Ultrafabric regrets?

Jairon

I'm guessing the number of people that opted for the standard floor plan AND the Ultrafabric upgrade is slim but I thought it would be worth asking since there is very little information on the forums about it. Has anyone purchased this upgrade and actually regretted doing so? Conversely, has anyone gone with the regular fabric and regretted not getting the upgrade? 🤐 I'd also love to hear anyone's thoughts on Brisa vs Ultraleather. AFAIK, Oliver is still installing Ultrafabric's Brisa line. Airstream folks seem to love their Ultrafabric Ultraleather though. The safe play seems to be: save $1000 dollars and if the fabric is awful, pay someone else to do it; that said, the experience here is so vast I couldn't help myself asking. Thanks again!

2019 Toyota Land Cruiser

2021 Oliver Elite II, Hull #748

Thanks for asking this question. This is the same discussion we were having earlier today. We are going with the twin beds so costs for us is only $299 so probably worth it. 

However we are also considering getting our mattresses from Southern Mattress to save around $650 on mattresses. In that case we want no cushions other than side dinette. 

I messaged our salesman today asking if the cost would still be $299 for the 4 side dinette cushions or are we forced to get all the standard cushions (we don’t want or need) and then have to pay to have all those recovered at a price of $949. 

In that case it negates an cost savings of going with Southern Mattress. 

Cindy

Charlie & Cindy / Cleburne, TX / 2021 Elite II Hull #743 / 2013 Ford F250 Diesel 4WD Supercab

States we've camped in our Oliver:

ALAZLANMTNTXUTsm.jpg

• Moderators

Jairon, we don't have ultrafabric in the trailer, but I  used Brisa on the sailboat, in the main salon cushions, on the recommendation of a friend who works in the luxury yacht industry. I do like it.

My favorite sleeping spot is in the salon, on the low side. The Brisa is very soft, and actually does seem to "breathe, " so on hot Florida evenings, it's still comfortable to sit or sleep on the Brisa.

I think the ultraleather is probably more durable,  (by 20 per cent or so), based on the Wyzenbeek double rub scales,  and it's definitely less stretchy to work with. Both are really fine fabrics, and very expensive. 

For the real beds/berth cushions in the boat, I used a mildew resistant, hospitality grade fabric, as I  was concerned about abrasion and stretch. The Brisa is far more comfortable, actually, and now I sometimes  wish I  had used Brisa everywhere,  as my friendsuggested. I  definitely have to use mattress pads on the fabric, as it's really stiff. (This is not a fabric Oliver uses. Their fabric choices are not as stiff as what I chose for the boat, by far.) My little dog can't do much damage to anything, as she's only 9 pounds, and doesn't sit on the salon benches and bunks, anyway.

I do have a few tiny stains (small spots) on the Brisa, several years in, that I haven't been able to remove. Mine is a pale grey. But, that's the nature of boats. They are otherwise very easy to maintain, and no treatment required.

I  don't have much experience with ultraleather,  as I've only used it on dining chair seats and storage benches. 

I don't know if Oliver still makes reversible cushions. All of ours on the boat are marine style, with breathable meshy fabric on the bottom. That could also make a difference.  

Are you using cushions on the bed, or a mattress?

Edited by SeaDawg
  • Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

Also, a lot of people call any ultrafabric "ultraleather." Someone posted a photo awhile back of an Airstream with ultrafabric cushions in the color "salsa," which I am pretty sure is exclusive to brisa.  (Just to confuse things more...)

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

6 minutes ago, Time2Go! said:

Thanks for asking this question. This is the same discussion we were having earlier today. We are going with the twin beds so costs for us is only $299 so probably worth it. 

However we are also considering getting our mattresses from Southern Mattress to save around $650 on mattresses. In that case we want no cushions other than side dinette. 

I messaged our salesman today asking if the cost would still be $299 for the 4 side dinette cushions or are we forced to get all the standard cushions (we don’t want or need) and then have to pay to have all those recovered at a price of $949. 

In that case it negates an cost savings of going with Southern Mattress. 

Cindy

The $299 upgrade price is for the Twin bed with mattresses instead of cushions.  The only cushions you get with these options are the dinette seat x2 and back x2

Ultra Fabric upgrade prices for various floor plan options as per the 2021 price sheet:

Standard Floor plan (standard cushions) - $949

Standard and Twin floor plans with mattresses - $299

Twin floor plan with standard cushions (twin cushions and dinette - $699

Twin with couch cushions (I'm assuming seat and back cushions on both beds) - $849

Twin with 1 couch and 1 KTT mattress - $649

I asked about additional cushions, just out of curiosity; two dinette seat backs in fabric were quoted at $500.  I told Oliver this seems like a lot for2 standard size (not custom) fabric cushions, but was told it is still considered a custom order.  I wanted them for side"arms" for transforming the dinette into a sofa, but not that badly.  I found two appropriately sized 14"x24" feather pillows at Sierra Trading Post online for $20 each; these will also work as back cushions on the ends of the twin beds plus will add a touch of color.  When I ordered there were 4 available.  I wish I had ordered all 4; now they are gone!

Karma Stripe Pillow.jpg

• Like 1

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

• Moderators

imo, considering the skills and equipment requirements to work with Brisa, and its additional cost, $299 is a really fair price for 4 cushions. The stuff is ridiculously pricey. But, you'll find it on luxury yachts, all over the world. Real leather is a disaster in marine environments. Brisa is, imo, a great alternative to real leather. 

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

25 minutes ago, SeaDawg said:

Jairon, we don't have ultrafabric in the trailer, but I  used Brisa on the sailboat, in the main salon cushions, on the recommendation of a friend who works in the luxury yacht industry. I do like it.

My favorite sleeping spot is in the salon, on the low side. The Brisa is very soft, and actually does seem to "breathe, " so on hot Florida evenings, it's still comfortable to sit or sleep on the Brisa.

I think the ultraleather is probably more durable,  (by 20 per cent or so), based on the Wyzenbeek double rub scales,  and it's definitely less stretchy to work with. Both are really fine fabrics, and very expensive. 

For the real beds/berth cushions in the boat, I used a mildew resistant, hospitality grade fabric, as I  was concerned about abrasion and stretch. The Brisa is far more comfortable, actually, and now I sometimes  wish I  had used Brisa everywhere,  as my friendsuggested. I  definitely have to use mattress pads on the fabric, as it's really stiff. (This is not a fabric Oliver uses. Their fabric choices are not as stiff as what I chose for the boat, by far.) My little dog can't do much damage to anything, as she's only 9 pounds, and doesn't sit on the salon benches and bunks, anyway.

I do have a few tiny stains (small spots) on the Brisa, five years in, that I haven't been able to remove. Mine is a pale grey. But, that's the nature of boats. They are otherwise very easy to maintain, and no treatment required.

I  don't have much experience with ultraleather,  as I've only used it on dining chair seats and storage benches. 

I don't know if Oliver still makes reversible cushions. All of ours on the boat are marine style, with breathable meshy fabric on the bottom. That could also make a difference.  

We had Ultraleather in our camper van and liked it a lot.  After 4 years of use, it still looked new; med-taupe color.  We ordered our Oliver Twin with mattresses and ultra fabric dinette; Midnight decor - Grey Jay dinette cushions.  We also purchased some extra back cushions from another Oliver owner in Flannel (dark grey) fabric that we plan to use as back cushions for a dinette sofa.

As far as I know, the 2021 Oliver cushions are still reversible; someone please correct me if I am wrong.

https://www.ultrafabricsinc.com/grey-jay  $75/yard

Edited by Susan Huff
  • Thanks 1

Ray and Susan Huff

• Moderators

Btw, Susan, those pillows are really pretty ! Good choice.

• Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

14 minutes ago, SeaDawg said:

Are you using cushions on the bed, or a mattress?

Thanks again for the great info. We're going to get crazy and try cushions instead of the mattress. That said, breathability is a big concern. The cloth cushions seem like they would be easier to handle during brutal heat but your comment gives me some hope. Durability and ease of cleaning is pretty much the only reason we're considering the upgrade. You're also correct about Ultraleather being slightly more durable than Brisa based on their scuff testing.

2019 Toyota Land Cruiser

7 minutes ago, SeaDawg said:

Btw, Susan, those pillows are really pretty ! Good choice.

I'm excited about adding some personal touches to our Oliver; my husband thinks I'm crazy sometimes, but he appreciates me, regardless 😁

• Like 1

Ray and Susan Huff

• Moderators

Jairon,  do you have big dogs? That would be my biggest concern with Brisa. Or, Ultraleather,  for that matter. The wyzenbeek scale is not that much different,  for the two. The comfort level is probably more different. 

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2 minutes ago, SeaDawg said:

do you have big dogs? That would be my biggest concern with Brisa. Or, Ultraleather,  for that matter.

We have a 35 lbs dog. We're also delusional in thinking we can keep him from jumping onto the uncovered cushions. 😁

2019 Toyota Land Cruiser

• Moderators

Either way. I'll definitely say, ultrafabric is easier to clean than many fabrics. 

We keep a bed for our dog on one of the small dinette seats. It's "her" space. If I  need my seat, her bed moves to the rear bed. We keep the big dinette set up as a bed, all the time.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

41 minutes ago, SeaDawg said:

Wouldn't that require 2x the fabric? I thought all of the Brisa line was Rayon Backed.

2019 Toyota Land Cruiser

• Moderators

Btw, can you mix it up? As I did on the boat? Fabric on the rear, Ultrafabric on the small dinette?

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• Moderators
Just now, Jairon said:

Wouldn't that require 2x the fabric? I thought all of the Brisa line was Rayon Backed.

no, its about 1/4 to 1/3  less, to use the mesh. The bottom of marine cushions is usually mesh, these days. 

I can't comment on breathability with two-sided brisa cushions, because I don't have experience with them. 

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

14 minutes ago, Jairon said:

We have a 35 lbs dog. We're also delusional in thinking we can keep him from jumping onto the uncovered cushions. 😁

We have a red leather down filled sectional at home.  When our grand-dog stays with us, I have to remember to flip up the cushions at night 😊

Ray and Susan Huff

2 minutes ago, SeaDawg said:

no, its about 1/4 to 1/3  less, to use the mesh.

Ah, I follow you now I think. You mean you could flip the cushions and still have Ultrafabric on the top and bottom. I was thinking Oliver made it so you could actually turn the cushions inside out and still have Ultraleather 😂

• Like 1

2019 Toyota Land Cruiser

9 minutes ago, SeaDawg said:

Btw, can you mix it up? As I did on the boat? Fabric on the rear, Ultrafabric on the small dinette?

Doesn't hurt to ask . . . . . but that might be considered a custom order . . . . .  we were fortunate to find an Oliver owner who had purchased extra back cushions (Flannel Fabric upholstery) then decided they were too much of a bother to carry.  When we toured their Elite II, they offered them to us at considerably less than Oliver wants for just two back cushions.  Post a "looking for" ad in the classified forums; you might get lucky!

Ray and Susan Huff

• Moderators

Our dog, and our granddog, are fine with leather. No issues.  But neither one is over 20 pounds.

And, we keep nails clipped. I think that's the big problem. 

• Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• 4 months later...
  • Moderators

@Jairon We took the boat on a little trip this past week, and I thought about your Brisa questions. I  took a photo of one settee's salon cushions, which are now 9 or 10 years old. 

They're in remarkably good shape, I think. A bit of stretch, as would be expected, especially with the rolled front edge for leg support when seated. I got all the tiny spots out. There's one tiny snag in one seat cushion, probably from someone sitting on it with a tool or something sharp in his pocket. Or dropping something like it. 🤔

As per instructions,  I  clean only with water or a mild soap solution, and don't treat them with anything.

The main salon is favorite sleeping spot for off watch crew. (Least movement, center of the boat.)

We do take them off the boat in the off season, and store them in the garage.

20210314_114412.jpg

Edited by SeaDawg
  • Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

4 hours ago, SeaDawg said:

They're in remarkably good shape

Your cushions look great!

We're really happy we opted for the Ultrafabric. I was initially worried about the overall quality of the cushions in addition to the material itself but I'm happy to report that the fabric is great, the stitching is great, YKK zippers were used, and the foam is surprisingly comfortable. Your comments made me pull the trigger so I owe you one! Actually, I'll owe you one every time someone spills anything on the seats! 😁

Edited by Jairon
  • Thanks 1

2019 Toyota Land Cruiser

• Moderators
33 minutes ago, Jairon said:

Actually, I'll actually owe you one every time someone spills anything on the seats! 😁

Trust me, spills are not an unusual thing on boats....

I'm just really happy with the Ultrafabric,  and I  was skeptical,  too, when our friend who works in the luxury yacht industry strongly recommended the Brisa. We both owe him. It's his birthday today, so raise a glass.

At this point, I'm convinced the cushions should be good for another 10 years. Which makes me really happy, as cushion replacement is not cheap.

Edited by SeaDawg
  • Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• Moderators
34 minutes ago, Jairon said:

YKK zippers

I won't use anything else. Too much work for cheap substitutes that don't last.

Some years ago, we started treating zippers on the boat with a product called zipper lube. Really helps with longevity. Even ykk gets tired on the sun. 

Edited by SeaDawg
  • Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

We chose Ultra-fabric for durability.  We had the same in our camper van and it does live up to the name - "Ultra".

My only complaint is that I tend to slide off the cushions as opposed to fabric upholstery, but the ease of cleaning is more of a draw for me.  The rolled front cushions in @SeaDawg's photo above would eliminate the sliding.  Maybe a future mod? 

• Like 1

Ray and Susan Huff