Speaker Upgrades

Jairon

• Moderators

You could try sending Don a PM.  He’s not on the forum any more since he sold his Oliver and moved on to an Australian off road RV.  Unless he deleted his account he would still get the PM.  

I thought about upgrading but the space inside the trailer is small and we don’t do high volume so the standard speakers have been fine.  Mike

Edited by Mike and Carol
Can’t spell
  • Thanks 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• Moderators
17 minutes ago, Mainiac said:

Just curious. Why consider an upgrade?

Better sound.  Replacing the standard speakers with an upgraded model should result in crisper highs and less muddled midrange, especially with a two way speaker.  I looked at adding a subwoofer in the space under the street side bed where my Blue Sky solar controller is.  There is a subwoofer out connection on the back of the Furrion. Other projects took priority and we’ve been okay with the sound from the standard Jensens.  They can get a little boomie and muddled sometimes, depending on what we’re listening to.  I don’t like the placement of the speakers at the bathroom end, one pointing forward and one pointing down.  Mike

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

1 hour ago, Mainiac said:

Just curious. Why consider an upgrade?

I've been spoiled by higher end audio for about 3 decades so the thought of cutting a hole in that beautiful fiberglass for a 5 dollar speaker hurts my feelings a bit 😁 The mounting patterns, sizes, and depths are all different so just getting what you want ahead of time seems logical if possible. I'm getting close to crunch time for my build so I'm just getting picky at this point.

Edited by Jairon
  • Like 2

2019 Toyota Land Cruiser

2021 Oliver Elite II, Hull #748

• Moderators

Here's a thread from years ago regarding don's speaker upgrade

Unfortunately,  early 2017 was about the end of "custom" installations, as far as I can see.

But, you can still get some modifications through the service center, after pickup. That's a good topic to bring up with your rep.

• Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Guess it is just a foreign concept to me, to lock my self inside a boom box. But then we spend most of our time outside listening to the wind and Mother Nature anyway. Also doubt any better speakers would make our occasional old John Wayne movies sound any better anyway. That all being said I can't imagine it would be that difficult to mount 'quality' surface mount or boxed speakers pointing in any direction. Would think the smooth fiberglass would bounce the acoustics in all directions.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mainiac said:

Guess it is just a foreign concept to me, to lock my self inside a boom box. But then we spend most of our time outside listening to the wind and Mother Nature anyway.

I too would love to spend most of my time outside; unfortunately, I'm not retired yet and a large chunk of my time will be spent working. I'm not interested in blasting music; most of the time it will simply be podcasts in the background. Regarding acoustics, I don't expect concert hall quality. I'm just interested in spending a little more than $5 per speaker for something that is going to be in the background for a large chunk of my time 😁

1 hour ago, SeaDawg said:

Unfortunately,  early 2017 was about the end of "custom" installations, as far as I can see.

Yeah, the speaker thing just seems so simple that it could be done post build with a note on the initial build saying "don't install speakers." I'm in the process of preparing an email with all of my final questions for my rep. I've already confirmed they will install the upgraded coupler post build. Speakers kind of feel like the same thing. I'll know shortly. 😃 Thanks for the thread though, I was reading through it last night.

2019 Toyota Land Cruiser

2021 Oliver Elite II, Hull #748

I'll add - as much as I enjoy music, and I have spent more $$ than I care to remember on equipment, I just don't use the  music capacity in the Oliver much.  Close  proximity of other campers prevents much more than barely audible, and  out boondocking  music just isn't important. 

RB

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201