Hitch makes a clunking sound when starting from a stop

ScottyGS

Occasionally I get a "clunk" sound when starting from a complete stop.   Also when coming to a complete stop.    Sometimes it's worse than others and sometimes not there at all.   I have checked the ball ( new from Anderson so shouldn't be that) and the inside of the bulldog hitch and am not seeing any wear.    I lubricate the ball with a light coating of grease before hooking up and make sure the Anderson chains are taut and straight.   Any idea what could be causing this?   Normal?    Should I be concerned?      Thanks in advance.

Scotty

Gregg & Donna Scott and Missy the Westie  -    The Flying Sea Turtle - Hull # 145     Western NC

CTDEGAMDMANHNJNYNCPASCTNVAxlg.jpg

Install the Andersen hitch but leave the trailer disconnected. With your hand, raise the rear of the hitch quickly so that it pivots on the hitch pin. Does it make the “clunk” sound that you’re hearing? I had a hitch that did this so I made a shim out of sheet metal that fit between the hitch and the receiver to limit the amount of pivot about the hitch pin. 

3D45D1E3-17D1-48A9-A4C5-416089928E32.thumb.jpeg.c81ce914a39ac8b66bf739c0c209e629.jpeg

The bends on each end keep it from slipping out of position. 

Edited by Townesw

Bill and Martha

2018 LEII Hull 313

2019 Chevrolet 2500HD Duramax

Thanks Bill.   That could be it and I didn't even think of checking that.  Was fixated on the ball.    I believe there is some play there.   

Gregg & Donna Scott and Missy the Westie  -    The Flying Sea Turtle - Hull # 145     Western NC

CTDEGAMDMANHNJNYNCPASCTNVAxlg.jpg

With the chains tensioned hard it is not likely that your bar is flopping up and down, but slop there will definitely be heard on uneven pavement when the chains are fairly slack or the trailer is disconnected. Like Bill I use a (stainless, 0.025”) steel shim under the bar, but I thought that it was just me being really anal.

Check the torque on all the visible hardware, make sure the chain mounts are in place and not moving on the frame. Check the two Bulldog coupler bolts! They can fail. Check your truck’s receiver mount hardware too! Make sure your coupler sleeve is not binding, the ball part should “self adjust”. The hinge at the front should be lubricated, not rusty, and also grease the ball contact area, even tho Andersen says not to.

You can install one of these to 100% stop movement at the receiver, but it makes installing/ removing your Andersen a real PITA.  OTH it makes it a whole lot harder to steal... Hitch Clamp .... This is the good one, a lot of its clones or other designs rust, bend, don’t fit, or have stupid names 😬. This is the brand you will find in most RV stores. I don’t use one with the Andersen but I do use one for pulling a dead weight rental trailer, to lessen the horrible banging noises....

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• 1 month later...
On 11/3/2020 at 7:17 AM, ScottyGS said:

Occasionally I get a "clunk" sound when starting from a complete stop.   Also when coming to a complete stop.    Sometimes it's worse than others and sometimes not there at all.   I have checked the ball ( new from Anderson so shouldn't be that) and the inside of the bulldog hitch and am not seeing any wear.    I lubricate the ball with a light coating of grease before hooking up and make sure the Anderson chains are taut and straight.   Any idea what could be causing this?   Normal?    Should I be concerned?      Thanks in advance.

Scotty

It’s probably the hitch pin in the receiver allowing the hitch to slide forward when braking and backward when accelerating. This will eventually enlarge the hole in the receiver. Amazon sells several devices to limit this.