'd discourage you from a fabric type tonneau. 

If you're getting the solar panel option, you won't probably need a generator that much. Think small. And light.

This might work, too. Kind of like the flip back. https://undercoverinfo.com/undercover-ultra-flex

Edited by SeaDawg
Add info
  • Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• Moderators

Im not really sure.. the old style basket probably weighed 50 or 60 lbs. My guess. Your rep could tell uou.

The new one is probably 8 or 10 pounds more.  The big thing is, what will you carry in it , and its weight, and why? 

One of my friends got one, carried stuff in it for a year or two, then decided it was inconvenient for anything but chocks and blocks. Sometimes a bit of firewood. 

You certainly have weight allowance for it, in the 10 to 15 per cent rule, but my personal opinion is it's awkward, kind of unattractive,  and gets in the way. I  use the tongue, while camped, to hold a 5 gallon water jug.

Good news is, you can always add one, later, if you truly find it necessary.  In 13 seasons,  we haven't found a good reason to add one.

Again, my opinion. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• Moderators

I am attaching a pic of it parked next to my nabe's SUV, which my Rebel looks like it could eat -- as a snack. Snarf!

Your rebel could probably eat my 2005 Silverado as a snack. Lol. 

• Haha 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

4 minutes ago, SeaDawg said:

Im not really sure.. the old style basket probably weighed 50 or 60 lbs. My guess. Your rep could tell uou.

The new one is probably 8 or 10 pounds more.  

Actually the old style one is not nearly that heavy. I did not weigh mine, but it is way, way lighter than a full 5 gallon jerry can, which is around 42 pounds. I guess the tray weight to be about 20-25 pounds.

9735C82B-C45C-494C-B125-E7B5994986EE.jpeg.2fe42a62d01a041922583ee3b0e8a48d.jpeg

There is hardly anything extra underneath the bottom plate which is 1/8” thick, just some brackets.

B913B477-8BA4-42A9-95B9-AD3C1B7EBCAD.jpeg.5a26a15bed7ab0ea3353552b86d74949.jpeg

I do agree that you should not put any additional weight on the tongue unless there is no other place for it. Lighter is better in many ways, and the LE2 does not show any signs of twitchiness when it has a light tongue weight. I can’t personally comment on the LE.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 3
  • Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators

Thanks, John!

You've lifted it, so you know better than I. 

Edited by SeaDawg
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

I had no trouble towing my LE1 with my 2019 F150 without a WD hitch.   But one day I was under the truck and I noticed the label on the hitch shown in the pic.  Rated for 1160 lbs with WD hitch, 500 lbs with tongue.   You might want to check yours, it could be similar.   You may pushing the limit, especially if you put anything in the basket.

A15E6791-49BE-4C2F-A59B-8DA048447855.jpeg

• Thanks 2

“Ramble” - 2021 Legacy Elite II #797;  2020 Ford F-250

• Moderators

You won’t need an Andersen with your new Rebel towing an Elite I.  We are driving the same truck and I’ve considered ditching my Andersen and getting airbags for towing my Elite II.  I mounted a light weight aluminum box on my tongue to carry blocks and chocks.  It was only about $100 and has worked well the last few years.  Congrats on the new truck!  Mike

D3A0CF1C-C37D-4206-B9A5-80E0ADE53045.jpeg

0D9AF404-08E6-4862-9564-C177FA32397A.jpeg

86E076E2-B19B-4A83-A572-432C9E97D0CD.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, Hokieman said:

I had no trouble towing my LE1 with my 2019 F150 without a WD hitch.   But one day I was under the truck and I noticed the label on the hitch shown in the pic.  Rated for 1160 lbs with WD hitch, 500 lbs with tongue.   You might want to check yours, it could be similar.   You may pushing the limit, especially if you put anything in the basket.

The manual for a 2020 Rebel says that a WDH is “recommended” for tongue weights over 500 lbs.  I don’t think the tongue weight for an Elite exceeds 500lbs.

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• Moderators

Thanks, Mike..

My tongue weight, Elite, cat scale, (2009?,) with partial black , grey, and fresh, loaded for camping was 420. 

Another good reason to skip the front tray.

• Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• Moderators

Thanks, hokieman.

I  really appreciate your input. 

Sherry 

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

3 hours ago, SeaDawg said:

https://tonneaucoversworld.com/p/undercover-se-tonneau-cover/

This is similar to our Undercover.  It's plastic, so fairly light, but strong enough to stand on. They have many options. As do other companies.

You'll need a bed cover, like the undercover, or something like it, to protect your stuff from the elements,  and prying eyes.

Since you're going to full-time, I'd discourage you from a fabric type tonneau. 

If you're getting the solar panel option, you won't probably need a generator that much. Think small. And light.

This might work, too. Kind of like the flip back. https://undercoverinfo.com/undercover-ultra-flex

I am getting the solar option, BUT . . .  I have no real concept of how much energy I will use or need, and tend to want to be over-prepped (stockpiled! ha!) rather than under, especially since I "plan" to be taking the Ollie around TN immediately after delivery at Hohenwald (to test stuff out and get the hang of things), and then . . .  I dunno yet, that's the "adventure" part . . . . head for SD perhaps. Unless there is a blizzard. Snort. Then, of course, I will stay slightly further south, but I don't want to be anywhere hot (love pines and cold, even snow, as I've said), and don't know if I will be in campgrounds (if there are reservations available, and I find a few I like and in that case I don't want to be moving every day or even every three days, necessarily). That's as far out as I have a plan. Hoping to establish domicile in SD (CPA loves the idea, saves me a ton) regardless, unless, like I said, there is ferocious winter and the Ollie and I just cannot handle it (Feb? March?). I may be the most n00by-ish n00b this forum has ever seen. HAHA! But, I "have a dream" and I am FLEXIBLE, even so. November is here, and I have Nov and Dec to really start paying attention and researching this stuff, making some reservations, etc. Prior to this, I was really way too busy with Life 101 stuff to sit down and gather up all the great info I have received from everyone and sort through it and PLAN a PLAN for Jan 31 2021 -->

Then again, this is about adventure for me and my dog. I am at a point where I have to "get busy livin' or get busy dyin'" (fave line from Shawshank Redemption), and I am a survivor and will try to enjoy EVERY day once I get that Ollie in TN. No matter where I end up -- freezing cold campgrounds in TN, trying boondocking sites (in TN?), or wandering on up to SD to set up "domicile" stuff (I am really going to go for it and be FT, and there is NO going back once I leave where I am now. Don't want to. Won't. Onward!

Thanks for the links! Bookmarking now. I definitely want something good and secure for the Ram and "stuff" that will be stowed in it. I still have to figure out how much "stuff" I can even take. "Everything must go" when you go FT, I think. Not sure even how many clothes, shoes, etc. I can fit in an Elite 1 and the Ram. Without overloading and all. Goodwill is a regular stop these days. 🙂

Edited by SherMica

Ram 1500 Rebel 4x4

Now Sold

states.png

1 hour ago, Hokieman said:

A15E6791-49BE-4C2F-A59B-8DA048447855.jpeg

Thank you so much for this. I am really going to be asking some serious WHY WHY WHY questions of the OTT people on the phone in the morning. I am going to quote directly from some of these posts (no names, but the content and opinions and experience) and ask WHY I am being sort of pushed into 1) the Anderson and 2) the basket. I hate to be suspicious, but I am starting to really wonder what the deal is, ya know? Maybe I need to make it CLEARER to the mgr at OTT that my Tow Vehicle is a Ram 1500 Rebel 4x4 and show them the pics of the door stickers I posted here? I really will get some answers. And I will post what they say -- and WHY.

Thanks you guys. I hate feeling so ignorant and don't want to get things I do NOT need and which could actually make my experience WORSE in any way. I want to be well-outfitted, prepared, SAFE, of course. But not over-sold and carrying things I do NOT NEED. Gah.

• Thanks 1

Ram 1500 Rebel 4x4

Now Sold

states.png

OK let me update. I looked over my 'Build Sheet' as it currently stands.

Yes, they added the ANDERSON ($799). But the BASKET comes as part of the "Outdoor Pro Package" which includes, in addition to the "Aluminum Storage Basket," the following:

Front and Rear Propane Quick Connects

Rear Bumper Receiver

Additional 30 AMP Convenience Connection

------

Not sure I can do away with "the basket" and still get the other stuff (which sounds useful) because the basket is part of the "package" addon. I will ask.

----

My other options/addons on the build sheet are:

AC Easy Start;

Hypervent Condensation Prevention Matting

Water Heater Option: Truma AquaGo Comfort Tankless Water Heater with Electric Antifreeze Kit

Power Package Option: Solar Pro Package for Legacy Elite - Two 6V AGM Batteries, 230 Watt Solar Panels with Charge Controller, 2000 Watt Inverter.

Electronics Pro Package Option for Legacy Elite: 4G Cell Phone Booster, WiFi Booster, Electronic KeyPad Door Handle, Backup Camera.

And lastly, the "Shower Track Package Option."

Ram 1500 Rebel 4x4

Now Sold

states.png